MS responds to internet requirements: Get a 360

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
So if a parent wants to give their kid a gaming console without internet connection(for obvious reasons) than the XBox One is a no buy. Microsoft basically wrote off 50 million sales just like that.

What are the obvious reasons? Also, I suppose there will be some parental settings that would allow tweaking what the account can and can not do.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
No one cares. Please shut up.

Regardless of what you think, it seems obvious to me that basically the entire Internet (barring MS-centric sites) is essentially exploding over this issue and the overwhelming majority of expressed opinions are agains the Xbone. Ctrl-Alt-Del, Penny Arcade, Kotaku, Polygon, Forbes, CNET, Ars Technica, The Verge, hell even 9GAG has image macros against MS. Have you seen Ars' commentary on this? They say Sony's announcement on game resales got over 25 seconds of sustained applause which is pretty big.

I don't have a hand in this game (I am of the PC Master Race) but it seems clear to me that based on the tech press' reactions, at least, Sony has won the 'hearts and minds' part of the battle, for now.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Regardless of what you think, it seems obvious to me that basically the entire Internet (barring MS-centric sites) is essentially exploding over this issue and the overwhelming majority of expressed opinions are agains the Xbone. Ctrl-Alt-Del, Penny Arcade, Kotaku, Polygon, Forbes, CNET, Ars Technica, The Verge, hell even 9GAG has image macros against MS. Have you seen Ars' commentary on this? They say Sony's announcement on game resales got over 25 seconds of sustained applause which is pretty big.

I don't have a hand in this game (I am of the PC Master Race) but it seems clear to me that based on the tech press' reactions, at least, Sony has won the 'hearts and minds' part of the battle, for now.

This reminds me of political elections, where it's really all about PR, saying the things people want to hear, and bad mouthing your opponent.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The consensus is that Sony smashed Microsoft at E3 this year. Not only that, but the other consensus seems to be that XB1 is DOA.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
So if a parent wants to give their kid a gaming console without internet connection(for obvious reasons) than the XBox One is a no buy. Microsoft basically wrote off 50 million sales just like that.

well you could say the same about "smartphones" and alot of devices in this world, if you are going to buy a Smartphone/tablet (even windows 8 computers with a Microsoft account attached to it), you wont be able to use it more than a dumbphone without internet, but people dont seem to complain about it. you cant buy or download games, you cant check your email, you cant use skype or whatsapp, or YouTube, or use turn by turn navigation, and well... you cant do almost anything, the OS expect you to do.

Also you dont even know what kind of DRM publishers are going to put in PS4, so you dont know today if not having internet would let you play 3rd party games there. since a game could ask you to be always online, or put a serial and authenticate it, so no internet, no games.

But I find it dumb to think you would buy a modern console with a vision Microsoft is having with Xbox One, spend $400-500 and don't have money to put internet on it.
I mean.. have you seen all the internet features xbox one has? or the cloud vision Microsoft wants in xbox one? better get the son or daughter or whatever example you want to say, a book and give them something more educative, than an expensive console that wouldn't even have internet access.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft can keep spinning this all they like. But the face of the matter is that any mobile game you buy for a smartphone will work forever without any internet check in. This internet check-in which assumes we are all THIEVES is what's pissing everyone off.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
well you could say the same about "smartphones" and alot of devices in this world, if you are going to buy a Smartphone/tablet (even windows 8 computers with a Microsoft account attached to it), you wont be able to use it more than a dumbphone without internet, but people dont seem to complain about it. you cant buy or download games, you cant check your email, you cant use skype or whatsapp, or YouTube, or use turn by turn navigation, and well... you cant do almost anything, the OS expect you to do.

Also you dont even know what kind of DRM publishers are going to put in PS4, so you dont know today if not having internet would let you play 3rd party games there. since a game could ask you to be always online, or put a serial and authenticate it, so no internet, no games.

But I find it dumb to think you would buy a modern console with a vision Microsoft is having with Xbox One, spend $400-500 and don't have money to put internet on it.
I mean.. have you seen all the internet features xbox one has? or the cloud vision Microsoft wants in xbox one? better get the son or daughter or whatever example you want to say, a book and give them something more educative, than an expensive console that wouldn't even have internet access.

Mattrick basically said F U to military people.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Not only that, but the other consensus seems to be that XB1 is DOA.

Pre-sales from both next gen consoles seem to tell a different tale. The 360 ruled with about ever single console crashing and buring and getting replaced. the PS3 did just fine with it overpriced for so long from the start. Both consoles are going to do just fine over the next 10 years.

It just amazes me that people, on a smartphone forum, are displaying faux outrage over a tech device that only needs to be online once every 24 hours. It blows my mind.

I will gladly take my X1 sending a few packets to Microsoft a day if the tradeoff is some of the awesome features like the family share. Sony's method of forcing you to have a disk in a drive as a method of DRM is so old, I don't even know where to begin. It's time to move on. If Microsoft loses a few sales the first year or so, well, they will survive just fine.

DOA... ha, i can't stop laughing....

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I've actually considered getting a PS3 because i need a Blu-Ray player (and they have some exclusives I'd like to try) but now that I am in my mid 30's I just don't think I could ever learn their goofy controller layout. I've been an B button A button, and X and Y guy my entire damn life. Old dog, new tricks..... I just don't think I could ever adjust.

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have no doubt in my mind that MS will lose the console race to Sony next generation. They clearly have delusional people running the company.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have no doubt in my mind that MS will lose the console race to Sony next generation. They clearly have delusional people running the company.

They might have a chance if they remove the draconian DRM in the next few weeks. Otherwise, they're dead baby dead.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Yet they raked in the money this generation even after forcing a pay wall on people to simply PLAY online or use features like Netflix while the other two did not. There was, and still is plenty of faux outrage over that one. Note that Sony now requires this too....

It does make a simple daily check-in seem pretty insignificant, no?

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it?s called Xbox 360,? said Mattrick.

He should've said "It's called PS4". Who wants to play a last gen system, when all these new games are going to be popping out? After this initial phase where we might see the 360 and X1 get the same games, developers aren't going to bother with the 360. It's like how EA had some of the first Maddens for both consoles, and after 3 years, you didn't see a single Madden for PS2/Xbox.

Yet they raked in the money this generation even after forcing a pay wall on people online or use features like Netflix while the other two did not. There was, and still is plenty of faux outrage over that one. Note that Sony now requires this too....

It does make a simple daily check-in seem pretty insignificant, no?

I don't think Sony has established it's required to have PSN+ to use Netflix, Hulu, etc. As of now, it seems that PSN+ will only be geared towards multiplayer.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Sony has established it's required to have PSN+ to use Netflix, Hulu, etc. As of now, it seems that PSN+ will only be geared towards multiplayer.

Yeah, I think you're right on that one. It's possible Microsoft could change that, but until they do I'm gonna assume they'll keep it the same as the 360 is... which for the record I think they should bring those apps out from behind the paywall, especially since they are also going after a non-gaming type market.

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
He should've said "It's called PS4". Who wants to play a last gen system, when all these new games are going to be popping out? After this initial phase where we might see the 360 and X1 get the same games, developers aren't going to bother with the 360. It's like how EA had some of the first Maddens for both consoles, and after 3 years, you didn't see a single Madden for PS2/Xbox.

They beat Sony this Gen but next Gen is different. Just like Sony won with the PS2 but lost with PS3 one Gen has no affect on the next.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The consensus is that Sony smashed Microsoft at E3 this year. Not only that, but the other consensus seems to be that XB1 is DOA.

Sony no question got a reaction at E3 by directly involving themselves in the exact issues that have been eluding the 'consensus.' And through what innovations? By sticking to the past? What happens when everyone actually understands the facts? Will Sony truly have 'smashed Microsoft' and rendered the X1 DoA? Enjoy the moment while it lasts, I say. Sony will fall behind in the next generation if they persist in and enforce their already fragmented stance.

Oterow

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I't seems as if evryone is blindly jumping the gun and clearly not thinking out of the box. 1.) Who is to say the the inital purchace of an X1 game wouldn't be cheaper than a PS4 game after all game pricing hasnt been announced yet. The same games on PC are a helluva lot cheaper than console games. 2.) The 3rd party devs/publishers like the idea of DRM, so who's to say that they will williningly support the PS4. 3.) And the comment from Sony about using the same DRM method as the current gen PS3; now this one caught my attention and I chuckled a little bit inside. Who is to say that the current PS3 dosent have a similar type of DRM method built in, which was later decided to not be enabled. Could be Sony double talk, bu tonly time will tell.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Mattrick basically said F U to military people.

This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on the Internet. Yes please design my next-gen console around military needs, priority #1! You know who is saying FU to the military? The military for not providing continuous stable Internet to our troops for downtime relaxing. How the military spends its time offline has absolutely nothing to do with MS.

This is outrage for the sake of outrage. I remember when steam was first announced. "But what if Valve goes out of business?!" "You can take my physical media from my cold dead hands!" Hey how is steam doing these days? "But but some steam games are cheap although that's irrelevant!" It's not about price, it's about content delivery. Steam has rules. The Xbone has rules. Take it or leave it, but don't pretend your edge scenarios are the best examples of today's everyman.

Wait wait I have another one! How dare Netflix not allow me to access every single movie they have when my internet goes down! I'm paying for it! What about the military?!? I should be able to download their entire movie library in case my internet disappears for a short time which rarely happens!

Also the things this new online system allows us to do is frankly awesome, so stop acting like it's 100% all negative and nothing positive. And for those of you whining about the kinect recording your underwear, seriously go get an education. Anything to enhance your critical thinking skills.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon