MS responds to internet requirements: Get a 360

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
One thing I think we can all agree on is that Microsoft has not done the best sales job on all this stuff.

Hahahaha! Aint that the truth!

That's the problem when you allow the media access to these business big wigs that aren't professional PR people.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Last time I did that, I got another infraction lol. Whatever makes them feel like they have authority I guess.

I was going to comment about this but, I decided I didn't want another infraction..... :)

I don't really care if MS loses a certain number of sales--who they want to market to is their own prerogative.

Really ? So, on release, Sony sells 4 million PS4s, and Microsoft only sells 1.2million X1s. Think about it. Who will get that next exclusive ? Oh, wait, they are releasing it for the PS4, not the X1...Oh, no !!! This publisher that did games for the 360 is going exclusuve to the PS4. So that is very important to all gamers... Like it or not.

Personally, I would not care too much as I will have them both at one point. A lot of peole would care.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Despite all this bad PR and what not, I don't think the beginning is going to matter much. Xbox fans will get their X1 and Sony fans will get their PS4. I think what's important is what's going to happen after that. We tech people who've been paying attention to this stuff have some idea of how X1's DRM/lending games/family share thing works. I think MS needs to figure out how to properly explain this to Average Joe, because when parents and kids have trouble understanding all these policies...that is when you might see a bigger backlash in sales and what not.

I mean, it's hard enough to explain to my mom, let alone my sister or brother that you can do this or that with your Iphone or GS3...I don't even want to get into it with people when it comes to all the stuff MS is doing.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Really ? So, on release, Sony sells 4 million PS4s, and Microsoft only sells 1.2million X1s. Think about it. Who will get that next exclusive ? Oh, wait, they are releasing it for the PS4, not the X1...Oh, no !!! This publisher that did games for the 360 is going exclusuve to the PS4. So that is very important to all gamers... Like it or not.

Personally, I would not care too much as I will have them both at one point. A lot of peole would care.

Good point. I guess I would restate that to say that I don't really care if MS loses some of their market share as long as they remain a viable competitor. I don't really see them plunging to those type numbers, but stranger things have happened.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This could easily be solved by adding a setting within the system that allows you to shut off the game DRM for games with the disc in the drive, but at the time you pick the setting, do a quick online check-in to ensure your disc-based games are unique.

Not a bad option at all, actually. However the point of view a few of us have been discussing is the people who have zero access to the Internet. This method obviously would not work.

Another solution I've seen mentioned, which I like, is also verify via the Smartglass app. If you XB1 can't get online, have it display a barcode which you use your Smartglass app to take a picture of to transmit to Microsoft which they will then display a barcode that you hold up to your manditory Kinect and BAM, you're back online already.

Or, better yet. Your smartphone/tablet connects to your XB1 via WiFi Direct and basically "tethers" to verify. That way if I don't want my kid to have Internet in his room I just verify via my WP8/Droid/iPhone and he/she is up and running.

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Comparisons with electricity are stupid, if the power goes out nothing is working. If you lose internet for a long period for any reason then hardware which is fully capable of functioning, doesn't.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
But in order for it to work the "way it works now" you can't just have the disk as a back-up if you are offline, you need to require the disk 100% of the time otherwise I could install the game and use my online connection to validate and play without a disk and then give you the game and you could play offline with the disk in the drive. The only way to prevent that is to require the disk 100% of the time.

If you require the disk 100% of the time, then I can't allow 9 other people on my family account to also play the game. I have a brother 3 hours away, with the XB1 we can be on the same family plan and each by different games and swap them. You can't do that when you require the disk to play.

Ok, think this way... Internet is down OR xbox live is down, You can't play your game on your local xbox. You have a game that is already installed to your system (X1 knows the game was installed on this console with this serial number disc), you put in the exact disc you installed to your system with. You can play that single player game fine on that system, your xbox 1 knows it's your game because it was already installed to your system before from that exact disc.

This would limit to One system, one disc. This would posably solve most people's problem with it, as they would only need a internet connection to install the game(confirm on your account) and they can play local games on the system off line, WITH THE DISC in the drive.

This would also not allow this disc to be installed to different machines and would make people with a good internet connection work like they said and it should solve almost everyone's problem with this.

Another solution I've seen mentioned, which I like, is also verify via the Smartglass app. If you XB1 can't get online, have it display a barcode which you use your Smartglass app to take a picture of to transmit to Microsoft which they will then display a barcode that you hold up to your manditory Kinect and BAM, you're back online already

Has Microsoft actually said anything like this ? Where you can verify via the Smartglass app ? This is a good workaround, does not solve my major issue with it but, it could solve a lot of people's temp issues. Tethering is not a option as I wont be willing to pay an extra $20-30 a month to Verizon to enable it on my phone and I am sure a lot of others feel the same.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I might have to process it more since my brian is on shutdown this week, but what you said makes sense.

It does just address one type of scenario. It would not help anybody who just bought the new Halo game, gets home and finds out their internet is down, or the situation you mentioned above about people not having Internet at all. So that might be a workaround for somebody with it already installed, but then they need to come up with a workaround for the other options.

I'm really hoping they will use SmartGlass to be that 24 hour check-in option if needed.

p.s. I am enjoying this discussion.

Ok, think this way... Internet is down OR xbox live is down, You can't play your game on your local xbox. You have a game that is already installed to your system (X1 knows the game was installed on this console with this serial number disc), you put in the exact disc you installed to your system with. You can play that single player game fine on that system, your xbox 1 knows it's your game because it was already installed to your system before from that exact disc.

This would limit to One system, one disc. This would posably solve most people's problem with it, as they would only need a internet connection to install the game(confirm on your account) and they can play local games on the system off line, WITH THE DISC in the drive.

This would also not allow this disc to be installed to different machines and would make people with a good internet connection work like they said and it should solve everyone's problem with this.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I was going to comment about this but, I decided I didn't want another infraction..... :)

I don't think it's that simple.

We do know that both Sony and MS are willing to PAY publishers for exclusives. It may not be enough to offset a huge difference in sales for top franchises though.

But a smaller amount of consoles sold doesn't necessarily translate to less money for the game publishers. This is especially true since the publishers will be getting a cut from used game sales with the ONE.

To take your numbers (which I think are way off from what it will be in actuality)

If Sony sells 4 million consoles, the dev will be depending on the sales that happen in the first month or two. They'll hope that a large portion of those 4 million will want to buy the game NEW. (which is a gamble considering the reason many people are praising the PS4 is because they want to buy USED game discs that they can also lend to their friends)

If the XBOX ONE has 1.2 million consoles out there, the devs will be looking at a more long-term strategy. How many initial full price sales will they get in the first 2 months? Then over the next year or so, how much will they make from used game sales?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Has Microsoft actually said anything like this ? Where you can verify via the Smartglass app ? This is a good workaround, does not solve my major issue with it but, it could solve a lot of people's temp issues. Tethering is not a option as I wont be willing to pay an extra $20-30 a month to Verizon to enable it on my phone and I am sure a lot of others feel the same.

No, they have not said anything like that. I'd like to take credit for it, but I'm pretty sure I got the idea from somebody else. :smile:

It seems like a heck of a way to get it done though, doesn't it? If they don't fracking do that I guess I'm going to get a job there and get it done... It's seems like a simple solution. And if a device can connect via WiFi Direct, you even can take the bar code crap out of the picture. (I admit I don't know much about WiFi direct however)

Marty Larsson

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Theirs a lot of people saying that the restrictions etc don't matter, so if Xbox One was released at a cheaper price & without the 24hr internet check in etc, i think for sure Xbox One wee would be hearing nothing but good news about it and how better it is than the ps4. Clearly Microsoft have done this for a reason knowing their was going to be some kind of backlash due to the DRM etc i think their is more than meets the eye Ill reserve my judgement on the xbox one when its released but for now im thinking of jumping ship for the first time to ps4 :|

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Theirs a lot of people saying that the restrictions etc don't matter, so if Xbox One was released at a cheaper price & without the 24hr internet check in etc, i think for sure Xbox One wee would be hearing nothing but good news about it and how better it is than the ps4. Clearly Microsoft have done this for a reason knowing their was going to be some kind of backlash due to the DRM etc i think their is more than meets the eye Ill reserve my judgement on the xbox one when its released but for now im thinking of jumping ship for the first time to ps4 :|

I think the every 24 hour online check is what's getting everyone angry about it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I might have to process it more since my brian is on shutdown this week, but what you said makes sense.

It does just address one type of scenario. It would not help anybody who just bought the new Halo game, gets home and finds out their internet is down, or the situation you mentioned above about people not having Internet at all. So that might be a workaround for somebody with it already installed, but then they need to come up with a workaround for the other options.

I'm really hoping they will use SmartGlass to be that 24 hour check-in option if needed.

p.s. I am enjoying this discussion.

Yea it does not solve the New game and No internet so cant use it but, right now, you can't now anyway. My thought to allow that option will allow that one kid who knows this is how it works, to run to a friends with internet to install it, then he can play his game with out worrying about needing a perm internet connection. Same with people with crappy internet. All they would need is a internet connection when they install the game. If my internet goes out, I can play the games that I own (already installed) and have the disc without preying my internet comes back in 24 or 48 hours.

Giving my case to, Physcial disk should rule...

Yea, I am enjoying this chat too but, If Microsoft was actually listening and would even think about adding these thoughts, MAYBE everyone could be happy and make a better system in the long run, it would be much better. :)

No, they have not said anything like that. I'd like to take credit for it, but I'm pretty sure I got the idea from somebody else. :smile:

It seems like a heck of a way to get it done though, doesn't it? If they don't fracking do that I guess I'm going to get a job there and get it done... It's seems like a simple solution. And if a device can connect via WiFi Direct, you even can take the bar code crap out of the picture. (I admit I don't know much about WiFi direct however)

This would almost solve (for most people) my other thought, as that temp internet connection to verify the game for install. This would be a great way to get it done, no question. As long as we dont need to tether to do it...

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
If the XBOX ONE has 1.2 million consoles out there, the devs will be looking at a more long-term strategy. How many initial full price sales will they get in the first 2 months? Then over the next year or so, how much will they make from used game sales?
although i agree with your reasoning, i see that as being the case short term.

As the more people who has the console means more of their friends will buy into it also. So the gap could grow.

And i think middle to long term its going to be about digital not disk, so the amount of actual consoles sold becomes even more important.
Both Sony and ms is counting on that in my view.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This would almost solve (for most people) my other thought, as that temp internet connection to verify the game for install. This would be a great way to get it done, no question. As long as we dont need to tether to do it...

Yeah, I mean for us just sitting here arm chair QB'ing it, it seems like a no brainer. Tethering should not need to be required because you could either (1) Go the barcode on the screen route and have SmartGlass transmit the info.. or (2) have the XB1 connect to the smartphone via WiFi direct.

The XB1 wouldn't need to go "online", just give some info to the smartphone, and have the smartphone go online, then send back the info back to the device.

I'm actually starting to get myself worked up a bit and if they don't do this, I'm gonna be grumpy. :smile: :smile: If the only option is to simply connect to your home broadband, or have to pay for tethering to your smartphone, then I will consider that a failure. Don't get me wrong. I'm still going to get the XB1 simply because in my mid 30's I've got A,B, X, Y burned into my brain and there is no way I could adjust to a PS4 controller. HAHA.

I have to get some work done, so I think I need to sign out for a while, so i'm not ignoring ya!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually starting to get myself worked up a bit and if they don't do this, I'm gonna be grumpy. :smile: :smile: If the only option is to simply connect to your home broadband, or have to pay for tethering to your smartphone, then I will consider that a failure. Don't get me wrong. I'm still going to get the XB1 simply because in my mid 30's I've got A,B, X, Y burned into my brain and there is no way I could adjust to a PS4 controller. HAHA.

I have to get some work done, so I think I need to sign out for a while, so i'm not ignoring ya!

Agreed. I hope they give something here. They need to do something to make gamers happy, I know nothing they can do will really make everyone happy (with all the limits this DRM is putting on users) but, this would be a nice work-around for people. Allowing a game that was already installed to be played if internet is lose as long as the orginal disc is in the drive would be a very acceptable workaround for this problem and even verfiying it via Smartglass would almost solve the problem for a ton of people (not everyone but, it would be a nice step)

I have a PS3 and playing "The Last of US" now (awsome game, If Naughty Dog came to X1, I would not get a PS4) on the PS3 so getting a PS4 is not a big deal to me. As I have both now, I will have both PS4 and X1 at some point. I do use my 360 a lot more than my PS3 tho...

No worries, I will be off line for a while too...

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Comparisons with electricity are stupid, if the power goes out nothing is working. If you lose internet for a long period for any reason then hardware which is fully capable of functioning, doesn't.

I can't remember the last time that my internet was down, especially for an extended period of time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire