06-16-2013 12:11 PM
182 12345 ...
tools
    Thing is...with PSN+ being required for multi-player...I don't think it's really going to matter. So those epic discounts will stay epic, unless you choose to not play online.
    06-11-2013 12:03 AM
    I'm going to be getting a PS4 but I think MS is getting a lot of unfair criticisms especially in regards to the used games and 24 hour check in. Most people already have their console always connected to their network so it's not that big of a deal to most people. How many times in the last few years has your internet connection gone down for more than 24 hours?

In regards to the used games issue I think MS wants to do something like how PC games are. In other words PC games have serial keys that usually only work on one system or PC games that you buy off Steam only work for that Steam account.

At the end of the day MS and the Xbox One are getting killed online right now by angry gamers and Sony fanboys. The whole notion of big, greedy "M$" is back again among the general public. Either MS will have to change their policies or the Xbox One will sell well and everything will be quickly forgotten.
    06-11-2013 01:46 AM
    MS can come out ahead if they stay on message and focus on

1. Exclusive games. Keep them coming and promote the hell out of them.
    2. Promote how Kinect enhances the entire experience. Not just in dance games.
    3. Promote convenience of having an all-in-one system and show how archaic others look compared to it
    4. Talk Value Value Value

Make the XBOX look ridiculously cheap for everything it does. And make the PS4 look expensive based on the fewer things it does.

And if they really wanted to drop a big BOMB and were willing to eat a bigger loss? Don't cut the price. Instead, include Illumiroom as standard with every console.
    06-11-2013 02:18 AM

Make the XBOX look ridiculously cheap for everything it does. And make the PS4 look expensive based on the fewer things it does.
    This is pretty much how I think already, not necessarily that X1 would be cheap for what it does, but that PS4 is expensive for what it does. It's like buying an expensive feature phone that can't really do much other than calling, texting and playing Snake 2. The fairly basic stuff.. At this day and age I think the PS4 features are sort of ripoff, how does it not do more than that for that price? It's just like smartphones for me, I want more features in all of my devices, preferably so that they also work nicely together!

I'm just not personally worried about always online or used game policy. My internet hasnt been down for a full day in probably a decade, I havn't most likely even bought a game that I could borrow to anyone in over a decade, digital downloads are just so much more convenient :P Everything I own that has any point of being online is always connected to my Wifi.
    06-11-2013 04:18 AM
    Sadly the Xbox one is not available here in my country. We're not in the magic 21, so the question is moot and academic but yes I was impressed by Xbox One. Too bad I won't be able to get one. You guys know if we can change the region lock on the xbox one? I don't want to pre-order until I get a definite answer.
    06-11-2013 05:26 AM
    Where is the list of countries? Also, it will likely come at some point, just like the Surfaces for example came to new countries in several stages.
    06-11-2013 05:30 AM
    No, I think that it actually got WORSE. As was mentioned by some, Ryse might just be a Roman God of War clone. We knew Halo and Forza were coming from a mile away a year ago. Project Spark seems neat, but its viability as a true gaming experience (versus a cheap form of short-term entertainment for kids) is worth considering (though I had to leave for class and haven't gotten to take a good look at it). Quantum Break seems like it is cool, and Titanfall might be as well.

Microsoft seemed to bust out EVERY negative expectation, though. Halo is likely a full year away, if not 18 months (I imagine it launches in late-2014, as the games always have). The online check-in might not affect many, but the principle of punishing gamers for wanting to play offline is gross. The used game stuff is being taken to the worst place, limiting the window for which a game can be borrowed, and making the license matter a giant headache. That you MUST have the Kinect plugged in is stupid, because I simply won't be using it. I know it's yet another MINOR inconvenience, but stacking half a dozen minor inconveniences on top of one another equals a BIG inconvenience.

Then, Microsoft threw that stupid price tag at us. $500 is not a reasonable price point. It might be if you want the Kinect, but that I have to pay an extra $100 for a peripheral I don't trust (for fast-paced gaming) or want (for most gaming, or any media features) is unacceptable. I could MAYBE swallow all of the things I hate about the Xbox One for $400, but not for $500. I'll be waiting until there is either a price drop or Microsoft removes some of these asinine restrictions on the hardware (the Kinect requirement, the online requirement, the difficulty of sharing games).

To sum it all up, the games got better, but the console got worse to a greater degree than the game options improved.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    06-11-2013 07:07 AM
    No, I think that it actually got WORSE. As was mentioned by some, Ryse might just be a Roman God of War clone. We knew Halo and Forza were coming from a mile away a year ago. Project Spark seems neat, but its viability as a true gaming experience (versus a cheap form of short-term entertainment for kids) is worth considering (though I had to leave for class and haven't gotten to take a good look at it). Quantum Break seems like it is cool, and Titanfall might be as well.

Microsoft seemed to bust out EVERY negative expectation, though. Halo is likely a full year away, if not 18 months (I imagine it launches in late-2014, as the games always have). The online check-in might not affect many, but the principle of punishing gamers for wanting to play offline is gross. The used game stuff is being taken to the worst place, limiting the window for which a game can be borrowed, and making the license matter a giant headache. That you MUST have the Kinect plugged in is stupid, because I simply won't be using it. I know it's yet another MINOR inconvenience, but stacking half a dozen minor inconveniences on top of one another equals a BIG inconvenience.

Then, Microsoft threw that stupid price tag at us. $500 is not a reasonable price point. It might be if you want the Kinect, but that I have to pay an extra $100 for a peripheral I don't trust (for fast-paced gaming) or want (for most gaming, or any media features) is unacceptable. I could MAYBE swallow all of the things I hate about the Xbox One for $400, but not for $500. I'll be waiting until there is either a price drop or Microsoft removes some of these asinine restrictions on the hardware (the Kinect requirement, the online requirement, the difficulty of sharing games).

To sum it all up, the games got better, but the console got worse to a greater degree than the game options improved.
    I think this post sums up the reaction I've seen outside of this site pretty well, even from people who I know to be loyal Xbox gamers.

The Kinect being bundled with the console may be a big bonus in terms of content being developed for it, but I think the average person remains unconvinced about its necessity. I know a ton of people who bought one, played with it for a few hours, then wondered what they were supposed to do with it. No one has really developed a compelling way for it to enhance the gaming experience. That may change, but at this point, having it tack $100 onto the price of the system is a negative more so than having it included is a positive for the average consumer.
    06-11-2013 07:21 AM
    It's not like it's just the Kinect that costs the extra 100usd, nothing else. You can point at PS4 all you want, all it means is that they sell the PS4 at a bigger loss :P
    06-11-2013 07:31 AM
    You can say "all it means," but that's NOT "all it means." The PS4 has higher-end hardware than the Xbox One, so the PlayStation alone should cost MORE than the Xbox One. The ONLY hardware that the Xbox One has over its rival is the Kinect. That is the ONLY logical source of the price difference. Even if Sony IS selling it at a greater loss, it tells me that Sony is more dedicated to finding buyers than making a quick buck. I mean, consider the fact that $500 means that most gamers are losing the money necessary for 2 retail games in their purchase (at $60 each, it's just shy of 2 games, but you get the point).

At $400, I might buy the console, Ryse, Quantum Break, and Forza 5. At $500, I would ONLY get Forza 5, as the higher console price hurt my games funds, and I'm not going to make my one game purchase (at release) be on an unknown IP. They're taking away the money consumers will put into funding these new software projects, which ultimately hurts them.
    06-11-2013 07:49 AM
    I loved every minute of it, and after considering everything presented yesterday I will be getting both X1 and PS4 at launch.

I will be getting Killer Instinct and Forza 5, probably others but those are my lock-ins as of now.
    06-11-2013 09:10 AM
    You can say "all it means," but that's NOT "all it means." The PS4 has higher-end hardware than the Xbox One, so the PlayStation alone should cost MORE than the Xbox One. The ONLY hardware that the Xbox One has over its rival is the Kinect. That is the ONLY logical source of the price difference. Even if Sony IS selling it at a greater loss, it tells me that Sony is more dedicated to finding buyers than making a quick buck. I mean, consider the fact that $500 means that most gamers are losing the money necessary for 2 retail games in their purchase (at $60 each, it's just shy of 2 games, but you get the point).
    In addition to these I don't think we can totally ignore the value of the software-based features of the X1. While it's not directly hardware cost, but I think it would be safe to say that the software side of things costed MS more to make than it costed Sony to make the software of PS4.
    Vallos and Paul May like this.
    06-11-2013 09:30 AM
    Being honest I was sold on the Xbox One from the original launch and it could probably sell well with just Titanfall as a launch title. Whats worrying is the negative hype drummed up by the Sony fanboys and some of the games press is severely distorting the truth. Ive spent most of my morning digging up facts and linking articles to contradict things that people have been coming out with purely because of a slight spin on the negatives.

Wildest thing ive heard is that the xbox 24 hour check in has got a suicide switch - so if you don't log in for 24 hours its got a 12 hour security period after you've logged back in before you can play on your games!!

Im doing a pretty decent job so far on damage control and have swayed most of my friends back to the xbox. Hopefully they pass on what I have to their friends and so on and so on and the BS stops. Theres some crazy things out there that people are taking as gospel because theyve seen it on a forum message board.
    06-11-2013 09:47 AM
    Being honest I was sold on the Xbox One from the original launch and it could probably sell well with just Titanfall as a launch title. Whats worrying is the negative hype drummed up by the Sony fanboys and some of the games press is severely distorting the truth. Ive spent most of my morning digging up facts and linking articles to contradict things that people have been coming out with purely because of a slight spin on the negatives.

Wildest thing ive heard is that the xbox 24 hour check in has got a suicide switch - so if you don't log in for 24 hours its got a 12 hour security period after you've logged back in before you can play on your games!!

Im doing a pretty decent job so far on damage control and have swayed most of my friends back to the xbox. Hopefully they pass on what I have to their friends and so on and so on and the BS stops. Theres some crazy things out there that people are taking as gospel because theyve seen it on a forum message board.
    Thats good on you for doing so but MS should be the ones coming out and doing damage control. Last night, they took a very direct shot from Sony and to say MS was witch slapped is an understatement. Granted, it seems tech blogs and others love to bash MS, but they have a good reason to this time. MS chose its path and its up to them to justify to consumers why.

MS needs to get their PR team together and develop a good strategy to take this on, head on. I dont know how they do it but they need to do the following:

1. Justify why the XboxOne is worth $500, when their rival is selling at $100 less. You can say Kinect, but keep in mind, there are people who dont want it in the first place. And its been said already that Sony essentially has better hardware. No DRM, no restrictions, no 24 internet check...yet its still cheaper. Their Plus membership is cheaper with ability to get free games (albeit only while you have the membership but its still better than anything MS has offered).

2. DRM and used games. Say what you want, but putting restrictions in place on games you purchased is going to be hard to justify to consumers. Itd be one thing if games were now cheaper, but they arent. I dont know how they handle this one at all. When people buy a physical product, they want to lend/trade/sell as THEY CHOSE, not based off restrictions that are a hassle.

3. 24 hour internet check. Probably not a huge deal to most, but remember not everyone is in the same situation. Something as seemingly minor as someone who takes their game console on vacation, to a cabin, or the military, or people in college dorms or barracks, etc.....this is not good for everyone. It WILL be a big deal to some.

Never been a member of a PR team, but unless youre a big time Xbox fan, anyone of these is a hard sell. Add them all together and its a monumental task. I dont know how they handle this, but again, after last night and the reaction all over the place, they better try and get out in front of this. They have to do something.
    06-11-2013 10:03 AM
    For me it isn't nearly so much the actual hassle of checking in every 24 hours (which is a pain in the a$$ anyway) as it is the principle of it. It's an implementation that I don't agree with and don't want to support. Same thing with the DRM. Like everyone has said, we'll see if the publishers impose it on PS4 anyway, but at least for now it does seem like Sony cares more about making sure people get what they want and it's delivered fairly.

A lot of people around here constantly rag on Google for spying and collecting and selling data. For me the 'essentially always on,' and no selling of used games, and Kinect always on, are just as serious impediments to my gaming experience as people feel Google is to their web and/or mobile experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-11-2013 10:03 AM
    06-11-2013 10:07 AM
    For me it isn't nearly so much the actual hassle of checking in every 24 hours (which is a pain in the a$$ anyway) as it is the principle of it. It's an implementation that I don't agree with and don't want to support. Same thing with the DRM. Like everyone has said, we'll see if the publishers impose it on PS4 anyway, but at least for now it does seem like Sony cares more about making sure people get what they want and it's delivered fairly.

A lot of people around here constantly rag on Google for spying and collecting and selling data. For me the 'essentially always on,' and no selling of used games, and Kinect always on, are just as serious impediments to my gaming experience as people feel Google is to their web and/or mobile experience.

Exactly. I like MS just as anyone else around here, but I see a lot of people writing these restrictions and other things off, when they wouldve been the first to bash Google or Sony for doing something similar.
    06-11-2013 10:09 AM
    Dont get me wrong but, besides the games, Microsoft did not redeem itself AT ALL. I watched the whole Microsoft event. At no point they did bring up the big issue all over the internet with the DRM/Used games policy nor 24 hour checks. This is very big for a lot of people, incuding me (yea, my internet is fine 98% of the time but sometimes for days I lose it and no xbox ?)

Then on the other side, you have the PS4 showing $100 less, No DRM (at this point) and NO manatory online also no manatory Kinect/PS eye.

Yea, Xbox/Microsoft fanboys aside, PS3 has some awsome games for it, I'm playing 'The Last of US" now and OMG it's awsome. The system has good titles, good exclusives and performance as right now as good if not better than the 360 on the specs end (PS3) and the same will hold true for the PS4/X1..

I was going to Pre-order the X1 but, I'm holding tight till this DRM/Used game policy is ironed out once and for all. I still stand by the fact and most gamers feel the same here, The Physical disc should rule in any case. If you install it to your system, once that game is installed to another system you can't play it on the orginal system till you put the disc in. Who ever has the disc owns the rights to the game. This does not apply to digital downloads as it does not now.

I know in time, I will have both, because that is just how I roll with game systems but, one system I will buy more games for, right now, with the lack of DRM, I am leaning towards the PS4...and I use my current 360 almost every day...

DRM never helps people, it just makes them feel like crooks with content that they paid for. Time has proven that and it will never work with physical media..
    DaveGx and michfan like this.
    06-11-2013 10:14 AM
    Had it not been for price, restrictions, DRM, and 24 hour internet MS wouldve had a very good E3 compared to Sony. The only thing that gave Sony the clear win yesterday was that humiliation and embarrassment Sony did of MS. Up to that point, Sony's E3 wasnt all that great. But those things are huge issues right now, believe it or not.
    michfan likes this.
    06-11-2013 10:18 AM
    You can sell used games on the Xbox one. You can play used games on the Xbox one. Is the system slightly different from what we have now? Yes. But it is a system that supports the people who make the games we love to play.
    06-11-2013 10:19 AM
    You can sell used games on the Xbox one. You can play used games on the Xbox one. Is the system slightly different from what we have now? Yes. But it is a system that supports the people who make the games we love to play.
    Its more of a hassle. The video above with Sony "sharing" a game says it all.

And until developers start shunning Sony, or the price for Xbox One games are cheaper than the rest, I see no reason for MS to have gone this route.
    06-11-2013 10:23 AM
    I think all MS needs to do is drop the DRM BS and switch it back to requiring the disk to be inserted to be able to play. Just as a key, not to run off of.
    06-11-2013 10:27 AM
    I say the game developers need to step in and explain why MS should keep the DRM as it is. Ultimately it is to benefit them, so it should fall on them to defend it.
    06-11-2013 10:39 AM
    Thats good on you for doing so but MS should be the ones coming out and doing damage control. Last night, they took a very direct shot from Sony and to say MS was witch slapped is an understatement. Granted, it seems tech blogs and others love to bash MS, but they have a good reason to this time. MS chose its path and its up to them to justify to consumers why.
    That's not the problem - people are fools that's the problem - the facts are all there for them to check through and can be verified - people ranting loudly and making things up seem to be getting more attention than whats been put out as factual information.

Maybe I should do an angry ranting youtube video stating the facts.
    06-11-2013 10:42 AM
    Maybe I should do an angry ranting youtube video stating the facts.
    Somehow I doubt that would be productive. Other than the 'suicide switch' thing, which I agree is a ridiculous rumour, what other misinformation is being perpetuated?

06-11-2013 10:47 AM
182 12345 ...