Is Illumiroom one reason Kinect is bundled with XO?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Looking back at this video from Microsoft research, it seems like these two could go together in your living room to have more immersive gaming.

I am already predicting this to be coming out next year E3 at a price of $49.99+

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
IllumiRoom doesn't seem to have ANYTHING at all to do with Kinect being bundled. A few Microsoft execs have already stated several reasons for why they made the Kinect mandatory, and nobody has brought up IllumiRoom.. for now, it's just a project out of Microsoft Research that may or may not ever make it to market. My gosh, I HOPE it makes it to market though. This would be a fantastic accessory!

I imagine Oculus Rift will be out with several games for it well before IllumiRoom comes out :p Not that Oculus is by any means a replacement, just a different type of consumption media for video games.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You'd need a powerful projector solution for this, you are not going to see a 50$ product, but Illumiroom looks very fitting for the Kinect Glasses, instead of projecting stuff onto the walls, it's just on the glasses, cheaper, more features and more realistic to actually be a product. Kinect Glasses is supposed to be coming in 2014 if the project wasn't scrapped.

anon(5379091)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ancient men: Hey Keith, we've discovered fire !

Keith W: Meh, I don't plan to use that.

On topic: Maybe MS don't say a thing about Illumiroom yet because of strategy. You know, companies don't usually like to give the competition any clue about what they plan to do in a long term.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ancient men: Hey Keith, we've discovered fire !

Keith W: Meh, I don't plan to use that.

On topic: Maybe MS don't say a thing about Illumiroom yet because of strategy. You know, companies don't usually like to give the competition any clue about what they plan to do in a long term.

If that was the case, they never would have announced it, no?

As for the unfunny joke--no, this would be like if cave men (in a community with a housing market) told you that if you wished to buy a house, you had to buy access to fire, even if you didn't need it.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
As for the unfunny joke--no, this would be like if cave men (in a community with a housing market) told you that if you wished to buy a house, you had to buy access to fire, even if you didn't need it.
Semantics? I actually thought you were commenting on not being interested in IllumiRoom. Made more sense to me that way :p

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Semantics? I actually thought you were commenting on not being interested in IllumiRoom. Made more sense to me that way :p

No, I was more stating that IllumiRoom as the reason for the Kinect doesn't change my displeasure of not being able to buy the console without the Kinect. IllumiRoom seems interesting, but I'd find it REALLY ridiculous if Microsoft was bundling the Kinect for a feature with no real hard information or a release date for it. Imagine if they released the Xbox One and said "games coming soon."

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
IllumiRoom seems interesting, but I'd find it REALLY ridiculous if Microsoft was bundling the Kinect for a feature with no real hard information or a release date for it. Imagine if they released the Xbox One and said "games coming soon."
lol, good point. That would be a disaster.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Everyone is forgetting Kinect is a product that's stationed pointing towards you. For Illumiroom to work, there needs to be a secondary Kinect, or a wireless Kinect to be able to read the room from where the projector is showing. So basically, there's probably a Kinect 3 being developed that has a projector and wireless capability.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Everyone is forgetting Kinect is a product that's stationed pointing towards you. For Illumiroom to work, there needs to be a secondary Kinect, or a wireless Kinect to be able to read the room from where the projector is showing. So basically, there's probably a Kinect 3 being developed that has a projector and wireless capability.

Wouldn't say a Kinect 3 - It would have to be a projector mounted at high level a certain distance from the tv linked by wifi direct. There isn't any way I can conceive of it working otherwise

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't say a Kinect 3 - It would have to be a projector mounted at high level a certain distance from the tv linked by wifi direct. There isn't any way I can conceive of it working otherwise

It was stated somewhere, from Microsoft I believe, that the new Kinect already supports Wifi-Direct.

If that is the case the only thing needed would be a projector, and realistically Microsoft would be able to let you use whatever projector you wanted to use. The projector would just have to support Wifi-Display/Miracast, and then the Illumiroom setup is complete.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I cant get my tiny little mind around it.

It couldn't be just any projector as it would have to adjust to tv screen size so your not projecting the image on to varying size TV's, any slight change in tv position or having the projector not aligned properly would just cause a double picture.

Its an amazing idea but would it be something developers would have to code for? If so it just makes it like the original Kinect with only a handful of games possibly taking advantage.

Personally I would love to have it - although it would mean completely re-arranging my front room with possibly a bit of rewiring and maybe some plumbing.

Would actually prefer some of these at work though over illumiroom at home.

Microsoft Research shows off see-through 3D display, Holoreflector, IllumiShare | ExtremeTech

MS research rocks.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I cant get my tiny little mind around it.

It couldn't be just any projector as it would have to adjust to tv screen size so your not projecting the image on to varying size TV's, any slight change in tv position or having the projector not aligned properly would just cause a double picture.

Its an amazing idea but would it be something developers would have to code for? If so it just makes it like the original Kinect with only a handful of games possibly taking advantage.

Personally I would love to have it - although it would mean completely re-arranging my front room with possibly a bit of rewiring and maybe some plumbing.

Would actually prefer some of these at work though over illumiroom at home.

Microsoft Research shows off see-through 3D display, Holoreflector, IllumiShare | ExtremeTech

MS research rocks.

That's what the Kinect is used for Martin. The Kinect sits back next to the projector and detects where the TV is and where other objects are along the wall.

It calculates where the TV is and it doesn't display an image there. It detects where the objects are and calculates how to display a flat-looking image across the non-flat objects.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That's what the Kinect is used for Martin. The Kinect sits back next to the projector and detects where the TV is and where other objects are along the wall.

It calculates where the TV is and it doesn't display an image there. It detects where the objects are and calculates how to display a flat-looking image across the non-flat objects.

Just for proof, here is a picture of the actual setup Microsoft is using (They stated it's a normal projector you can purchase right now):

illumiroom-prototype.jpg

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Still don't get it. Either im miss-understanding you or the 3 chicken breasts I just had for lunch is shutting my brain down. Here's my thought process.

Kinects natural position is to sit either on top of or in front of the TV meaning it cant tell what's behind it or 90degress off to either side
Projector would have to be pointing at tv from above and behind you as most projectors do now
Projector would have to pass info to Kinect so it can see itself and surrounding walls and pass off necessary image calcs to the xbox to be pushed back out by the projector.

Now correct me if im wrong but I didn't think projectors were that intelligent yet - or were talking about moving the Kinect to a position behind us to get the image of the tv and surrounding walls and furniture so it can just feed the projector with direct data - if that's the case moving the Kinect for each illumiroom game would be a pain in the ***, unless of course the Kinect isn't hardwired to the xbox one and its own power source.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd imagine, if IllumiRoom comes to market, it'll be its own projector with a kinect in it - to alleviate the problem of moving the original kinect around your room...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel