MS Engineer comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
It wouldn't work mandating kinect at a later date.
Your then forcing a whole user base to purchase a bit of hardware. Regardless how good and/or cheap it is, can you imagine the out rage and logistics.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
OMG Keith, seriously? The Kinect is just as much a part of the Xbox One as the hand controller. If you don't like it, or question its abilities, then don't buy the X1.

However, continuing to gripe about Microsoft requiring while its clear why they did, is just a waste of everyone's time, especially yours.

And who cares if Jessica Alba is married with 2 kids. It would still be cool as hell to see her in person, even if it's just to stare at her beauty for 2 minutes and smile back at her.

You really need to lighten up if you can't even get excited about that.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't work mandating kinect at a later date.
Your then forcing a whole user base to purchase a bit of hardware. Regardless how good and/or cheap it is, can you imagine the out rage and logistics.

Uhh...how is that different than doing it now? I imagine that the rage and logistics wouldn't be much worse than it is right now, especially if they stated their INTENT to do it in the future, to prepare people for that eventual inevitability. I know it's not legitimately a likely solution, because it would be a pain, it's just a hypothetical suggestion.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
OMG Keith, seriously? The Kinect is just as much a part of the Xbox One as the hand controller. If you don't like it, or question its abilities, then don't buy the X1.

However, continuing to gripe about Microsoft requiring while its clear why they did, is just a waste of everyone's time, especially yours.

And who cares if Jessica Alba is married with 2 kids. It would still be cool as hell to see her in person, even if it's just to stare at her beauty for 2 minutes and smile back at her.

You really need to lighten up if you can't even get excited about that.

1. What, simply because I'm told why, I'm not allowed to say I don't like it, and/or suggest alternatives? Yes, I seriously still think that there are better systems for this stuff, and I am not requiring you to read my comments. So while you tell me to not get a console, how about you don't read my comments?

2. I have no interest in Jessica Alba. I don't specifically anything she's been in because she was in it. I can't say I'd really care to have a conversation with her, because I can't say I have anything in common with her (though I can't say I know that I don't either). Even if I did meet her, I wouldn't "stare at her beauty." Again, she's married, and I think that such a thing is impolite (as I think staring in general is). Oh, and there's the part where I don't care to be randomly approached by stranger.

Sorry I tried to use some actual reasoning behind my statement, rather than going to my initial though of just calling the person a pervert. Again, if you want to keep coming back with insults and rudeness, and not actually engage in any meaningful discussion, then I invite you to not read my comments 10 times to the extent that you invite me to not buy the Xbox One.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'll add that I'm a little confused with this staunch defense of everything. I mean, people have long criticized Apple for requiring a specific connector for their phones to work, which costs about $20-30. We're then willing to support than same vision for a $100 Kinect, call it "the future," and then defend it to the death, it seems. We hate the DRM on music and movies, and we voted EA the worst company in America for 2 years because of their Online Pass, in an attempt to earn some money off of used games. Microsoft uses this check-in system to attempt to monetize the used games market as well, and people defend that. Sony released the PS3 at $500, while the Xbox 360 was $400 (for the HDD version), and we dogged them for that, despite they were using the Blu-Ray drive as "the future," in a way that worked out well for all of us (as Blu-Ray beat out HD-DVD and had a greater storage capacity). Microsoft touts the Kinect as "the future" (and not in a way that is as widespread as Blu-Ray has been), uses it to release the Xbox One at $500 (while the PS4 is $400), and that gets defended as well. I'm just unsure (beyond the loyalty to the logo) why something folks here castigated other companies for in the past is now a similar matter which they are defending Microsoft for, claiming it's some kind of "revolution of gaming."
PS3 actually launched at $600

If someone tells the iPhone connecter, "iPhone, airplane mode" it's not going to do anything. Nor can it detect eye movement, heartbeat, limb rotation, etc. Although it was defended for some reason, I'm not quite sure what that was. Obviously, the people defending it wanted to let people know why it was so much better, something nobody else was seeing. Apple at the same time is a very different beast. They are amazing with marketing spin, and feeding it all to the masses.

We all hate DRM. I don't think anybody is denying that. I more so think that people are defending the notion that this DRM is necessary to implement Microsoft's next step into the future of gaming. I still don't LIKE the idea of 24-hour check-in, and I really don't think anybody "likes" it, but some people have accepted it as a good trade-off for what they can do. I was complaining about it to my brother, not a big tech-guy, and explaining how that part blows. His response, "Yea, you know... I really don't care. My Xbox is always online right now and I am always on Live anyway". I can't really find fault in that - he took his Xbox 360 to our extended family's house in Canada a couple of Christmases ago - he just hooked it up to their in-home Wi-Fi and we played against our cousin on his 360. For our situation and our connectivity, there really is no problem. The DRM does suck - there may be occasions where something goes wrong or that we want to take it somewhere offline... but for the most part, in normal usage... it works. Not for everybody of course, but some people do find it will work for them without many (or any) problems. And THAT'S why people defend it. People defend it because there are still plenty of scenarios where it will work and not be obtrusive at all. People defend it because they might find it appalling to find such a narrow-minded view, when in reality it actually works for some people. And makes sense to some people. And will be invisible to some people. I imagine it will be invisible to me. I'm curious though and I will take the console offline for 24 hours just to see how it handles it :) I specifically want to know if I will be booted out of a game at the exact 24 hour marker, and if my game will be saved or if I will be prompted.

Some DRM is seamless and some isn't. I never bought Bioshock for the PC because of that DRM that limits your number of total installs. I can be known for wiping everything clean on my machine, and I have done that multiple times. I would hate to have a coaster once I installed the game for the 5th time on my PC. I didn't have to worry about that at all when Microsoft offered it for $5 digital download a while back, so I finally picked it up. At least now I can play it on any 360 I want.

Microsoft touts the Kinect as the future. You don't see it, but the Kinect IS the future. It already has brought some fairly impressive stuff with Kinect v1, but this Kinect v2 (or Kinect One) is ridiculously improved. Freaking thing can see me in the dark, that's awesome. I don't need to have floodlights in the room if I want to play a game ;) Regardless, I really don't need to go into any more details because it really sounds as if your mind is made up and Kinect is just a camera capable of producing games where you flail around and hope it catches your movements. I mean, made up until you see it for yourself at the very least. Myself, I've enjoyed the demonstrations I've seen with actual press people (not Microsoft) are using the new Kinect and having the new features shown off to them.

BTW, on the topic of DRM, I am fairly confident that Microsoft has extremely detailed stats on everybody connected to Live... including how many days they've been offline and disconnected in a given timeframe. The numbers they found on those constantly connected probably helped them arrive at a workable solution.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
X1 without Kinect would spoil what Microsoft is trying to achieve. Skype is a good point. From my mobile I can Skype my family on their X1 even if they are watching tv. How rubbish would it be if I had a message cone up saying your friends Kinect is unplugged

Kieth kieth kieth,

rather than all of us here make suggestions and points to you, why don't you use sum of your own logic and tell us what you yourself think you should do........

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Uhh...how is that different than doing it now? I imagine that the rage and logistics wouldn't be much worse than it is right now, especially if they stated their INTENT to do it in the future, to prepare people for that eventual inevitability. I know it's not legitimately a likely solution, because it would be a pain, it's just a hypothetical suggestion.

Now you're just being silly.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Now you're just being silly.

I know, it would certainly be a more-difficult transition mid-generation. I just found it funny that his response was about how it would be difficult to force users to buy the hardware, just because that's what they're doing now (I know making them buy it for something that they already bought is different, but it just made me chuckle a bit). I was being silly, but it was also a bit of "they're doing that now."

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
No logistics issues doing it now. Mandate it in the future and say to people you have to purchase it otherwise your console will no longer work just would not be done.
User base fragmentation is always an issue with addons.

it comes down to belief.
They truly believe that this version of kenect is what makes their console different and is integral to their vision.
The problem they have is the original kenect was like a prototype, made people think wow this is amazing, but it actually put people off in the end, as was far from ready for market. Although they did learn what people didn't want, in how its used in games haha.

If it works as well as they think and can get it used in games correctly this time, then the fact its in every box would pay off. I.e. No fragmentation.
I think they have a lot to prove to get people to buy into it though.

I actually think that its a lot of things that are adding up to a 'bad deal' for some people, not just one thing.
I think with the privacy settings, and if they could've brought it in $40 or so cheaper, shame about price even if its more than worth it.
If there wasn't checkin, used games, bad pr handing(in my eyes) i doubt the kenect would be such a big deal, more what an amazing deal, or don't want it but what the hell.

Edit:
Sorry i thought you was being serious, i didn't get your humor. My point stands, you saying do it mid generation is madness to me :)

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
X1 without Kinect would spoil what Microsoft is trying to achieve. Skype is a good point. From my mobile I can Skype my family on their X1 even if they are watching tv. How rubbish would it be if I had a message cone up saying your friends Kinect is unplugged

Kieth kieth kieth,

rather than all of us here make suggestions and points to you, why don't you use sum of your own logic and tell us what you yourself think you should do........

If you're going to type my name 3 times like that, could you spell it right ONCE? I mean, I'm not making you spell it phonetically--the answer is in plain text to the left of the screen.

Xbox One without the Kinect ALTOGETHER would spoil their goals. However, making me buy it when I won't use it doesn't help them any more than having me not buy it, from a usage standpoint. I know that faking that people are using it with sales numbers helps with nudging developers to use it, but making me plug it in doesn't really do that, IMO. some might disagree (I know they do, claiming that if it's plugged in, most will "give in" and use it), but for me, it doesn't. I'm not saying make the console around me, just that I don't agree with their assessment as to why plugging the thing in is necessary.

As for that last statement, I don't know what you're talking about. I've made suggestions about fixing/altering features on the Xbox One all over the place. I typically accompany each suggestions with a MINIMUM of a paragraph explaining how it would work, and why I think what I think. I've often given multiple options to alter the issue at-hand. I have written enough to warrant considering a "lengthy essay" in some cases. What do you mean, "tell us what you yourself think you should do?" I don't know what you mean.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
User base fragmentation is always an issue with addons.

I get that entirely. I as just saying that is an alternative I would consider, just for the sake of providing one (I don't like to point out a flaw without TRYING to offer a solution). However, I just want to take this one comment and make two quick points about it:

1. They seem to be OK with fragmenting the Xbox LIVE user base with this.
2. They seem to be fine fragmenting the Windows Phone user base in multiple ways. First, they did it with the Windows Phone 7 devices, by telling us that because of the kernel switch, an upgrade was not possible. This isn't saying that they lied or anything, just stating a fact. (quick aside: I always wondered why they didn't suggest some type of memory-wipe upgrade on WP7 devices). However, to add on, they've also fragmented the Windows Phone 8 user base itself, through RAM restrictions. Games that can run (sometimes poorly, mind you) on Android devices with 512 MB of RAM cannot do the same on Windows Phone 8. This has led to WP7-only games and apps, WP8-only games and apps, and games and apps with a 1GB RAM requirement, creating what is essentially 3 fragmentations. The WP8 fragmentation came in the name of affordability, so why couldn't a Kinect fragmentation occur as well?

I'm not calling you wrong or saying Microsoft could/had to do that. I'm simply stating that I don't understand why Microsoft is willing to fragment 3 user bases (Xbox 360 vs. Xbox One, WP7 vs. WP8, and 1 GB RAM vs. 512 MB RAM), but not one across Kinect lines. In my opinion, the fragmentation of apps across the RAM line is much worse for the Windows Phone 8 platform than a Kinect fragmentation would be for the Xbox One, but that's just my interpretation.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi Keith I am sorry I spelt your name wrong.

What I am saying is it looks like you are unsure whether you will be buying an X1 so instead of you giving suggestions about what Microsoft should do to improve the X1 for you and us all giving you reasons and suggestions to why the X1 is fine just like it is.
You should just either not buy one OR just tell us what you are going to do, perhaps wait a year etc etc.

It'll save you alot of back and forth posts.

Are you getting an X1?
If you are, when?
Why?

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Not saying i agree or not with what they did with wp7 and wp8 fragmentation, difference is wp7 had a comparatively relatively small user base to do it to.

Also 2 wrongs don't make a right, maybe they learned their lesson lol

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Not saying i agree or not with what they did with wp7 and wp8 fragmentation, difference is wp7 had a comparatively relatively small user base to do it to.

Also 2 wrongs don't make a right, maybe they learned their lesson lol

What was the lesson, fragment people when they don't want it, then don't fragment them when they want it? They literally made the opposite decisions with Windows Phone and Xbox One, when compared to what people would prefer. Yes, the 7-8 fragmentation isn't big, but the difference with that is if you fragment Kinect users, you can buy a Kinect to solve that, and it would be $100-150. To fix the fragmentation issue if you're a smartphone user, you either have to spend $400-500 or wait for your contract to end. In the case of my cousin (who got a Lumia 900 right before the announcement that it wouldn't get upgraded to WP8), that means waiting until Spring 2014.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Keith I am sorry I spelt your name wrong.

What I am saying is it looks like you are unsure whether you will be buying an X1 so instead of you giving suggestions about what Microsoft should do to improve the X1 for you and us all giving you reasons and suggestions to why the X1 is fine just like it is.
You should just either not buy one OR just tell us what you are going to do, perhaps wait a year etc etc.

It'll save you alot of back and forth posts.

Are you getting an X1?
If you are, when?
Why?

So, I've said on several occasions that in its current state, I do not intend to buy the Xbox One, until I see a compelling reason to do so (which is something I cannot predict, as I do not know the future changes to a console that hasn't even had its entire feature set released, let alone reach market). I've said that I will have to learn more about how this console will behave before I can make a decision. When I've made that clear in multiple threads, how can you expect me to then, after saying "I don't know yet," turn around and give you the answer?

I mean, I guess I CAN:

Are you getting an X1? I don't know.
If you are, when? I don't know.
Why? I don't know because I have not been given enough information about the console. I want to know more about the EXACT ways that this family sharing feature will work. I know to know how game pricing will change (if at all). I want to know what this Kinect does that's so great it is both worth the extra $100 at the start and never unplugging it. I want to know how this new matchmaking system will work (the one based on reputation). I want to know how buying and selling used games will work. I want to know a lot more, that's why I don't know.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok then Keith, like a few of us have said. Wait till release, then check out an X1, perhaps give it a few months and then decide what your going to do.
That's the logical thing to do.
Perhaps you can let us know at that time how you got on as its pointless having post after post on something that you ain't 100% sure what it will turn out like.
See you in 6 months or so...

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Keith. Lots of people have been trying to tell you this. NO ONE is making you buy the Kinect. It does come with the Xbox One. If you don't want the Kinect, you shouldn't buy the Xbox One. Repeat NO ONE is making you buy the Kinect. You want a product that isn't being offered. Sorry about that, but that's what it comes down to.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm kinda with Keith but only kinda Ms should not force the Kinect make it an option I'll buy if it works I promise honeslty if it becomes that good people would buy it or no? If not maybe not ment to be why is Ms so reluctant to offer it as option I just don't get it im going to buy the x1 but not for the Kinect leave that for those who will appreciate it and use it the Kinect is just not for me .they say option to turn if so if not in use why does it still have to be connected someone please explain that to me?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm kinda with Keith but only kinda Ms should not force the Kinect make it an option I'll buy if it works I promise honeslty if it becomes that good people would buy it or no? If not maybe not ment to be why is Ms so reluctant to offer it as option I just don't get it im going to buy the x1 but not for the Kinect leave that for those who will appreciate it and use it the Kinect is just not for me .they say option to turn if so if not in use why does it still have to be connected someone please explain that to me?

It's an integral part of the whole system. It's not just a game console.

You aren't forced to buy it. You can just decide not to get an XBOX ONE, or at least not until you see it for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)