• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
07-25-2013 04:24 PM
108 1234 ...
tools
    Its being ignored because its a potentially positive news story. Only negatives get ms in the press at the moment
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express
    06-12-2013 12:55 PM
    I found this feature top shelf. It is a shame so many people are so quick to dog the Xbox One without knowing everything about it. The "used" game dilemma and access once every 24 hours is the focus. Forgetting that 3rd party publishers that decide to limit resales will do it on both systems.

Anyway, on topic, this is very cool. I am a cheapassgamer ;), and would the idea of sharing my games and 'families' games. Why worry about reselling games if you have 10 family members that share. It takes a village.
    Mystictrust likes this.
    06-12-2013 02:46 PM
    hmm well the xbox site news thing says

"You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time." well that says ALWAYS. if you couldn't play your games you are the owner whenever you want at anytime you want (you still are the owner anyway) only because someone else is playing it then I don't think it would say "always". but of course we will have to wait for xbox one to be released to see how it will really work, they haven't shown or go much on detail in this kind of stuff. but it says "always"
    I agree with Winning Guy when he says it sounds too good to be true... but, at the same time... maybe that's a benefit of being locked-in to 24 hour check-ins and the process to sell your games?

The way I've been assuming it will work, because they keep stressing "family members can access your shared library", is that you just remove a current game you are playing from your "shared" list so no other family member can play it and yu wouldn't be locked out from playing. OR, They could also put in a system where if the content owner (me!) wants to play the game, it does an insta-save for the family members currently playing it, and gives them a courtesy message letting them know that the content owner has priority access to that game... something like that. That type of scenario allows for you to "always" have access. OR, maybe you can always play, and one other family member can also play at the same time, but you just can't be in the same games together (i.e. same multiplayer lobby, or whatever).

This is an amazing feature. My brother is EXTREMELY limited in his scope of games, but when he was over for Christmas and saw me playing Skyrim, he was hooked, bought it, and now we talk about it all the time. Point is: I can now showcase games for him without any upfront cost for him at all... and I assume if he likes it enough, he will purchase his own copy so we can game together. I know I want to try out the new FIFA 14, but I'm not interested enough to purchase it without playing - as my brother is. He will share the game with me so I can try it out.

This is the power of the Xbox One.
    06-12-2013 07:41 PM
    I'm pretty sure that being in one family makes you unable to join any other family, though.
    I don't know if it's that. I think it's more that if you are sharing a game from someone else's license, you cannot offer to share it. If I buy a game and can share it with up to 10 other, I can share it with you and 9 others, but I can't share it with you and 9 others, then have you share it with 10 others as well. you might be able to be in multiple families, but only one person (the primary license holder) would be allowed to control sharing, with a 10-person limit on it.
    06-12-2013 09:28 PM
    If that's true, that would be beyond awesome consumer-wise.

Sounds too good to be true actually.
    I agree it sounds too good to be true. However, that could literally mean that games end up costing an average of $6 per person, if you are in a network of 10 friends who can respectable share games together (especially if 2 can play at the same time). I mean, if this was true, it might single-handedly be a good-enough feature that I would suck up my distaste for the required Kinect and all of that to support such an amazingly consumer-friendly thing.

That, though, is why I think that it is too good to be true. Not to change this to "bash Microsoft," but their actions thus far haven't been ones that sit well with me, and the general appearance here has been to minimize game sharing and lost sales via used games, so basically allowing each user to give away 9 copies of a game seems to totally circumvent that plan. Though 9 people might not share Call of Duty: Ghosts because they all want to play online together, I would easily see maybe those 10 people paying for just 5 copies, which would allow all 10 to play together, if the whole "you and a family member at once" portion is correct.
    06-12-2013 09:35 PM
    I agree with Winning Guy when he says it sounds too good to be true... but, at the same time... maybe that's a benefit of being locked-in to 24 hour check-ins and the process to sell your games?

The way I've been assuming it will work, because they keep stressing "family members can access your shared library", is that you just remove a current game you are playing from your "shared" list so no other family member can play it and yu wouldn't be locked out from playing. OR, They could also put in a system where if the content owner (me!) wants to play the game, it does an insta-save for the family members currently playing it, and gives them a courtesy message letting them know that the content owner has priority access to that game... something like that. That type of scenario allows for you to "always" have access. OR, maybe you can always play, and one other family member can also play at the same time, but you just can't be in the same games together (i.e. same multiplayer lobby, or whatever).

This is an amazing feature. My brother is EXTREMELY limited in his scope of games, but when he was over for Christmas and saw me playing Skyrim, he was hooked, bought it, and now we talk about it all the time. Point is: I can now showcase games for him without any upfront cost for him at all... and I assume if he likes it enough, he will purchase his own copy so we can game together. I know I want to try out the new FIFA 14, but I'm not interested enough to purchase it without playing - as my brother is. He will share the game with me so I can try it out.

This is the power of the Xbox One.
    While your suggestion seems like a likely manner of solving it, I think it would contradict the wording of "[y]ou can always play your games," along with the part that follows: "any one of your family members . . . at a given time." In my opinion, that is a semi-concrete statement that the primary licensee and one family member can always play. That WOULD make some sense, with the idea that this "always connected" experience would promote a more social gaming experience as well.
    06-12-2013 09:42 PM
    I think some of you are getting confused when they state "any one of your family members." That doesn't mean anyone like everyone from that special "family" list. It means any one of the ten can access the game, not all ten at the same time. Since you're the primary owner of the game...only you and one friend can access the game at the same time.
    06-12-2013 10:09 PM
    I'm not confused on that. However, the one thing that will need crystal-clear explanation before I buy into this is are YOU one of the 10? They say "one of your family," but are you included in that? They might mean that if you are playing, you are both the "always able to play" party, along with the "any one of your family" party. We'll see before too long.
    06-13-2013 12:25 AM
    I really hope it is you and another person being able to play. That would be really awesome. I like playing madden, but I don't buy it, but my old college roommate does. I'd love to be able to check it out through his shared library...and possibly play him too...
    06-13-2013 07:41 AM
    Hey guys

I just made an account so I could share some info about the family share I found on another forum.

https://twitter.com/xboxsupport2/sta...99493903421440

twitter-family-share.png

Microsoft is taking sharing to the next level lol ... they really need to market the hell out of this.

BTW credit goes to BigKabuto & Flynn_78 from TeamXbox.com
    Last edited by PhoenixSoul; 06-13-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    Mystictrust likes this.
    06-13-2013 07:17 PM
    Hey guys

I just made an account so I could share some info about the family share I found on another forum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Twitter Family Share.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	35664

Microsoft is taking sharing to the next level lol ... they really need to market the hell out of this.
    HOLY. FREAKING. %$#@!

They just made this 10x better... it was already awesome, but this just makes it 10x more awesome. This really does sound too good to be true. That's an official account, yes? *looks at the Twitter page more closely* YES IT IS! Woah. Now I can play multiplayer FIFA against my brother without purchasing the game myself. I never was going to buy it anyway, but I wanted to at least demo it.. so they're saying I can play at the same time as him? So we can play an online match together?!? Incredible! Well worth the 24 hour checks (haven't had loss of internet for more than 5 hours at a time anyway, twice in the last year that I know of). This is huge.

Microsoft sucks at marketing and PR though, not gonna lie. They're really good about quietly mentioning some feature quickly in an interview or wherever and not really mentioning it again. The blogs and gamers will have to take over on this one... but right now, everyone is a little anti-MS so this won't come out for a while IMO. They really do need to market this. Wow.

Just took a screenshot and saved the URL. We need to save this proof and spread the word when things die down a bit :) Sorry, I'm a bit too excited at the moment... wow...
    06-13-2013 07:34 PM
    Hey guys

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Twitter Family Share.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	35664

Aw my god it's still sounds far to good to be true, but what's still questionable is the first answer "The only limitation to the number of players that can access a game at the same time is how the game is designed." As there was no game example i have no idea what kind of game mechanics this would apply too, and if devs wanted they could design their games in such a way to make this feature not work?
    They need to make a another blog post just for this feature!
    06-13-2013 07:43 PM
    Aw my god it's still sounds far to good to be true, but what's still questionable is the first answer "The only limitation to the number of players that can access a game at the same time is how the game is designed." As there was no game example i have no idea what kind of game mechanics this would apply too, and if devs wanted they could design their games in such a way to make this feature not work?
    They need to make a another blog post just for this feature!
    That sounds to me like what Microsoft has been saying, that devs can control whether a game can be shared. Like EA games for example, they got rid of online pass. Instead, I could totally see them saying, "Okay, only one person at a time can play this game on the Xbox One", and then some different kind of DRM for the PS4 versions of their games (since, of course, we know that both MS & Sony will be respecting DRM from publishers/developers). Oh yeah, in the same vein of EA loving DRM, I imagine they would be the first publisher/developer to restrict the ability to gift a game once to somebody on your friends list. *sigh*

This family share thing seriously does need its own blog post though.
    06-13-2013 07:55 PM
    I sent a 'tip' in to Joystiq about that support page. I hopefully am not the only one that did... this feature needs to be talked about/investigated as thoroughly as possible because it sounds awesome...
    MastrMeatWad likes this.
    06-13-2013 08:19 PM
    I think the way they going to support this is that every family member will need a xbox live subscription. Microsoft then gives a cut of that to pubs/devs in return for them allowing people to share the game. Microsoft also said that they would have they own system for used games where publishers and devs get a cut from that as well.
    06-13-2013 08:25 PM
    I think the way they going to support this is that every family member will need a xbox live subscription. Microsoft then gives a cut of that to pubs/devs in return for them allowing people to share the game. Microsoft also said that they would have they own system for used games where publishers and devs get a cut from that as well.
    For the shared games, that is very much a possibility. I can see this becoming confusing very quickly though, because Microsoft has already announced that an entire family can have multiple profiles with their own unique gamertags, and can all play online, under one Gold subscription. On top of that, those gamertags can be used on other systems AFAIK (amazing for families, so little Jr. can go to his friend's house and play, and it would have been great for my ex-girlfriend and I since we each had separate Gold subscriptions for both of our gamertags yet we lived together).

If this IS the same system we are talking about, well... perhaps you can only play simultaneously if both are Gold, but anyone from your family can play your shared games. *sigh* We really, really need a page for this. I think I need to find as much info as I can on both of these topics, and read very thoroughly through everything.

A FAQ here on WPCentral, at least here in the forums, would be great
    06-13-2013 08:43 PM
    You need xbox live to access the shared list, well probably.. how else would they support the infrastructure? The game will download if you don't have it installed., from their servers.
    Xbox live gold is shared in households though, if it's a per console or multiple is not clear yet (probably per console)
    Also MS does not take a fee for trade-ins, but publishers/devs can demand a fee for trade-in or even block it, so there is no "cut" for Microsoft in used games sales.
    06-13-2013 08:49 PM
    Yeah ... I hope we do get some clarification on this soon.

Posted by Spasm on NeoGaf

zzg9hny.jpg

lol

UPDATE: some more comments were added

https://twitter.com/nowak911/status/345297685743534080

Nowak: Just for further clarification, that's 6 consoles, 6 different games played, all simultaneously?

Xbox Support 2: Correct. As long as they are part of the 10 family members.

JBPJohnny: What if a game is MP like CoD? 2 family members can play online MP at the same time?

Xbox Support 2: We can't speculate on the exact way that will work at the moment, unfortunately.
    Last edited by PhoenixSoul; 06-14-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    Mystictrust likes this.
    06-13-2013 09:48 PM
    See, it's not answering my main question there. I care more about whether or not simultaneous play is possible. Can multiple people in the family play a game together? Is there a restriction to 2 at a time? That's all I care about. If I can buy a game and play it anytime with one friend, cool. If I can play it with TEN friends at once, with only one purchase necessary, PHENOMENAL.
    06-13-2013 11:04 PM
    See, it's not answering my main question there. I care more about whether or not simultaneous play is possible. Can multiple people in the family play a game together? Is there a restriction to 2 at a time? That's all I care about. If I can buy a game and play it anytime with one friend, cool. If I can play it with TEN friends at once, with only one purchase necessary, PHENOMENAL.
    I think that is more answered by this response: "The only limitation to the number of players that can access a game at the same time is how the game is designed."

You also have the other response to the person who wanted more clarification: "You can play with other family members at the same time, yes"

I take it as, Microsoft is completely giving the option to developers. I would say, assume just two at a time and hope for more. I mean, I highly doubt something like Titanfall or Battlefield 4 would be able to be played online by ten people simultaneously on one game license.

Either way, that's about to lead into more questions for answers that need clarifying. Basically, Xbox Support is saying that the number of simultaneous players on one game is set by the developer. Well, likely the publisher, since they seem to set the rules and sell the game, and simply give the developers all the cash to make the game they want (with timeframe restrictions and such, and provided the developer has "sold" the publisher on their idea for a game)
    06-13-2013 11:43 PM
    I think that is more answered by this response: "The only limitation to the number of players that can access a game at the same time is how the game is designed."

You also have the other response to the person who wanted more clarification: "You can play with other family members at the same time, yes"

I take it as, Microsoft is completely giving the option to developers. I would say, assume just two at a time and hope for more. I mean, I highly doubt something like Titanfall or Battlefield 4 would be able to be played online by ten people simultaneously on one game license.

Either way, that's about to lead into more questions for answers that need clarifying. Basically, Xbox Support is saying that the number of simultaneous players on one game is set by the developer. Well, likely the publisher, since they seem to set the rules and sell the game, and simply give the developers all the cash to make the game they want (with timeframe restrictions and such, and provided the developer has "sold" the publisher on their idea for a game)
    The question was just posed as "Me+One More," so not sure how helpful the second quote is. It doesn't provide the context of being with one license, or a limit on number of simultaneous users. I'm wondering if it's a publisher restriction choice, a game-by-game thing decided by the publisher, or if Microsoft has a global policy (online multiplayer = X players, no online multiplayer = 1 player at a time, priority to the original licensee).

Obviously, if the ball is in the court of the publishers, that's not really a good thing. That would lend itself to the idea that Microsoft is putting the happiness of its users in the hands of the greedy folks at EA and Activision. What are the odds they'll let simultaneous play on Battlefield or Call of Duty AT ALL? I'm concerned Microsoft claims that publishers decide, so they can say "not our fault," if/when publishers refuse simultaneous access in most cases, if not all.
    06-14-2013 12:08 AM
    I see your point. I would like to know if there was a global policy. At the same time, maybe Microsoft would be able to say, "Hey look, if you really don't want multiple people on a friend's list to play your games, we can remove that entirely... but let's talk about how this could be a good thing for you..."

EA and Activision *are* greedy, and I'm not very fond of either of them (poor Blizzard). Your concern that Microsoft would claim "not our fault" if/when publishers restrict these things is completely valid... it will happen. Nearly guaranteed. On both PS4 and Xbox One. Both companies have been quick to shift their statements to put DRM in the court of the game publishers (I mean, obviously not counting Microsoft's own DRM setup, of course). I can even foresee Microsoft/Sony blaming a developer, and the developer coming back claiming they did no such thing. It's obvious that EA is trying to get a good name for itself again (Online Pass, and the massive PR about how they know they made a ton of mistakes), I don't doubt a blame game starting.

So, again, your concerns are valid. But the fact is that the capability is there... and for some reason, I just don't foresee any draconian DRM enforced by the publishers in the first few years of all this. They might just leave simultaneous play be... and maybe Microsoft will just say "sorry, can't play online in the same match simultaneously (or at all), but you can play independent of one another"
    06-14-2013 12:23 AM

The way I understand it is like this:

You purchase Halo. You're the primary owner of Halo.

Steve browses your library and plays Halo.

You want to play Halo, but Steve is playing. Yes, you can play Halo as well since you're the primary owner.

However, little Timmy wants to play Halo as well. No, Timmy can not play Halo because Steve is already in it.

Steve will need to stop playing Halo so Timmy can have access to it.

No matter if one of your "Family" members is playing a game, you will always be able to play the same game.

Is this clear enough for some of you?
    06-14-2013 09:22 AM
    Yeah, just something I want to watch develop before I get my hopes up on its potential. We'll see if publishers realize people speak with their wallets on rare occasions, or if people will make this one of those rare occasions. If I see Ubisoft and Epic and Microsoft allowing 10-person sharing and multi-access simultaneously, but Activision and EA won't allow it, I won't buy from them. I'd hope more people would take that stance and force their hands, but people are also too scared to miss out on Call of Duty 19 or Battlefield 11.
    Mystictrust likes this.
    06-14-2013 09:35 AM

The way I understand it is like this:

You purchase Halo. You're the primary owner of Halo.

Steve browses your library and plays Halo.

You want to play Halo, but Steve is playing. Yes, you can play Halo as well since you're the primary owner.

However, little Timmy wants to play Halo as well. No, Timmy can not play Halo because Steve is already in it.

Steve will need to stop playing Halo so Timmy can have access to it.

No matter if one of your "Family" members is playing a game, you will always be able to play the same game.

Is this clear enough for some of you?
    "The way I understand it," is the point at hand. I have no issue understanding what it MIGHT be, but I am simply asking for a concrete, Microsoft-provided policy announcement. I want to know 100% how things will work. If how you (and most) interpret it is true, that's good. However, I don't want "The way I understand it," to be needed in conversation about it.
    ncxcstud likes this.
    06-14-2013 09:37 AM
108 1234 ...