MS responds to internet requirements: Get a 360

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You dont have ANY issue with that ?

Actually, I wouldn't, cos I rarely bother with purely single player games anyways and somehow I've gotten used to all this. When I think about what could I do on my PC if the internet went out.. it would be surprisingly little.

That said, my internet hasn't gone out for more than 24h in probably a decade, so I guess I'm lucky.

But naturally I'm not saying this would be the case for the majority, but just saying how it is for me :p Especially when in Finland regardless of the service provider, you are pretty much allowed to tether for free as long as you have some data plan, this literally is a total non-issue at least in Finland, but I realize not all places have it that good.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You are completely missing the point here. Internet is like anything else in life, it goes out time to time, some a little less than others but, it still is a issue for people. This is not about updates or bug fixes, this is about DRM, Needing a connection every 24 hours or your cant use the system is unacceptable. So even if I used the game yesterday and it's fully updated, my internet goes out for 2-3 days, after 1 day, I cant use my X1 with games I own the disc on and just playing the single player game (not online or needing Cloud based conent). Really ?

You dont have ANY issue with that ? Yea a simple smartphone app would be a simple workaround for the issue, but, it does not resolve the problem at hand.

and what happens if MS servers are hacked or down for some reason??? Global problem with NO ONE WHO HAS A X1 COULD PLAY ANY GAME. Yep, I do have a problem with that.

Technically that's not how it works - the check in is required every 24 hours but if a check in is missed you can still play offline for 24 hours.

What needs clarifying is if its 24 hours from the last check in realtime or whether its 24 hours from when you go to play and find you've not got a connection or even if its a timed thing where you've got 24 hours of offline playing time. Its ambiguous to say the least.

The last option although unlikely would be beneficial - if your internet is down for 3 days at least you know you've got 24 hours worth of game time - but as others have said the check in could easily be done via mobile. I

ts early days yet MS are bound to put in a work around for situations beyond a consumers control.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Under typical circumstances, if your internet is out for more than 24 hours, and you cannot connect via cell phone, you probably need to take a look outside anyways.

This concludes today's lesson in Zombie Apocolypse Preparedness 101.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Under typical circumstances, if your internet is out for more than 24 hours, and you cannot connect via cell phone, you probably need to take a look outside anyways.

This concludes today's lesson in Zombie Apocolypse Preparedness 101.

Yeah im not looking forward to that in the UK. US second amendment may be ridiculous in this day and age but all those guns sure will come in handy when the dead rise.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You dont have ANY issue with that ? Yea a simple smartphone app would be a simple workaround for the issue, but, it does not resolve the problem at hand.

No, I don't have a problem with that. Games don't rule my life.. If my internet is down for a bit and I can't play a game... big deal.. It's not life or death. I'll go ride my bike, watch a little TV, work on the lawn, maybe grab a beer down at the bar or about a dozen other things that I do to entertain myself.

I suppose there are people who need to be able to game 24/7, but I feel sorry for them.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
No, I don't have a problem with that. Games don't rule my life.. If my internet is down for a bit and I can't play a game... big deal.. It's not life or death. I'll go ride my bike, watch a little TV, work on the lawn, maybe grab a beer down at the bar or about a dozen other things that I do to entertain myself.

I suppose there are people who need to be able to game 24/7, but I feel sorry for them.

That's cool but, still the fact of a matter is, if I pay $500 for a system and $60 for a game, I expect to be able to play it when I want to, not forced by someone else when I can play it.

I guess to each their own. I dont need to game 24 hours a day 7 days a week but, in that case where it could happen to me that few times a year and that one day when Xbox live is down for 24-48 hours or my ISP has issues and I cant play content I wanted to play because of that window I can play in, I do have a major problem with it.

I'm sure in time this will be laxed a little, MS will take a lot of heat on this subject as it already has. It's been shown that this has been a PR nightmare and it's still months away from release.

I'm still on the thoughts, what if Xbox live is down ? Or hacked like PSN was ? or other issues, you cant play your game when you want to, that will always be a problem with me after all, I am paying to get the system, use xbox live and the game...

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That's cool but, still the fact of a matter is, if I pay $500 for a system and $60 for a game, I expect to be able to play it when I want to, not forced by someone else when I can play it.

I guess to each their own. I dont need to game 24 hours a day 7 days a week but, in that case where it could happen to me that few times a year and that one day when Xbox live is down for 24-48 hours or my ISP has issues and I cant play content I wanted to play because of that window I can play in, I do have a major problem with it.

I'm sure in time this will be laxed a little, MS will take a lot of heat on this subject as it already has. It's been shown that this has been a PR nightmare and it's still months away from release.

I'm still on the thoughts, what if Xbox live is down ? Or hacked like PSN was ? or other issues, you cant play your game when you want to, that will always be a problem with me after all, I am paying to get the system, use xbox live and the game...

What if PS4's game discs don't work?...

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

I totally understand where you're coming from, and respect your opinion. I won't try to change it.

When it comes down to it, it's possible it's a bigger deal then I think it is, and maybe it's not as big a deal as you think it is? Somewhere in the middle maybe, who knows.

As far as XBox Live being down... totally possible. Though I'm hoping their authentication servers are different then their servers for multiplayer so one does not effect the other. Once the authentication servers go down, they still have 24 hours to get it up.. As long as they are not using EA to run the servers.... :)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have never seen a more heated subject than this Xbox One. I have my opinions (which aren't all pro Microsoft and are just as valid by the way). But at the end of the day, its just a overpriced box no one really needs, keeping things in perspective.

There was a lot of pretty heated talk back in the day when the original XBOX launched with broadband-only instead of also having a regular modem for people on dial-up.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I posted an article from Ars in another thread here, in which Microsoft explains that they expected this reaction. Why would they change their mind after bearing the brunt of all of the negative publicity for the sake of what they see as necessary change?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
sticking to guns or not. Not everyone can afford the price of new games. And if anything it should be cheaper to buy a downloaded game vs a disc one. But no prices will still be high and they'll charge for more and more stuff instead of selling a game that is completed. They'll use the internet thing as a way to say we can provide updates that way instead of just releasing a product when its been refined to the market. I buy used games cause there cheaper and I never worry about online play or what have you. Yes I understand lots of people do but not everyone does. It is saddening in a way that the game publishers are controlling it all. If for instance the killer instinct game is 60 but then you only get one character to play with unless you buy the rest that's just horrendous. Lets just keep bleeding the people dry. So yea I buy used for a reason and they've killed that aspect. No I'm not a ps fan. Never owned one. Never will. Its just all sad to me.

This is a prime example of people getting news mixed up and then feeling upset about it. Then going online and repeating erroneous news.

Killer Instinct is going to have different payment options.
There will be a game with the full stable of launch characters available for $60.
There is the option of getting the FREE-TO-PLAY version with only one character, and then you could buy other characters as you want them.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I posted an article from Ars in another thread here, in which Microsoft explains that they expected this reaction. Why would they change their mind after bearing the brunt of all of the negative publicity for the sake of what they see as necessary change?

I don't think a changing of minds from MS is necessary - I just think and I think what DavidinCT was getting at is that they need to iron out a few kinks in how it works when you've got circumstances outside your control.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
This reply, of needing a internet only is a big F U to gamers PERIOD... Yea, I see his point, if your on a Sub, yea, you will have a problem with internet but, what if my home internet goes out for a few days (it's happend 2-3 times this year for 2-5 days)? So I can't play my X1 even if I have the physical disk that does not need cloud based content ? Yea, yea yea, call comcast up and give them a hard time, sure I do it and get a credit but, this does not mean I wont have issues time to time...

This is NOT about cloud based content, This is about DRM and his reply pretty much, if you have internet problems, stick with a 360, is a serious F U to gamers...

I will not pre-order a X1, I will wait till this BS is ironed out for good. If I have a phsycal disc and have no internet, I SHOULD be able to play my games as long as I have the disc in hand and it does not NEED cloud based content. Games should be labeled that they NEED a internet connection but, single player games ? Really ?

Anything less than this is unacceptable in my eyes (and my internet is fine 98% of the time).

I'm a big fan and use my 360 almost every day but, for this and the used game issue, I am leaning towards a PS4....

If you want a X1 and dont have a internet connection then bend over and take it up the A**...thanks MS...

It's not a "F*** U" to gamers.

To drama queens maybe...

When all is said and done, you have a CHOICE.

Choose the system that satisfies what you want instead of demanding to be coddled by someone who is doing something else.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think a changing of minds from MS is necessary - I just think and I think what DavidinCT was getting at is that they need to iron out a few kinks in how it works when you've got circumstances outside your control.

Yeah, they need to lay out some real world examples of what could possibly happen. Like when does the 24 hour clock start. Let's say my internet went down at noon and my always on X1 can't call Microsoft. I get home at 8PM and want to play a game. Do I have 24 hours from when I launched that game or have 8 hours already ticked away? Or is it 24 hours per game. I launch Halo I can play that for 24 hours and what that time is up I launch Titanfall and I have 24 hours for that game? That method would at least give people who are down for 24+ some options....

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, they need to lay out some real world examples of what could possibly happen. Like when does the 24 hour clock start. Let's say my internet went down at noon and my always on X1 can't call Microsoft. I get home at 8PM and want to play a game. Do I have 24 hours from when I launched that game or have 8 hours already ticked away? Or is it 24 hours per game. I launch Halo I can play that for 24 hours and what that time is up I launch Titanfall and I have 24 hours for that game? That method would at least give people who are down for 24+ some options....

It will be 24 hours from the moment it last authenticated. If you take advantage of the devices features like they are designed, your system should always be connected. While you system is in standby mode, it is constantly connecting and authenticating. If you power your system down completely, then you have 24 hours from the moment you powered down your system.

Microsoft has not confirmed this, but please take it as a confirmation. Common sense... I will bet you thousands of dollars this is how it works.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Market pressure will force Microsoft to eliminate the check-in for single-player games that work in offline mode. They will not get away with this draconian measure that will brick a console.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Market pressure will force Microsoft to eliminate the check-in for single-player games that work in offline mode. They will not get away with this draconian measure that will brick a console.

That gave me a laugh. The market doesn't know how to advance technology. The console works without internet. Games don't.

The market has already spoken with preorders. They are already selling, so there's absolutely no reason to change anything.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

They will get away with it because of what it is powering...the sharing of games with friends without the need to swap a disc around, and if we understand it correctly, the opportunity to play a game with friends thousands of miles away without the need of both players owning the game. If you look at it from a current gen perspective then you will only see the negatives, but when you look at it from a next gen perspective it is opening up a lot of opportunities that would otherwise be impossible.

In the past the marvels of science were considered witchcraft by some...do we really want to burn Microsoft at the stake for thinking forward where the majority of the gaming population is so evidently stuck in the past and presuming the worst will come of these advancements? The beauty of it is if you really cannot see past the shroud of confusion that the internet is responsible for putting around this product, there are competing products available for any position you wish to take.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They will get away with it because of what it is powering...the sharing of games with friends without the need to swap a disc around, and if we understand it correctly, the opportunity to play a game with friends thousands of miles away without the need of both players owning the game. If you look at it from a current gen perspective then you will only see the negatives, but when you look at it from a next gen perspective it is opening up a lot of opportunities that would otherwise be impossible.

In the past the marvels of science were considered witchcraft by some...do we really want to burn Microsoft at the stake for thinking forward where the majority of the gaming population is so evidently stuck in the past and presuming the worst will come of these advancements? The beauty of it is if you really cannot see past the shroud of confusion that the internet is responsible for putting around this product, there are competing products available for any position you wish to take.

So if a parent wants to give their kid a gaming console without internet connection(for obvious reasons) than the XBox One is a no buy. Microsoft basically wrote off 50 million sales just like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo