I Don't Understand the Backlash Against Xbox One and Praise for PS4

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think people who defend Microsoft on their 24 hour check in have ever brought a system with them on a trip or a vacation. If there's no reliable internet, you cannot play games even in single player mode. Since PS4 gives me an important "option" that is available on every other console except for the xbox one, I can't see myself purchasing the xbox one.

Bur, I also wouldn't determine which system I'd get based off not having internet on vacation once a year... On my vacations now I rarely have an urge to play a game. Granted not everyone is like me, but I do think it is kind of short sighted to not purchase something because of that one time a year you know you're going to take a trip.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
During the E3, PS4 glitched and froze in at least 2 demos. The PS platform will still cause troubles for developers to build games for. The PS was responsible for companies like Bethesda abandoning their future Skyrim DLCs simply because it was a waste of money trying to make those DLCs work on PS3. PS4 doesn't seem to be any different. It's less future-proof than Xbox.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
During the E3, PS4 glitched and froze in at least 2 demos. The PS platform will still cause troubles for developers to build games for. The PS was responsible for companies like Bethesda abandoning their future Skyrim DLCs simply because it was a waste of money trying to make those DLCs work on PS3. PS4 doesn't seem to be any different. It's less future-proof than Xbox.

Actually, the PS4 won't be any harder to program for, compared to the One. Both are fairly identical from a hardware point of view... PS has different RAM and a 30% better video card. One has cloud computing and the developer can bank on Kinect being available.

Granted, I have no clue what the PS OS is and how difficult/easy it is to program for.. We all know the One is based on the Windows 8 core and developers don't seem to complain about any difficulties there.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think people who defend Microsoft on their 24 hour check in have ever brought a system with them on a trip or a vacation. If there's no reliable internet, you cannot play games even in single player mode. Since PS4 gives me an important "option" that is available on every other console except for the xbox one, I can't see myself purchasing the xbox one.

When I go on vacation, I try to do stuff I don't do at home. I never bring a game console.

Though I will bring a tablet.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I'm more concerned about military members abroad not being able to play Xbox One because of the check-in policy. I hope Microsoft comes up with a solution to this--one better than telling them to buy an Xbox 360, which is patronizing.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm more concerned about military members abroad not being able to play Xbox One because of the check-in policy. I hope Microsoft comes up with a solution to this--one better than telling them to buy an Xbox 360, which is patronizing.

I'm sure we'll hear something in time.

Though if you take away internet, a lot of the cool features of the XBOX ONE probably won't be showcased. In that instance, a PS4 might be better.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Granted, I have no clue what the PS OS is and how difficult/easy it is to program for.. We all know the One is based on the Windows 8 core and developers don't seem to complain about any difficulties there.

Someone missed the tears that were shed by Gabe Newell of Valve, who said he was going to work to get Steam up and running fully on Linux because of the issues he had with Windows 8. He wasn't the only one to complain, but he is the only name I can recall.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure we'll hear something in time.

Though if you take away internet, a lot of the cool features of the XBOX ONE probably won't be showcased. In that instance, a PS4 might be better.

Yes and no. Sony was touting its console's social networking integration, which dies without an Internet connection as well. If you're not going to be using an Internet connection (and these consoles are capable of functioning without one, hypothetically), it all becomes a matter of your gaming preference. All I've used my Xbox 360 for is games, and I prefer having a $60/year subscription to Xbox LIVE to play online to a free PSN gaming experience when it means missing out on Halo and Forza, among other franchises.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Someone missed the tears that were shed by Gabe Newell of Valve, who said he was going to work to get Steam up and running fully on Linux because of the issues he had with Windows 8. He wasn't the only one to complain, but he is the only name I can recall.
Gabe Newell doesn't count in my eyes, because all he comes across as is a whiny little crybaby. He also takes as many opportunities as he can, or so it seems, to slam a Microsoft product, like they stole his newborn child or something.

Yes and no. Sony was touting its console's social networking integration, which dies without an Internet connection as well. If you're not going to be using an Internet connection (and these consoles are capable of functioning without one, hypothetically), it all becomes a matter of your gaming preference. All I've used my Xbox 360 for is games, and I prefer having a $60/year subscription to Xbox LIVE to play online to a free PSN gaming experience when it means missing out on Halo and Forza, among other franchises.
I could be misinterpreting your post, but you do know that PSN charges for multiplayer, right? At least, they do on PS4. Makes me wonder if they're also going to retroactively add it to the PS3 as soon as PS4 launches, you know?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I could be misinterpreting your post, but you do know that PSN charges for multiplayer, right? At least, they do on PS4. Makes me wonder if they're also going to retroactively add it to the PS3 as soon as PS4 launches, you know?

Yeah, I know. I was speaking to my experience up until this point. I mean the statement to read that I am on Xbox LIVE now, despite the fact that PSN multiplayer has been free up until this point, because of the exclusives on the Xbox.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
For me it only because they are going to implement region blocking for each country., If they left it the same as the 360 I would have no problem with the direction they are heading in.

I do have a XB1 on order and will decide wether to cancel closer to delivery time.

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a cointerpoint to OP. I am going to lay out my thoughts on it, clearly and without attempting to bash either side. Not trying to start or continue a war, just offer a different opinion. I am goint to number the original statement, so I can reply easier, not as an attempt to seem hostile. I've owned a XBox and PS system since they came out. And have had a 360 since they had the Blades in the OS. Just letting everyone know up front that I'm not being biased here.

1) I'd much rather be able to lend a disc, as I don't have to worry about slow connections, nor how many people I have already shared with. For instance, I share with 10 people, and my buddy wants to borrow it too. I then have to call 10 people to ask who is done, so I can lend it to the next guy. I could do it without asking, but yeah. Lending a disc is easier, although it can get "lost", I've never had that issue.

2) I have an GS4 and an iPhone, rooted and jailbroken with apps that tell me when another app is trying to get my location, or whatever. I think the real issue with Check-Ins is no one knows what data is being uploaded. Even less so with the NSA stuff that just happened. I mean, yes that's paranoid, but the XBox One has a camera and microphone that can pick up sounds my phones can't. If I don't want my GS4 recording, I pop the battery, or just turn it over, or just root it and disable the camera/mic. I know it isn't certain that it's actually off, but still. I can turn my iPhone off. I can't remove the Kinect from the XBox One if I understand correctly.

3) When I download an App, or game, it's different than when I buy a disc. If I share a downloaded game, I don't lose access. If I lend a disc, I lose access to the disc, and therefore the game. Bandwidth isn't universal. Most of my friends have 6Mbps or less, I have 18Mbps, not sure how well either will stream games. I live in South Florida, and we get hurricanes. There have been many times that my internet has been out, but my power has been on. Not much to do but play games (and school). Can't play a friend's games easily because can't check in.

4) I've never, ever, thought to pirate (current gen*) games. I always assumed that my XBox 360 or PS3 would be instabanned if I did. That's the way it should be done. Sony is taking the better route in my opinion. Let the games succeed or fail based on their DRM, don't force the choice out of it. It's basically free-market. If I don't like the DRM on a game, I don't have to buy it. Then the DRM can change. Microsoft is taking the "We have the best idea for DRM and that's how it's going to be" approach. Sony is saying "We don't know which DRM will be best, but we'll let the developers choose, and we'll work on our services".

5) PS4 has digital, that's how they can do PS3 games. Microsoft has told me that my XBox 360 games won't work on an XBox One. I am still an avid Halo 4 player, but I'd need to keep my 360 to do that going forward. I'm not sure how this will make the XBox One more powerful, as it isn't like OnLive, where they stream the game-play to you, if I understand correctly. And even if it is, Sony is doing something similar with PS3 games. Also, what if I want to, I can stream (supported) games to my Vita.

6) I don't have either, well I have a PS2 eye toy thing, but I don't know where it is. Personally, I do not now, nor ever, want to control a game with my movements/voice/whatever else Kinect/Eye does. I see how some people do, but if games require it, then I turn it off right away. Same thing with games for my PS3 that tried to get me to use my PS3 controller's motion sensing non-sense.

7) This is one I don't see being mentioned. In my city, we have two ISP's, one limits bandwidth and is more available. The other claims to, but I haven't seen that yet. I don't want a streaming game to take my data usage. I do phone support for a certain electronics company (won't say which), and I deal with a lot of people who have to get satellite internet. That's most of the middle of the country (except for Kansas City with Google Fiber). They're limited to 40 gig a month (Hughs is 20 gig anytime, and 20 gig between 2am and 8am). I don't see how streaming games on that would work.

*I have attempted to "jailbreak" my Vita to play my NES/SNES, as the current NES on it is choppy.

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm quote IGN's Ryan McCaffrey

Ryan McCaffrey @DMC_Ryan
Again, not defending MS, but theyre not afraid to drag people kicking &screaming into the future. Remember XBL being broadband-only in 2002?

That's all I got really. I have gripes on Infamous looking angsty, but that's my only favorite Sony exclusive. Everything else is gobs of gravy for me on XONE. :)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm quote IGN's Ryan McCaffrey

That's all I got really. I have gripes on Infamous looking angsty, but that's my only favorite Sony exclusive. Everything else is gobs of gravy for me on XONE. :)

And kicking and screaming they are.

But seriously, not everyone is ready for the future. And that's OKAY.

People need to stop thinking that they have no choice. They do have a choice. If they aren't ready for pure digital content, then they can get a PS4. It's perfectly fine.

But I wish they would stop trying to ruin it for the rest of us that ARE ready.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Will all the limits of the X1, I will end up with both but, if PS4 does not put as much DRM on games and the game come out for both systems, I will buy the game for the PS4. Then I know I can go on ebay or other place and buy a used game. When it comes down the real life, I cant blow $60 on every game that comes out, so a game for the PS4 every once and a while a month old for $30 seems good to me. It's just less money in MS's pocket and it's their own fault for forcing DRM on all games when not all devs want it.

In the real world, after all the bad press and reaction from gamers worldwide on this DRM issue, How many companies do you acutally think will force DRM on their games?

Personally, I'll end up with both at some point because after all, it is ALL ABOUT THE GAMES...

People need to stop thinking that they have no choice. They do have a choice. If they aren't ready for pure digital content, then they can get a PS4. It's perfectly fine.

But I wish they would stop trying to ruin it for the rest of us that ARE ready.

Just because your ok with it, does not mean about 50% of the global gamers dont have an issue with it. Anyway about it, a lot of people should have an issue with Microsoft telling you when and how you can play your game after spending $500 on a system and $60+ on a game.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Will all the limits of the X1, I will end up with both but, if PS4 does not put as much DRM on games and the game come out for both systems, I will buy the game for the PS4. Then I know I can go on ebay or other place and buy a used game. When it comes down the real life, I cant blow $60 on every game that comes out, so a game for the PS4 every once and a while a month old for $30 seems good to me. It's just less money in MS's pocket and it's their own fault for forcing DRM on all games when not all devs want it.

In the real world, after all the bad press and reaction from gamers worldwide on this DRM issue, How many companies do you acutally think will force DRM on their games?

Personally, I'll end up with both at some point because after all, it is ALL ABOUT THE GAMES...

Sorry man. That post is just all kinds of wrong. Buying your used games for PS4 at half price wont be putting money in MS pocket but it wont be putting money in the developers pockets either and seriously there isn't a developer out there that doesn't want some form of DRM - they all want paying and none of them want ripping off or being pirated - yeah theres a handful that will always find ways to hack and bend the rules to be cheap, petty criminals. But if the Xbox One follows Steam but adds the bonus of the used game format with money back to devs and it works... how many developers aren't going to want to use what MS are pushing. Steam format but with a resale value that puts the money back in the pockets of the people that should have it. Either PS4 will follow suit in some form or they just wont have any devs making games for them.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry man. That post is just all kinds of wrong. Buying your used games for PS4 at half price wont be putting money in MS pocket but it wont be putting money in the developers pockets either and seriously there isn't a developer out there that doesn't want some form of DRM - they all want paying and none of them want ripping off or being pirated - yeah theres a handful that will always find ways to hack and bend the rules to be cheap, petty criminals. But if the Xbox One follows Steam but adds the bonus of the used game format with money back to devs and it works... how many developers aren't going to want to use what MS are pushing. Steam format but with a resale value that puts the money back in the pockets of the people that should have it. Either PS4 will follow suit in some form or they just wont have any devs making games for them.

I never said I buy all my games used, I dont. Most I will run to the store to buy and never sell them. I DO time to time buy a used game that I would not be willing to pay $60 for. Out of 10 games I buy, maybe 2-4 are used but, normally less. If Microsoft follows a Steam type model, where a 30ish day old game drops to $30-45, I would not see a need for used games any more.

Last year between Xbox 360, PC, PS3, Vita and 3DS, I picked 72 games(yep, I had a spreadsheet), for myself. 85-90% were new. How many did you buy ?

I stand by my case as I said and there is NOTHING wrong with what I said, I can't spend $60 on every game that comes out. If games come out for both systems, no DRM on that game for PS4, I will pick that game up on the PS4, If it's not a top game, I might try to save a little on it, so a month old game for $30-45 used is the best option, UNLESS MS/Sony does something to bring prices down.

So, Yes, If I buy more games for the PS4, it will be less Money in MS's pocket..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro