06-21-2013 11:39 AM
93 1234
tools
    You can get steam like deals from PSN now. Compared to Xbox Lives lackluster sales.
    For the next 6 months there will be some pretty good deals. especially the two free 360 games a month. I got fable 3 already. Anxious to see what else is coming...
    trickym81 likes this.
    06-15-2013 02:29 PM
    I didn't even watch the Sony stuff (there was not chance I'd be interested), and I still haven't watched much of the Microsoft stuff (I got about half of the keynote on DVR, because I forgot it was coming on until it had already started, and I haven't watched all of it yet), so I cannot speak to those things.

Determining the graphics card could have come in probably 4 major ways:

1. Looking up the desktop's model number, and finding out it comes with an NVIDIA card.
    2. Opening up the machine and seeing for himself.
    3. Asking one of the people on-hand.
    4. On Windows 7, you can go into the settings and look at what the hardware in the PC is.

That, and there is free software (like CPU-ID) that can tell you, thought I doubt it was installed on that PC. My guess is that he either opened up the setting menu with the information out of curiosity, or he maybe popped the side of the case off. Not sure that an employee would have freely admitted it, and most desktops come with numerous configurations, including both AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards in some of them.
    06-15-2013 02:31 PM
    For the next 6 months there will be some pretty good deals. especially the two free 360 games a month. I got fable 3 already. Anxious to see what else is coming...
    Well, it was said that Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 would come. The problem I have there is that such an offer runs at al times for PSN-Plus. When I first heard about the deal, I thought Microsoft was following Sony's lead. Instead, it sounds like they're just trying to incentivize late-2013 Xbox 360 purchases, in my opinion.
    06-15-2013 02:32 PM
    Well, it was said that Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 would come. The problem I have there is that such an offer runs at al times for PSN-Plus. When I first heard about the deal, I thought Microsoft was following Sony's lead. Instead, it sounds like they're just trying to incentivize late-2013 Xbox 360 purchases, in my opinion.
    I'm thinking of it like this (looking on the brighter side). What if they're adding value by testing it out up through the Xbox One launch, and will later shift the program to Xbox One at some point in the future? Without backwards compatibility, they can't commit to supporting two free games a month on Xbox One without a backlog of cheaper games they can take the hit on. On that note, I'm sure curious how Sony will handle the free PS4 game (or games) with PSN+... It might end up being indie titles or something, I don't know.
    06-15-2013 02:41 PM
    I didn't even watch the Sony stuff (there was not chance I'd be interested), and I still haven't watched much of the Microsoft stuff (I got about half of the keynote on DVR, because I forgot it was coming on until it had already started, and I haven't watched all of it yet), so I cannot speak to those things.
    Assassin's Creed IV froze up several times on Sony, and eventually froze so bad that they had to prematurely cancel the demo play, with a very sad look on the face of the developer who was live playing the game on stage. It wasn't just that game though since it continued to happen after that.

You said you have a 360, right? There's an E3 tile on the home screen and you can watch the briefing and all three days of the live show gaming interviews. I know your internet is crappy but you can try at least, make up for what you couldn't record on DVR.

I think it's also streaming via various PC websites, or even YouTube where you could buffer it
    06-15-2013 02:48 PM
    Assassin's Creed IV froze up several times on Sony, and eventually froze so bad that they had to prematurely cancel the demo play, with a very sad look on the face of the developer who was live playing the game on stage. It wasn't just that game though since it continued to happen after that.

You said you have a 360, right? There's an E3 tile on the home screen and you can watch the briefing and all three days of the live show gaming interviews. I know your internet is crappy but you can try at least, make up for what you couldn't record on DVR.

I think it's also streaming via various PC websites, or even YouTube where you could buffer it
    YouTube really doesn't buffer right on my computer. I'm not sure if it's my Internet, or YouTube's manner of buffering is just total crap. For example, if it's a 3-minute video I'm trying to watch, it'll buffer the first 30 seconds or so, then just refuse to load the rest. I'll run through the first 30 seconds, then have to restart the video to re-initialize the buffering, or refresh the page. On occasion, I'll have to do that multiple times. I'm not sure of the reason, but it's just another frustration that makes me REALLY dislike Google and its services.

But yeah, I know that it's around to watch, I've just not bothered to want to sit and watch it because it's such a long event. I probably will at SOME point, just not right now. That must be a pretty sinking feeling for developers, though, to have their games completely fail to perform on-stage. That's the upside to not using dev kits, I guess, but it's also something I wouldn't fault anyone for--imperfection 5 months from release. They have time to fix that all.

Do they know (read: have they said) what caused the problems? Was it the actual PS4 hardware? Just randomly thought that they might have been using a wireless network to stream the video and it got congested or generally failed, but the console itself didn't suffer from those problems.
    06-15-2013 03:22 PM
    I'm thinking of it like this (looking on the brighter side). What if they're adding value by testing it out up through the Xbox One launch, and will later shift the program to Xbox One at some point in the future? Without backwards compatibility, they can't commit to supporting two free games a month on Xbox One without a backlog of cheaper games they can take the hit on. On that note, I'm sure curious how Sony will handle the free PS4 game (or games) with PSN+... It might end up being indie titles or something, I don't know.
    I agree that's a possibility, but it's hard to take everything good on a "what if?" basis, while the negatives seem to be 100% ready to go from launch. We have firm knowledge of the check-in and the price disappointment (in my opinion) and the Kinect requirements and all of that, but everything that MIGHT redeem the console is on a speculation basis. Hard to buy in to these problems on "maybe," and possibilities for the future. In my opinion, Microsoft should work to port their own games to the Xbox One, at least some of them. That would provide them with a starter package of free games they could give away, if that was their plan. That, or they could simply give indie developers more open support, and flat-out tell them that their games will have the publishing fees waived, and Microsoft will subsidize a couple each month, meaning gamers get the 2 (or however many) free games, while having Microsoft still make sure that indie developers get their money.

As for how Sony will handle it, they will probably do something to incentivize porting indie titles, and they said they intend to use GaiKai to support backwards compatibility via streaming.
    06-15-2013 03:27 PM
    I don't think people who defend Microsoft on their 24 hour check in have ever brought a system with them on a trip or a vacation. If there's no reliable internet, you cannot play games even in single player mode. Since PS4 gives me an important "option" that is available on every other console except for the xbox one, I can't see myself purchasing the xbox one.
    06-15-2013 04:36 PM
    I don't think people who defend Microsoft on their 24 hour check in have ever brought a system with them on a trip or a vacation. If there's no reliable internet, you cannot play games even in single player mode. Since PS4 gives me an important "option" that is available on every other console except for the xbox one, I can't see myself purchasing the xbox one.
    How many options are there for trips without reliable Internet nowadays? Even Disney World offers free WiFi now (they charged $10/day when we went in late-2008/early-2009, but it was free in June/July 2012). Most hotels offer free WiFi. Odds are, if you go on one of the few trips in which you are not near Internet, you are:

1. Somewhere without electricity (camping)
    2. Somewhere you won't have much time to play (remote family reunion?)

I guess if you go on a long, cross-country trip in a big RV, that's possible, but can't you get Internet in an RV nowadays?
    06-15-2013 04:39 PM
    If your phone has the ability, you could also tether your data connection until the check is complete.
    06-15-2013 04:57 PM
    If your phone has the ability, you could also tether your data connection until the check is complete.
    Yeah, I've been trying to suggest a means of doing so without tethering though, because not all of us have it (I don't know anyone who does personally).
    06-15-2013 05:13 PM
    Don't feel like making a topic for this, so I'm putting it here. Looks like Indie support is through the roof.

http://coinpixels.com/next-gen/plays...-crazy-amount/
    06-15-2013 10:51 PM
    Bur, I also wouldn't determine which system I'd get based off not having internet on vacation once a year... On my vacations now I rarely have an urge to play a game. Granted not everyone is like me, but I do think it is kind of short sighted to not purchase something because of that one time a year you know you're going to take a trip.
    AiR DEGETA likes this.
    06-15-2013 11:05 PM
    During the E3, PS4 glitched and froze in at least 2 demos. The PS platform will still cause troubles for developers to build games for. The PS was responsible for companies like Bethesda abandoning their future Skyrim DLCs simply because it was a waste of money trying to make those DLCs work on PS3. PS4 doesn't seem to be any different. It's less future-proof than Xbox.
    06-16-2013 11:28 PM
    During the E3, PS4 glitched and froze in at least 2 demos. The PS platform will still cause troubles for developers to build games for. The PS was responsible for companies like Bethesda abandoning their future Skyrim DLCs simply because it was a waste of money trying to make those DLCs work on PS3. PS4 doesn't seem to be any different. It's less future-proof than Xbox.
    Actually, the PS4 won't be any harder to program for, compared to the One. Both are fairly identical from a hardware point of view... PS has different RAM and a 30% better video card. One has cloud computing and the developer can bank on Kinect being available.

Granted, I have no clue what the PS OS is and how difficult/easy it is to program for.. We all know the One is based on the Windows 8 core and developers don't seem to complain about any difficulties there.
    06-16-2013 11:45 PM
    When I go on vacation, I try to do stuff I don't do at home. I never bring a game console.

Though I will bring a tablet.
    curseoftheninja likes this.
    06-17-2013 12:01 AM
    I'm more concerned about military members abroad not being able to play Xbox One because of the check-in policy. I hope Microsoft comes up with a solution to this--one better than telling them to buy an Xbox 360, which is patronizing.
    06-17-2013 01:58 PM
    I'm more concerned about military members abroad not being able to play Xbox One because of the check-in policy. I hope Microsoft comes up with a solution to this--one better than telling them to buy an Xbox 360, which is patronizing.
    I'm sure we'll hear something in time.

Though if you take away internet, a lot of the cool features of the XBOX ONE probably won't be showcased. In that instance, a PS4 might be better.
    06-17-2013 02:19 PM
    Granted, I have no clue what the PS OS is and how difficult/easy it is to program for.. We all know the One is based on the Windows 8 core and developers don't seem to complain about any difficulties there.
    Someone missed the tears that were shed by Gabe Newell of Valve, who said he was going to work to get Steam up and running fully on Linux because of the issues he had with Windows 8. He wasn't the only one to complain, but he is the only name I can recall.
    06-17-2013 05:42 PM
    I'm sure we'll hear something in time.

Though if you take away internet, a lot of the cool features of the XBOX ONE probably won't be showcased. In that instance, a PS4 might be better.
    Yes and no. Sony was touting its console's social networking integration, which dies without an Internet connection as well. If you're not going to be using an Internet connection (and these consoles are capable of functioning without one, hypothetically), it all becomes a matter of your gaming preference. All I've used my Xbox 360 for is games, and I prefer having a $60/year subscription to Xbox LIVE to play online to a free PSN gaming experience when it means missing out on Halo and Forza, among other franchises.
    06-17-2013 05:45 PM
    Someone missed the tears that were shed by Gabe Newell of Valve, who said he was going to work to get Steam up and running fully on Linux because of the issues he had with Windows 8. He wasn't the only one to complain, but he is the only name I can recall.
    Gabe Newell doesn't count in my eyes, because all he comes across as is a whiny little crybaby. He also takes as many opportunities as he can, or so it seems, to slam a Microsoft product, like they stole his newborn child or something.

Yes and no. Sony was touting its console's social networking integration, which dies without an Internet connection as well. If you're not going to be using an Internet connection (and these consoles are capable of functioning without one, hypothetically), it all becomes a matter of your gaming preference. All I've used my Xbox 360 for is games, and I prefer having a $60/year subscription to Xbox LIVE to play online to a free PSN gaming experience when it means missing out on Halo and Forza, among other franchises.
    I could be misinterpreting your post, but you do know that PSN charges for multiplayer, right? At least, they do on PS4. Makes me wonder if they're also going to retroactively add it to the PS3 as soon as PS4 launches, you know?
    06-17-2013 08:16 PM
    I could be misinterpreting your post, but you do know that PSN charges for multiplayer, right? At least, they do on PS4. Makes me wonder if they're also going to retroactively add it to the PS3 as soon as PS4 launches, you know?
    Yeah, I know. I was speaking to my experience up until this point. I mean the statement to read that I am on Xbox LIVE now, despite the fact that PSN multiplayer has been free up until this point, because of the exclusives on the Xbox.
    06-18-2013 12:15 AM
    For me it only because they are going to implement region blocking for each country., If they left it the same as the 360 I would have no problem with the direction they are heading in.

I do have a XB1 on order and will decide wether to cancel closer to delivery time.
    06-18-2013 12:54 AM
    Thank u.....its nice to see that people are actually thinking this thru!
    06-18-2013 10:31 AM
    I have a cointerpoint to OP. I am going to lay out my thoughts on it, clearly and without attempting to bash either side. Not trying to start or continue a war, just offer a different opinion. I am goint to number the original statement, so I can reply easier, not as an attempt to seem hostile. I've owned a XBox and PS system since they came out. And have had a 360 since they had the Blades in the OS. Just letting everyone know up front that I'm not being biased here.

1) I'd much rather be able to lend a disc, as I don't have to worry about slow connections, nor how many people I have already shared with. For instance, I share with 10 people, and my buddy wants to borrow it too. I then have to call 10 people to ask who is done, so I can lend it to the next guy. I could do it without asking, but yeah. Lending a disc is easier, although it can get "lost", I've never had that issue.

2) I have an GS4 and an iPhone, rooted and jailbroken with apps that tell me when another app is trying to get my location, or whatever. I think the real issue with Check-Ins is no one knows what data is being uploaded. Even less so with the NSA stuff that just happened. I mean, yes that's paranoid, but the XBox One has a camera and microphone that can pick up sounds my phones can't. If I don't want my GS4 recording, I pop the battery, or just turn it over, or just root it and disable the camera/mic. I know it isn't certain that it's actually off, but still. I can turn my iPhone off. I can't remove the Kinect from the XBox One if I understand correctly.

3) When I download an App, or game, it's different than when I buy a disc. If I share a downloaded game, I don't lose access. If I lend a disc, I lose access to the disc, and therefore the game. Bandwidth isn't universal. Most of my friends have 6Mbps or less, I have 18Mbps, not sure how well either will stream games. I live in South Florida, and we get hurricanes. There have been many times that my internet has been out, but my power has been on. Not much to do but play games (and school). Can't play a friend's games easily because can't check in.

4) I've never, ever, thought to pirate (current gen*) games. I always assumed that my XBox 360 or PS3 would be instabanned if I did. That's the way it should be done. Sony is taking the better route in my opinion. Let the games succeed or fail based on their DRM, don't force the choice out of it. It's basically free-market. If I don't like the DRM on a game, I don't have to buy it. Then the DRM can change. Microsoft is taking the "We have the best idea for DRM and that's how it's going to be" approach. Sony is saying "We don't know which DRM will be best, but we'll let the developers choose, and we'll work on our services".

5) PS4 has digital, that's how they can do PS3 games. Microsoft has told me that my XBox 360 games won't work on an XBox One. I am still an avid Halo 4 player, but I'd need to keep my 360 to do that going forward. I'm not sure how this will make the XBox One more powerful, as it isn't like OnLive, where they stream the game-play to you, if I understand correctly. And even if it is, Sony is doing something similar with PS3 games. Also, what if I want to, I can stream (supported) games to my Vita.

6) I don't have either, well I have a PS2 eye toy thing, but I don't know where it is. Personally, I do not now, nor ever, want to control a game with my movements/voice/whatever else Kinect/Eye does. I see how some people do, but if games require it, then I turn it off right away. Same thing with games for my PS3 that tried to get me to use my PS3 controller's motion sensing non-sense.

7) This is one I don't see being mentioned. In my city, we have two ISP's, one limits bandwidth and is more available. The other claims to, but I haven't seen that yet. I don't want a streaming game to take my data usage. I do phone support for a certain electronics company (won't say which), and I deal with a lot of people who have to get satellite internet. That's most of the middle of the country (except for Kansas City with Google Fiber). They're limited to 40 gig a month (Hughs is 20 gig anytime, and 20 gig between 2am and 8am). I don't see how streaming games on that would work.

*I have attempted to "jailbreak" my Vita to play my NES/SNES, as the current NES on it is choppy.
    06-18-2013 12:18 PM
93 1234