06-20-2013 10:21 AM
38 12
tools
    Time to get this forum back on track. Just had a tweet back from Xbox support telling me the Xbox will only work in the region of purchase.
    Not good news for me I have been shifting country's every 2 years and the Australian 360 has work flawless. I know I could set up a VPN account to circumvent this but that's just more expense.
    Last edited by camptime; 06-15-2013 at 07:27 AM.
    06-14-2013 09:09 PM
    It seems that Microsoft REALLY has something against those in the military or something. I mean, what the hell are they trying to accomplish with this region-locking mess?
    06-14-2013 11:29 PM
    I have a feeling they will reverse a lot of decisions before it actually ships. Either that or they have something in place for people who work abroad.
    06-15-2013 12:30 PM
    I got a reply from Xbox support, but they don't have any answers either:

Me:I'm about to pre-order XB1 in the US but I want to confirm if I take my XB with me to Japan would the games still work?

Xbox Support 2
    "We do not have specifics on that at the moment, regarding non Live-supported regions. ^LB"
    06-17-2013 04:22 AM
    I got a reply from Xbox support, but they don't have any answers either:

Me:I'm about to pre-order XB1 in the US but I want to confirm if I take my XB with me to Japan would the games still work?

Xbox Support 2
    "We do not have specifics on that at the moment, regarding non Live-supported regions. ^LB"
    Asked the same question except Australian XB1 to Thailand.
    Reply was: you will need the console from the country you reside. So looks like region restriction are going to be part of XB1.

I am trying to decide if I want to set up a VPN account to Australia or cancel my XB1 order good thing is I have plenty of time to decide.
    06-17-2013 08:15 AM
    That response actually doesn't make much sense. "You will need the console from the country you reside?" Does that apply to temporary residence, like a vacation, or simply the permanent residence listed on your Xbox LIVE account? I don't see how the console could be so stupid as to not be able to handle having an Australian citizen playing the console he bought in his country (Australia) in another country (Thailand) while on vacation.
    06-17-2013 05:28 PM
    That response actually doesn't make much sense. "You will need the console from the country you reside?" Does that apply to temporary residence, like a vacation, or simply the permanent residence listed on your Xbox LIVE account? I don't see how the console could be so stupid as to not be able to handle having an Australian citizen playing the console he bought in his country (Australia) in another country (Thailand) while on vacation.
    Have a feeling they are not to sure how this is going to be handled so are suggesting you should purchase from the country you are living.

If Thailand was listed for 2014 I would wait but there is not mention of a console coming here any time soon.
    06-18-2013 01:02 AM
    The cost of shipping something like the xboxOne to Europe is negligible, other countries get screwed because companies have traditionally done it so why stop now. I really don't get fanboys, apple OR MS. It seems like MS could specify the xboxOne requires an anal probe to be inserted and there would still be people trying to justify it.
    06-18-2013 01:12 AM
    So Xbox One won't have any regional restrictions now after the policy changes:

"In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions."

Your Feedback Matters

Good news I guess for people who travel or moving to other countries.
    06-19-2013 09:44 PM
    Non-issue anymore.
    06-19-2013 11:21 PM
    remember me? i'm from Colombia and this day was a good day for me, now i can preorder my xbox one without worries....but i will miss the family share feature, playing without a disc and some others cool things that xbox one offered
    06-20-2013 01:14 AM
    remember me? i'm from Colombia and this day was a good day for me, now i can preorder my xbox one without worries....but i will miss the family share feature, playing without a disc and some others cool things that xbox one offered

Games should be all fine now. But if you watch blurays or even dvds, there might be an issue with region codes. This is a small issue for me, maybe I'll need to find region free blurays.
    06-20-2013 06:03 AM
    Region locking + 24-hour check-in was overkill. The 24-hour check-in should have been enough.
    06-20-2013 10:21 AM
38 12