How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
  • Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
  • Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.
    Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Does anyone understand these correctly?

For the family thing, does that mean everyone can play same game as you at the same time, or only another game at the same time as you playing a different game then them? And does it mean every memeber can play a game at the same time or just "one" member, so no multiple family members playing games from the library at the same time? God why can't they just detail it properly.

And the friend thing, does that mean it's a gifting system? Your copy can only be transfered once, once your friend got it, he can't gift it another friend? Or does that mean if you gift the game to one of your friends and you buy another copy, you can't gift the game again to anyone?

I understand that last one as 1 user/1 license. Say I let you borrow Madden 25. I can let you borrow that ONE GAME one time. If/when you give it back to me, I can't let you borrow that one game again. Doesn't mean I can't lend you another one of my games.

And, I wonder if you let that other person borrow it, if you'll be able to continue playing it too. If so, that's pretty awesome. Especially since there doesn't seem to be a time-limit on the borrow (which I don't expect there to be). Obviously, that is the best case (awesome) scenario.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Apparently that "one time borrow" can be somewhat permanent too, as in you can just sell the game to a friend "under the counter" and take the money to yourself, but after this the game can't be traded anymore etc.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I understand that last one as 1 user/1 license. Say I let you borrow Madden 25. I can let you borrow that ONE GAME one time. If/when you give it back to me, I can't let you borrow that one game again. Doesn't mean I can't lend you another one of my games.

And, I wonder if you let that other person borrow it, if you'll be able to continue playing it too. If so, that's pretty awesome. Especially since there doesn't seem to be a time-limit on the borrow (which I don't expect there to be). Obviously, that is the best case (awesome) scenario.

Its listed right inside "resale and trade-in" so it's definitly not any form of lending + they said renting/loaning is not available at launch so it has to be gifting but im not sure how exactly it's meant to be as again, their phrasing is just vague.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
And even if it doesn't end up having that affect at least you tried, that is the message they should be getting out there.

What creative pricing they can do. Even if only with their own first party games.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I wish Microsoft went back to the old practice when the 360 came out where the 1st party games were 49.99 and the 3rd parties were 59.99. That was great. Though, I'm sure it didn't sit well with EA, Activision, Ubisoft and the others...

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if it's been answered yet, but does anyone know if a user will be able to stream games from their library when round a friends house or will they be forced to download the entire game?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if it's been answered yet, but does anyone know if a user will be able to stream games from their library when round a friends house or will they be forced to download the entire game?

I believe that someone (don't remember who... maybe someone I saw on Twitter at E3) mentioned that it would be similar to how the PS4 works. You'd start downloading the game, and when the first level or so is downloaded you'll be able to start playing while the rest downloads.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I believe that someone (don't remember who... maybe someone I saw on Twitter at E3) mentioned that it would be similar to how the PS4 works. You'd start downloading the game, and when the first level or so is downloaded you'll be able to start playing while the rest downloads.

That would make for an extremely happy camper at this end. :) I think Microsoft really need to focus on the benefits of their DRM/online checks.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That would make for an extremely happy camper at this end. :) I think Microsoft really need to focus on the benefits of their DRM/online checks.
Yep, they need to. Just found out that when sharing your games with up to 10 people, you and up to 1 other person you're sharing with can play the same game simultaneously. Brilliant!!

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Yep, they need to. Just found out that when sharing your games with up to 10 people, you and up to 1 other person you're sharing with can play the same game simultaneously. Brilliant!!
you sure about this, don't suppose you remember where you heard that?
I thought it was one person at a time, meaning you and friend cant simultaneously.
Maybe i read it that way as that's what made most sense to me. lol
Would be amazing if it was your way though.

PhoenixSoul

May 27, 2013
Visit site
thanks.
Although to me i don't see it saying playing same game concurrently.
Just that all games can be played at the same time.
May be i just need to go bed, get some sleep and read it again in morning :)

Xbox Support 2: "The only limitation to the number of players that access a game at the same time is how the game is designed."

I assume they mean Publishers/Devs decide how many people can play the game at the same time.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Can see publishers making multi player online games being locked to single user, and maybe single/offline games possibly allowing concurrent use.

Something worth keeping an eye on that's for sure

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What im also looking forward to with this new digital approach is game releases. Now everything is released online there shouldn't be a staggered release schedule. Obviously that still will happen with hard copies of the games but will be good to have the game available at the same time globally. No more US release on the Friday followed by a UK and EU release on the Monday.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999