09-02-2013 01:44 PM
32 12
tools
    Looking back at this video from Microsoft research, it seems like these two could go together in your living room to have more immersive gaming.

I am already predicting this to be coming out next year E3 at a price of $49.99+

06-14-2013 05:47 PM
    IllumiRoom doesn't seem to have ANYTHING at all to do with Kinect being bundled. A few Microsoft execs have already stated several reasons for why they made the Kinect mandatory, and nobody has brought up IllumiRoom.. for now, it's just a project out of Microsoft Research that may or may not ever make it to market. My gosh, I HOPE it makes it to market though. This would be a fantastic accessory!

I imagine Oculus Rift will be out with several games for it well before IllumiRoom comes out :P Not that Oculus is by any means a replacement, just a different type of consumption media for video games.
    06-14-2013 07:39 PM
    You'd need a powerful projector solution for this, you are not going to see a 50$ product, but Illumiroom looks very fitting for the Kinect Glasses, instead of projecting stuff onto the walls, it's just on the glasses, cheaper, more features and more realistic to actually be a product. Kinect Glasses is supposed to be coming in 2014 if the project wasn't scrapped.
    06-14-2013 07:55 PM
    Even if it was the reason, can't say I care. It's not something I plan to use.
    06-14-2013 11:33 PM
    Even if it was the reason, can't say I care. It's not something I plan to use.
    Thanks for the comment. I was dying to know what you thought of this ;)
    DavidinCT likes this.
    06-15-2013 12:16 AM
    Ancient men: Hey Keith, we've discovered fire !

Keith W: Meh, I don't plan to use that.

On topic: Maybe MS don't say a thing about Illumiroom yet because of strategy. You know, companies don't usually like to give the competition any clue about what they plan to do in a long term.
    06-15-2013 02:45 AM
    Side note: Microsoft research projects churn out some amazing tech!

The original kinnect with the AI kid was epic.
    06-15-2013 02:52 AM
    Ancient men: Hey Keith, we've discovered fire !

Keith W: Meh, I don't plan to use that.

On topic: Maybe MS don't say a thing about Illumiroom yet because of strategy. You know, companies don't usually like to give the competition any clue about what they plan to do in a long term.
    If that was the case, they never would have announced it, no?

As for the unfunny joke--no, this would be like if cave men (in a community with a housing market) told you that if you wished to buy a house, you had to buy access to fire, even if you didn't need it.
    06-15-2013 12:05 PM
    As for the unfunny joke--no, this would be like if cave men (in a community with a housing market) told you that if you wished to buy a house, you had to buy access to fire, even if you didn't need it.
    Semantics? I actually thought you were commenting on not being interested in IllumiRoom. Made more sense to me that way :P
    06-15-2013 12:21 PM
    Semantics? I actually thought you were commenting on not being interested in IllumiRoom. Made more sense to me that way :P
    No, I was more stating that IllumiRoom as the reason for the Kinect doesn't change my displeasure of not being able to buy the console without the Kinect. IllumiRoom seems interesting, but I'd find it REALLY ridiculous if Microsoft was bundling the Kinect for a feature with no real hard information or a release date for it. Imagine if they released the Xbox One and said "games coming soon."
    06-15-2013 12:25 PM
    IllumiRoom seems interesting, but I'd find it REALLY ridiculous if Microsoft was bundling the Kinect for a feature with no real hard information or a release date for it. Imagine if they released the Xbox One and said "games coming soon."
    lol, good point. That would be a disaster.
    06-15-2013 12:49 PM
    Everyone is forgetting Kinect is a product that's stationed pointing towards you. For Illumiroom to work, there needs to be a secondary Kinect, or a wireless Kinect to be able to read the room from where the projector is showing. So basically, there's probably a Kinect 3 being developed that has a projector and wireless capability.
    06-15-2013 01:00 PM
    Everyone is forgetting Kinect is a product that's stationed pointing towards you. For Illumiroom to work, there needs to be a secondary Kinect, or a wireless Kinect to be able to read the room from where the projector is showing. So basically, there's probably a Kinect 3 being developed that has a projector and wireless capability.
    Wouldn't say a Kinect 3 - It would have to be a projector mounted at high level a certain distance from the tv linked by wifi direct. There isn't any way I can conceive of it working otherwise
    06-19-2013 07:40 AM
    Wouldn't say a Kinect 3 - It would have to be a projector mounted at high level a certain distance from the tv linked by wifi direct. There isn't any way I can conceive of it working otherwise
    It was stated somewhere, from Microsoft I believe, that the new Kinect already supports Wifi-Direct.

If that is the case the only thing needed would be a projector, and realistically Microsoft would be able to let you use whatever projector you wanted to use. The projector would just have to support Wifi-Display/Miracast, and then the Illumiroom setup is complete.
    06-19-2013 08:40 AM
    I cant get my tiny little mind around it.

It couldn't be just any projector as it would have to adjust to tv screen size so your not projecting the image on to varying size TV's, any slight change in tv position or having the projector not aligned properly would just cause a double picture.

Its an amazing idea but would it be something developers would have to code for? If so it just makes it like the original Kinect with only a handful of games possibly taking advantage.

Personally I would love to have it - although it would mean completely re-arranging my front room with possibly a bit of rewiring and maybe some plumbing.

Would actually prefer some of these at work though over illumiroom at home.

Microsoft Research shows off see-through 3D display, Holoreflector, IllumiShare | ExtremeTech

MS research rocks.
    06-19-2013 09:01 AM

It couldn't be just any projector as it would have to adjust to tv screen size so your not projecting the image on to varying size TV's, any slight change in tv position or having the projector not aligned properly would just cause a double picture.

Its an amazing idea but would it be something developers would have to code for? If so it just makes it like the original Kinect with only a handful of games possibly taking advantage.

Personally I would love to have it - although it would mean completely re-arranging my front room with possibly a bit of rewiring and maybe some plumbing.

Would actually prefer some of these at work though over illumiroom at home.

Microsoft Research shows off see-through 3D display, Holoreflector, IllumiShare | ExtremeTech

MS research rocks.
    That's what the Kinect is used for Martin. The Kinect sits back next to the projector and detects where the TV is and where other objects are along the wall.

It calculates where the TV is and it doesn't display an image there. It detects where the objects are and calculates how to display a flat-looking image across the non-flat objects.
    06-19-2013 09:11 AM
    That's what the Kinect is used for Martin. The Kinect sits back next to the projector and detects where the TV is and where other objects are along the wall.

It calculates where the TV is and it doesn't display an image there. It detects where the objects are and calculates how to display a flat-looking image across the non-flat objects.
    Just for proof, here is a picture of the actual setup Microsoft is using (They stated it's a normal projector you can purchase right now):

illumiroom-prototype.jpg
    06-19-2013 09:22 AM

Still don't get it. Either im miss-understanding you or the 3 chicken breasts I just had for lunch is shutting my brain down. Here's my thought process.

Kinects natural position is to sit either on top of or in front of the TV meaning it cant tell what's behind it or 90degress off to either side
    Projector would have to be pointing at tv from above and behind you as most projectors do now
    Projector would have to pass info to Kinect so it can see itself and surrounding walls and pass off necessary image calcs to the xbox to be pushed back out by the projector.

Now correct me if im wrong but I didn't think projectors were that intelligent yet - or were talking about moving the Kinect to a position behind us to get the image of the tv and surrounding walls and furniture so it can just feed the projector with direct data - if that's the case moving the Kinect for each illumiroom game would be a pain in the ***, unless of course the Kinect isn't hardwired to the xbox one and its own power source.
    06-19-2013 09:34 AM
    Just for proof, here is a picture of the actual setup Microsoft is using (They stated it's a normal projector you can purchase right now):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illumiroom-prototype.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	35991
    Ok so my last paragraph was correct then - having to move the Kinect each time just doesn't make much sense
    06-19-2013 09:35 AM
    I'd imagine, if IllumiRoom comes to market, it'll be its own projector with a kinect in it - to alleviate the problem of moving the original kinect around your room...
    06-19-2013 09:37 AM
    I'd imagine, if IllumiRoom comes to market, it'll be its own projector with a kinect in it - to alleviate the problem of moving the original kinect around your room...
    Yeah that's pretty obvious - my brain has definitely shut down after all that chicken -*facepalm*-
    06-19-2013 09:45 AM
    Ok so my last paragraph was correct then - having to move the Kinect each time just doesn't make much sense
    While a separate Kinect is optimal, the point was simply that it's not needed.

After the initial scan, the Kinect could be moved back to it's normal position by the console, facing towards you. After the initial scan, the Kinect wouldn't be needed anymore because the TV screen doesn't move and neither do the objects in front of the wall. The Kinect is only used for the initial scan, and nothing else.

If something moves and it needs to be recalibrated, then you would just need to move the Kinect again for a second and calibrate it.

A separate Kinect is the most practical, but it's not necessarily needed. It just adds convenience.
    06-19-2013 09:47 AM
    That's true Robert - what I'd imagine would be something like this -

If you have a projector already - just move your kinect - scan, move it back and you're good to go.

If you don't have a projector already - well buy the IllumiRoom projector from Microsoft - which includes a kinect like sensor to capture your room - and you're good to go! Plus, you don't need to move your kinect!
    Robert Carpenter likes this.
    06-19-2013 10:19 AM
    That's true Robert - what I'd imagine would be something like this -

If you have a projector already - just move your kinect - scan, move it back and you're good to go.

If you don't have a projector already - well buy the IllumiRoom projector from Microsoft - which includes a kinect like sensor to capture your room - and you're good to go! Plus, you don't need to move your kinect!
    Its all semantics anyway - they release this im first in line.
    ncxcstud and DavidinCT like this.
    06-19-2013 11:24 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illumiroom-prototype.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	35991

Just wish they would release the software for it. You can buy a 720p projector used (less than 1K on the lamp) on ebay for under $300 and a standard Kinect(extra just for this use) ? $25-50. Then combined with some software and a update you could do it.

Sad to say, it wont hit the market. It might be too complex for people to setup. Even if they were to sell it as a kit with projector, kinect, etc, it would be $500+ never mind what you would need to mount it or put it on a Tripod to run it. Then you have the fact that LCD (affordable) projectors lamps have a life around 2000-4000 hours(based on how bright it's set). A replacement lamp is around $150-350. Most people would want to watch TV off the projector, lowering the life of the lamp.

Someone who is a fairly heavy gamer, could have to replace the lamp every 3-6 months, something that is not cheap or under warranty. Nevermind the costs of $500+ over the cost of the console is not going to sell very well (accept to the hardcore gamers) there for the lack of support for it.

Microsoft hardware is about easy setup for it's products, this would not be easy for the adverage person, so you'll never see it... I do wish they would release a SDK or something for hobbiests to work with it and use it, so if we wanted to Attempt to do it, we could but, we also could not see mainstream software support for it if that happens.

Anyway about it, it's doomed for a pubic release and that just totaly s.u.c.k.s.

The thing is, this is a very cool item and a release even for $500, I would be on the waiting list for it, that just could make games epic...

MS research rocks.
    Yea, it could, ALMOST. It would have to be a HD projector of some time with a higher res but, it could work off almost any projector (a 80's 480i projector might not work but, it could)The Kinect would line it up so it works with any screen, you could have a 13" or a 70" if the projector was at the right distance, it would work. A simple test paternt to calabrate it would sove this issue.

And yea, MS research does rock, they have show a lot of cool stuff over the years..
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 06-19-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    06-19-2013 11:46 AM
32 12