No internet no Xbox one?

MC_A_DOT

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Xbox One: Details emerge on licensing, online connectivity, and privacy | Windows Phone Central

The earliest (and biggest) rumor about the next Xbox has been whether or not it would require a constant internet connection to play games or use. That rumor started months before the official unveil and details remained murky after the event.

It?s not surprise that Microsoft is pushing for online connections with the next Xbox. After all, next generation games will be literally powered by both your Xbox and servers thousands of miles from your home. It?s actually a clever trick to combat the Wii U and PlayStation 4. Your Xbox One will actually get more powerful over time.

The following are examples that Microsoft has listed on their site as benefits for using the cloud:

Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you?re not playing.
Xbox One is designed to run in a low-powered, connected state. This means your system, games and apps are always current and ready to play?no more waiting for updates.
Never miss an opportunity to play games with your friends or to catch up with family on Skype. Use Skype in Snap mode to chat while you play games or watch TV. Or enjoy group video Skype calls with people around the world, all from the comfort of your living room.
After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend?s house, you can play your games.
You?ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release.
Those sound like fairly good reasons for connecting your Xbox One to the internet. However, there are some potential cons to this approach. A persistent connection is apparently not required. However, if you want to game offline you can only do so for 24 hours or one hour from a console that isn?t your own. Offline gaming won?t be possible until you re-establish a connection (you can watch live TV or disc-based movies though). The reason? The Xbox One is designed (and required) to verify if your system, application, or games need updates or if you?ve acquired new games. Additionally checking if you?ve resold, traded in, or shared a game with a friend.

Not good news for anyone without an internet connection.....

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
wait, i just realize, or at least i need clarification - when they said play offline for 24hr, did they mean 24 hours played or 24 hours including when xbox is not being used?

i mean if it's 24 hour play time then it's actually not as bad as i first though, not like i'll use it up in 3 days (which is usually how long it takes my cable company to get their **** together)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It probably means 24 hrs since the last check-in. We don't know how often it will check-in, so it's hard to say how this will work.

I personally think that you should be able to switch a game to "offline mode." You'd still have to check-in online to do this. But once you do it, then the game is locked down to that home console. You lose all the abilities that having a mobile account in the cloud provides, like sharing the game or playing at a friend's house. But you gain the ability to play offline.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
It probably means 24 hrs since the last check-in. We don't know how often it will check-in, so it's hard to say how this will work.

I personally think that you should be able to switch a game to "offline mode." You'd still have to check-in online to do this. But once you do it, then the game is locked down to that home console. You lose all the abilities that having a mobile account in the cloud provides, like sharing the game or playing at a friend's house. But you gain the ability to play offline.

offline mode in Xbox one... wont happen.t
people would put it in offline mode and give the games to everyone around. and how would you do if you want to play online? change it everytime? Xbox One is meant to be simple not turn this on and turn this off thing just because some people arent happy. so it would be silly to talk about new features and how you can share games with 10 people, and play anywere and blabl? if you puff magically can set a button that will turn Xbox one vision off. and then all the problems about people reselling games, and giving those games and expensive $60 games would continue.
even major Nelson said most people in the world are already connected, and he is right about it, and he said they are looking into future, and right now not many will be affected by not having internet, most people complaining about it ironically are commenting in an online site, that means they got to have Access to internet somehow no?
I know some people wont have internet, but like i have said, if you start thinking about how many people wont have even electricity, there wouldnt be any kind of technology, its not like you have to stop your innovation because some people would be affected by it.
even PS4 games can ask you to be always online or authorize a code that will be linked to your console and account... so well, people with no internet wouldnt be able to play these games.

And honestly, i wouldnt want Microsoft to stop thinking into future only because some people cant have internet. some people dont have electricity or water, yet technology has advanced with no problem. unfair yeah, but there is no much we can do. and most people who cant have internet access or electricity or water, wont be thinking about a xbox one. if I can pay $500 for a console I surely can afford to have internet. even smartphones can be more expensive than xbox one and they are almost a brick no more useful than a dumbphone and people don't seem to complain about it. imagine if smartphone makers were worried about the "poor" people not having internet? well, again, im sure all the technology we have today, it wouldn't exist.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
offline mode in Xbox one... wont happen.t
people would put it in offline mode and give the games to everyone around.

A game should only be able to be put in "offline mode" while you have a connection to the internet. That way, it can update your profile stating that your game cannot be shared.

Giving the disc to someone else does nothing. They can install it, but they'd still have to pay for it if they wanted to play it.

and how would you do if you want to play online? change it everytime?

Yup.

Offline Mode would mainly be for people who don't expect to have consistent internet. So they only buy games for the single player experience.

The game is still tied to your account. You won't have a 24 hour check.

But you also can' t log into the game from another console. You lose all benefits of the cloud until you go back to your main console and change the games status to "online".

Xbox One is meant to be simple not turn this on and turn this off thing just because some people arent happy. so it would be silly to talk about new features and how you can share games with 10 people, and play anywere and blabl? if you puff magically can set a button that will turn Xbox one vision off. and then all the problems about people reselling games, and giving those games and expensive $60 games would continue.

I think you're misinterpreting what my version of "offline mode" is.

It is just a solution for people who have spotty internet. People like soldiers in Afghanistan, where they might have access for a while, but not necessarily consistent access. Or even people on submarines. You could register your game on your account as "offline" before going in the sub. Then you can play all your single player games, but nobody else (not even others on family account) can play those games. It's locked to that console.

even major Nelson said most people in the world are already connected, and he is right about it, and he said they are looking into future, and right now not many will be affected by not having internet, most people complaining about it ironically are commenting in an online site, that means they got to have Access to internet somehow no?
I know some people wont have internet, but like i have said, if you start thinking about how many people wont have even electricity, there wouldnt be any kind of technology, its not like you have to stop your innovation because some people would be affected by it.
even PS4 games can ask you to be always online or authorize a code that will be linked to your console and account... so well, people with no internet wouldnt be able to play these games.

And honestly, i wouldnt want Microsoft to stop thinking into future only because some people cant have internet. some people dont have electricity or water, yet technology has advanced with no problem. unfair yeah, but there is no much we can do. and most people who cant have internet access or electricity or water, wont be thinking about a xbox one. if I can pay $500 for a console I surely can afford to have internet. even smartphones can be more expensive than xbox one and they are almost a brick no more useful than a dumbphone and people don't seem to complain about it. imagine if smartphone makers were worried about the "poor" people not having internet? well, again, im sure all the technology we have today, it wouldn't exist.

Umm... I don't think that I even remotely hinted that MS should change their overall strategy. I only offered a possible solution for people who expect to be without internet for a while.