06-17-2013 09:57 PM
67 123
tools
    What's the problem with not wanting to use Skype? Does it not make the gaming experience worse when you are unable to buy another $60 game because you could only afford one at the moment after you had to spend an extra $100 to get a Kinect you don't want to use?

More-importantly, I shouldn't have to plug in my Kinect that I don't intend to use because you want to use Skype any more than you should have to unplug your Kinect because I don't want to use Skype.

My suggestion is to allow for choice based on preferences. Your suggestion is to force everyone into what you like and want.
    06-16-2013 02:38 AM
    The thing is you won't be forced to use Skype I'm sure you can turn Skype off you just won't be able to disconnect Kinect. So the tiny minority who don't like making or receiving Skype calls won't have too.
    Or just don't buy an X1.
    Microsoft wants everyone to have Skype right there on their television. Its obvious what they are trying to do. If you really don't like it just don't buy, vote with your wallet. I really can't see Microsoft changing their policies on always on Kinect and really hope they don't as I love the idea.
    06-16-2013 02:46 AM
    I can understand both sites of this discussion. For one, Kinect 1 presented some major ideas before hand (Im thinking about the admwith that kid playing larate and his sister dressing up) but in the end nothing really exciting came to end users. On the other hand, forcing everyone to have a Kinect ensures developers that everyone has the added functionality. Till now they had to think about which functions they realise, so people without a Kinect (quite a few) can enjoy the game the same way (or do a kinect only game and reach less people). So, if they now implement voice functions and other kinds of interacitivity it kinda gets integrated, because it'll be a big hassle without it (thats what a guy on page 1 described as his idea of integration).
    So I for my part support the decision so we can all hope for a better integration and better games as with kinect 1. Im a little cautious though, because the biggest problem with Kinect 1 (jumping hands) was the first thing I saw at the demonstration of Kinect 2 (or One, whatever). When they started to use it there hands were instantly flickering all over again. I can see that as a big downside for the 'touchcontrol' kind of interactivity.
    And while you are discussing about Skype, let me throw that in, too. I don't really like what Ms did there. MSN and Skype in my oppinion arent that integrated as they told us it would be. Both, the windows phone and the windows 8 app, have the problem that the messages appear twice on each device, on my desktop 3 times.. So you either kill the integrated messages and have to open an app to chat, you disable Notifications in the Skype App (and still get numbers on tiles and on the desktop also no call notification) or you kill the skype app completely. But thas a whole different sorry, sorry for bringing that up
    06-16-2013 08:00 AM
    I ask the question because i watched the e3 maybe 5 times this week and not one did I see them use or even show how this new Kinect would work on the new Xbox one release,,,did any gamer at e3 use the new Kinect on either the bf4 demo..nope how about on the killer instinct game....nope how about in the new cod demo.....nope you barely got to see the new Kinect do anything definitely not in the new games so why do I need one now I'll buy it later when is see more games that can use the kinect and I don't mean as a mic either that's an expensive mic I got turtle beaches for that
    06-16-2013 09:38 AM
    Hi Paul, I think Kinect will be used in those games you mentioned I just think they didn't want to show it at E3 as everyone suddenly seems to think its all Kinect and the games are ruined.
    06-16-2013 10:21 AM
    It's only $100.... Not enough for a decent diner for two
    06-16-2013 10:31 AM
    No they don't.
    06-16-2013 12:07 PM
    Hi Paul, I think Kinect will be used in those games you mentioned I just think they didn't want to show it at E3 as everyone suddenly seems to think its all Kinect and the games are ruined.
    ok I guess well see
    06-16-2013 03:25 PM
    Read an article with good point at e3 when you know (Ms) that your gonna charge 100$more because your gonna bundle it in price of Xbox why no wow factor! At e3 Xbox did nothing to let me know why the extra 100$ they demoed a fps but that was just a generic game this whole Kinect is going to be a round two of "lets wait and see" I wanted to see were my extra 100$ was going wouldn't you. now if I missed something at e3 maybe there was a game they demoed im sorry let me know which one it was so I can look it up and see how it worked with the new kinect
    06-16-2013 03:55 PM
    Project Spark
    Ryse
    Fantasia
    Crimson Dragon (I'm assuming Kinect control since it was originally designed for the first Kinect...)
    Dead Rising 3
    Forza 5

Those are all games I saw that took advantage of it
    06-16-2013 04:59 PM
    They made the right decision including it with every console, however, it would have been nice for them to include a game with the system... To help balance out the price difference.
    06-16-2013 05:25 PM
    No. No. And No.

Microsoft is telling every developer that the user has one by bundling the next generation Kinect into every Xbox One. That means the number of Kinect games will go up because every developer knows that you have one. It's a good scenario and contrary to popular belief won't turn Call of Duty into a Dance Central game anytime soon. There are a lot of useful things the new Kinect can give developers that can add to the immersive game experience.
    a5cent and sinime like this.
    06-16-2013 06:51 PM
    No. No. And No.

Microsoft is telling every developer that the user has one by bundling the next generation Kinect into every Xbox One. That means the number of Kinect games will go up because every developer knows that you have one. It's a good scenario and contrary to popular belief won't turn Call of Duty into a Dance Central game anytime soon. There are a lot of useful things the new Kinect can give developers that can add to the immersive game experience.
    I'll give it a shot it looks sweet I gave wp8 a shot im still here
    sinime likes this.
    06-16-2013 07:33 PM
    It's only $100.... Not enough for a decent diner for two
    LOL, I consider a decent dinner for two around $20-$40... But $100 for Kinect is well worth it.
    06-17-2013 12:06 AM
    Not really interested in a box in my house watching my every move for advertisers and other information gatherers.
    06-17-2013 12:15 AM
    It's like saying iMacs should have not shipped with an integrated iSight camera.
    wolfgangjr likes this.
    06-17-2013 01:30 AM
    Not really interested in a box in my house watching my every move for advertisers and other information gatherers.
    Lol. OMG. The Kinect paranoia is just absurd. You are being tracked by marketers with everything that you do. Who f'ing cares? Just enjoy the xb1. Play games and have fun. Your going to buy games because of all the marketing anyways. And if your so scared of the one eyed Cyclops then cover it with a towel.
    06-17-2013 01:48 AM
    How is the new Kinect implemented in new battlfied4,
    How about killer instinct,
    How a bout NBA 14,
    How about the new halo,
    No need for Kinect these were new realeses new Xbox one releases and none of theses games not one uses Kinect so why do I need one.... I don't , dice knew us battlefield players wont need the Kinect so no implementation same for cod ,killer instinct a so on
    So my question to all is if they sold the Kinect separately would they sell? I say not well
    Answer to all your questions, who cares. Who cares if there is kinect implemented in launch games. The whole point is if there is kinect implemented in games launched 2015-2020. You are buying future gaming here and without forcing kinect, nothing would change. Now its more probable that we will see nice and cool stuff in future (that PS4 gamers will not see). Risk is always that nobody invents anything useful for kinect, but that is risk I am ready to take. If you are not, then don't buy the machine.
    06-17-2013 01:58 AM
    Ummmm....okay.

*backs away slowly*
    06-17-2013 02:12 AM
    Just treat it like a packed-in controller like the one for the Wii U. Games have to evolve, it's been stagnant for too long apart for graphical fidelity. The PS4 is essentially a PC, the Xbox is trying to do something different. I welcome this.
    06-17-2013 06:47 AM
    Answer to all your questions, who cares. Who cares if there is kinect implemented in launch games. The whole point is if there is kinect implemented in games launched 2015-2020. You are buying future gaming here and without forcing kinect, nothing would change. Now its more probable that we will see nice and cool stuff in future (that PS4 gamers will not see). Risk is always that nobody invents anything useful for kinect, but that is risk I am ready to take. If you are not, then don't buy the machine.
    you kinda make sense and kinda not ..not to me at least you say who cares that the Kinect will even work or not maybe in about 2years or so I understand risk but why not the risk when there ready were paying 100$ more for what the future ok I'll buy it in the future im not buying the x1 for the Kinect obviously they sold the kinect separate before what happend
    06-17-2013 07:38 AM
    Microsoft havn't shown the full range of voice commands available with Kinect yet, but if they do it properly, so i can change music, or view achievements, or pop up internet explorer or youtube, all whilst in game, and do searches, then within a month, everyone will be wondering how they ever survived without kinect (or at least the mic) attached.
    vertigoOne likes this.
    06-17-2013 08:09 AM
    Personally, as an avid gamer I do see why people would want to have a cheaper Xbox One SKU that doesn't resort to having a Kinect pre-packaged, as Xbox 360's efforts with the device were mediocre at best (here's looking at you, Star Wars Kinect). However, I think that given how Microsoft handles the Kinect with the One, it can be a valuable addition to the system. That being said, perhaps giving the Kinect about a 6 month/1 year trial being mandatory would be alright before those against Kinect immediately shut the idea down. It would be as simple as saying that if the system doesn't work, don't sell the Kinect, if it does, tote it and sell it by default.
    06-17-2013 01:51 PM
    People need to realize that the Kinect is not longer considered a separate peripheral. It's integral to the design of the XBOX ONE.

It's like buying a desktop computer without a keyboard.

Consumer: But... but... I don't want a keyboard.

Salesperson: Then buy a touchscreen tablet.

Consumer: But I want the desktop PC.

Salesperson: Well, the one you want uses a keyboard.

Consumer: But I don't want a keyboard.

Salesperson: Then buy something else.

Consumer: But I don't want something else.

Salesperson: You want something that doesn't use a keyboard.

Consumer: Yes.

Salesperson: That's something else.

Consumer. No it's not. I want this desktop PC, but I don't want it to use keyboard input. Microsoft might be logging my keyboard strokes.

Salesperson: #facepalm
    Last edited by Winning Guy; 06-17-2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: changed "mouse" in second sentence to "keyboard"
    a5cent and lemonsteveo like this.
    06-17-2013 02:27 PM
    People need to realize that the Kinect is not longer considered a separate peripheral. It's integral to the design of the XBOX ONE.

It's like buying a desktop computer without a mouse.

Consumer: But... but... I don't want a keyboard.

Salesperson: Then buy a touchscreen tablet.

Consumer: But I want the desktop PC.

Salesperson: Well, the one you want uses a keyboard.

Consumer: But I don't want a keyboard.

Salesperson: Then buy something else.

Consumer: But I don't want something else.

Salesperson: You want something that doesn't use a keyboard.

Consumer: Yes.

Salesperson: That's something else.

Consumer. No it's not. I want this desktop PC, but I don't want it to use keyboard input. Microsoft might be logging my keyboard strokes.

Salesperson: #facepalm
    I get your point but if a, it only works on sum games how is it integral to Xbox one I figure when u mean integral im thinking every game that the x1 has uses the Kinect but it doesn't and I don't mean as a glorified MIC i mean really implemented but I didn't see much of that at e3 so that said for the bf4 gammer what's he gettin out of the Kinect? How about those cod guys what did Xbox one show at e3 using the Kinect that wowed those guys from reading articles from hardcore gamers from machinima they weren't totally convinced on the new Kinect let alone forced I swear I would buy it as an add on if I were to be a bit more convinced I would spend the extra 100$ but I want to see how it will work for me since I'll be the one buying it and it makes no sense on if you can turn it of meaning you a,you won't be using it ir just sitting it on the floor catching dust why is that fair to either those who will use it or those who worked hard developing it its not fair. leave it to those who will use it not just sit it in a corner and let it get ruined
    06-17-2013 03:19 PM
67 123