XO after E3. Did Xbox One redeem itself?

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I loved every minute of it, and after considering everything presented yesterday I will be getting both X1 and PS4 at launch.

I will be getting Killer Instinct and Forza 5, probably others but those are my lock-ins as of now.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You can say "all it means," but that's NOT "all it means." The PS4 has higher-end hardware than the Xbox One, so the PlayStation alone should cost MORE than the Xbox One. The ONLY hardware that the Xbox One has over its rival is the Kinect. That is the ONLY logical source of the price difference. Even if Sony IS selling it at a greater loss, it tells me that Sony is more dedicated to finding buyers than making a quick buck. I mean, consider the fact that $500 means that most gamers are losing the money necessary for 2 retail games in their purchase (at $60 each, it's just shy of 2 games, but you get the point).

In addition to these I don't think we can totally ignore the value of the software-based features of the X1. While it's not directly hardware cost, but I think it would be safe to say that the software side of things costed MS more to make than it costed Sony to make the software of PS4.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Being honest I was sold on the Xbox One from the original launch and it could probably sell well with just Titanfall as a launch title. Whats worrying is the negative hype drummed up by the Sony fanboys and some of the games press is severely distorting the truth. Ive spent most of my morning digging up facts and linking articles to contradict things that people have been coming out with purely because of a slight spin on the negatives.

Wildest thing ive heard is that the xbox 24 hour check in has got a suicide switch - so if you don't log in for 24 hours its got a 12 hour security period after you've logged back in before you can play on your games!!

Im doing a pretty decent job so far on damage control and have swayed most of my friends back to the xbox. Hopefully they pass on what I have to their friends and so on and so on and the BS stops. Theres some crazy things out there that people are taking as gospel because theyve seen it on a forum message board.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Being honest I was sold on the Xbox One from the original launch and it could probably sell well with just Titanfall as a launch title. Whats worrying is the negative hype drummed up by the Sony fanboys and some of the games press is severely distorting the truth. Ive spent most of my morning digging up facts and linking articles to contradict things that people have been coming out with purely because of a slight spin on the negatives.

Wildest thing ive heard is that the xbox 24 hour check in has got a suicide switch - so if you don't log in for 24 hours its got a 12 hour security period after you've logged back in before you can play on your games!!

Im doing a pretty decent job so far on damage control and have swayed most of my friends back to the xbox. Hopefully they pass on what I have to their friends and so on and so on and the BS stops. Theres some crazy things out there that people are taking as gospel because theyve seen it on a forum message board.

Thats good on you for doing so but MS should be the ones coming out and doing damage control. Last night, they took a very direct shot from Sony and to say MS was witch slapped is an understatement. Granted, it seems tech blogs and others love to bash MS, but they have a good reason to this time. MS chose its path and its up to them to justify to consumers why.

MS needs to get their PR team together and develop a good strategy to take this on, head on. I dont know how they do it but they need to do the following:

1. Justify why the XboxOne is worth $500, when their rival is selling at $100 less. You can say Kinect, but keep in mind, there are people who dont want it in the first place. And its been said already that Sony essentially has better hardware. No DRM, no restrictions, no 24 internet check...yet its still cheaper. Their Plus membership is cheaper with ability to get free games (albeit only while you have the membership but its still better than anything MS has offered).

2. DRM and used games. Say what you want, but putting restrictions in place on games you purchased is going to be hard to justify to consumers. Itd be one thing if games were now cheaper, but they arent. I dont know how they handle this one at all. When people buy a physical product, they want to lend/trade/sell as THEY CHOSE, not based off restrictions that are a hassle.

3. 24 hour internet check. Probably not a huge deal to most, but remember not everyone is in the same situation. Something as seemingly minor as someone who takes their game console on vacation, to a cabin, or the military, or people in college dorms or barracks, etc.....this is not good for everyone. It WILL be a big deal to some.

Never been a member of a PR team, but unless youre a big time Xbox fan, anyone of these is a hard sell. Add them all together and its a monumental task. I dont know how they handle this, but again, after last night and the reaction all over the place, they better try and get out in front of this. They have to do something.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
For me it isn't nearly so much the actual hassle of checking in every 24 hours (which is a pain in the a$$ anyway) as it is the principle of it. It's an implementation that I don't agree with and don't want to support. Same thing with the DRM. Like everyone has said, we'll see if the publishers impose it on PS4 anyway, but at least for now it does seem like Sony cares more about making sure people get what they want and it's delivered fairly.

A lot of people around here constantly rag on Google for spying and collecting and selling data. For me the 'essentially always on,' and no selling of used games, and Kinect always on, are just as serious impediments to my gaming experience as people feel Google is to their web and/or mobile experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
For me it isn't nearly so much the actual hassle of checking in every 24 hours (which is a pain in the a$$ anyway) as it is the principle of it. It's an implementation that I don't agree with and don't want to support. Same thing with the DRM. Like everyone has said, we'll see if the publishers impose it on PS4 anyway, but at least for now it does seem like Sony cares more about making sure people get what they want and it's delivered fairly.

A lot of people around here constantly rag on Google for spying and collecting and selling data. For me the 'essentially always on,' and no selling of used games, and Kinect always on, are just as serious impediments to my gaming experience as people feel Google is to their web and/or mobile experience.

Exactly. I like MS just as anyone else around here, but I see a lot of people writing these restrictions and other things off, when they wouldve been the first to bash Google or Sony for doing something similar.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Dont get me wrong but, besides the games, Microsoft did not redeem itself AT ALL. I watched the whole Microsoft event. At no point they did bring up the big issue all over the internet with the DRM/Used games policy nor 24 hour checks. This is very big for a lot of people, incuding me (yea, my internet is fine 98% of the time but sometimes for days I lose it and no xbox ?)

Then on the other side, you have the PS4 showing $100 less, No DRM (at this point) and NO manatory online also no manatory Kinect/PS eye.

Yea, Xbox/Microsoft fanboys aside, PS3 has some awsome games for it, I'm playing 'The Last of US" now and OMG it's awsome. The system has good titles, good exclusives and performance as right now as good if not better than the 360 on the specs end (PS3) and the same will hold true for the PS4/X1..

I was going to Pre-order the X1 but, I'm holding tight till this DRM/Used game policy is ironed out once and for all. I still stand by the fact and most gamers feel the same here, The Physical disc should rule in any case. If you install it to your system, once that game is installed to another system you can't play it on the orginal system till you put the disc in. Who ever has the disc owns the rights to the game. This does not apply to digital downloads as it does not now.

I know in time, I will have both, because that is just how I roll with game systems but, one system I will buy more games for, right now, with the lack of DRM, I am leaning towards the PS4...and I use my current 360 almost every day...

DRM never helps people, it just makes them feel like crooks with content that they paid for. Time has proven that and it will never work with physical media..

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Had it not been for price, restrictions, DRM, and 24 hour internet MS wouldve had a very good E3 compared to Sony. The only thing that gave Sony the clear win yesterday was that humiliation and embarrassment Sony did of MS. Up to that point, Sony's E3 wasnt all that great. But those things are huge issues right now, believe it or not.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You can sell used games on the Xbox one. You can play used games on the Xbox one. Is the system slightly different from what we have now? Yes. But it is a system that supports the people who make the games we love to play.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
You can sell used games on the Xbox one. You can play used games on the Xbox one. Is the system slightly different from what we have now? Yes. But it is a system that supports the people who make the games we love to play.

Its more of a hassle. The video above with Sony "sharing" a game says it all.

And until developers start shunning Sony, or the price for Xbox One games are cheaper than the rest, I see no reason for MS to have gone this route.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think all MS needs to do is drop the DRM BS and switch it back to requiring the disk to be inserted to be able to play. Just as a key, not to run off of.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I say the game developers need to step in and explain why MS should keep the DRM as it is. Ultimately it is to benefit them, so it should fall on them to defend it.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thats good on you for doing so but MS should be the ones coming out and doing damage control. Last night, they took a very direct shot from Sony and to say MS was witch slapped is an understatement. Granted, it seems tech blogs and others love to bash MS, but they have a good reason to this time. MS chose its path and its up to them to justify to consumers why.

That's not the problem - people are fools that's the problem - the facts are all there for them to check through and can be verified - people ranting loudly and making things up seem to be getting more attention than whats been put out as factual information.

Maybe I should do an angry ranting youtube video stating the facts.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I should do an angry ranting youtube video stating the facts.

Somehow I doubt that would be productive. Other than the 'suicide switch' thing, which I agree is a ridiculous rumour, what other misinformation is being perpetuated?

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Had it not been for price, restrictions, DRM, and 24 hour internet MS wouldve had a very good E3 compared to Sony. The only thing that gave Sony the clear win yesterday was that humiliation and embarrassment Sony did of MS. Up to that point, Sony's E3 wasnt all that great. But those things are huge issues right now, believe it or not.
It was the first time I've ever watched a Sony E3 press conference and it really was a boring press conference. Presenters were dull. The most impressive looking games were overdone (nothing more boring than watching someone play a demo for 5 minutes). It went on for nearly two hours. I literally nodded off several times it was so bad. But everyone woke up and they got a significant reaction from the audience when they presented no DRM and no internet connection required. MS fed them a lob and Sony used it to great effect.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Somehow I doubt that would be productive. Other than the 'suicide switch' thing, which I agree is a ridiculous rumour, what other misinformation is being perpetuated?

So far I've had; Can't play used games. Can't take a game to a friends house. Cant sell games. PS4 is 50% more powerful. There are others but variations on those four. All ive been doing is copy and pasting from the xbox website. I

ts like a weird variation on Chinese whispers and everyone woke up this morning believing the first thing they heard or read.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
So far I've had; Can't play used games. Can't take a game to a friends house. Cant sell games. PS4 is 50% more powerful. There are others but variations on those four. All ive been doing is copy and pasting from the xbox website. I

ts like a weird variation on Chinese whispers and everyone woke up this morning believing the first thing they heard or read.

It's more that the rules and restrictions are ridiculous to try and remember and wrap your head around. Microsoft is really not doing anything to make it easy to play used games - you can only sell it once? You can't loan it to someone? You can have ten people play from your shared library but only one person at a time? And then they say things like 'anyone can play any game on your console even if you aren't logged in' as if that's some big favor we should be stoked about. Um. That sounds like basic common sense to me.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

You can sell your used games to Gamestop but, you can't sell it to your friend or on ebay....that is what is in place (according to what MS said and it's not 100% clear). In this case, you can't buy a used game unless it's at GameRipoff (game stop) or a supported retailer. This is what the Inernet is upset with.

Till they publicly say that you can take your game and sell it to someone (not on your friends list) then it's still a problem (again, PHYSICAL MEDIA ONLY).

Now, on the PS4, they showed how to share a game(LOL) but, did they say you can sell it to a 3rd party with out DRM or any type ? If they support DRM and leave it up to devs, it could be just as bad as the X1 is....

So, I wish someone (MS or Sony) would clearly say what the deal is becuse of how they say it, the PS4's DRM could be just as bad as the X1 is.... and they could be just doing good becuase MS told more...

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Now, on the PS4, they showed how to share a game(LOL) but, did they say you can sell it to a 3rd party with out DRM or any type ? If they support DRM and leave it up to devs, it could be just as bad as the X1 is....

Essentially they said you can. If I remember right, there were slides that said 'play used games, sell used games, buy used games'. Something like that. Implying that Sony will impose no restrictions. Your last question could be the kicker here. THEY don't support or impose any sort of DRM. Whether they leave it up to pubs and devs to decide for themselves.... That seems unclear as of now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb