Why preorder count is flawed

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So far preorder comparisons show that PS4 is outpacing Xbox One. I'm sure that this is true, but the calculations are flawed.

So far according to Amazon, Walmart, and BestBuy (Top 3 retailers):
For every 3 PS4's purchased, 2 Xbox One's are purchased.
The crucial detail that is missing from this analysis: You can preorder an Xbox One directly from Microsoft. You cannot preorder a PS4 directly from Sony.

I preordered my Xbox One from the Microsoft Store and I'm sure a lot of other people did the same. Until Microsoft releases numbers from their own internal preorders, all preorder information is irrelevant.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Also, when I tried pre-ordering a day one edition from Amazon, they were not available, but last I checked they were. I ended up going to a Gamestop to pre-order, then spent 10 minutes listening to the employees rant about DRM and the fact that Microsoft is doomed to fail before asking me what I needed..."I would like to pre-order the doomed Xbox One please." With a smile of course.

I imagine the fact that Amazon had that window of unavailability did push many with interest directly to Microsoft for the pre-order. I would have if not for the fact that there is not a MS store anywhere near me.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Also, when I tried pre-ordering a day one edition from Amazon, they were not available, but last I checked they were. I ended up going to a Gamestop to pre-order, then spent 10 minutes listening to the employees rant about DRM and the fact that Microsoft is doomed to fail before asking me what I needed..."I would like to pre-order the doomed Xbox One please." With a smile of course.

I imagine the fact that Amazon had that window of unavailability did push many with interest directly to Microsoft for the pre-order. I would have if not for the fact that there is not a MS store anywhere near me.

When I said Microsoft Store, I meant online ;)

Microsoft Store - Shopping Cart

The closest Microsoft Store to me is 2 hours away lol

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its really odd the way stores differ - The Game (UK) that I pre-ordered the One from did nothing but talk up the xbox and were shunning the PS4. They were even talking of doing a midnight launch special event over the weekend where users come back to the store after hours to share and play games that you have bought with other people in the store

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Personally i reckon ps4 is out pre ordering xbox1 right now. But i reckon if ms actually gets their pr in order, still everything to play for in terms of launch.

Obviously after launch window, everything is definitely wide open.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Will also be interesting to find out which of the two consoles has the most stock ready for launch.
The unfortunate part about it is that we will probably never know. The first company to run completely out of stock will be the first on the rooftops to proclaim they are sold out... despite how much stock they have. They won't say "sold out" though. They will talk about "unprecedented demand" and "limited supply" and "working as hard as we can to replenish stock before (Black Friday, Christmas, etc) so that everybody who wants one can enjoy the most advanced console ever made in history"

Retailers will be quick to point out that they've sold out. Gamestop, from reports on their obvious preorder bias, will shove everyone out of the way to be able to be the first to say that PS4 has sold out. The actual limited stock that a Gamestop physical location can have on hand is going to be low anyway, for both consoles. This retail "front" of the war (for PR superiority) will be waged mostly via online retail powerhouse websites...

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Look! i'm the PC guy here. but i see people in this forum still defending Xbox One because you think everyone has internet connection. it's sad... it literally mean you guys exclude poor people who can only afford one or two game for a while and the oversea people. i used to have a PS2 before and it's kinda fun to able to take it with you anywhere and just plug and play. INTERNET IS THE FUTURE but we are not ready yet... anyway just my two cents PS4 or Xbox One it's ur choice..

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Look! i'm the PC guy here. but i see people in this forum still defending Xbox One because you think everyone has internet connection. it's sad... it literally mean you guys exclude poor people who can only afford one or two game for a while and the oversea people. i used to have a PS2 before and it's kinda fun to able to take it with you anywhere and just plug and play. INTERNET IS THE FUTURE but we are not ready yet... anyway just my two cents PS4 or Xbox One it's ur choice..

I don't think everyone has internet. But I do think it's stupid that those people are complaining when they have the option to buy a different product.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the limited quantity of the Limited edition Day One XBox One is also messing with the numbers. I haven't gone back to the GameStop where I preordered, but when I went on Monday, they said they were only gauranteed 14... and asside from employees preordering it, I was the first non-employee customer to preorder from them... Granted I was Johny on the spot... Called in sick to work, watched the event and went to GameStop as soon as the notification email went out.

Zokudu

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site

Poor people who can shell out $600 for the actual console and a game? A PS2 was $99 for at least 7 years now.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the limited quantity of the Limited edition Day One XBox One is also messing with the numbers. I haven't gone back to the GameStop where I preordered, but when I went on Monday, they said they were only gauranteed 14... and asside from employees preordering it, I was the first non-employee customer to preorder from them... Granted I was Johny on the spot... Called in sick to work, watched the event and went to GameStop as soon as the notification email went out.
Somehow I dont think that's it. Each store is going to have a low amount of consoles physically in-store anyway. Amazon sold out of Day One consoles, then sold Standard Edition consoles, then I read of people getting emails that their Standard consoles were upgraded to Day One, and yesterday the only available option I saw on Amazon was for Day One edition consoles.

Plus, Microsoft is still advertising (Xbox.com) of Day One consoles available for preorder at the Microsoft Store online.

MFmonster

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
@phing "Internet is the future"? I have been using the internet for over 20 years. I think I understand what you are trying to convey though. Are you are trying to point out that the majority of the world population does not have access or does not utilize this thing we call the internet?

I think the focus on the cloud and having the console connected to the internet it what makes the Xbox One great. BUT, I think there should be another option for those that want to play an Xbox one without the internet. The one thing MS failed at in my opinoin is the 100% requirement that the console needs to "check in" once every 24 hours to continue playing games. The consumer that does not utilize or have internet access would miss out on cloud storage, evolving games and worlds because of no continued access to the cloud. They would miss out on applications and other services the console will offer. That can and should be changed. Give people the option to 'only' use the machine to play a game they buy at the store. Most people that will buy the Xbox One will have internet and it really should not be an issue for most people that buy the console, but it could have saved the PR nightmare and improved sales by being a tad less rigid. Xbox One 'mini' that only plays games. No access to DLC, applications, etc, just games they buy at the store.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

You said it yourself, if you don't have internet there are other options and it is everyone's choice, nobody is forcing anyone to do anything here. Want "next gen" without the internet requirement? Sony has graciously provided the legacy path for those in this situation. Microsoft evidently feels that the "no internet available" demographic is covered well enough with the 360 that they can move forward with the next gen.

I am pretty sure that not being able to play next gen video games on a next gen console with an HDTV qualifies as a first-world problem, and would not be a concern to somebody in a third-world situation. They would probably count us all as fools for even devoting time to this discussion.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site

Poor people make me laugh. HA! HA!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss