MS responds to internet requirements: Get a 360

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
although i agree with your reasoning, i see that as being the case short term.

As the more people who has the console means more of their friends will buy into it also. So the gap could grow.

And i think middle to long term its going to be about digital not disk, so the amount of actual consoles sold becomes even more important.
Both Sony and ms is counting on that in my view.

And if things move even more and more to digital, what's to stop XBOX ONE market share from increasing?

I think one of its strengths is that it's aimed at a more casual audience. Some people may not feel comfortable spending $399 on a dedicated video game console. But those same people might be okay spending $499 for a Video Game Console + a multimedia hub + futuristing media controls.

I can see Sony winning over many of the younger gamers. But the average "gamer" is in his mid-thirties right now. Most people like stuff like fantasy football and fantasy basketball, while the E3 crowd, "gamers", and video game bloggers hate that kind of stuff.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I hope they give something here. They need to do something to make gamers happy, I know nothing they can do will really make everyone happy (with all the limits this DRM is putting on users) but, this would be a nice work-around for people. Allowing a game that was already installed to be played if internet is lose as long as the orginal disc is in the drive would be a very acceptable workaround for this problem and even verfiying it via Smartglass would almost solve the problem for a ton of people (not everyone but, it would be a nice step)

I have a PS3 and playing "The Last of US" now (awsome game, If Naughty Dog came to X1, I would not get a PS4) on the PS3 so getting a PS4 is not a big deal to me. As I have both now, I will have both PS4 and X1 at some point. I do use my 360 a lot more than my PS3 tho...

No worries, I will be off line for a while too...

Naughty Dog makes some awesome games. I look forward to see the next gen iterations of Uncharted and The Last of Us.

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I was interested in getting Xbox-one even with the 24hr check-in BUT they are releasing it in Asia in Late 2014. So, Sony PS4 will be my only option.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Naughty Dog makes some awesome games. I look forward to see the next gen iterations of Uncharted and The Last of Us.

Wow, you said something that I totally agree with you on !

Yea, wish they would come over to the dark side....We have cookies ! :)

All kidding aside, the Uncharted series is one of my all time favs. One of the best series of games I have ever played (all 4 of them, yea, I picked up the Vita to play it). Worth owning a PS3 just for that series alone.

If they release a Uncharted 4 for the PS4...I will go out and grab a PS4 that day if I don't already have one by that point...just for that game..

and the Last of US is pretty epic so far but, only an hour or 2 into it...

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I'll be interested to see how they handle an online device coming to the end of its lifespan, such as the x360 as MS start reducing support for the games. They can't just turn off all the supporting servers and tell people none of the games relying on online DRM/servers will work anymore. The obvious thing is to release a new dashboard that allows such games to function as stand alone but we'll see.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
And if things move even more and more to digital, what's to stop XBOX ONE market share from increasing?

I think one of its strengths is that it's aimed at a more casual audience. Some people may not feel comfortable spending $399 on a dedicated video game console. But those same people might be okay spending $499 for a Video Game Console + a multimedia hub + futuristing media controls.

I can see Sony winning over many of the younger gamers. But the average "gamer" is in his mid-thirties right now. Most people like stuff like fantasy football and fantasy basketball, while the E3 crowd, "gamers", and video game bloggers hate that kind of stuff.
I'm pretty sure ps4 will also have media capabilities. I believe ps3 has the highest Netflix user base in usa.

Anyway i was commenting on what difference install base makes.
Short term smaller user base may not necessarily mean less money going to publishers due to reasons given, middle to long term i think it would.

I personally think for the price that consoles initially come out for its the gamers that drive those sales.
PS3 was bit different at the time, blu ray players weren't much cheaper etc

Xbox1 is compelling no doubting that from me, especially as an all round package.

curseoftheninja

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

This is my thought exactly. I love games, but being married, 27, and in graduate school I don't have the time I once did. A system that plays games (when I have the time) but ALSO does multimedia is what I want. I think Microsoft is taking advantage of a great opportunity.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Ms could drop xbox like hot cakes, but 360 and xbox1 is different, whether it be dashboard update or a little wp8 running just doing authentication on the cloud.
I've seen people worried about not being able to play their xbox1 games in the future (15 years etc), i just don't see that happening, some one would hack it if it ever got that bad. Lol

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
This is my thought exactly. I love games, but being married, 27, and in graduate school I don't have the time I once did. A system that plays games (when I have the time) but ALSO does multimedia is what I want. I think Microsoft is taking advantage of a great opportunity.
i also think ps4 will do media just not as flashy maybe.
Most of the people at e3 didn't look like teenagers to me lol
Personally i actually like what ms is doing over all.
To me their pushing consoles further, regardless of specs.

Ps4 is more of the same, just better
Xbox 1 what people was watching in films about the future just last week lol

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have absolutely 0 plans to buy any physical media this time around depending on everything being available and how the process works in the end. I am so looking forward to that with three kids and three Xbox's in the house. No more broken/scratched discs or

"Where's my game it's not in the drive?!"
"It's upstairs Dad"
"Damnit I just sat down and got comfortable!"

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow, you said something that I totally agree with you on !

Yea, wish they would come over to the dark side....We have cookies ! :)

All kidding aside, the Uncharted series is one of my all time favs. One of the best series of games I have ever played (all 4 of them, yea, I picked up the Vita to play it). Worth owning a PS3 just for that series alone.

If they release a Uncharted 4 for the PS4...I will go out and grab a PS4 that day if I don't already have one by that point...just for that game..

and the Last of US is pretty epic so far but, only an hour or 2 into it...

Doesn't that game come out on Friday? Can't wait to get my hands on it >_>. We should play MP when the time comes.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
i also think ps4 will do media just not as flashy maybe.

Just like the Wii can do games. Just less flashy.

Most of the people at e3 didn't look like teenagers to me lol

They're not exactly typical people. Most of them were game journalists or bloggers. Not really the ESPN type.

Personally i actually like what ms is doing over all.
To me their pushing consoles further, regardless of specs.

Ps4 is more of the same, just better
Xbox 1 what people was watching in films about the future just last week lol

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Just like the Wii can do games. Just less flashy.
Yes, what's your point? And it also sold very well.

And lots of people will be happy not to change the channel with voice and gestures.
apart from live tv, do we actually know what the ps4 will and will not do with media, what its interface will be like also? I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than adequate for most people.

Reminds me when people was making out xbox1 wouldn't play games, just because it hadn't been shown yet.

Most people get their information from the media, the same people that are at e3

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I honestly have no idea what you are referencing. They have not lied about anything. They have always been direct. If you only look at the official announcement Microsoft made, they have never lied about anything.

The problems happened when you and all the other people take the official information Microsoft was giving us and kept adding and mixing in information that you got from news outlets and the media.

The people that never read a news article about Xbox One, the people that didn't go digging through the internet to find information that was guaranteed to be incorrect and tampered, the people that only heard what Microsoft told them and no one else; Those are the people that still support Xbox One and aren't complaining about it.

All these news articles that featured quotes from private interviews after May 21st sharing new information that was not revealed at the event, they are the ones to blame for your disappoint. They give you the information that generates interest and nothing else.

Maybe implying MS wasn't being honest wasn't the correct way to get my point across.

But there has been a huge issue with being direct and transparent in answering questions.

And please don't attribute things to me that did not happen. Nowhere did I take things from inaccurate media reports and twist them as the truth. Any post I've made has been based on MS not being completely clear on their language on the Xbox One and nothing more. Even some folks who have pledged their first born children to the console have admitted that alot of the language is vague and that hopefully, MS offers more explanations.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys.

If this truly turns out to be a problem, Microsoft will just put out a update to solve the Internet check in blues.

So no worries. Game on.

argenys

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Funny thing is I imagine as the years go by a majority of game sales could come from the internet, at which point Microsoft's policies are much more open than Sony's .

wayne310

May 13, 2013
Visit site
its just once in 24 hours

most kids cannot live without internet for even 10 minutes and acting like they are gonna be stuck in desert with only water and xbox one..and OMG!!! what will i do without offline play?

internet is full of retards and MS is aiming for a more grown up audience that needs their home entertainment needs met.

i have never been an intensive gamer on consoles and can imagine why i would need more than just a gaming machine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234