Xbox one controller and AA batteries

pattyandchips

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have read in multiple places that the controller uses AA batteries does this mean it is the same as Xbox 360? i.e. constantly replacing them or is it like the PS3's controller.

Thanks

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That's a negative outlook on it, mainly because you never had to "constantly replace them" if you bought a play-n-charge kit. You've always had the option, with a wireless controller, to use either AA batteries or the Xbox rechargeable batteries and a play-n-charge plug for it.

Either way, to answer your question, it is the same set up, where you have AA batteries and will be able to plug it in and charge as well. You have the option to pick your preference :)

pattyandchips

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The kit was an extra cost though lol.

Confused.. With One will you be able to just plug in in with a USB and never bother with the batteries for FREE or will you have to buy a charge kit?

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
That's a negative outlook on it, mainly because you never had to "constantly replace them" if you bought a play-n-charge kit. You've always had the option, with a wireless controller, to use either AA batteries or the Xbox rechargeable batteries and a play-n-charge plug for it.

Either way, to answer your question, it is the same set up, where you have AA batteries and will be able to plug it in and charge as well. You have the option to pick your preference :)
The play and charge kit was a joke. I've been through three play and charge kits and they all are the same. They work for a couple weeks then they wont take a charge.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The play and charge kit was a joke. I've been through three play and charge kits and they all are the same. They work for a couple weeks then they wont take a charge.
Do you mean the batteries themselves or the actual charger? The batteries were notorious at not lasting for very long... I got maybe a good 6 months before the batteries stopped holding charge beyond 15 minutes. I understand some people got 3 months, some people got a year... and I guess you got much shorter than that (if you literally got two weeks, I would think you'd be able to return them as defective). There were replacement batteries online for $10 or less, but I didn't bother with them. I just used AAs after my kit died. I always have batteries around anyway, so in my situation it was okay.

My brother has one of those charging stations with three xbox rechargeable batteries, and he swapped them out all the time. I have no idea how long it took every battery to die, but he always has had a battery ready to go.

I'm confident they will have definitely improved this for Xbox One.
The kit was an extra cost though lol.

Confused.. With One will you be able to just plug in in with a USB and never bother with the batteries for FREE or will you have to buy a charge kit?
I imagine it is not shipping with a cord - there is no indication. Actually, live right now on Xbox (well, a few minutes ago) was the accessories guy for the Xbox One and he was discussing the cable to connect the controller to the console. This was positioned to be a completely separate accessory available for purchase, so it seems like it will cost you extra. What I did find interesting though is that they were saying you can plug the cable in to the console and it essentially transforms your controller into a wired controller, not dependent on charging a battery or anything. I want to see more how that will work, personally.

Still, overall answer to your question: It will take AA batteries unless you pay for the cable, as far as I am aware.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Its been a while sense I have used them but I can remember using my first play and charge kit for a good amount of time. After a while the red light on the charge cable wouldn't come on and charge the battery. The life of each charge was shorter as well, probably around the 15 minuets you experienced. I bought two more play and charge kits and they had an even shorter life span. I believe the batteries died on the first kit, and the cable failed on the last two. I gave up on the play and charge kit and purchased a set of rechargeable AA batteries. =)

Courtney S

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean the batteries themselves or the actual charger? The batteries were notorious at not lasting for very long... I got maybe a good 6 months before the batteries stopped holding charge beyond 15 minutes. I understand some people got 3 months, some people got a year... and I guess you got much shorter than that (if you literally got two weeks, I would think you'd be able to return them as defective). There were replacement batteries online for $10 or less, but I didn't bother with them. I just used AAs after my kit died. I always have batteries around anyway, so in my situation it was okay.

My brother has one of those charging stations with three xbox rechargeable batteries, and he swapped them out all the time. I have no idea how long it took every battery to die, but he always has had a battery ready to go.

I'm confident they will have definitely improved this for Xbox One.
I imagine it is not shipping with a cord - there is no indication. Actually, live right now on Xbox (well, a few minutes ago) was the accessories guy for the Xbox One and he was discussing the cable to connect the controller to the console. This was positioned to be a completely separate accessory available for purchase, so it seems like it will cost you extra. What I did find interesting though is that they were saying you can plug the cable in to the console and it essentially transforms your controller into a wired controller, not dependent on charging a battery or anything. I want to see more how that will work, personally.

Still, overall answer to your question: It will take AA batteries unless you pay for the cable, as far as I am aware.

I've had the same play and charge kit for four years. The thing about these is the batteries forget what their maximum charge is. So the light will go green and stop charging before it is fully charged. At this point, just unplug the charge cable, and plug it back in. The light should turn red again. Repeat this a few times, and eventually the light will stay red, and charge until full.

Most people don't realize that rechargeable batteries have a memory like this, and you have to reset it once in a while.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers