06-17-2013 08:12 PM
110 12345
tools
    They could also spend 500 billion dollars on infrastructure and make 501 billion dollars in return. That equals 1 billion dollars in profit also.
    Wouldn't that be nice but they would also say spend nothing, cut jobs, use cheaper materials, and make 2 billion while spending only 1million. I miss the good old days when I company wanted more profit they made a better product improved on it. Now it's easier to find a tax loop hole, cut jobs, and reduce the quality of a product to make a larger profit.

CoopII
    06-14-2013 01:16 PM
    The NSA can't wait for a Google Glass and Kinect in every home in America!
    haha - they're already working on software for both as we speak. I hear an unconfirmed rumor they're also tapping the "Playstation Eye" for PS4, and Skype as well ;)

When I start to get all uber-paranoid, I sometimes take it to an extreme level: The technology we think is even remotely possible has already been done, and then some. World governments have already figured out how to break the laws of physics and do things we never thought possible, yet we are stifled so that we believe we have some privacy and "that world and technology is a ways off". What if the technology in a certain popular TV show (to be unnamed for fear of spoiling it for anyone) is true, and there are billions of microscopic nanites flying around the air right now... what if at any time those things can spy on us and send back a remote signal? What if we are in The Matrix?

And if we are in The Matrix, can the Xbox One help me to fly around and stuff?
    06-14-2013 01:18 PM
    What? they require a Kinect so developers don't need to code things twice. Otherwise they would have to detect whether you have a Kinect and then give you a particular experience based on this. This is a lot of work. Also right now the Kinect is a big differentiator compared to the useless PS Eye or whatever they are calling it.

I hope the xbox games are a little bit cheaper, entire internet would go ape **** saying its not fair
    Not true. Say that there is a set of Kinect-based commands coded into a game. All you have to do is put those in a block, and run a tiny check to turn those functions off or on every clock cycle. It would take such a small fraction of time that it wouldn't ever be noticeable. You'd just make the equivalent of an on-off switch for the Kinect commands.

Actually, you don't even have to do THAT. you can have it always listening for those Kinect commands. If the Kinect isn't connected, then it just won't ever receive those commands and respond to them. It won't affect anything any more than not pressing Start at a given time affects the rest of the game's ability to function. you don't have to write to separate versions of the same game code.
    06-14-2013 01:36 PM
    Tradeoffs my friend. Xbox One would be identical to steam, and allow an offline mode, but people complained about used games. Steam doesn't have used games, so it allows them to implement an "offline mode". If Xbox One gets rid of used games completely, then they can get rid of the 24-hour online check.
    Actually they could almost get rid of the 24 hour checks with out getting rid of used games, Very simple. Requre the disc in the drive when you want to play the game when you do not have access to a internet connection. The game can ONLY be played if it was installed on THAT machine, with THAT disc before internet was lost. It would mean that you WOULD need a internet connection when you install the game(allow to confirm games via smartglass on a cell phone/tablet) but, after that point you can play the game off line IF your using the exact disc in that machine. If you tried to sell the game, then you can no longer play that game. If the xbox shows you played it offline, once it is back online, it would need to to drop in the disc again to confirm you own the disc still.

This would solve almost ALL problems with the 24 hour checks and everyones complaint about not being about to use games on a system with out a internet connection(needing a cell phone/tablet with a data plan of some type to confirm games).
    06-14-2013 01:47 PM
    He makes some good points, but why isnt MS pushing these points? When are we going to hear about game prices? If they arent cheaper than the PS4's prices, thats a problem.

And geez, can the guy curse any more? At least try and come off as professional. You represent MS, be professional and try to speak a sentence or two without dropping an F bomb.

I still dont get MS's quietness on this. If you're still working things out, fine. But then you shouldve said little about it to begin with. When you do get it all worked out, you better get some PR skills and explain it and show case why A, B, and C are good for us and how they will be beneficial. And I still say, if youre going ahead with this, having a cheaper game price than the competition would be the way to go. I think thatll go a long way to regaining some folks you lost after Sony bashed you.
    06-14-2013 01:51 PM
    Actually they could almost get rid of the 24 hour checks with out getting rid of used games, Very simple. Requre the disc in the drive when you want to play the game when you do not have access to a internet connection. The game can ONLY be played if it was installed on THAT machine, with THAT disc before internet was lost. It would mean that you WOULD need a internet connection when you install the game(allow to confirm games via smartglass on a cell phone/tablet) but, after that point you can play the game off line IF your using the exact disc in that machine. If you tried to sell the game, then you can no longer play that game. If the xbox shows you played it offline, once it is back online, it would need to to drop in the disc again to confirm you own the disc still.

This would solve almost ALL problems with the 24 hour checks and everyones complaint about not being about to use games on a system with out a internet connection(needing a cell phone/tablet with a data plan of some type to confirm games).
    And then you are taking a step backwards, because that means physical and digital games are completely different. They are no longer identical in every way.

Why doesn't Steam do this so then Steam can allow the selling and trading of used games? Surely Steam is evil for not doing this.
    06-14-2013 01:57 PM
    He makes some good points, but why isnt MS pushing these points? When are we going to hear about game prices? If they arent cheaper than the PS4's prices, thats a problem.

And geez, can the guy curse any more? At least try and come off as professional. You represent MS, be professional and try to speak a sentence or two without dropping an F bomb.

I still dont get MS's quietness on this. If you're still working things out, fine. But then you shouldve said little about it to begin with. When you do get it all worked out, you better get some PR skills and explain it and show case why A, B, and C are good for us and how they will be beneficial. And I still say, if youre going ahead with this, having a cheaper game price than the competition would be the way to go. I think thatll go a long way to regaining some folks you lost after Sony bashed you.
    When you consider what they have done and how it will impact sales, is there anywhere to go but up for Microsoft at this point? Post all the pre-order numbers you want, but do those numbers guarantee sales if any earth-shattering announcements happen between now and launch?

And this guy was not tasked by MS for PR, just giving his insider insights...for which he could lose his job if they find out who he is.
    06-14-2013 02:03 PM
    Wouldn't that be nice but they would also say spend nothing, cut jobs, use cheaper materials, and make 2 billion while spending only 1million. I miss the good old days when I company wanted more profit they made a better product improved on it. Now it's easier to find a tax loop hole, cut jobs, and reduce the quality of a product to make a larger profit.

CoopII
    That's what "gamers" apparently want.

Now these people that used to want high tech are saying that companies need to cut costs instead of having DRM. They don't care if that translates to lost jobs and studios moving overseas.
    06-14-2013 02:21 PM
    I still dont get MS's quietness on this. If you're still working things out, fine. But then you shouldve said little about it to begin with. When you do get it all worked out, you better get some PR skills and explain it and show case why A, B, and C are good for us and how they will be beneficial.
    I don't agree that they're being quiet... they are being very upfront. They could have ignored all the DRM rumors circulating the internet via leaks and just focused on the console features until they nailed in the final details and exactly how everything works. Problem is, what if it took them until September or October to figure out how everything worked? Hello extra backlash: "This just in: Microsoft tries to hide massive DRM issues". They addressed the leaks head-on by stating how the system would work in general and their vision for it, while also informing consumers of what to expect, and getting everybody ready in advance.

They are being quiet now, yes, and you know... from the interview with the Microsoft guy who said that "We expected this"... it could very well be part of their plan. This is a way to gauge public opinion. I doubt they are going to reverse course, they've obviously thought about this for an extremely long time in a lot of detail, but reactions and suggestions from your random internet commenter to a major online tech blog article might help guide Microsoft to the finish line when nailing down the final details.

They don't really have PR skills though. Information is scattered. Even after the first press event in May, they seemed to privately and separately talk to a number of different press outlets or blog sites or random people walking down the street who asked how their day was. Let's just hope they can iron out these issues soon (by the end of the summer?) and come up with an amicable solution for all.
    mister2d likes this.
    06-14-2013 02:25 PM
    MS will wait until things cool down before spending a lot to advertise benefits.

Right now, MS could say that Jessica Alba will personally deliver your ONE to your house and people will complain that it's not a different star.
    06-14-2013 02:26 PM
    And then you are taking a step backwards, because that means physical and digital games are completely different. They are no longer identical in every way.

Why doesn't Steam do this so then Steam can allow the selling and trading of used games? Surely Steam is evil for not doing this.
    This would SOLVE the problem for now, they could advance towards their model of a "Digital World" but, still work with people that need it now. From what was said, off line could not show DRM to confirm you own the game. This could be a simple workaround for now. This would ONLY work for physical disks.

Truth be told, most sales, to start will be from physcal media. It will continue this way unless new games are $40-50 on xbox live, if they are the same price, why would anyone just do a digital download ? There would be no point to it if I could get the nice case and paper work that I paid for(nevermind less bandwith on my ISP and not having to wait possable hours to download a 40gb game).

You may want to and I may be interested in at some point moving to a total digital world (I love the idea of selecting a game from a menu to play, before I would have to "hack" a system to get that) but, it does not work for everyone. This idea is for, no internet but, played the game before ? Put in the disc to use offline for the time being.

It is needed to have an option like this, not everyone in the world has a perfect internet connection. This would solve it for these people.

One of the more "accurate" uses of Kinect v1 augmentation was showcased on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, where you could angle your foot as if stepping on a gas pedal and it would accelerate a vehicle. Maybe that was also shown at a few other places as well. But it never took off or got incorporated into any actual uses - it was a tech demo, at any rate, using a racing game not built with Kinect in mind.
    It's not a demo....It works that way in Forza 4, you have to enable it in the menu (I think it does in Forza Horizon too), infact one of the achievements is for driving a car in a race using only kinect... It worked good but, it was not something I would use for the whole game, I tried it for a while but, prefered the controller as I didn't think it was as accurate.
    06-14-2013 02:31 PM
    MS will wait until things cool down before spending a lot to advertise benefits.

Right now, MS could say that Jessica Alba will personally deliver your ONE to your house and people will complain that it's not a different star.
    Where do I sign up for THAT edition?
    Mystictrust and DavidinCT like this.
    06-14-2013 02:33 PM
    DO. WANT. Sign me up.
    06-14-2013 02:38 PM

What would be the benefit of that? I mean, she's probably not someone who will drive faster than I will, meaning waiting on her to get to my house with the console will mean a longer wait than if I went to the store and picked it up myself. I don't see how having anyone who isn't a professional in the shipping industry deliver my purchase is of any benefit than doing it myself.
    HeyCori likes this.
    06-14-2013 03:20 PM
    What would be the benefit of that? I mean, she's probably not someone who will drive faster than I will, meaning waiting on her to get to my house with the console will mean a longer wait than if I went to the store and picked it up myself. I don't see how having anyone who isn't a professional in the shipping industry deliver my purchase is of any benefit than doing it myself.
    It's not about the console. I would be playing with her controllers if you know what I mean..
    06-14-2013 03:22 PM
    The NSA can't wait for a Google Glass and Kinect in every home in America!
    All the ways you're being watched
    mister2d likes this.
    06-14-2013 03:44 PM
    It's not about the console. I would be playing with her controllers if you know what I mean..
    You mean through SmartGlass on her Lumia 920, right?
    😉
    06-14-2013 03:52 PM
    Touche'!!
    06-14-2013 03:54 PM
    I don't really care if this guy is really an MS engineer or not, because either way, he makes some very valid points.
    I didn't know about the Steam-stuff, but I can't find anything wrong with what the guy is saying here. The main reason I don't play my PS3 is because the games are so expensive. If MS manages to create a Steam-like platform because of the DRM stuff, I fully support them.

Next to that, I also see a lot of "futuristic" potential with this Kinect, just like this guy is talking about:
    I can come home from a hard day's work, shout "Xbox, on. Xbox, play the Beatles". Then walk to the refridgerator while listening to some sweet tunes, getting something to drink, go sit on the couch, pick up my controller, say "Xbox, play Halo" and have it pause the game automatically when I turn my head away to answer an incoming text on my phone. YEAH SCIENCE!
    06-14-2013 04:24 PM
    Well there will always be those who embrace change and those who despise it.. Either way, the future is becoming more digital and we're going to have to embrace now or later.
    06-14-2013 06:52 PM
    Yeah, she's married and has 2 kids. Just a guess, but she might be more of an upstanding person than to cheat on her husband with some guy she just handed a toy to.
    06-14-2013 11:49 PM
    Yeah, she's married and has 2 kids. Just a guess, but she might be more of an upstanding person than to cheat on her husband with some guy she just handed a toy to.
    She also might have brought along some extra bonus controllers to use for the Xbox One - you never know ;) I'd personally just like to have a chat with her, she comes across as super nice. And great to look at :D Maybe she could show me the apps she uses on her 920 or something (yea, geeky, I know)
    06-15-2013 12:20 AM
    Someone is taking this thread/life/Xbox One issue a bit too seriously. Take some time away from this and come back with a fresh perspective. I guarantee it will be much better for you.
    06-15-2013 02:20 AM
    Anyone brave enough to put these arguments in a well-thought-out JPEG and post it to Reddit/4chan/9gag/Cheezburger? There's WAY too much hate going on over there.

Include Jessica Alba if you like.
    06-15-2013 05:21 AM
    That's really not a reasonable conclusion, though. My likelihood of using a Kinect goes DOWN with this idea. I'd be willing to buy the Kinect, though I won't use it much, but telling me I HAVE to plug it in shuts me down to using it completely. If all it needs is to be plugged in (and it doesn't need to see the user for the console to function), I will literally wrap the thing in foil and never use it because I think that the concept is THAT dumb. Making someone buy the thing is one matter--they can use console sales as a point in-favor of developing for the Kinect. However, telling developers that the Kinect is plugged in doesn't really hold any MORE weight that "the Kinect has been purchased."

Just as not having the requirement can mean a Kinect on a shelf, having the requirement can mean having a bunch of Kinects wasting space an electricity without ever being used.
    Sigh. Keith with all due respect, I doubt there are many customers who will feel the same way as you about the Kinect. And for those who do, there are other products on the market that do not take this approach that you can enjoy. Microsoft also chose to make a console that wouldn't play 360 games. There are probably some folks outraged about that decision as well. There are other options for them too. Kinect IS necessary for the Xbox One to achieve Microsoft's goals for the product. I won't say deal with it, but it does seem you are making way too big a deal about this when the simple solution for you is to not buy the Xbox One.
    06-15-2013 11:45 AM
110 12345