07-25-2013 05:24 PM
108 12345
tools
    Majornelson twitted, he will update his blog next week about this feature.
    Mystictrust likes this.
    06-14-2013 02:29 PM
    This feature makes any news about used games obsolete for me. So awesome.
    06-18-2013 10:49 AM
    You know, the question about whether or not how many people can play the game is kind of funny.

When you share a game on the PS4 with a friend by lending it to them - YOU DON'T GET TO PLAY THAT GAME WHILE THEY ARE PLAYING IT - Why? Because they have your disc.

If I understand all that has been said correctly (and that's a big if) - you as the content owner are - always allowed to play your games - no matter what. You and one other person can play the same game. That's how I've read that twitter feed - and I could totally be wrong.

Either way the XBOX One way - in my opinion - trumps the PS4 way. Especially as someone who lives far away from my video gaming friends. I don't have to mail or receive in the mail any games from my friends. I just instantly share it with them...

That's awesome.
    Reflexx likes this.
    06-18-2013 11:55 AM
    The question was just posed as "Me+One More," so not sure how helpful the second quote is. It doesn't provide the context of being with one license, or a limit on number of simultaneous users. I'm wondering if it's a publisher restriction choice, a game-by-game thing decided by the publisher, or if Microsoft has a global policy (online multiplayer = X players, no online multiplayer = 1 player at a time, priority to the original licensee).

Obviously, if the ball is in the court of the publishers, that's not really a good thing. That would lend itself to the idea that Microsoft is putting the happiness of its users in the hands of the greedy folks at EA and Activision. What are the odds they'll let simultaneous play on Battlefield or Call of Duty AT ALL? I'm concerned Microsoft claims that publishers decide, so they can say "not our fault," if/when publishers refuse simultaneous access in most cases, if not all.
    I don't think it's greedy at all if they don't want 10 people playing simultaneously on one game license. It's actually pretty generous if they let more than one person play.

It's actually greedy to pay for one and expect more. Sure, it's nice. But to expect it (and deem them greedy if they don't do it) is pretty silly and greedy in itself.
    06-18-2013 03:38 PM
    I think it can be so great. Maybe u can play with friends on one xbox at the same time. But 10 different xboxes and 10 players ? quite strange because 10 people could buy only one copy and have fun. Developers won't earn enough money :P Anyway, I think this feature will work good enough to make xbox better then ps4 and shut xbox haters mouth
    06-18-2013 04:02 PM
    I don't think more than 2 people will be able to play off the same copy of a game, and I would even go to as far as saying no game can have more than 1 person accessing it at a time. However this still trumps any other way of sharing/lending games. This is an awesome feature, can't wait for MS to decide to market it :P
    06-18-2013 08:45 PM
    I think it can be so great. Maybe u can play with friends on one xbox at the same time. But 10 different xboxes and 10 players ? quite strange because 10 people could buy only one copy and have fun. Developers won't earn enough money :P Anyway, I think this feature will work good enough to make xbox better then ps4 and shut xbox haters mouth
    Exactly, it's not about sharing the same game at the same time. Publishers would rebel against that.
    06-19-2013 12:12 AM
    06-19-2013 10:49 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oneshare.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	364.2 KB 
ID:	35996
    lol I love this, but PS followers will swing it saying that in the Playstation model, more people end up purchasing the game, so it makes more money, and publishers/developers like the console better because more copies of their games are being sold and blah blah blah....
    06-19-2013 11:08 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oneshare.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	364.2 KB 
ID:	35996
    I doubt it will be as simple as choosing any 10 friends.

Like the Family Plan that already exists, you'll likely have to have one Parent account and then several child accounts. The parent account would be the financially responsible account. So your friends better be people you really trust.
    Last edited by Winning Guy; 06-19-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    06-19-2013 11:53 AM
    I doubt it will be as simple as choosing amy 10 friends.

Like the Family Plan that already exists, you'll likely have to have one Parent account and then several child accounts. The parent account would be the financially responsible account. So your friends better be people you really trust.
    A friend of mine is also very skeptical, but now seeing as how Steam looks to be adopting this type of system, I can see them simply allowing 10 people to partake in this type of system. It's understandable that we are all skeptical of it, but I think it will pan out very nicely for all of us getting X1s
    06-19-2013 12:21 PM
    I doubt it will be as simple as choosing amy 10 friends.

The family game share is not comparable to the old Gold family plan as it has nothing to do with Gold account sharing. That is a separate issue to which the new solution is now only one Gold needed at one household (don't need family plan).
    06-19-2013 02:01 PM
    Well, I think the best way to describe how this works now is: It doesn't. It could still work in this revised system, but Microsoft elected against making that happen, so here we are.
    06-19-2013 08:36 PM
    Well, I think the best way to describe how this works now is: It doesn't. It could still work in this revised system, but Microsoft elected against making that happen, so here we are.
    They said no family share at launch with the new policy so that does sound like they are at least considering how to implement it. I expect it will be made available for digital copies only in the future as a way to entice users to make the switch. If that is confirmed by launch time as coming then I will definitely go download rather than disk (may download anyway as I very seldom sell any games and don't want to have to change disks).
    06-19-2013 08:42 PM
    They said no family share at launch with the new policy so that does sound like they are at least considering how to implement it. I expect it will be made available for digital copies only in the future as a way to entice users to make the switch. If that is confirmed by launch time as coming then I will definitely go download rather than disk (may download anyway as I very seldom sell any games and don't want to have to change disks).
    I don't want that to be the solution. My Internet connection simply isn't fast enough to handle an all-digital solution, but I'd still like to take steps to make use of it.
    06-19-2013 10:01 PM
    You can't always get what you want. If your internet connection isn't good enough, then you won't be able to participate. Same thing with multiplayer. Should they figure out a way you can play multiplayer with people from around the world without a good internet connection?
    06-19-2013 10:33 PM
    You can't always get what you want. If your internet connection isn't good enough, then you won't be able to participate. Same thing with multiplayer. Should they figure out a way you can play multiplayer with people from around the world without a good internet connection?
    Thank you. I was so unsure of whether or not I could without your stating the blatantly-obvious. As I mentioned in another thread, these are the worst kinds of posts, and they drive me crazy.
    06-19-2013 10:38 PM
    Ditto, bud. ;)
    06-20-2013 08:04 AM
    Here's apparently another MS "engineer" speaking about how Family Share would have worked.

Heartbroken Xbox One employee lets rip. | HeyUGuys GamingHeyUGuys Gaming

"First is family sharing, this feature is near and dear to me and I truly felt it would have helped the industry grow and make both gamers and developers happy. The premise is simple and elegant, when you buy your games for Xbox One, you can set any of them to be part of your shared library. Anyone who you deem to be family had access to these games regardless of where they are in the world. There was never any catch to that, they didnt have to share the same billing address or physical address it could be anyone. When your family member accesses any of your games, theyre placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game."
    So according to him, it was "demo" based only.
    06-20-2013 01:53 PM
    But, not a demo the way we experience them now. Today, demo means only a limited portion - and only that portion - Even in that post he talked about that people would be able to finish the whole game since it saves your position. Albeit, you just have a window of opportunity to play.

Would that restriction be annoying? Of course, but they'd have to put something in place to encourage people to buy the game.

Not as 'awesome' as we hoped it would be, but even then it didn't make financial sense to the industry to share an entire game with people with no incentive to purchase the game you're enjoying for free...
    06-20-2013 02:13 PM
    I'm just pointing this out, because people were touting Family Share to be some feature where you could share entire games. Needless to say, if what this guy says is true, there is some restriction. So for the people here who were like, "Oh, my friend from another state or out of country can play my games" well not exactly.
    06-20-2013 02:56 PM
    I'm just pointing this out, because people were touting Family Share to be some feature where you could share entire games. Needless to say, if what this guy says is true, there is some restriction. So for the people here who were like, "Oh, my friend from another state or out of country can play my games" well not exactly.
    Well, still the 'whole game' but apparently with a nag screen and timed parameters. He didn't say you could only play for an hour, but that you could only play for an hour at a time...

Which does make sense. So, not nearly as 'awesome' as we had hoped. But, if we look back it seemed kind of crazy to think they'd be able to play the entire game with no restrictions - unless microsoft was going to give a cut of the XBL proceeds to the pubs/devs.
    06-20-2013 03:06 PM
    I like how he said there's "no catch", but there was a catch.

But I can see why it's set up that way.

The idea is to encourage people to buy the product. The best way to get them interested is by letting them play it. I imagine the amount of time allowed would be up to developers. And it would be different for single player and multiplayer.

If I was making it for multiplayer, I'd let people play for hour a day, every day. I'm sure a certain percentage of those people would decide that they liked the game enough to buy their own copy.

Also, it would be cool if a "family member" bought the game, it would be discounted another $10 or something.

I suppose it's still worth talking about because you never know if they'll bring this back for digital games.
    06-20-2013 03:37 PM
    I like how he said there's "no catch", but there was a catch.
    I seriously just like 30 seconds ago thought about the same thing, but then I realized that there might not have really been one. I feel the "there is no catch" specifically referred to who you can add as family, it's mentioned in the same sentence there. There was no catch to adding someone as a family member, 10 people whoever you choose, no strings attached such as billing address etc other than that these people are in a "family".

But yes, if we think about "no catch" in general, yes, there sort of was one. I'm pretty sure NOWHERE have they mentioned before this that the family share would've been "demo-like" limited in time you can play. They didn't exactly lie to us about it ever, they just left out part of the truth.

But I still think the catch-part referred to adding people as family members, rather than there being no catch at all in the family share-thing.
    06-20-2013 03:40 PM
    If that is how the sharing feature worked, then I am not concerned at all that it is gone. I personally think that most would just ask the owner if the game was worth getting and read a review or two. They wouldn't LIKELY use that demo to actually evaluate a purchase, but that's my opinion. I get why it would exist in that format and all, but in that format, I can't say it's a feature I'd care about, let alone one worth taking that check-in over.
    06-20-2013 04:59 PM
108 12345