How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Haven't they already (technically) said the exact thing that Microsoft has said? That the DRM stuff is up to the publisher? Which is essentially what MS is doing. The only thing Sony has unequivocally said is that the PS4 isn't 'always connected.' But, then again.. the XBOX One isn't technically 'always-connected' as well. Sure, there is the 24 hour check, but Sony could have that too. Who knows. They haven't said either way.

Sony is getting a pass for not saying ANYTHING and letting Microsoft take the heat. But, I have a hard time believing that Sony isn't doing something similar to Microsoft....

What they said in the linked article is that there is no online requirement to play games so you would be able to play games offline if you want for any amount of time. With the X1 if you dont connect in a 24 hour period you cant even do that. Pretty big difference.

Then there is the lending/giving of games to friends where Sony has said there are no restrictions. I think there are significant differences in these two scenarios, DRM implemented in the game by the publishers could turn out to be similar but these other two scenarios are the sticking points.

Didn't work out too well for them on the PS3 though did it. When they removed functions prosecuted Hotz and got smashed by anonymous I know first hand 15 people that dumped their PS3's in favour of 360's

I think it was the prosecution and espcially hacking that turned more people off the ps3, not the removal of features.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The reason I see Sony doing something similar is that this appears to be something the publishers/developers have been pushing for, for quite sometime. Is Sony really going to say to developers/publishers, "We can't do that we're going to go another way." and the risk be that the developers/publishers respond with, "That's cool. We won't make games for your platform now. Since the protections for us that MS is willing to offer aren't here with you guys."

Sony, apparently, lost a ton of money investing into the PS3. I find it hard to believe that they would position themselves in such a way that they WOULDN'T get the blockbuster 3rd party games. Being 'different' from the rest of the industry really hasn't worked into Nintendo's favor (from the 3rd party perspective). I don't see it working here either.

But, we can moan and complain all we want, but the reality is, wherever the best GAMES are, people will flock to. If the system that Microsoft has put in place benefits the publisher/developers... than that's where the best games will go. The users will follow. Because its the games that matter...

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
What they said in the linked article is that there is no online requirement to play games so you would be able to play games offline if you want for any amount of time. With the X1 if you dont connect in a 24 hour period you cant even do that. Pretty big difference.

Then there is the lending/giving of games to friends where Sony has said there are no restrictions. I think there are significant differences in these two scenarios, DRM implemented in the game by the publishers could turn out to be similar but these other two scenarios are the sticking points.

Sony said NO CONSTANT INTERNET requirement. The XBOX One doesn't require that either. His words can be interpreted either way.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The reason I see Sony doing something similar is that this appears to be something the publishers/developers have been pushing for, for quite sometime. Is Sony really going to say to developers/publishers, "We can't do that we're going to go another way." and the risk be that the developers/publishers respond with, "That's cool. We won't make games for your platform now. Since the protections for us that MS is willing to offer aren't here with you guys."

Sony, apparently, lost a ton of money investing into the PS3. I find it hard to believe that they would position themselves in such a way that they WOULDN'T get the blockbuster 3rd party games. Being 'different' from the rest of the industry really hasn't worked into Nintendo's favor (from the 3rd party perspective). I don't see it working here either.

But, we can moan and complain all we want, but the reality is, wherever the best GAMES are, people will flock to. If the system that Microsoft has put in place benefits the publisher/developers... than that's where the best games will go. The users will follow. Because its the games that matter...

Its the online requirement and lending and trading games thats the issue and where Sony has explicitly said there wont be any restrictions. Microsoft's lend once rule is separate from any publisher DRM so if the game does not restrict trading the X1 game can only be given to someone once while PS4 games have no restriction.

Sony said NO CONSTANT INTERNET requirement. The XBOX One doesn't require that either. His words can be interpreted either way.

And after 24 hours without internet on both systems which one will still be able to play games? Its stated one way to emphasise "constant" but the functionality actually works out that you do need an internet connection on the X1 to play games.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Its the online requirement and lending and trading games thats the issue and where Sony has explicitly said there wont be any restrictions.

Sony said they won't support DRM but Sony is still allowing DRM on the PS4.

Sony Reaffirms that the Playstation 4 will not Utilize DRM
“At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that."

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it was the prosecution and espcially hacking that turned more people off the ps3, not the removal of features.

Removal of features led to the prosecution which led to the hacking. Chain of events. Bottom line is Sony didn't care much for the consequences and offered little to nothing for the inconvenience.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Like I said, there has to be (call me an eternal optimist) a system in place that allows XBOX One users circumvent the 24 hour thing for those occasions that your internet goes down for more than 24 hours. Like I've said before - last week a storm literally ripped out my internet line and I was left without internet access for 4 or 5 days. If they state, "Oh yeah, BTW, in situations where your internet goes down for an extended period of time just use this two step process with your phone, or scan this code on your phone, etc... and all will be good."

Inconvenient? Sure is. But, hopefully there will be a system in place.

I love the Microsoft ecosystem (call me a ****** if you will). But, I also have a PS3 that I really only use for movies. For the most part, I prefer the controller on the 360/XBOX One than I do the controller for the PS1/2/3/4. That and I like the games that Microsoft has as first party more than Sony's. Though, I did love the crap out of the Uncharted series (I own all 3 on the PS3).

I'm not a doom and gloom person at all. It never is nearly as bad as people make it out to be. We'll see. Monday *SHOULD* explain a lot when Microsoft gets on stage and I look forward to hearing more info from Sony.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I dont understand all the drama some people are making over this. especially when they are like "get a PC"... when PC has this kind of stuff all the time with examples like steam and origin, and well... you cant even resell those games! well... just look smartphones and tablets, you cant resell those games either, so why cant big publishers have a system to protect their games and business in consoles as well? I know its not the best thing, but you know some people pirate games or only buy used games, so a publisher doesn't get money from that. money in theory they should get specially when someone pirates the game.

some people would say "but this sucks because some people don't have internet" but this is a modern console!! MODERN!!!! and just like other devices, like a smartphone, or tablet. it will not be a good experience with no internet! (im sure of that). because internet is required in today technology for a lot of things. so saying this shouldn't exist because some people wont have internet, its like saying, why is there so much technology when some people don't have electricity or my electricity sucks so technology shouldn't exist because I wouldn't enjoy it when my power is gone...
but and too many things need internet today! its not like internet its unknown anymore. and people have access to it like really easily and cheap in a lot of cases (people commenting clearly have, because they need internet to do it)

PS4 might not have a 24 hour checking, but do people really think PS4 wont have a system like this? or do you think publishers would be happy to hear Microsoft "cares" about them, but Sony doesn't care/help them? no!
Publishers would probably tell sony to start doing the same and if they don't agree (pretending ps4 doesn't already have that, which I doubt they don't) publishers could go to Xbox One, and that means more games for Xbox One, and then more sales because its not like people will say "I wont get my favorite game in PS4, but I wont buy xbox one which has it now, because it requires me to connect to internet which I already plan to do anyway".

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who plays PC games could've seen this coming a long time ago. I think the PS4 is definitely going to have a system like this. Developers and publishers have been clamoring for a system like this for a long time and if Sony doesn't do something similar then the PS4 will be an afterthought for a lot of developers.

The only thing I don't understand is why there's a need to check in every 24 hours. Why not just require a check when you're installing and then you're good to go after that? This is the way it works on Steam, and I think it works pretty well. I can't think of a reason to require a check in after the game's already installed. Am I missing something?

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
...and I'm betting that Sony will give the publisher the ability to use DRM. I doubt that a publisher will make a game with DRM on one platform, but not another.

...Isn't that what I just said o_O?

"Edit: I knew I read it somewhere. Sony will not be doing "Always Online" and any DRM issues will be left to the publishers."

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Sony said they won't support DRM but Sony is still allowing DRM on the PS4.

Sony Reaffirms that the Playstation 4 will not Utilize DRM
“At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that."

This is separate from Microsoft's 24-hour online check in & lend once rule.
No online check in to play offline: http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/ps4-online-questions-answered-mark-cerny/

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
This is separate from Microsoft's 24-hour online check in & lend once rule.

The difference is that Microsoft has an official rule in play. Sony is saying they won't stop it. Even if Sony doesn't have a 24-hour online check, publishers can still limit/stop gamers from lending games out.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The difference is that Microsoft has an official rule in play. Sony is saying they won't stop it. Even if Sony doesn't have a 24-hour online check, publishers can still limit/stop gamers from lending games out.

If a game is delivered with no restrictions for offline play Sony has no requirement to be online, the X1 does. If the game publisher has no restrictions on lending games, Microsoft has. Its a clear difference. Everyone is assuming game publishers will definitely add some DRM, but if they dont the X1 is more restrictive than the PS4.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how Sony can get away without some measure in place... If you can install a game and run it off HD with no disc, than just buy 1 copy of a game and share it with everyone in your city... Or does PS4 require the disc to play?

I mean, the more I think about it, sounds like people online think the PS4 ships with an illegal mod chip already installed that is fully sanctioned by Sony and allows for you to rent a game for a day and continue playing it after returning the disc. That can't be right.

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, there has to be (call me an eternal optimist) a system in place that allows XBOX One users circumvent the 24 hour thing for those occasions that your internet goes down for more than 24 hours

I swear nobody has read the actual Microsoft press release. It says in big fat letters this can be done easily via mobile internet.

Pretty much every article I've read across all the tech sites misses this vital information, or hides it at the bottom of the article, deliberately to prompt nerd rage.

I honestly can't remember the last time I went 24 hours without access to the internet via Broadband, Wifi, or mobile broadband. Can't say i'm worried about the 24 hour timer.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I swear nobody has read the actual Microsoft press release. It says in big fat letters this can be done easily via mobile internet.

Pretty much every article I've read across all the tech sites misses this vital information, or hides it at the bottom of the article, deliberately to prompt nerd rage.

I honestly can't remember the last time I went 24 hours without access to the internet via Broadband, Wifi, or mobile broadband. Can't say i'm worried about the 24 hour timer.

I read it but I still have a question of how. If it's just tethering then the problem is that most people don't have internet sharing or don't want to pay for it. If it can be done via smartglass/wifi direct then awesome.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, fortunately I'm on a Share plan that enables mobile hotspoting for free, but it's a bit troublesome if you're not on that plan. Understandable if you have to pay more per month for it.

I also wonder how this 24 hour check will effect our men and women overseas? Not sure if they are going to have a stable connection all the time.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think I read that they did have a special plan for military personnel for that exact reason. Dont have a source at hand, though.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
DRM has always existed on consoles, with maybe the exception of the Dreamcast, but Microsoft is choosing to push it into the internet age where Sony is hanging on to the Disc as Nintendo hung on to the cartridge.

Nintendo hardware engineer when the Playstation was announced said:
What is Sony thinking going to Disc based DRM? It will surely fail.
Sony hardware engineer today said:
What is Microsoft thinking going to Internet based DRM? It will surely fail.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I think I read that they did have a special plan for military personnel for that exact reason. Dont have a source at hand, though.
I've read the same (or heard it on a major nelson podcast or something, I truly don't remember). I have been unable to find the source though. Really wish I would screenshot things like these - guess I assumed it was general knowledge by the time I read it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs