Improving the Problems of Xbox One

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The 24-hour online check just to play a game that doesn't even have cloud component is a deal-breaker for 90% of the market. Microsoft really screwed themselves with this draconian DRM measure that nobody wanted.

Enough with the stubborn bull****. Xbox One preorders are way higher than 10% of what Sony's preorders are. Stop speaking for everyone else.

Your lack of intelligence is so annoying...

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The 24-hour online check just to play a game that doesn't even have cloud component is a deal-breaker for 90% of the market. .

If you want to contribute, then contribute... if you want to throw a hissy fit with your faux outrage then go somewhere else.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I swear people need to actually watch the original Xbox one announcement video, and actually see how kinect and the console work, then see Microsofts vision.

I honestly love the idea, i get home from work, i can say "Xbox on", "Xbox play Halo 5", "xbox playlist favourites", and regardless of what disk is in the drive, im ready to play halo, with my favourite tunes playing, all while making a sandwich and pouring a beer.

No more worrying about the kids ruining my disks, or which case they've put the disk in. 95% of the time my broadband will be fine for the callback, and in the odd scenario it isn't, it'll take 2 seconds to grab my mobile, fire up smartglass, and let the callback happen through my phone. Still faster than having to find the disk.

The whole point of the 24 hour callback, is to allow people to sell disks, so the solution is to sell disks cheaper, with non-resellable licenses. So i pay $50 for a sellable disk, or $30 for a non-resellable version. In one step, console gaming gets the price advantage of PC gaming, no 24 hour callback to worry about (with the non-sellable disks), and developers don't need to worry about second hand versions of games. Stop seeing the PS4 as their competition, and make Steam their competition.

Thing is, you're applying your issues to the group as a whole, and assuming it fits. I do not have kids. I have all of my discs in a CD case together, and have never ruined one myself. I don't like the idea of controlling my console via voice commands, I prefer controller input. I simply want to see options, not take away your preferred method of action. You could avoid the disc thing via digital purchase, but those without a steady Internet connection cannot avoid the check-in. Also, what do you mean you can satisfy the check-in with your phone number?

That last paragraph is an interesting concept, though. I do not see it as being a possible reality, though. Games will not drop to $30, even if you remove the ability to sell them because the market won't demand it. Also, PC gaming (at least from a new release standpoint) lost the price advantage a while ago, though they frequently have sales on games within a few months of release. I don't see how your concept works, just because I don't see a halving of game prices.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, went to bed and class, came back to continue the discussion, but I see that everyone brought the exact same bickering as before. I gave it a try, but you people have no intention of having intelligent discussion, so I give up.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, went to bed and class, came back to continue the discussion, but I see that everyone brought the exact same bickering as before. I gave it a try, but you people have no intention of having intelligent discussion, so I give up.

You don't give up on things that quick IRL, do you? :) Only one or two trolls, the rest of the people are keeping it real....

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
No it shouldn't. It would demolish the whole point MS is trying to do. Nobody (excluding fitness, dance, children games) will try to invent anything new on Kinect knowing the target audience most likely don't have the device. Now that everyone has it, situation is completely different. We might actually get some really cool stuff in future when devs really start to think outside the box.

I (almost) understand that people want that cool stuff be there ready and just then purchase the Kinect, but in this case you have to break some eggs to make omelet.

Only thing that could be done in this case from MS side is to increase the length of the pole in **** and decrease the price of the complete unit. But I am guessing, that they already take some hit with this price tag.

It should be optional. All the people i know that have the Kinect don't use it. They used it for a week and now it's collecting dust. Nobody uses it. You have no idea how many times i told others, don't waste your money. Your not going to use it. And i can't count how many times they just plain out say I'm right. Its a waste of money. And incapacitates the 360 at start up.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
It should be optional. All the people i know that have the Kinect don't use it. They used it for a week and now it's collecting dust. Nobody uses it. You have no idea how many times i told others, don't waste your money. Your not going to use it. And i can't count how many times they just plain out say I'm right. Its a waste of money. And incapacitates the 360 at start up.

Im trying to stick to the rules from the first post :p
I disagree..If you watch the XboxOne reveal you can see that you'd be able to use the Kinnect a lot more than on the 360, from things like turning the xbox on, to being able to change screen and pull up snap mode by a quick hand motion
Again, im not bashing, but from my perspective the kinnect is integrated to the One in a way that it wasnt (and couldnt) in the 360
Just because it was a 'waste' of money for some of your hardcore gamer friends (i always enjoyed the kinnect equivalent on the Wii,im a casual gamer, that likes playing fitness games :p) doesnt mean it wont work on the One, or that Devs wont develop for it

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
One problem many people have not talked about is the fact MS is using a locked in HD for their X1 whereas the PS4 is something you can switch out for expandable storage. It's no big deal for the most part, but let's say your HD crashes, you're gonna have to spend a lot of time re-downloading all your games, whereas having some physical copies of the PS4 or even a back up location on another HD or something can give you a sense of relief.

I'm also worried about X1 being potentially hacked. While it wasn't hacked to the level of PSN, didn't Live have a few outages? What if they **** off Anonymous or some hacker group? I hope they have potential workarounds for that.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Im trying to stick to the rules from the first post :p
I disagree..If you watch the XboxOne reveal you can see that you'd be able to use the Kinnect a lot more than on the 360, from things like turning the xbox on, to being able to change screen and pull up snap mode by a quick hand motion
Again, im not bashing, but from my perspective the kinnect is integrated to the One in a way that it wasnt (and couldnt) in the 360
Just because it was a 'waste' of money for some of your hardcore gamer friends (i always enjoyed the kinnect equivalent on the Wii,im a casual gamer, that likes playing fitness games :p) doesnt mean it wont work on the One, or that Devs wont develop for it

You can control it faster with a controller. And I never said that my my friends were hardcore gamers, you just assumed that. The ones that own one are the ones with a family and kids. The kids don't care about it. It collects just as much dust as the Wii in their entertainment center.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
One problem many people have not talked about is the fact MS is using a locked in HD for their X1 whereas the PS4 is something you can switch out for expandable storage. It's no big deal for the most part, but let's say your HD crashes, you're gonna have to spend a lot of time re-downloading all your games, whereas having some physical copies of the PS4 or even a back up location on another HD or something can give you a sense of relief.

I'm also worried about X1 being potentially hacked. While it wasn't hacked to the level of PSN, didn't Live have a few outages? What if they **** off Anonymous or some hacker group? I hope they have potential workarounds for that.

Well they did say that you can connect an external HDD, so maybe you could back something up. Clearly 500 GB is nothing. As far as being hacked, this is a pay to play service. You are paying for security.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Just because it's pay to play, doesn't mean it isn't free from hacking. Diablo 3 (not necessarily pay to play, but uses an auction house) has had accounts hacked. World of Warcraft has as well. And like I said, Xbox Live has had some outages as well.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
You can control it faster with a controller. And I never said that my my friends were hardcore gamers, you just assumed that. The ones that own one are the ones with a family and kids. The kids don't care about it. It collects just as much dust as the Wii in their entertainment center.

True, that was an assumption of mines, I'll take it back.
But again, just because its collecting dust on the 360, doesnt mean it'll collect dust on the One. It's not like theres a choice anyways ,if your getting the One, your getting the kinnect, so might as well use it to the fullest (which im sure will be more now that its require, the Kinnect has improved and does a lot more, and the Devs will be want to work with it more now that its mandatory).
It's like saying you want to buy a WP8 but you want it $50 cheaper because you dont want office on it because you dont use it. Sorry buddy, whether you use it a lot or a little, you're stuck with it. If anything it'll make your life easier the few times you'll use it. Same for the kinnect

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
In case some of you have forgotten, while the game is downloading to the hard drive, you can start playing that same game. So you don't have to wait for the entire game to redownload to the hard drive to play it. I don't think having a locked in HD will be a big deal since you can hook up an external hard drive and be able to install games to that external hard drive.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Kinect is integrated throughout the system for more than just games.

You may not like it, and that's fine. But for how the ONE functions, it is a NECESSARY component. Without it, it's a completely different machine.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site

Exactly. Like I said, there hasn't been business case for devs to create any usefull on Kinect (other than games based on Kinect). Now they have. I play only fps online so I have had no need for kinect on xbox360. But still I'm eagerly waiting how they will use kinect in very subtle but still useful ways in fps. I don't want to stand, wave my hands or shout when playing. But for example I could lean slightly to left to see around the corner.

VanillaFrog

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
So, microsoft need the 24 hour check in because of two reasons.
1. It needs to verify that you still own a game in your collection as you can transfer and sell your game licenses.
2. It checks that you and a "family member" are not playing at the same time as you can allow your family access to your games, no matter where they are in the world.

To solve the internet requirement problem all they need to do is allow you to be online and lock your game collection to your account. This will disable the above features and allow you to play offline indefinitely.

Fixed.

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
To solve the internet requirement problem all they need to do is allow you to be online and lock your game collection to your account. This will disable the above features and allow you to play offline indefinitely.

Fixed.

Why would I want to play offline? All my recent games I bought for xbox 360 I played exclusively online - campaign modes were done via co-op online with friends - MW2, Gears 3, Halo Reach, Battlefield 3, Forza 4, Halo 4 - All of these games I never spent a single minute playing offline and that's over the course of 4 years.

This is just my case but im sure im not alone and players like me are probably the majority.

Forza 5, Battlefield 4, Titanfall, KI these are all my Xbox One launch targets. Im not going to spend a minute playing those offline either. Nothings changed in how I play or how I use my xbox between the two generations. People need to stop making the offline and 24 hour check in such a big deal, the gaming industry is focused towards multiplayer. All the best selling titles from this generation are all online multiplayer games.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
So, microsoft need the 24 hour check in because of two reasons.
1. It needs to verify that you still own a game in your collection as you can transfer and sell your game licenses.
2. It checks that you and a "family member" are not playing at the same time as you can allow your family access to your games, no matter where they are in the world.

Fixed.

+you need to have disc in drive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999