How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That's a bit of a ignorant statement to make, don't you think?

Nope. If you truly are poor, then you should be spending money on necessities.

Once you have necessities, your priority is to find a way out of poverty.

Spending your money on expensive luxuries when you are truly poor is a bad decision and should be discouraged.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
ok so now what your saying quoting me is that if you have no internet then your poor?

If you have no internet, you're not necessarily poor. You may have just decided that internet isn't a priority.

But if that's the case, you shouldn't buy an XBOX ONE.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Consumers have so far seemed okay with the disc having to be present. Being able to play without the disc is not enough to justify the loss of being able to resell your games.

The console isn't being made for "now." It's made for the next decade.

Just like when gamers fframed out that the original Xbox only had broadband support, and no way for people with dialup connections to play.

Times change.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The console isn't being made for "now." It's made for the next decade.

Just like when gamers fframed out that the original Xbox only had broadband support, and no way for people with dialup connections to play.

Times change.
Ironic that you cite the console with the shortest lifespan as an example of advancing on features to make it built for the future.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
You know, while I do have Verizon Fios at home, I can't help but imagine having a friend coming over, and wanting to play one of his games for an hour or more. I mean, would it be "streamed" or would he have to "download" it to my system's HD? I don't expect a minimum 32GB file to just finish up in 20 or so minutes.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Nope. If you truly are poor, then you should be spending money on necessities.

Once you have necessities, your priority is to find a way out of poverty.

Spending your money on expensive luxuries when you are truly poor is a bad decision and should be discouraged.

I know many ppeople who definitely aren't rich, maybe living paycheck to paycheck, are trying to better their lives, and will save as much and for as long as they can to get their kid a game console they want. Its not like they are taking their last paycheck that can go to paying the water bill and buying consoles. Again, I'm far from well off or comfortable. But I'm in a good situation where I don't have to worry about such things.

The other day, I read some boneheaded game executive made a comment about Nintendo needing to go multiplatform with its first party games because young people were going to miss out on some great games. I hope the same sentiment is expressed when some young people can't play great games because they don't have an internet connection. I'm just glad I grew up in a time where my parents could just buy me a SNES, I open up it up on Xmas, set it up and play.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Reading the comment again, I may have misinterpreted what got some upset.

I guess the MS guy implied that everyone without an internet connection is poor; which isn't true.

I was more commenting on if someone was TRULY poor.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I still stand by the fact that I believe physical disc should rule in any case, for resale, transfer, etc. Digital purchases should be where they are today (non-transferable).

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Reading the comment again, I may have misinterpreted what got some upset.

I guess the MS guy implied that everyone without an internet connection is poor; which isn't true.

I was more commenting on if someone was TRULY poor.

well that was what the Ms rep was trying to imply without knowing any other info my boy lives in benzonia Michigan 1mb which is the most he can get its twice what I pay and he's say on average its no where near around 200kb horrible and no he's not poor!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes more than I do! And that's why he doesn't have internet not worth it

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I still stand by the fact that I believe physical disc should rule in any case, for resale, transfer, etc.

Just look at the 360. You got your disk, you installed it, and basically all your disk was, was a method of validating the game. You spent more time finding the disk, and putting it in the console, than the console actually used it.

That seems soo archaic, compared to an ipad, or smartphone, where you are moving between games and applications constantly, no messing with disks. Microsoft realise this. and within a month or two, of usage of the xbox one, people will wonder how they every lived like that before.

All Microsoft need to do, is make sure the daily authorisation is seemless, and quick when using the console or smartphone, and the advantages will quickly outweigh the disadvantages.

If Microsoft has any sense, they'll change the pricing model anyway, so you have the choice when purchasing a game, $50 RRP for a game with reusable code, or $30 RRP with a non-resellable code.

That said, Microsoft have already said games will be available digitally on day one, so I'm not sure i'll bother buying games on disk at all. I always hated waiting for the postman on launch day, or having to queue at the shops for the next big game. So Microsoft just need to make digital downloads able to be purchased/downloaded in advance, and the games will fly off the digital shelves.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Just look at the 360. You got your disk, you installed it, and basically all your disk was, was a method of validating the game. You spent more time finding the disk, and putting it in the console, than the console actually used it.
I see what the point of your post is, but I can't be the only one who installs just one or two of my favorite games at a time. Majority of the discs I swap in and out of my 360 actually spin and don't get installed. And I never install when I first get a game because I get anxious to play it and don't want to waste time installing it.

Consoles were founded on external physical media (from cartridges to CDs) and I don't see why both mediums can't coexist. I mean, I know they won't. Like the PC, discs are now just methods to install the game and nothing more. It started with the PS3 with mandatory installs, now the Xbox One with mandatory installs, and who knows about wild card Nintendo...

I certainly love the option of digital-only titles though, but I will still miss ye olde least complicated method of popping in a disc and playing from it. No need to install, no need to worry about having hard drive space for the game...

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to see how "honest" publishers or MS is going to be with their unique trade in/sell back visibility. Will it be on the game boxes somewhere? Maybe on the box of the 720? Or will it be buried somewhere in the manual?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It will be interesting to see what Sony does. No way they are going to let you buy a game, install it once then give the disk to 20 of your closes buddies to install. Sure Sony themselves may not have a DRM scheme but you can bet the publishers will, or why would they even develop for it?

It's not going to stop me from getting the One, but I still think they should have a "disc in the drive" requirement as a backup plan if the internet stopped working. You can burn specific serial type numbers into Blu-Ray disks so that would have been a perfect backup plan. Either way, they are taking my money.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It will be interesting to see what Sony does. No way they are going to let you buy a game, install it once then give the disk to 20 of your closes buddies to install. Sure Sony themselves may not have a DRM scheme but you can bet the publishers will, or why would they even develop for it?

It's not going to stop me from getting the One, but I still think they should have a "disc in the drive" requirement as a backup plan if the internet stopped working. You can burn specific serial type numbers into Blu-Ray disks so that would have been a perfect backup plan. Either way, they are taking my money.

The thing is that with a "disc in drive fallback" you really can't have the option of playing without disc in drive, at least without some online registration at some point, if even then, cos then it would solve nothing. I would install the game on the HDD, unplug the internet cable and give the disc to my friend who could do the same? Wouldn't really solve anything, would it?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If a game is delivered with no restrictions for offline play Sony has no requirement to be online, the X1 does. If the game publisher has no restrictions on lending games, Microsoft has. Its a clear difference. Everyone is assuming game publishers will definitely add some DRM, but if they dont the X1 is more restrictive than the PS4.

Why would a game publisher NOT add DRM? Why would they sell a game disk that can be installed an unlimited number of times on machines for just the price of one game, or even one rental? That would be madness. Instead of Sony coming up with some uniform type of DRM they are leaving it up to the individual game makers which one could argue is even worse. Sure large companies like EA will have no problem coming up with a DRM scheme (hopefully better then SimCity's) but think of the added cost for a smaller game maker to have to come up with anything. Most likely they would just stick to digital downloads only, which is "DRM."

But hey, if it goes down that way, I might just get a PS4 as my second console to fill and "buy" a bunch of $3 games at Family Video.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
You know there is a way Microsoft could solve the problem about 24 hour check in.
Give the consumer 2 choices
1: you have the system check every 24 hours.
2: you are still required to have the disk in the console. (this would solve the issue if you have no connection)
I prefer option one myself I have internet on my phone as well so a simple tether connection to Xone would solve any failed home connection.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
While you might prefer the check-in, the better way to look at it is from the pros AND cons. The downside to option 2 is keeping track of a disc. The downside to option 1 is having to have reliable Internet, regardless of your location. It is easier to fulfill option 2 than 1. The disc-based check-in is a preferable option because it is simpler to implement (just insert the disc), and it is more flexible for gamers.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
The amount of date required to check in would be miniscule,(so would work with the worst connections) but giving both options would be a plus.
I have no problem with the quick check as I am sure it will take less time then it does for me to go to the draw shuffle through all the disks come back and place the disk in the player then wait for it to load.
There is no way games on the PS4 will not have some type of DRM.
It will be interesting to here what the developers end up implementing It might be good but it is possible it could be locked down even further the Xone.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I still stand by the fact that I believe physical disc should rule in any case, for resale, transfer, etc. Digital purchases should be where they are today (non-transferable).

Problem with that is the fact that a physical disc never ruled for resale or transfer. It's always been a license. Digital download is just a more "convenient" version of that.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
  • Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

• Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.
    Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Does anyone understand these correctly?

For the family thing, does that mean everyone can play same game as you at the same time, or only another game at the same time as you playing a different game then them? And does it mean every memeber can play a game at the same time or just "one" member, so no multiple family members playing games from the library at the same time? God why can't they just detail it properly.

And the friend thing, does that mean it's a gifting system? Your copy can only be transfered once, once your friend got it, he can't gift it another friend? Or does that mean if you gift the game to one of your friends and you buy another copy, you can't gift the game again to anyone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre