Using HDMI pass-through to play Xbox 360 via Xbox One

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
How about using the HDMI pass-through to play PS4 via Xbox One?

Awww SNAP...literally, I would snap PS4 games on one side and Xbox One on the other.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It's still a really dumb matter though, in my opinion. It would only be a meaningful thing if disc-swapping wasn't necessary on the 360. It seems like it would be more of a goofy gimmick than anything.
I have a lot of digital-only arcade games on my 360, as well as a few full retail games I purchased when they dropped prices to $5-15 via awesome sales. Then, I'll be taking advantage of the two free games for Gold members every month for the rest of this year. You don't necessarily have to disc-swap :)

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
How about using the HDMI pass-through to play PS4 via Xbox One?

Awww SNAP...literally, I would snap PS4 games on one side and Xbox One on the other.
You just blew a Sony Executive's mind

Edit: Haha. After listening to Major Nelson's video linked in my post below, there could be the possibility for this, haha. But obviously you'd for sure need two separate controllers. This would allow you to Skype with someone while playing Killzone or inFamous or something :p

Last edited:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Just to update specifically for the topic of this thread, Xbox Live's Major Nelson has confirmed that you will be able to play your Xbox 360 games using the Xbox One interface using precisely this method. http://forums.windowscentral.com/xbox-one/230481-major-nelson-video-interview-xbox-one.html

Now we just need the specifics, but we probably won't get that until launch. Still, exciting! Closest to backwards compatibility that we're going to get. This really should be marketed as an option, but I'm not sure if they really would market it at all, since they're more interested in the future of TV via Xbox One, rather than their "last generation" console :p

Last edited:

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
especially since the PS4 won't get their 'backwards compatibility' until sometime in 2014, and even then its a streaming option through Gaikai. Which may mean that people will have to 'rebuy' their games to stream them. Who knows...

Though, it seems silly to have this ability when they want the XBOX One to take over your TV stuff too. Only allowed to plug in one or the other at one time?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This might be a silly question, but I feel as if I should ask anyway: Do we know that every One will come with an HDMI cable? I imagine so, but is there even an OPTION of cabling that isn't HDMI on this console? I didn't see the picture of the ports.

Also, I like the idea of using the pass-through as a means of viewing TV the most. I wonder if this will work with ALL PC functions as well. I'd love it if I could be playing music through my PC on the One (depending on the streaming options it offers) while playing a game. That, or I'd like the ability to use the Snap feature to put my PC next to my game, so I can use my PC's keyboard to chat via IM with someone I want to talk to who doesn't play on Xbox.

Oh, and I'd like to see them allow for a resizing of the Snap windows. I can think of occasions where I'd like a 50-50 split of screen space, like Windows 7 and 8 allow.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
http://www.gameblog.fr/images/jeux/0/xbox_one_hd_4.jpg

We don't know if it will come with an HDMI cable. I imagine it will come with one of them, since component is no longer an option, and they have always included at least some method to connect the console to your TV. If they do include an HDMI cable, they will only be including ONE HDMI cable though for the "HDMI OUT" port. The subprint on text at Amazon clearly states that to use the HDMI pass-through you need some compatible tuner box with HDMI port and an HDMI cable... so you'll need a separate one for the input. Unfortunately, this will be marketed heavily by retailers who sell overpriced HDMI cables. All HDMI cables are the same - go buy an inexpensive one at monoprice.com. I color code my cables so I love that site.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, 2 more questions, then:

1. What do they mean "compatible tuner box?" Does that mean we need some accessory to be able to use the pass-through capability? If it's some expensive adapter thing, screw the whole process, haha. I already have 3 or 4 HDMI cables though, and I got them for a total of $5, I think.

2. Those aren't the ONLY USB ports, are they? First off, I don't like that they are black, because USB 3.0 is supposed to be blue I know, uniformity across the console, but I still prefer the uniformity over the USB standard. More-importantly, are we not getting some frontal USB ports as well? I'd be disappointed if we did not. I' made use of 3+ ports on occasions in the past. For example, I've used my Turtle Beach headset in one port, my Play & Charge in another (I typically keep that plugged in at all times, actually), and my Zune (for music) in a third port. I'd hope that they do not limit us to just 2 ports, because that would be a minor downer (not something I'd be too upset with, though, as either streaming music, playing it through my phone, or plugging the USB cable to my headset into my PC could alleviate that).

Oh, and thanks for that link. I'm going to bookmark it for future cabling. I might steal that color-coding idea of yours, so I can at least know WHICH cable I've lost, haha.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
"Supported television tuner or cable/satellite set top box with HDMI output and HDMI cable required"

Not all devices are made equal, and a Comcast-provided cable box might work just fine, but a box from Cox Communications might not work. I think this line is here to cover their own butts, though. Some set top boxes might not have HDMI output, therefore they wouldn't be supported or compatible. Others might have some kind of built-in restriction that would somehow make it so the device could only output video to a TV and not any other connected device (i.e. set top box DRM, if it exists, that would ensure people couldn't pirate recorded DVR shows).

Oh, and more specifically, a "tuner box" is going to be the same thing as a "television tuner" and those exist. I have an HD digital flat antenna box for OTA broadcast, I think that is a TV tuner, but it doesn't have HDMI output (only coax) so it's not supported.

There are three USB ports - perfect for your usage. Provided there aren't any hidden anywhere else. Here's the one on the side: http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2013/05/20130514-XBOX-ONE-014-660x440.jpg I'll probably be plugging in my external hard drive there if I need more space.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Odd placement for that third port, but can't say it really affects me that it's there. I have an external HDD as well, and would do the same. I still hate that they don't AT LEAST take the Sony route in HDD swapping. I guess that could lead the hypothetical need for a fourth port for me (forgot about the possible need of an external HDD, since I never use it now), but I'd expect that to be extremely rare, as I'd keep the rarely-played games on it. Did they ever make mention of removing that silly 16GB restriction from external devices? I'd be annoyed if I could only use 16 GB of my external HDD (it's 500 GB) and one game was that big.

But yeah, I get what you mean with covering their butts and compatibility issues. I had just imagined it'd to a straight stream if something wasn't supported, and add the overlay UI if it did. I'd make use of the pass-through for playing games, but I don't know that I'd find it worth it to buy a second device, if it was necessary.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Did they ever make mention of removing that silly 16GB restriction from external devices? I'd be annoyed if I could only use 16 GB of my external HDD (it's 500 GB) and one game was that big.
In November 2012, they bumped the max file size from 16GB to 32GB (Source). At the same time, that was officially pitched as just storing more game content and profile stuff on USB sticks. I would IMAGINE that they would either remove the restriction entirely, or cap it at some high number like a terabyte or two. It really would make sense, wouldn't it? Now they're requiring us to install everything from disc, and they want us to digitally download as much as we can. The point of USB storage is no longer to transport profiles and DLC around to other consoles - they obviously overhauled the system for the better now anyway (No recovering of gamertags, just keep the profile on as many consoles as you want, but only one logged in at a time).

It would be idiotic if they left it at something low like 64 or 128GB. I would be fairly vocal in my displeasure if that were the case.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You said they altered the gamertag system. Is that such a good idea? What if I accidentally leave my console running at home, and I want to sign-in at someone else's house? What if I have my profile at someone else's house, I'm on at my house, and he tries to sign-in to my account (be it accidentally, maliciously, or just to mess with me)? Will it kick the first sign-in off, completely deny the second, or (what I would assume) require password verification?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You said they altered the gamertag system. Is that such a good idea? What if I accidentally leave my console running at home, and I want to sign-in at someone else's house? What if I have my profile at someone else's house, I'm on at my house, and he tries to sign-in to my account (be it accidentally, maliciously, or just to mess with me)? Will it kick the first sign-in off, completely deny the second, or (what I would assume) require password verification?
Sorry, I now realize what I said was confusing.

In the Fall 2011 Xbox 360 update, they overhauled the gamertag recovery system. It works a helluva lot better than it used to. I'll explain how it works, as I've used it plenty of times.

You can have your gamertag "recovered" on an unlimited number of consoles now, all at the same time, without invalidating any of the others. If you leave your console running at home and go to sign-in somewhere else (whether you need to recover it, or your gamertag was previously recovered there) then there is no problem. Just pick up and play. It will sign you out on your home console. At any time, from any console (and xbox.com), you can choose to "lock" the gamertags recovered on every other console with your account password.

I went to Canada and recovered my gamertag on my cousin's console. I was unaware of how the new system worked in regards to multiple sign ins. I had told my roommate back in the US that she could use my Xbox to watch movies on my Netflix account or via DVD or whatever while I was gone. In the middle of a game in Canada, I get the "Your gamertag has been signed in on another console" pop up (looks like an achievement notification) and was signed out of Live. I hit the guide button and signed back in. Then it did it again, 5 minutes later. This back and forth went on for awhile, until I figured it out and called my roommate, who was confused and figured she wasn't doing things right since it kept signing her out of Netflix. I think she was constantly powering on and off my system at home, since she has no idea how to re-connect. This is when I discovered the option to require a password on all other consoles (alternate option: all consoles, including the one you're on now). You do have the option to never use it, and keep everything password free. When you recover your gamertag, it will ask if you want to password protect it anyway, but even if you forget to do so - you have remote options.

When I left Canada, I used that option to basically "nuke" my gamertag from my friend's system. I forgot to delete it before I left, but if it requires a password, he won't even be able to accidentally sign in - and I'm sure he's deleted it by now anyway.

And that's how it works on the 360 right now. True story.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I see. That would have been an annoying series of events. I actually just set up the deal on my profile (was signing into my console for the first time in a few days, and I had signed in at my sister's a couple of times since then). I'm iffy on the password-locking, because I know I prefer the security, but I HATE typing on my controller, haha.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I actually avoid doing so by using the Games hub on my Windows Phone. The only time I need to do much typing is when I am sending messages, and I just send them from my 920, in those instances. I will probably use my current keyboard (a generic Logitech one I grabbed for $15 when my Sidewinder broke) in a similar fashion when I finally get a new, permanent keyboard.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
about the gamertag recovery - does it still take freaking forever to download your gamertag onto another system? I remember doing it once on a friends 360 and it took FOREVER for us to have that on his 360 so we could play some co-op on Live....

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
about the gamertag recovery - does it still take freaking forever to download your gamertag onto another system? I remember doing it once on a friends 360 and it took FOREVER for us to have that on his 360 so we could play some co-op on Live....

The latest system dashboard addressed this a lot. You still need to download the profile, but it's more seamless like a computer. It's not even called "recovering" anymore. It's now treated as if you are simply signing into your account like it was downloaded on the console previously.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss