XO after E3. Did Xbox One redeem itself?

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Shooter after shooter after shooter+zombies. Only game shown without a gun was the next KI and I'm excited for that.
But if this gen is another round of FPS and zombie games then I'll stick to what I already have.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that they didn't call the Halo game Halo 5. Just Halo. I wonder if that's kind of a teaser for a whole family of Halo games.

Titanfall looks sooooo badass. Great exclusive.

Forza 5 was awesome, as usual. I like how the drivatar learns and then uses your style to race your friends when you're not online.

Quantum Break looks interesting, but I'm not sure how it will turn out. I suppose the "TV" parts would be like a really extended cut-scene that you'd see in any normal game.

Dead Rising 3 looked okay. The graphics were a little disappointing. But the HUGE open world was cool. And LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of zombies.

5 new First Party Studios is a good sign.

The new IP that really caught my eye though was Project Spark.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Shooter after shooter after shooter+zombies. Only game shown without a gun was the next KI and I'm excited for that.
But if this gen is another round of FPS and zombie games then I'll stick to what I already have.

Did you even watch the event?

Project Spark
Forza 5
Minecraft (meh to me)
D4
Crimson Dragon
What Lies Below (looks like an indie game)

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't think Xbox One had anything to "redeem"... Microsoft made sure to let everyone know games were waiting for E3. A lot of people seemed to choose to ignore that and assumed that it meant they didn't have much left for E3, that Xbox One was nothing but a TV-focused device. I feel this event should shut them up (naysayers will come up with new stuff to hate on, though)

I think they did a killer show, and the devs did a good job of coming out with a lot of in-game footage. I preferred the onstage gameplay of Titanfall to the pre-recorded gameplay footage or whatever it was that they showed right before - did a good job of making me want the game. I liked a lot of what I saw - Project Spark has a ton of potential, and I was impressed that so many games could be modeled on it, such as Geometry Wars!! Looks pretty awesome, caught me by surprise. I was fairly excited by several games I saw up there today, and I am VERY intrigued by Quantum Break. Excited to see what comes out of E3 as the week of games continues...

I also love that they announced price and the month of release (although we all pretty much figured November anyway)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Out of those, the one that has me most excited is Project Spark. Check it out.

It's like Little Big Planet on steroids. LOTS of steroids.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I also think they had nothing to really redeem, we always knew the games would come at E3. There will be many more than the ones shown now, it will be great like always.

It's largely gonna be about how PS4 is priced and handle many of the things people find issue with PS4. Then it's largely a gamble at this point if devs will prefer the X1 cos of more revenue for sold games or not, while perhaps the average gamer might still be more interested in PS4.. that said, X1 is still preordering better than PS4 on every webstore.

Slightly bummed about it ending up at 500€, but I didnt expect it to be less either, but in my financial situation I'll probably have to wait a while before I get one with family on the way..

Last edited:

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Did you even watch the event?

Project Spark
Forza 5
Minecraft (meh to me)
D4
Crimson Dragon
What Lies Below (looks like an indie game)

Crimson Dragon is actually already out...sorta. Crimson Dragon Side Story is on WP8. Been playing it lately and I recognized a lot of the enemies/bosses shown from the game.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
When you combine the third party games with the exclusives shown, it does feel like 50% of the games were shooter based. With that being said, these are the games that personally appealed to me and would probably play...

1. Max: The Curse of the Brotherhood
2. Sunset Overdrive
3. Quantum Break
4. Killer Instinct

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was a great showing with an amazing assortment of games. No way anyone can objectively say they didn't have a good showing. Hard for me to pick a favorite because there were so many I want. I just know I am going to be broke.

Oh ya and the free 360 games for Gold members and only one Gold account needed per household thing was also good news.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
When you combine the third party games with the exclusives shown, it does feel like 50% of the games were shooter based. With that being said, these are the games that personally appealed to me and would probably play...

1. Max: The Curse of the Brotherhood
2. Sunset Overdrive
3. Quantum Break
4. Killer Instinct

Oh man, I totally forgot about Sunset Overdrive and Max.

I actually liked both of them.

Sunset Overdrive reminded me of Team Fortress.

And Max... well, I loved Max and the Magic Marker.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm the only one turned off by this, but I thought the Ryse demo had one too many QTE. I love it when it's properly applied, but it seemed to be happening every other input lol.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I was kinda hoping for some cool Kinect demos.. Ryse was originally a Kinect game for 360, wasn't it? I wan't Mike Tyson's Punch-Out Kinect, damnit! :)

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm the only one turned off by this, but I thought the Ryse demo had one too many QTE. I love it when it's properly applied, but it seemed to be happening every other input lol.
I was thinking this same thing while watching... may be too many quick time events for me to really like this game. I was happy to hear that they will have that game being demoed on the E3 show floor, so it'll be good to see how this actually works.

Here's the thing... did you notice, while that guy was playing onstage, that he seemed to actually skip some of the events when a large number of soldiers came up to attack him? Seems like maybe you can hold off and do a big QTE event chain with a bunch of baddies. But a lot of that demo could have been "on rails" as well, and maybe if you don't press the buttons it keeps fighting until you press them? I like the idea behind it, but it looks a bit too "guided" so far. Let's hope someone gets some good coverage of Ryse in the coming days.

Star Wars seemed to pull off QTE very well IMHO (it was well placed, but not too excessive, and you were never "on rails" or guided).

I was kinda hoping for some cool Kinect demos.. Ryse was originally a Kinect game for 360, wasn't it? I wan't Mike Tyson's Punch-Out Kinect, damnit! :)

I think either they are waiting for devs to actually jump on the Kinect bandwagon now that every Xbox One will ship with a Kinect... and/or the new Kinect games they have so far are just the same ol' standard stuff from the 360, and no way did they want to taint their event with that. They had to position this launch as being hardcore gaming, and if they had no hardcore Kinect titles to show (yet), I think they made the right move. They showed some natural/fluid voice commands, but that was it.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the QTE stuff was done OK. It wasn't like in the original assassin's creed where you were just waiting for them to hit so you could counter and do the QTE stuff. You could also easily just decide to not do the QTE stuff or save it for a bigger bunch of baddies. The person held off from using the QTE several times or just to finish off multiple enemies. Dunno if it was my kinda game anyways, but the QTE implementation didn't really bother me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss