XO after E3. Did Xbox One redeem itself?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The industry is dying SO BADLY that companies continue to push out games annually and produce more consoles. If anything is killing the industry, it's the unwillingness of content providers to stop rehashing content. I'd buy more games if every game didn't seem to be AT LEAST the fifth in its franchise. I mean, Halo 4? It was, what, the 6th or 7th release in the franchise? Guitar Hero 5? I'm pretty sure that was more like the 9th release. Forza 5? It's actually the 6th game. Assassin's Creed IV? You don't care to count Revelations or Brotherhood, which make IV become a VI, even if you DO ignore the two handheld releases?@

These games carry other games. These are the "sure things" that have to continue being made because without them publishers would fold.
These are titles that will sell in such high amounts that they are low risk.

I can suggest things that benefit the industry without much effort. If I want compromise, the way certainly isn't to hand over my money quietly to financially support the status quo or worse. I'm not vilifying Microsoft simply because of its actions. I'm voicing my dissention because they are more concerned with keep content providers happy than consumers. They heard MONTHS ago that people didn't like the ideas of always-online, check-ins, or many of these other locked-down features. They're not showing any willingness to consider alternatives, and that's where my distaste comes from--stubbornness on the part of Microsoft.

The problem I have with your dissention isn't your position on policy. It's the conclusions you make about the reasoning and thinking it's about being anti-consumer.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow - log back in this morning and this threads just blown up - Cant we all just get along? Keith Wallace, Winning Guy can you two just agree to disagree and handshake or hug or something?

Keith go buy yourself a PS4 and be done with it. Winning Guy get the One - in 6 months time you can both muse on your respective purchases positives.

This thread has nothing to do with DRM and definitely nothing to do with politics. Im sure there are separate threads for that.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Would you pay $75-$100 per game without complaining? Do you think enough consumers would?

Get over this, really. You have some good points but, I dont agree with this one.

This is like Ice Cream makers who make a new flavor, they spent months of testing, R&D, and many months of Trials before they release it finally. They spent all that money researching it, so now that single ice cream cone you want to buy with this new favor is $25. Crazy and we all know no one would by that flavor. Kind of what your thinking here, if it's too much, it wont sell no matter how good it is.

A game is $59.99 because that is what it will sell to most people. They tried releasing some games at $64.99 a while ago and it came to a fight and I have never seen it again. If X1 started selling all games for $74.99, like you said, and PS4 games all sold for $59.99 (kind of where they are pointing), guess what system would fail. The Wii became the largest selling system for a while, remember that ? It's not because it had the best games, it's about the price of the system (and most games are around $35). Video games are very price driven, Some games are must own for most people (black ops 2 anyone ?) or others do not sell as well but, they still ask the same price.

This is why the used market needs to be there. Most gamers feel this way. It still is Physical media, they dont own the software but, they own the disc. We should be able to do what we want with the media we buy, to sell it or even buy it used. Microsoft is trying to make the digital download model be forced on all conent. This lowers the value of the games you buy. I like to buy mid line tittles that I would not be willing to pay $60 for a reasonable price a month down the line, used games allow me to play more games.

Microsoft's goal here is to make the X1 be the digtal model for all content. They should learn from steam. Physical media should have it's rights as it should be as it is now, for ALL physical discs now.

How can Microsoft force people to go all digital ? Easy, use the steam model. All new games for $45-50 on digital download($35 45-60 days old) with the games still at $59.99 in the stores. This will almost remove the need or want for used games in the market. This also removes all the costs for building, shipping and returnns problems that comes with physical media. Games would sell better and they would sell a lot more than they could now, everyone with a X1 could get the game for a super discount and more people would want to get that game. I would bet sales would almost double for mid line titles and even more with AAA titles without the overhead of shipping media.

Microsoft is trying to force the digital world but, it still a Physical media that drives this market. Something has to give.

I was going to pre-order the X1 but, I have officaly decided to wait out this Used game thing. Yep the fanboys and the gamers who dont care on the cost will pre-order and buy it the system on release or pre-order but, it really comes down to how it sells in the long term. System sales are not all from the direct games, they are from the parents of gamers, once they see the cost with the games, and the DRM mess (will be hard to understand for the non-techy person), sales in the long term will be effected.

Microsoft needs to do something here and the devs need to make their money but forcing this on people, is the wrong way to do it, never mind the PR nightmare hole they have to dig themselfs out of in the long term.

Anyway about it, what MS is forcing here is the wrong way to do it... Making content cheapers for digital downloads would be the way to get MS to do what they want in the long term

jcvciii

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I think we are going to see a more dynamic line of pricing on the system set by developers xbla or steam style. Obviously the EAs and Activisions are going to keep the same price model. Part of the reason games are so expensive is also to keep the system price down, it is a supercomputer backed by mass amounts of expensive servers to increase computer power.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I think we are going to see a more dynamic line of pricing on the system set by developers xbla or steam style. Obviously the EAs and Activisions are going to keep the same price model. Part of the reason games are so expensive is also to keep the system price down, it is a supercomputer backed by mass amounts of expensive servers to increase computer power.

Wouldn't be so sure about the major publishers choosing not to participate in reduced pricing incentives. Steam already shows that many of the major publishers are willing to compete at that level.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
In addition to these I don't think we can totally ignore the value of the software-based features of the X1. While it's not directly hardware cost, but I think it would be safe to say that the software side of things costed MS more to make than it costed Sony to make the software of PS4.

At the Xbox reveal they said the XO runs 3 operating systems simultaneously to allow for the instant app switching and app snapping. These are the features that cost more, the development of this technology blows PS4 out of the.water. I think this may also be the reason for the constant internet connection. I assume one of the OS running will be a windows based kernel which would be exploited easier.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
At the Xbox reveal they said the XO runs 3 operating systems simultaneously to allow for the instant app switching and app snapping. These are the features that cost more, the development of this technology blows PS4 out of the.water. I think this may also be the reason for the constant internet connection. I assume one of the OS running will be a windows based kernel which would be exploited easier.

It was also stated that this instant switching was heavily dependent upon the hardware in the Kinect itself. Yet another reason the Kinect is part of Xbox One, not an optional accessory.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm flabbergasted at how people who complain about the Kinect being "forced" on the gamers, think it's only for games. The Xbox One is clearly advertised to be more than just games.This is just spring board to what we'll one day be doing in general computing. When that day comes, people will say, "Oh like the Kinect".

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Here is what I'm kinda excited for with new games and digital downloads.... If I pre-order a game from Steam, doesn't it pre-download that game like the day before so I can play it instantly when it "releases?"

That would be sweet for the X1... I pre-buy Halo 5 and it downloads in the background and at midnight BAM, it unlocks and no more waiting with a bunch of 12 year olds at Wal-Mart then driving my **** home to play for a little bit before bed.. It's installed and ready to go!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Here is what I'm kinda excited for with new games and digital downloads.... If I pre-order a game from Steam, doesn't it pre-download that game like the day before so I can play it instantly when it "releases?"

That would be sweet for the X1... I pre-buy Halo 5 and it downloads in the background and at midnight BAM, it unlocks and no more waiting with a bunch of 12 year olds at Wal-Mart then driving my **** home to play for a little bit before bed.. It's installed and ready to go!

Yeah that's the general idea.

Oh wait hang on... Don't you need to be connected to the internet to do that? :wink:

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

I believe something similar is in place for PS4 as well, or at least some feature that when you start installing/downloading a new game you can play before it finishes the download and it continues downloading in the background. Pretty cool.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe something similar is in place for PS4 as well, or at least some feature that when you start installing/downloading a new game you can play before it finishes the download and it continues downloading in the background. Pretty cool.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah, that play feature before the game is all the way downloaded is a pretty cool feature on the PS4.. get the guts of the game downloaded and the first level and then you can play why other textures or whatever download.. Both next gen consoles are making pretty big jumps in technology, it's very exciting.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that play feature before the game is all the way downloaded is a pretty cool feature on the PS4.. get the guts of the game downloaded and the first level and then you can play why other textures or whatever download.. Both next gen consoles are making pretty big jumps in technology, it's very exciting.

I wonder if this will work regardless of the game. It's a great feature and you often see MMORPGs utilize it, but its sadly very rare even up to this day on the PC that the devs see the effort.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if this will work regardless of the game. It's a great feature and you often see MMORPGs utilize it, but its sadly very rare even up to this day on the PC that the devs see the effort.

Yeah, I'm guessing in an open world game it might be kinda hard to start before everything is downloaded, or the same for sports games, but in a game like Halo you could download the "core" of the game and the first level/cutscenes and start the game off while the other levels load in the background.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
my guess would be that it wouldn't work for a game like say - Call of Duty or Battlefield - if you wanted to jump straight into a multiplayer match. I imagine you'll only be able to start playing the single player since they can judge how long it'll take you to get through that to build a good buffer...

Blizzard's StarCraft 2 has this feature on the PC.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Get over this, really. You have some good points but, I dont agree with this one.

...snip

You missed my point. I don't know if you only saw that post or if you've been following the thread.

My point was that consumers won't pay $75 for a game. That's why publishers and devs are looking for other ways to monetize games. Games aren't getting cheaper to make. Quite the opposite. And people are unwilling to pay the price that a game should cost to safely keep developers in business. So that's why other means of earning money are needed.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

From xbox.com/xboxone:

With Xbox One, you can start playing immediately as games install. And updates install seamlessly in the background, so your games and entertainment won?t be interrupted.

I imagine that this is a mandatory foundation required for playing games stored on the cloud. Might not mean that the game will pre-install, but at least it means that you will be able to start playing once the nuts and bolts are present locally, either from disc or cloud/download.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
...because there was nothing to be redeemed from except failure of individualized expectations.

Next?

You misunderstood him he said no because there was nothing to redeem because they were already top dog and had nothing that was disappointing at the reveal and e3 event

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon