How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I believe I may have misinterpreted these two portions.

How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

I grouped them together, thinking games can only be resold once. I really should of looked at them independently. The first part says nothing about games being sold only once. In fact, it looks like games can always be resold. And for the second part, it says "each game can only be given once." Looking at that independently, it looks like you can only give your game away once. It says nothing about your friend being unable to give/sell the game. I think that second part needs to be made more clear because it can be interpreted in two different ways.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
IDK why they didn't just make it to where buying a game on disc requires the disk to be in the console to authorize it. You wouldn't need an internet connection and the game could still be run off the harddrive. Disc would just be for authentication.

On another note: will downloading the game be cheaper than buying the disc?

Was just thinking that myself - technically it should be cheaper to download as your not paying for the blu ray - the burning process - packaging and delivery to store and store mark up. Hopefully it is and maybe that's the way forward into pushing people to go fully digital download.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If I owned a publisher, here are some policies I would have.

No reselling of the game for the first 30 days after launch

I want $15 from the resale for the first 3 months resales are available. Then $10 for 8 months after that. Then $5 for 3 yrs after that. Then $2 forever.

This is not because of "greed." It's about surviving as a business. Development costs of AAA games are through the roof and it continues to rise.

It's nice to be able to own a studio where you have a stable staff. It sucks having to lay off half the people after every game and then hope the decent ones are still available 6 months down the line when you can afford to hire again.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Could the potential be for XBOX One games being cheaper because of the publisher friendly incentives now for their games?

I'd love it if XBOX One games drop in price to 45-50 dollars...

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I believe I may have misinterpreted these two portions.

I grouped them together, thinking games can only be resold once. I really should of looked at them independently. The first part says nothing about games being sold only once. In fact, it looks like games can always be resold. And for the second part, it says "each game can only be given once." Looking at that independently, it looks like you can only give your game away once. It says nothing about your friend being unable to give/sell the game. I think that second part needs to be made more clear because it can be interpreted in two different ways.

So technically if your going to sell a game via ebay you could also advertise your gamertag - prospective buyers add you as a friend then buy the game off you at the price your selling it for 30 days later. After they've done that you can if you wanted remove then from your friends list.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Was just thinking that myself - technically it should be cheaper to download as your not paying for the blu ray - the burning process - packaging and delivery to store and store mark up. Hopefully it is and maybe that's the way forward into pushing people to go fully digital download.

Those things dont cost very much money in volume.

I wouldn't expect a discount for digital-only. At least not by very much. Though even $5 or $10 cheaper would be nice.

But keep in mind that with higher graphical fidelity and higher expectations on performance, development costs are going to increase.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Those things dont cost very much money in volume.

I wouldn't expect a discount for digital-only. At least not by very much. Though even $5 or $10 cheaper would be nice.

But keep in mind that with higher graphical fidelity and higher expectations on performance, development costs are going to increase.

But, costs are also higher because they get no piece of the pie with resells... now they do...

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
The policies announced don't effect me at all and the convenience of digital and family share makes it a plus for me. I think there are going to be a bunch of upset Sony fans when they announce similar restrictions. At this point all Sony has said is no constant online required....same could be said about the One. And drm left up to publisher, which is the same as the One.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So technically if your going to sell a game via ebay you could also advertise your gamertag - prospective buyers add you as a friend then buy the game off you at the price your selling it for 30 days later. After they've done that you can if you wanted remove then from your friends list.

I think a better solution would be if eBay implements a system where game sellers can be connected to Microsoft's database through eBay's servers and that allows for used game purchases.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If the digital download price is the same as buying a disc, why would anyone download a game? With digital, you have no means possible of reselling the game, which is still up to the games developer to enable/handle.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
If the digital download price is the same as buying a disc, why would anyone download a game? With digital, you have no means possible of reselling the game, which is still up to the games developer to enable/handle.

I thought I heard a rumor that you could sell it back to Microsoft if you wish... You couldn't 'gift/sell it' to a friend, but you could give it back to MS for a stated fee. Not sure if that one was true.. but you never know...

Some people just don't sell their games back so it wouldn't matter either way. Doesn't seem to be that big of a deal on the PC front with Steam and Origin... since I don't believe you can sell those games either...

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd hope/love it to be Winning Guy. It could go a long way to appease potential buyers...

Though, I think the actual amount of people 'angered' by these new things are fewer than the people excited about things like the family share stuff.. (which is awesome btw...)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think there are going to be a bunch of upset Sony fans when they announce similar restrictions. At this point all Sony has said is no constant online required....same could be said about the One. And drm left up to publisher, which is the same as the One.

I think its wishful thinking. Unless Sony has basically lied in its statements it wont have the same DRM restrictions the X1 has for lending games which is a key point for gamers and they definitely seem to not be requiring any online connectivity to play games. These are going to be the headline features people see and what will turn people away from the X1.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'd hope/love it to be Winning Guy. It could go a long way to appease potential buyers...

Though, I think the actual amount of people 'angered' by these new things are fewer than the people excited about things like the family share stuff.. (which is awesome btw...)

Yes, I think the impact of this is being seriously underestimated. Having access to 10 people's games expands my "collection" TREMENDOUSLY. Why Buy Halo 5 when I can just wait until my friend is done playing his copy and then I can play? A shared collection will dramatically change people's buying habits.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think its wishful thinking. Unless Sony has basically lied in its statements it wont have the same DRM restrictions the X1 has for lending games which is a key point for gamers and they definitely seem to not be requiring any online connectivity to play games. These are going to be the headline features people see and what will turn people away from the X1.

What would be typical of Sony though is to say one thing then 6 months after the launch remove the feature once people start exploiting it.

If I were to ever buy a PS4 I would get a lawyer to read through the SCEE terms of use.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

Haven't they already (technically) said the exact thing that Microsoft has said? That the DRM stuff is up to the publisher? Which is essentially what MS is doing. The only thing Sony has unequivocally said is that the PS4 isn't 'always connected.' But, then again.. the XBOX One isn't technically 'always-connected' as well. Sure, there is the 24 hour check, but Sony could have that too. Who knows. They haven't said either way.

Sony is getting a pass for not saying ANYTHING and letting Microsoft take the heat. But, I have a hard time believing that Sony isn't doing something similar to Microsoft....

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
What would be typical of Sony though is to say one thing then 6 months after the launch remove the feature once people start exploiting it.

If I were to ever buy a PS4 I would get a lawyer to read through the SCEE terms of use.

Its possible but even then its a good strategy because they would have benefitted from the negativity around the X1 but I dont see them doing that. I would imagine anything like whats being discussed would be in place from day one.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its possible but even then its a good strategy because they would have benefitted from the negativity around the X1 but I dont see them doing that. I would imagine anything like whats being discussed would be in place from day one.

Didn't work out too well for them on the PS3 though did it. When they removed functions prosecuted Hotz and got smashed by anonymous I know first hand 15 people that dumped their PS3's in favour of 360's

Doesn't take much to extrapolate my 15 people I know locally into globally to come up with a big drop in users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss