Improving the Problems of Xbox One

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
+you need to have disc in drive.

Are you sure about that? My understanding is the reason for the check in and installing mandatory is so that you can flip from game to game without the use of a disk. They make a point of playing a single player game while a matchmaking online game is being setup and then fast switching to the game.... Can't do that when installing disks for both games.

As for me if a 24 check it means I can install the game and put the disk on a shelf all safe and switch from game to game from my couch without inserting the media I LOVE THAT aspect.

My opinion is a lot of the blame on us losing the ability to resale our games is being put on Microsoft. Really the issue is with the publishers, that will or wont allow used games to be registered a second time. I am all for the weeding out this will bring of the kids who JTag and hack the 360 to apply aimbots and cheats to online games. I am sure down the road that some hack will come out but online check ins maybe it will be less.

CoopII

KoreyTM

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Link to source of this statement?

Enough with the stubborn bull****. Xbox One preorders are way higher than 10% of what Sony's preorders are. Stop speaking for everyone else.

Your lack of intelligence is so annoying...

I'm not so sure. Xbox 1 may have a tough uphill battle ahead of it.

Amazon US best sellers (#1 PS4 Launch Edition - #2 Xbox One - #3 PS4 Standard Edition):
Amazon.com Best Sellers: Best Video Games

Amazon UK best sellers (#1 PS4 Launch Edition - #2 "The Last Of Us" video game - #3 Xbox One):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Seller...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2008197

Amazon Xbox One vs PS4 Facebook poll (PS4 is winning by a landslide):
https://www.facebook.com/AmazonVideoGames?v=app_153839431317646&rest=1
Amazon Holds PS4 vs Xbox One Vote, PS4 Winning By Embarrassingly Insane Ratio, Launch Guaranteed Version Sells Out - PlayStation LifeStyle

Guess we'll just have to wait and see when the dust settles.

Last edited:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It should be optional. All the people i know that have the Kinect don't use it. They used it for a week and now it's collecting dust. Nobody uses it. You have no idea how many times i told others, don't waste your money. Your not going to use it. And i can't count how many times they just plain out say I'm right. Its a waste of money. And incapacitates the 360 at start up.

FYI: The Kinect that comes with The One is not the same as the crappy Kinect that is on the 360.. Not by a mile. You can't use the previous one to point to future use.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
+you need to have disc in drive.

Nope, once you install the disk you'll never need it in the drive again. Heck, once you install it and it's tied to your account you will probably be able to just download it from Live if you ever need to reinstall it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You don't give up on things that quick IRL, do you? :) Only one or two trolls, the rest of the people are keeping it real....

It's not a matter of giving up because of one or two people. The whole first page after my first post was the exact kind of bickering and complaining I wanted to avoid in the thread. I didn't see anyone making actual suggestions to things that they view as problems.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Nope, once you install the disk you'll never need it in the drive again. Heck, once you install it and it's tied to your account you will probably be able to just download it from Live if you ever need to reinstall it.
I imagine that is very much true. If they say you are able to play your game from any console without need for the disc, that tells me you can download from the Xbox servers anywhere you are. Not unlike how Blizzard does it with both StarCraft games.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The whole first page after my first post was the exact kind of bickering and complaining I wanted to avoid in the thread. I didn't see anyone making actual suggestions to things that they view as problems.
Okay. I posted in another thread but I'll repost here since it's a possible solution:

Problem:
The internet goes out and you can't check-in for more than 24 hours. Your games get locked down whether you have the disc or not, and all you want to do is play video games, not watch TV. You like the ability to share Xbox One games with family members, play from any console, and play without the disc, but you also know your current ISP suffers from frequent long outages. You are unable to switch providers due to either cost or monopoly (or both).

Possible solution:
Microsoft could add a setting within the system that allows you to shut off the game DRM for games with the disc in the drive, but at the time you pick the setting, do a quick online check-in to ensure your disc-based games are unique. All your disc-based games are then locked to your console and that information is sent to Microsoft, so if you give someone else your disc, they won't be able to authenticate or install/play the game. If you pop in a new, previously uninstalled game, the system will require you to pop online quickly to check that in, and ensure the game is unique and not belonging to anyone else. This way, there is still only one person able to play offline. If you want to sell your game, there could even be an area where you could unlock particular titles from your console (so, you wouldn't be able to play without checking it back in, but you could sell the disc)

If you're in an area prone to internet outages, or you're paranoid, or you don't like connecting your console online very often... perform the process to check your games in so that they are available to you when internet isn't available. I would say even with this option available you could still connect and play online and do everything else, but if the internet went out, you would still have access to your disc-based games. And if your console couldn't check-in, shared games with your "10 family members" would cease to function, and you wouldn't be able to access your games on any other console without signing in to your own gamertag. Period.

I also say they should keep the same system they have now for purely digital (i.e. XBLA) games: Allow them to be DRM-free on the first console they are downloaded to. Then again, they could have done away with that because there were people abusing that... *sigh*... some people just ruin it for all the honest ones, don't they? Still, it would be nice to have the option of restricting a digital game to one console, so you wouldn't be able to play it on a remote console with your friend (and they couldn't access game sharing of your game either), but it would at least be available for those with frequent internet outages. I take it there are a lot of people with internet outages though, from all the outrage, which is kind of sad in 2013 :( ISPs suck.

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft should absolutely NOT make any changes to their vision for the Xbox One. Posters and bloggers (looking at you Thurrott) wanting Microsoft to ditch the Kinect to lower the price are looking to address short term issues and an admittedly poorly executed company performance at E3 by changing a product designed to last several years and catch the next big things: the inevitable move to cloud gaming; continuation of growth of streaming entertainment (and the decline of physical media); and the evolution of natural user interfaces. Including the Kinect in each unit makes developer investment in natural user interfaces much more likely and I happen to think the control of live TV will be not be the killer feature but certainly one people will talk about.

There is a much better way for Microsoft to recover from E3. Services. Here is how it could play out:

Sometime in July, Microsoft has a third event and says something like "In May we showed you our new Xbox One and the new Xbox 360. In June we revealed our outstanding game portfolio. Now it is time to talk about how we are evolving our Xbox Live services. First, we are pleased to announce that beginning with the release of Xbox One and the new Xbox 360 dashboard, any subscription services such as Netflix will be available for all Xbox One and 360 owners and will not require an Xbox Gold membership. We've added the following great services to the Xbox Live Gold membership to our best in class current offerings: (list the services and rumored new ones here). In addition, we are pleased to announce that Xbox Live Gold memberships on the Xbox One will now include a free Xbox Music pass. You will be able to share your music with up to 4 devices just as you can today: your PC, your Windows Phone, an Xbox 360, your choice. Xbox Live Gold memberships on Xbox One will also include 60 free minutes of Skype calls each month. We previously announced you would be able to store game highlights in the cloud to share with friends. With Xbox Box Live Gold this service is part of the 10Gb of free SkyDrive storage you will receive as part of your membership. You can also easily watch your personal videos and play back your pictures and your music collections from this storage. If you have other Microsoft services, such as Office 365, this SkyDrive storage is added to your account. We are also pleased to announce that there will be no increase in the annual fee for Xbox Live Gold on Xbox One."

Something like this....and there are certainly other possibilies such as monthly free games....would quickly add value to the Xbox One that Sony couldn't match and allow Microsoft to leave the product as designed. In a few years, the issues that are bothering a loud group of folks so much now won't even be issues any more. The most important thing Microsoft has said about the Xbox One is that it was designed to be futureproof. I think they are right about that. Today's issues can be dealt with and the "devices and services" company has the ability to overcome the short term issues if it wants to.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
OK, lets be real here. Something needs to give... Yea, you might say it's selling out but, from the links above the DRM issues, 24 hour checks and always online is effecting it. People are not happy about it at all.

Take a look at Amazon's Facebook pole... At this writing, 18555 PS4 and 1056 X1. The people are talking...

( https://www.facebook.com/AmazonVideoGames?v=app_153839431317646&rest=1 )

I guess Microsoft needs to allow used sales and I am not talking about Gamestop or Game (in the UK). There needs to be a way to disable or remove a Physical disk from your account (that can be proven, this disc is removed) so you can sell on ebay or give to someone NOT on your friends list for 30 days. If they want to do something like Sony is saying, make the online pass extra but, still can play the single player version. I think most people would accept that (but notall of them) but, I think I would be OK with that. Selling or trading on Microsoft's site is going to be like getting them at gamestop, where they mark it up to almost new retail and there is no point of that.

Then they need to kill the 24 hour checks in a way, so people with out a good internet connection can still access and play the signle player game with out a problem as long as they have a disc. I dont know the perfect way to solve this (Microsoft dug themselfes into this hole). But, it needs to work to make everyone happy here.

The biggest problems on the internet are..
1.Used games
2. Needing internet to play single player games

If Microsoft could find a happy medium here, it could make everyone happy and still move towards their end goal (a total digital based system with no physical media). They can move towards a more digital model by selling new games online for $50-55 and $59.99 in the store, buy online and save $5-10, it will sell a lot more.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft should absolutely NOT make any changes to their vision for the Xbox One. Posters and bloggers (looking at you Thurrott) wanting Microsoft to ditch the Kinect to lower the price are looking to address short term issues and an admittedly poorly executed company performance at E3 by changing a product designed to last several years and catch the next big things: the inevitable move to cloud gaming; continuation of growth of streaming entertainment (and the decline of physical media); and the evolution of natural user interfaces. Including the Kinect in each unit makes developer investment in natural user interfaces much more likely and I happen to think the control of live TV will be not be the killer feature but certainly one people will talk about.

There is a much better way for Microsoft to recover from E3. Services. Here is how it could play out:

Sometime in July, Microsoft has a third event and says something like "In May we showed you our new Xbox One and the new Xbox 360. In June we revealed our outstanding game portfolio. Now it is time to talk about how we are evolving our Xbox Live services. First, we are pleased to announce that beginning with the release of Xbox One and the new Xbox 360 dashboard, any subscription services such as Netflix will be available for all Xbox One and 360 owners and will not require an Xbox Gold membership. We've added the following great services to the Xbox Live Gold membership to our best in class current offerings: (list the services and rumored new ones here). In addition, we are pleased to announce that Xbox Live Gold memberships on the Xbox One will now include a free Xbox Music pass. You will be able to share your music with up to 4 devices just as you can today: your PC, your Windows Phone, an Xbox 360, your choice. Xbox Live Gold memberships on Xbox One will also include 60 free minutes of Skype calls each month. We previously announced you would be able to store game highlights in the cloud to share with friends. With Xbox Box Live Gold this service is part of the 10Gb of free SkyDrive storage you will receive as part of your membership. You can also easily watch your personal videos and play back your pictures and your music collections from this storage. If you have other Microsoft services, such as Office 365, this SkyDrive storage is added to your account. We are also pleased to announce that there will be no increase in the annual fee for Xbox Live Gold on Xbox One."

Something like this....and there are certainly other possibilies such as monthly free games....would quickly add value to the Xbox One that Sony couldn't match and allow Microsoft to leave the product as designed. In a few years, the issues that are bothering a loud group of folks so much now won't even be issues any more. The most important thing Microsoft has said about the Xbox One is that it was designed to be futureproof. I think they are right about that. Today's issues can be dealt with and the "devices and services" company has the ability to overcome the short term issues if it wants to.

Microsoft isn't going to over react because of what's going on online right now. They likely still have a few more big announcements that will clarify things or make these "problems" seem smaller, while also making the new benefits seem even more valuable.

The XBOX ONE isn't just a game console. There's going to be a lot more announced about how all of Windows will work together to create a sci-fi future.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I think the best way for Microsoft to do is to give two options:
1) Required check every 24 hours.
2) Op out of it; however, the DRM policies will be in the hand of publishers.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I think regardless if your view is what their doing is 100% right or not, one thing cant be denied, the overall view is not good in comparison to ps4. Mostly on net, but its already filtering into the real world.

So doing nothing could really affect it, and not just in the short term.
A lot of people buy their console based on what most of their friends are on.
So considering price, early adopters are important.

People do care about drm on disks, 24 hr check in, etc. So people just dismissing them as whiner etc isn't helpful because it really isn't just one or two people.
I'm not sure i would even call them vocal minority either.

I think if ms is able to show how the disk drm benefits them, maybe games that our 25% cheaper, they'll not like it but will quickly forget about it.

24 check in, is different. Even if its only 2wks out of the year you don't have connection, you would just pick up ps4, obviously longer for people who serve.
So when there's no connection make it so that disk has to be in machine.

Two things are obvious.
1. Ms has said single player games can work with out net.
2. To get most out of games you are needing to be online more and more.

So i think keep drm as it is, and get rid of the check in (using disk as check), as people will be going online anyway just how much would they really loose?

And ms needs to get vocal about the positives.
You don't want to gift your competitor a lead in console wars.
Selling out doesn't mean much, that in itself doesn't reflect demand.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So i think keep drm as it is, and get rid of the check in (using disk as check), as people will be going online anyway just how much would they really loose?

And ms needs to get vocal about the positives.
You don't want to gift your competitor a lead in console wars.
Selling out doesn't mean much, that in itself doesn't reflect demand.

See, if you require the disk in the drive, then there are really no positives to get vocal about... It's just a 360 with better graphics.

Eliminating the disk requirement allows you to share your games with people in your "family." I can share a game with my brother 3 hours away and he can play it without the disk, likewise he can buy a game and share it with me. Not possible when the disk is the DRM.

I'll take that option every single time.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
True, that was an assumption of mines, I'll take it back.
But again, just because its collecting dust on the 360, doesnt mean it'll collect dust on the One. It's not like theres a choice anyways ,if your getting the One, your getting the kinnect, so might as well use it to the fullest (which im sure will be more now that its require, the Kinnect has improved and does a lot more, and the Devs will be want to work with it more now that its mandatory).
It's like saying you want to buy a WP8 but you want it $50 cheaper because you dont want office on it because you dont use it. Sorry buddy, whether you use it a lot or a little, you're stuck with it. If anything it'll make your life easier the few times you'll use it. Same for the kinnect

actually it will collect dust. You will have to wipe the dust off everyday. Lol.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Okay. I posted in another thread but I'll repost here since it's a possible solution:

Problem:
The internet goes out and you can't check-in for more than 24 hours. Your games get locked down whether you have the disc or not, and all you want to do is play video games, not watch TV. You like the ability to share Xbox One games with family members, play from any console, and play without the disc, but you also know your current ISP suffers from frequent long outages. You are unable to switch providers due to either cost or monopoly (or both).

Possible solution:
Microsoft could add a setting within the system that allows you to shut off the game DRM for games with the disc in the drive, but at the time you pick the setting, do a quick online check-in to ensure your disc-based games are unique. All your disc-based games are then locked to your console and that information is sent to Microsoft, so if you give someone else your disc, they won't be able to authenticate or install/play the game. If you pop in a new, previously uninstalled game, the system will require you to pop online quickly to check that in, and ensure the game is unique and not belonging to anyone else. This way, there is still only one person able to play offline. If you want to sell your game, there could even be an area where you could unlock particular titles from your console (so, you wouldn't be able to play without checking it back in, but you could sell the disc)

If you're in an area prone to internet outages, or you're paranoid, or you don't like connecting your console online very often... perform the process to check your games in so that they are available to you when internet isn't available. I would say even with this option available you could still connect and play online and do everything else, but if the internet went out, you would still have access to your disc-based games. And if your console couldn't check-in, shared games with your "10 family members" would cease to function, and you wouldn't be able to access your games on any other console without signing in to your own gamertag. Period.

I also say they should keep the same system they have now for purely digital (i.e. XBLA) games: Allow them to be DRM-free on the first console they are downloaded to. Then again, they could have done away with that because there were people abusing that... *sigh*... some people just ruin it for all the honest ones, don't they? Still, it would be nice to have the option of restricting a digital game to one console, so you wouldn't be able to play it on a remote console with your friend (and they couldn't access game sharing of your game either), but it would at least be available for those with frequent internet outages. I take it there are a lot of people with internet outages though, from all the outrage, which is kind of sad in 2013 :( ISPs suck.

My concern with this idea of a verification switch is this:

Say I have all of my games set to "offline," meaning I have to use the disc to play. Now, say I go to a friend's to play a game with him. When I get to his house, I import my profile, and set all of my games to "online," meaning I need to disc. I then give up all of the licenses to my friend, meaning he is now the "owner" of the games and their licenses. He then leaves them all "online," meaning no disc needed. I then go home, and my Xbox One has not signed in since I changed the licenses to "online" and gave them to my friend. I never connect my Xbox One to the Internet to update that action, meaning my offline Xbox One thinks that I possess the license, so long as I use the disc. I play my games offline at-will with the disc, and my friend plays them online at-will with the online-verified license. My Xbox never gets told that I don't own the license, and my friend's Xbox never asks for the disc, so we have just made it so that I can use the disc to play and he can play through the online service, without ever having bought the disc.

Now, what if you had this occur between 5 or 10 friends, they'd give up the licenses from someone else's Xbox, then leave their Xboxes offline as long as they wanted only to play offline. You could essentially share that license amongst an indefinite number of people, by simply giving up the license from a different console than your own, and never signing yourself into Xbox LIVE with YOUR console again. You could then use this method to swap licenses as you wanted.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
See, if you require the disk in the drive, then there are really no positives to get vocal about... It's just a 360 with better graphics.

Eliminating the disk requirement allows you to share your games with people in your "family." I can share a game with my brother 3 hours away and he can play it without the disk, likewise he can buy a game and share it with me. Not possible when the disk is the DRM.

I'll take that option every single time.

So why not make that matter entirely optional? If you want the disc, buy the hard copy. If you do not, buy the digital copy. The point I have tried to make is that allowing me to play with the disc does not stop you from being able to go without a disc altogether, but this method DOES provide negatives for others.

As I have said, I don't really ever take my console offline, but I prefer to think of this from a larger scale, rather than simply if it hurts ME. You're saying that since it doesn't hurt you, it doesn't matter. I'm saying that there is a perfectly-vaible alternative that doesn't hurt any consumers, yourself included.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
True, that was an assumption of mines, I'll take it back.
But again, just because its collecting dust on the 360, doesnt mean it'll collect dust on the One. It's not like theres a choice anyways ,if your getting the One, your getting the kinnect, so might as well use it to the fullest (which im sure will be more now that its require, the Kinnect has improved and does a lot more, and the Devs will be want to work with it more now that its mandatory).
It's like saying you want to buy a WP8 but you want it $50 cheaper because you dont want office on it because you dont use it. Sorry buddy, whether you use it a lot or a little, you're stuck with it. If anything it'll make your life easier the few times you'll use it. Same for the kinnect

The RARE instances of benefit from the Kinect are not worth $100 to me. You also assume that "using the Kinect to the fullest," means something specific, and that every Kincet function is preferable to the controller-based one. I might be able to turn on my Xbox with my Kinect, but I do not find that to be preferable to using the controller because I prefer not to talk to my Xbox. I'd rather press "A" to start my game than tell my Kinect to do it. I simply do not prefer to talk to my console. I like to sit in silence and play without speaking, most of the time.

Also, the Office anaolgy is not the same. To ad an extra copy of Office is a neglible addition in cost for Micrsooft. Copying that piece of software is not expensive in the slightest. However, Microsoft has to pay for the parts and labor to build each Kinect, a higher cost for the company. This would be more like if Microsoft required EVERY Windows Phone device to have wireless charging, and you had to both buy a wireless charger for another $50, and you couldn't charge your phone if it wasn't on the wireless charger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb