06-14-2013 04:40 AM
178 12345 ...
tools
    sticking to guns or not. Not everyone can afford the price of new games. And if anything it should be cheaper to buy a downloaded game vs a disc one. But no prices will still be high and they'll charge for more and more stuff instead of selling a game that is completed. They'll use the internet thing as a way to say we can provide updates that way instead of just releasing a product when its been refined to the market. I buy used games cause there cheaper and I never worry about online play or what have you. Yes I understand lots of people do but not everyone does. It is saddening in a way that the game publishers are controlling it all. If for instance the killer instinct game is 60 but then you only get one character to play with unless you buy the rest that's just horrendous. Lets just keep bleeding the people dry. So yea I buy used for a reason and they've killed that aspect. No I'm not a ps fan. Never owned one. Never will. Its just all sad to me.
    This is a prime example of people getting news mixed up and then feeling upset about it. Then going online and repeating erroneous news.

Killer Instinct is going to have different payment options.
    There will be a game with the full stable of launch characters available for $60.
    There is the option of getting the FREE-TO-PLAY version with only one character, and then you could buy other characters as you want them.
    06-12-2013 12:26 PM
    I posted an article from Ars in another thread here, in which Microsoft explains that they expected this reaction. Why would they change their mind after bearing the brunt of all of the negative publicity for the sake of what they see as necessary change?
    I don't think a changing of minds from MS is necessary - I just think and I think what DavidinCT was getting at is that they need to iron out a few kinks in how it works when you've got circumstances outside your control.
    Mystictrust and DavidinCT like this.
    06-12-2013 12:26 PM
    What if PS4's game discs don't work?...
    I have played disc based games enough that they began to fracture, Halo 3 and MW2 namely, and both are now in my 360 Games on Demand collection. Purchased twice when I could have purchased once digitally.
    06-12-2013 12:27 PM
    This reply, of needing a internet only is a big F U to gamers PERIOD... Yea, I see his point, if your on a Sub, yea, you will have a problem with internet but, what if my home internet goes out for a few days (it's happend 2-3 times this year for 2-5 days)? So I can't play my X1 even if I have the physical disk that does not need cloud based content ? Yea, yea yea, call comcast up and give them a hard time, sure I do it and get a credit but, this does not mean I wont have issues time to time...

This is NOT about cloud based content, This is about DRM and his reply pretty much, if you have internet problems, stick with a 360, is a serious F U to gamers...

I will not pre-order a X1, I will wait till this BS is ironed out for good. If I have a phsycal disc and have no internet, I SHOULD be able to play my games as long as I have the disc in hand and it does not NEED cloud based content. Games should be labeled that they NEED a internet connection but, single player games ? Really ?

Anything less than this is unacceptable in my eyes (and my internet is fine 98% of the time).

I'm a big fan and use my 360 almost every day but, for this and the used game issue, I am leaning towards a PS4....

If you want a X1 and dont have a internet connection then bend over and take it up the A**...thanks MS...
    It's not a "F*** U" to gamers.

To drama queens maybe...

When all is said and done, you have a CHOICE.

Choose the system that satisfies what you want instead of demanding to be coddled by someone who is doing something else.
    06-12-2013 12:32 PM
    I don't think a changing of minds from MS is necessary - I just think and I think what DavidinCT was getting at is that they need to iron out a few kinks in how it works when you've got circumstances outside your control.
    Yeah, they need to lay out some real world examples of what could possibly happen. Like when does the 24 hour clock start. Let's say my internet went down at noon and my always on X1 can't call Microsoft. I get home at 8PM and want to play a game. Do I have 24 hours from when I launched that game or have 8 hours already ticked away? Or is it 24 hours per game. I launch Halo I can play that for 24 hours and what that time is up I launch Titanfall and I have 24 hours for that game? That method would at least give people who are down for 24+ some options....
    06-12-2013 12:35 PM
    Yeah, they need to lay out some real world examples of what could possibly happen. Like when does the 24 hour clock start. Let's say my internet went down at noon and my always on X1 can't call Microsoft. I get home at 8PM and want to play a game. Do I have 24 hours from when I launched that game or have 8 hours already ticked away? Or is it 24 hours per game. I launch Halo I can play that for 24 hours and what that time is up I launch Titanfall and I have 24 hours for that game? That method would at least give people who are down for 24+ some options....
    It will be 24 hours from the moment it last authenticated. If you take advantage of the devices features like they are designed, your system should always be connected. While you system is in standby mode, it is constantly connecting and authenticating. If you power your system down completely, then you have 24 hours from the moment you powered down your system.

Microsoft has not confirmed this, but please take it as a confirmation. Common sense... I will bet you thousands of dollars this is how it works.
    06-12-2013 01:40 PM
    Market pressure will force Microsoft to eliminate the check-in for single-player games that work in offline mode. They will not get away with this draconian measure that will brick a console.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    06-12-2013 01:58 PM
    Market pressure will force Microsoft to eliminate the check-in for single-player games that work in offline mode. They will not get away with this draconian measure that will brick a console.
    That gave me a laugh. The market doesn't know how to advance technology. The console works without internet. Games don't.

The market has already spoken with preorders. They are already selling, so there's absolutely no reason to change anything.
    06-12-2013 02:03 PM
    They will get away with it because of what it is powering...the sharing of games with friends without the need to swap a disc around, and if we understand it correctly, the opportunity to play a game with friends thousands of miles away without the need of both players owning the game. If you look at it from a current gen perspective then you will only see the negatives, but when you look at it from a next gen perspective it is opening up a lot of opportunities that would otherwise be impossible.

In the past the marvels of science were considered witchcraft by some...do we really want to burn Microsoft at the stake for thinking forward where the majority of the gaming population is so evidently stuck in the past and presuming the worst will come of these advancements? The beauty of it is if you really cannot see past the shroud of confusion that the internet is responsible for putting around this product, there are competing products available for any position you wish to take.
    06-12-2013 02:08 PM
    They will get away with it because of what it is powering...the sharing of games with friends without the need to swap a disc around, and if we understand it correctly, the opportunity to play a game with friends thousands of miles away without the need of both players owning the game. If you look at it from a current gen perspective then you will only see the negatives, but when you look at it from a next gen perspective it is opening up a lot of opportunities that would otherwise be impossible.

In the past the marvels of science were considered witchcraft by some...do we really want to burn Microsoft at the stake for thinking forward where the majority of the gaming population is so evidently stuck in the past and presuming the worst will come of these advancements? The beauty of it is if you really cannot see past the shroud of confusion that the internet is responsible for putting around this product, there are competing products available for any position you wish to take.
    So if a parent wants to give their kid a gaming console without internet connection(for obvious reasons) than the XBox One is a no buy. Microsoft basically wrote off 50 million sales just like that.
    06-12-2013 02:15 PM
    So if a parent wants to give their kid a gaming console without internet connection(for obvious reasons) than the XBox One is a no buy. Microsoft basically wrote off 50 million sales just like that.
    No one cares. Please shut up.
    06-12-2013 02:18 PM
    What are the obvious reasons? Also, I suppose there will be some parental settings that would allow tweaking what the account can and can not do.
    06-12-2013 02:20 PM
    No one cares. Please shut up.
    Regardless of what you think, it seems obvious to me that basically the entire Internet (barring MS-centric sites) is essentially exploding over this issue and the overwhelming majority of expressed opinions are agains the Xbone. Ctrl-Alt-Del, Penny Arcade, Kotaku, Polygon, Forbes, CNET, Ars Technica, The Verge, hell even 9GAG has image macros against MS. Have you seen Ars' commentary on this? They say Sony's announcement on game resales got over 25 seconds of sustained applause which is pretty big.

I don't have a hand in this game (I am of the PC Master Race) but it seems clear to me that based on the tech press' reactions, at least, Sony has won the 'hearts and minds' part of the battle, for now.
    06-12-2013 02:28 PM
    Regardless of what you think, it seems obvious to me that basically the entire Internet (barring MS-centric sites) is essentially exploding over this issue and the overwhelming majority of expressed opinions are agains the Xbone. Ctrl-Alt-Del, Penny Arcade, Kotaku, Polygon, Forbes, CNET, Ars Technica, The Verge, hell even 9GAG has image macros against MS. Have you seen Ars' commentary on this? They say Sony's announcement on game resales got over 25 seconds of sustained applause which is pretty big.

I don't have a hand in this game (I am of the PC Master Race) but it seems clear to me that based on the tech press' reactions, at least, Sony has won the 'hearts and minds' part of the battle, for now.
    This reminds me of political elections, where it's really all about PR, saying the things people want to hear, and bad mouthing your opponent.
    06-12-2013 02:32 PM

The consensus is that Sony smashed Microsoft at E3 this year. Not only that, but the other consensus seems to be that XB1 is DOA.
    06-12-2013 02:48 PM
    well you could say the same about "smartphones" and alot of devices in this world, if you are going to buy a Smartphone/tablet (even windows 8 computers with a Microsoft account attached to it), you wont be able to use it more than a dumbphone without internet, but people dont seem to complain about it. you cant buy or download games, you cant check your email, you cant use skype or whatsapp, or YouTube, or use turn by turn navigation, and well... you cant do almost anything, the OS expect you to do.

Also you dont even know what kind of DRM publishers are going to put in PS4, so you dont know today if not having internet would let you play 3rd party games there. since a game could ask you to be always online, or put a serial and authenticate it, so no internet, no games.

But I find it dumb to think you would buy a modern console with a vision Microsoft is having with Xbox One, spend $400-500 and don't have money to put internet on it.
    I mean.. have you seen all the internet features xbox one has? or the cloud vision Microsoft wants in xbox one? better get the son or daughter or whatever example you want to say, a book and give them something more educative, than an expensive console that wouldn't even have internet access.
    curseoftheninja likes this.
    06-12-2013 02:55 PM
    Microsoft can keep spinning this all they like. But the face of the matter is that any mobile game you buy for a smartphone will work forever without any internet check in. This internet check-in which assumes we are all THIEVES is what's ******* everyone off.
    06-12-2013 02:55 PM
    well you could say the same about "smartphones" and alot of devices in this world, if you are going to buy a Smartphone/tablet (even windows 8 computers with a Microsoft account attached to it), you wont be able to use it more than a dumbphone without internet, but people dont seem to complain about it. you cant buy or download games, you cant check your email, you cant use skype or whatsapp, or YouTube, or use turn by turn navigation, and well... you cant do almost anything, the OS expect you to do.

Also you dont even know what kind of DRM publishers are going to put in PS4, so you dont know today if not having internet would let you play 3rd party games there. since a game could ask you to be always online, or put a serial and authenticate it, so no internet, no games.

But I find it dumb to think you would buy a modern console with a vision Microsoft is having with Xbox One, spend $400-500 and don't have money to put internet on it.
    I mean.. have you seen all the internet features xbox one has? or the cloud vision Microsoft wants in xbox one? better get the son or daughter or whatever example you want to say, a book and give them something more educative, than an expensive console that wouldn't even have internet access.
    Mattrick basically said F U to military people.
    06-12-2013 02:56 PM
    Not only that, but the other consensus seems to be that XB1 is DOA.
    Pre-sales from both next gen consoles seem to tell a different tale. The 360 ruled with about ever single console crashing and buring and getting replaced. the PS3 did just fine with it overpriced for so long from the start. Both consoles are going to do just fine over the next 10 years.

It just amazes me that people, on a smartphone forum, are displaying faux outrage over a tech device that only needs to be online once every 24 hours. It blows my mind.

I will gladly take my X1 sending a few packets to Microsoft a day if the tradeoff is some of the awesome features like the family share. Sony's method of forcing you to have a disk in a drive as a method of DRM is so old, I don't even know where to begin. It's time to move on. If Microsoft loses a few sales the first year or so, well, they will survive just fine.

DOA... ha, i can't stop laughing....
    06-12-2013 03:09 PM
    It just amazes me that people, on a smartphone forum, are displaying faux outrage over a tech device that only needs to be online once every 24 hours. It blows my mind.
    This times a million.
    06-12-2013 03:24 PM
    To be honest, I've actually considered getting a PS3 because i need a Blu-Ray player (and they have some exclusives I'd like to try) but now that I am in my mid 30's I just don't think I could ever learn their goofy controller layout. I've been an B button A button, and X and Y guy my entire damn life. Old dog, new tricks..... I just don't think I could ever adjust.
    06-12-2013 03:27 PM
    I have no doubt in my mind that MS will lose the console race to Sony next generation. They clearly have delusional people running the company.
    06-12-2013 03:37 PM
    I have no doubt in my mind that MS will lose the console race to Sony next generation. They clearly have delusional people running the company.
    They might have a chance if they remove the draconian DRM in the next few weeks. Otherwise, they're dead baby dead.
    06-12-2013 03:40 PM
    Yet they raked in the money this generation even after forcing a pay wall on people to simply PLAY online or use features like Netflix while the other two did not. There was, and still is plenty of faux outrage over that one. Note that Sony now requires this too....

It does make a simple daily check-in seem pretty insignificant, no?
    06-12-2013 03:41 PM
    "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; its called Xbox 360, said Mattrick.
    He should've said "It's called PS4". Who wants to play a last gen system, when all these new games are going to be popping out? After this initial phase where we might see the 360 and X1 get the same games, developers aren't going to bother with the 360. It's like how EA had some of the first Maddens for both consoles, and after 3 years, you didn't see a single Madden for PS2/Xbox.

Yet they raked in the money this generation even after forcing a pay wall on people online or use features like Netflix while the other two did not. There was, and still is plenty of faux outrage over that one. Note that Sony now requires this too....

It does make a simple daily check-in seem pretty insignificant, no?
    I don't think Sony has established it's required to have PSN+ to use Netflix, Hulu, etc. As of now, it seems that PSN+ will only be geared towards multiplayer.
    06-12-2013 03:42 PM
178 12345 ...