Is Illumiroom one reason Kinect is bundled with XO?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd imagine, if IllumiRoom comes to market, it'll be its own projector with a kinect in it - to alleviate the problem of moving the original kinect around your room...

Yeah that's pretty obvious - my brain has definitely shut down after all that chicken -*facepalm*-

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok so my last paragraph was correct then - having to move the Kinect each time just doesn't make much sense

I'd imagine, if IllumiRoom comes to market, it'll be its own projector with a kinect in it - to alleviate the problem of moving the original kinect around your room...

While a separate Kinect is optimal, the point was simply that it's not needed.

After the initial scan, the Kinect could be moved back to it's normal position by the console, facing towards you. After the initial scan, the Kinect wouldn't be needed anymore because the TV screen doesn't move and neither do the objects in front of the wall. The Kinect is only used for the initial scan, and nothing else.

If something moves and it needs to be recalibrated, then you would just need to move the Kinect again for a second and calibrate it.

A separate Kinect is the most practical, but it's not necessarily needed. It just adds convenience.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
That's true Robert - what I'd imagine would be something like this -

If you have a projector already - just move your kinect - scan, move it back and you're good to go.

If you don't have a projector already - well buy the IllumiRoom projector from Microsoft - which includes a kinect like sensor to capture your room - and you're good to go! Plus, you don't need to move your kinect!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's true Robert - what I'd imagine would be something like this -

If you have a projector already - just move your kinect - scan, move it back and you're good to go.

If you don't have a projector already - well buy the IllumiRoom projector from Microsoft - which includes a kinect like sensor to capture your room - and you're good to go! Plus, you don't need to move your kinect!

Its all semantics anyway - they release this im first in line.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just for proof, here is a picture of the actual setup Microsoft is using (They stated it's a normal projector you can purchase right now):

View attachment 35991

Just wish they would release the software for it. You can buy a 720p projector used (less than 1K on the lamp) on ebay for under $300 and a standard Kinect(extra just for this use) ? $25-50. Then combined with some software and a update you could do it.

Sad to say, it wont hit the market. It might be too complex for people to setup. Even if they were to sell it as a kit with projector, kinect, etc, it would be $500+ never mind what you would need to mount it or put it on a Tripod to run it. Then you have the fact that LCD (affordable) projectors lamps have a life around 2000-4000 hours(based on how bright it's set). A replacement lamp is around $150-350. Most people would want to watch TV off the projector, lowering the life of the lamp.

Someone who is a fairly heavy gamer, could have to replace the lamp every 3-6 months, something that is not cheap or under warranty. Nevermind the costs of $500+ over the cost of the console is not going to sell very well (accept to the hardcore gamers) there for the lack of support for it.

Microsoft hardware is about easy setup for it's products, this would not be easy for the adverage person, so you'll never see it... I do wish they would release a SDK or something for hobbiests to work with it and use it, so if we wanted to Attempt to do it, we could but, we also could not see mainstream software support for it if that happens.

Anyway about it, it's doomed for a pubic release and that just totaly s.u.c.k.s.

The thing is, this is a very cool item and a release even for $500, I would be on the waiting list for it, that just could make games epic...

I cant get my tiny little mind around it.

It couldn't be just any projector as it would have to adjust to tv screen size so your not projecting the image on to varying size TV's, any slight change in tv position or having the projector not aligned properly would just cause a double picture.

MS research rocks.

Yea, it could, ALMOST. It would have to be a HD projector of some time with a higher res but, it could work off almost any projector (a 80's 480i projector might not work but, it could)The Kinect would line it up so it works with any screen, you could have a 13" or a 70" if the projector was at the right distance, it would work. A simple test paternt to calabrate it would sove this issue.

And yea, MS research does rock, they have show a lot of cool stuff over the years..

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Although from the picture it looks like a Kinect v1. People that already invested in a Kinect will likely no longer use it for the 360 if they have an xbox one - So all they would need is a basic projector and the software and be good to go.

I did wonder what I was going to do with my Kinect v1 once xbox one is in my front room with Kinect v2. :wink:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's too bad. I think we'll see that tech again. Just not a feasible product right now.

Yeah - Although if you already had a gen1 Kinect spare from a redundant 360 and you already owned a projector what's to stop someone from setting one up and asking MS for a license to the software?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah - Although if you already had a gen1 Kinect spare from a redundant 360 and you already owned a projector what's to stop someone from setting one up and asking MS for a license to the software?

Maybe we'll get lucky and they will sell it as a DEV kit. A box that you connect a Kinect, a projector and mount in a way to use with your Xbox one. If they sell it as a dev kit, they are selling it as a unsupported item, as it could work but, Ms wont help you on the setup. No question it's going to need hardware to work but, if it's over wireless to the xbox one and a small board to connect everything...one word... E P I C

I would be all over, this would be open source projects to the MAX because I would think everyone would want to try this if they had the hardware or the funds for the hardware.

Sad to say, from the first time seeing this, I knew it would never hit the market because of the cost and ease of setup (Not cheap and could be hard to setup). I want this so bad, this would be epic and even if it cost a few hundred before the projector and Kinect, I would be all over it...

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe we'll get lucky and they will sell it as a DEV kit. A box that you connect a Kinect, a projector and mount in a way to use with your Xbox one. If they sell it as a dev kit, they are selling it as a unsupported item, as it could work but, Ms wont help you on the setup. No question it's going to need hardware to work but, if it's over wireless to the xbox one and a small board to connect everything...one word... E P I C

I would be all over, this would be open source projects to the MAX because I would think everyone would want to try this if they had the hardware or the funds for the hardware.

Sad to say, from the first time seeing this, I knew it would never hit the market because of the cost and ease of setup (Not cheap and could be hard to setup). I want this so bad, this would be epic and even if it cost a few hundred before the projector and Kinect, I would be all over it...

I may well think about making some enquiries after the xbox one gets released - im not going to be using my Kinect from my 360 and I have a projector at home as well. if its a case of paying a couple of hundred for a board that makes it all work then im all for that.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I may well think about making some enquiries after the xbox one gets released - im not going to be using my Kinect from my 360 and I have a projector at home as well. if its a case of paying a couple of hundred for a board that makes it all work then im all for that.

Same here, got a nice little 720p projector that I only use for special things and Kinect, would love it but, I would not count on it.

I even tweeted majornelson on it....might as well plant the seed...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro