Do you care which console "wins"?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably in a somewhat unique position, as I couldn't care less about either console directly. I don't enjoy console gaming. However, I do care about WP, and I'm convinced that a popular and successful (or better yet, dominant) XBO has the potential to drive WP to more market share as well. WP8 desperately needs more market share, so I'm in favour of anything that furthers that goal. For that reason alone, I voted in favour of the XBO becoming the sales leader.

Go XBO!!!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes I want the XBox One to win because to me it represents innovation, while the PS4 represents stagnation and pandering.

I don't think the PS4 represents pandering. Though I can see why you think that if you watched the E3 conference. The conference itself was full of pandering for the purpose of marketing.

But it's good that the PS4 is what it is. It represents a good alternative for people who aren't quite ready to fully jump into next-gen content delivery and control methods. The PS4 will ease them into it. They'll miss out on some coolness though.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I support MS more than any other "Brand", but would love to see another close console race like last gen. I remember the horror and depression after ps2 murdered my dear Dreamcast in its infancy, and swore to never buy another Sony product (which I still haven't, but not for that silly reason.. I was 16 at the time). I never want to see a company left to rot like poor SEGA again, so please lets not have another "winner". Best of luck to MS and Sony, may you both constantly fight for my hard earned money.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I support MS more than any other "Brand", but would love to see another close console race like last gen. I remember the horror and depression after ps2 murdered my dear Dreamcast in its infancy, and swore to never buy another Sony product (which I still haven't, but not for that silly reason.. I was 16 at the time). I never want to see a company left to rot like poor SEGA again, so please lets not have another "winner". Best of luck to MS and Sony, may you both constantly fight for my hard earned money.

I agree with you on that Microsoft is the only tech brand that I kind-of have loyalty to, from a gaming standpoint. I also agree that a close race can be beneficial to the industry. however, I'll say that it can be beneficial to lose a competitor as well. I've wanted Nintendo to give up the console race for years now. I hate seeing their games wasted on inferior hardware and miss out on key features. It'd be great if Nintendo went the way of SEGA (from a home console standpoint--I support keeping the handhelds around), and we saw games like Super Mario Bros. Super Smash Bros. Pok?mon, Mario Kart, and Mario Party make it to the competing consoles (PlayStation and Xbox), along with their superior online services (PSN and Xbox LIVE, respectively). The Wii U has been a sales disaster, and that sucks. I think Nintendo would do well if they switched to publishing and developing games for the PS4 and Xbox One, but that's just me. Pok?mon finally getting a Nintendo-made MMO on Xbox LIVE and PSN would be amazing. Mario Kart as the arcade racer to complement Forza and Gran Turismo would be stellar for all parties.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I have an interesting look at these sorts of things sometimes. I kind of like it when people are proven wrong... not the "I'm always right, haha, you suck" stuff, but more of the "You argued and debated until you were blue in the face... and convinced everyone else that they didn't want something simply because you didn't like it or agree with it. And you twisted things around to make it look worse than it is really was" kind of thing. Not always that drastic, you know, it can simply be because someone changed their mind when they used to be extremely vocal in opposition. I will jump for joy and take myself out to a fancy dinner if I ever hear of Keith Wallace playing a game with Kinect or using Kinect for media functionality :cool:

So I guess my answer is that I want both consoles to succeed, and for each to have their own unique edge in whatever way they have. I just would also like something big enough to happen for the Sony ****** haters to kind of stop in their tracks. Maybe stop and think that there are people who like it and are able to use it and make it work for them without any problems. Realize that each system truly has its own unique benefits.

Still, I don't want Microsoft to all out dominate. Nor do I want Sony to all out dominate. The console wars get vicious, and I really don't wanna get insulted by people and lambasted for having an Xbox One. I want it to surprise all the naysayers who said it would never succeed, and I really hope Microsoft can continue to push their vision forward and actually turn the negative perception around (with many gamers) about the Kinect. It could lead to different ways of gaming, beyond the Kinect, on any system. I hope digital downloads of retail games on launch day go big, and it would be nice if prices started dropping because of it. We need competition. It would be a weird world for consoles if Microsoft hadn't stepped in, and maybe Sony would have slacked off. It's just like how Microsoft slacked off with Windows Mobile and then everybody stepped in and showed them that little league season was over.

Oh and Keith... the only thing I think of Sega when it comes to only doing games... is how they just kept trying to make reboot after reboot and remake of Sonic, their pride and joy, to try to win back everyone's hearts. It didn't really work. I imagine Nintendo would do the same thing with all the Mario stuff.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I will jump for joy and take myself out to a fancy dinner if I ever hear of Keith Wallace playing a game with Kinect or using Kinect for media functionality :cool:

Oh and Keith... the only thing I think of Sega when it comes to only doing games... is how they just kept trying to make reboot after reboot and remake of Sonic, their pride and joy, to try to win back everyone's hearts. It didn't really work. I imagine Nintendo would do the same thing with all the Mario stuff.

Man, you have to stop acting that way. It's not something where I am against the Kinect. It's that I don't want it pushed on buyers without having its worth proven. I might use it someday, I'm not saying I won't. I just don't like the steps Microsoft is taking to thrust the technology to the forefront before we even know it's any good. If I ever get an Xbox One, I'll certainly test it out, just to see what it's capable of. I don't dislike the motion-tracking technology. I might play some games on it. However, especially with the ability to fast-resume controllers, I don't care for the voice controls. Talking to the console just feels awkward. The example of calling for archers in RYSE sounds cool, but saying "snap Skype," does not. I know that's not what the thread is about, but I thought I'd clarify with that.

Oh, and I know about Sega's reboots and this and that. The first Sonic the Hedgehog on the 360 was terrible. I played it for a bit and got over it quickly. I don't think the same thing would happen with Nintendo, because they are not in the position of having pissed away goodwill and stuck to basically one first-party game/character forever. Nintendo is more than JUST Mario (though he's the face of the brand). They've got the Metroid, Zelda, Pok?mon, and Donkey Kong franchises, among other stuff. They're also entrenched enough to lessen the risk of flops like Sega did, when they elected to go the software route after failing spectacularly and fading into obscurity. The only way I see Nintendo going THAT Sega route is if they stay in this too long and make everyone dislike their brand.

WalkthroughsSource

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
No. Simply because its my decision not other ;) In Poland people still complain about XOne but I think they launch PS4 and it will be very low quality or they will launch drms and other stuff too ;)

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
All this back and forth becomes "gamers" is so stupid. First off most will own both system eventually and just like last generation both will sell equal amount of systems. I do believe that X1 is more geared for the long term though. Just like PS3 was last generation.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you on that Microsoft is the only tech brand that I kind-of have loyalty to, from a gaming standpoint. I also agree that a close race can be beneficial to the industry. however, I'll say that it can be beneficial to lose a competitor as well. I've wanted Nintendo to give up the console race for years now. I hate seeing their games wasted on inferior hardware and miss out on key features. It'd be great if Nintendo went the way of SEGA (from a home console standpoint--I support keeping the handhelds around), and we saw games like Super Mario Bros. Super Smash Bros. Pok?mon, Mario Kart, and Mario Party make it to the competing consoles (PlayStation and Xbox), along with their superior online services (PSN and Xbox LIVE, respectively). The Wii U has been a sales disaster, and that sucks. I think Nintendo would do well if they switched to publishing and developing games for the PS4 and Xbox One, but that's just me. Pok?mon finally getting a Nintendo-made MMO on Xbox LIVE and PSN would be amazing. Mario Kart as the arcade racer to complement Forza and Gran Turismo would be stellar for all parties.

A part of me would die inside if Nintendo ever went that route. The Wii U isn't a bad system. Nintendo just didn't have its ducks in a row like it should have been.

If home consoles aren't their future, I much rather they call it a day or stick to the DS line (or whatever its future equivalent is). I feel like a lot of the charm of those games would go missing going multiplatform.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
A part of me would die inside if Nintendo ever went that route. The Wii U isn't a bad system. Nintendo just didn't have its ducks in a row like it should have been.

If home consoles aren't their future, I much rather they call it a day or stick to the DS line (or whatever its future equivalent is). I feel like a lot of the charm of those games would go missing going multiplatform.

Microsoft has Xbox LIVE humming at launch in 2002, basically. In 2013, Nintendo STILL lacks a quality online experience. The hardware is underpowered by a HUGE margin. The tablet thing is too different for many, in my opinion (and the opinion of the sales figures). There's just nothing other than software that Nintendo does well on the home console front. Does the Wii U even have a Blu-Ray player?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
All this back and forth becomes "gamers" is so stupid. First off most will own both system eventually and just like last generation both will sell equal amount of systems. I do believe that X1 is more geared for the long term though. Just like PS3 was last generation.

I would like to greatly disagree that "most will own both system eventually," considering the fact that I know several people with one console (all being Xbox 360), and 0 owning both.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes