MS needs an Xbox one without the Kinect.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
If I tried to get family on their X1 from my phone and each one of them had their X1 disconnected I think that would make one real rubbish system.

It is frustrating when you try ring someone and their phone is switched off or they have no signal, I think everyone has been frustrated from that at one time.

Your example of phone operators making you answer your phone is a terrible comparison. I am sure a lot of Windows Phone Central posters would agree.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If I tried to get family on their X1 from my phone and each one of them had their X1 disconnected I think that would make one real rubbish system.

It is frustrating when you try ring someone and their phone is switched off or they have no signal, I think everyone has been frustrated from that at one time.

Your example of phone operators making you answer your phone is a terrible comparison. I am sure a lot of Windows Phone Central posters would agree.

How about instead of just saying "a terrible comparison," you state why? Both scenarios are your attempt to make a connection to speak with someone, with the hypothetical scenario being that the person would be unreachable. You want to fix one by requiring a connection be made, why not the other? You're just so used to phones not working that way and the availability of voice mail (something that Skype COULD have, mind you), that you automatically dismiss it as outrageous, in my opinion.

As I said, both are basically missed phone calls. However, if you want a more-direct comparison, what happens if you try to Skype someone on the PC or a smartphone and the person doesn't respond? I imagine that's EXACTLY how the Xbox would react, and is that some egregious problem now? Or DOES it force a reply to call on Skype (never used it, so I don't know). I'm just wondering:

1. How is it different (Skype from phone and Xbox Skype from non-Xbox Skype)?
2. What's wrong with the suggestion I made of a voice-only connection (if the person has a mic)?

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
So having all X1s not needing their kinects plugged in wouldn't make the Skype experience worse?
Its obvious it would make it poor if 60% didn't even have theirs connected.
If every single PC and every single phone had Skype and every console had it to that would make a superb communication tool. At the moment that scenario doesn't exist but one day it might and the X1 is the very start. Every tv may have Skype one day.
What's the problem with Microsoft trying to reach that goal.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So having all X1s not needing their kinects plugged in wouldn't make the Skype experience worse?
Its obvious it would make it poor if 60% didn't even have theirs connected.
If every single PC and every single phone had Skype and every console had it to that would make a superb communication tool. At the moment that scenario doesn't exist but one day it might and the X1 is the very start. Every tv may have Skype one day.
What's the problem with Microsoft trying to reach that goal.

What's the problem with not wanting to use Skype? Does it not make the gaming experience worse when you are unable to buy another $60 game because you could only afford one at the moment after you had to spend an extra $100 to get a Kinect you don't want to use?

More-importantly, I shouldn't have to plug in my Kinect that I don't intend to use because you want to use Skype any more than you should have to unplug your Kinect because I don't want to use Skype.

My suggestion is to allow for choice based on preferences. Your suggestion is to force everyone into what you like and want.

Watupfoo09

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I think having the Kinect bundled was actually a smart move. Now that everyone has a Kinect it can become a priority feature and developers will add Kinect support in games, and more games will be developed because EVERYONE with an X1 will have one. The Xbox 360 Kinect failed because everybody did not have one. So when shopping for a game, gamers would just skip over the Kinect games on the shelf. Now even if you don't want a Kinect game people would actually look through them and may find something they like.

Also playing the Kinect will be better on the X1 because the system was built for it. I own the original Kinect and I rarely use it. Now that it isn't a choice I will use it more and ma like it all over again. Also (even though I prefer a turtlebeaches) gamers playing games like COD would have no excuse not to talk, especially in league play when talking is almost required. Now every gamer would have access to a mic from day one and it will have to be plugged in to operate the X1. And the mic will be way better than the 360 kinect's mic.

In my opinion I think people should stop complaining about the price, and how they don't want a Kinect when they never gave it a shot or even seen what it can do. Obviously being integrated in the system and not just an add on will make it a ton better than the original.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
What's the problem with not wanting to use Skype? Does it not make the gaming experience worse when you are unable to buy another $60 game because you could only afford one at the moment after you had to spend an extra $100 to get a Kinect you don't want to use?

More-importantly, I shouldn't have to plug in my Kinect that I don't intend to use because you want to use Skype any more than you should have to unplug your Kinect because I don't want to use Skype.

My suggestion is to allow for choice based on preferences. Your suggestion is to force everyone into what you like and want.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The thing is you won't be forced to use Skype I'm sure you can turn Skype off you just won't be able to disconnect Kinect. So the tiny minority who don't like making or receiving Skype calls won't have too.
Or just don't buy an X1.
Microsoft wants everyone to have Skype right there on their television. Its obvious what they are trying to do. If you really don't like it just don't buy, vote with your wallet. I really can't see Microsoft changing their policies on always on Kinect and really hope they don't as I love the idea.

majohnny

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I can understand both sites of this discussion. For one, Kinect 1 presented some major ideas before hand (Im thinking about the admwith that kid playing larate and his sister dressing up) but in the end nothing really exciting came to end users. On the other hand, forcing everyone to have a Kinect ensures developers that everyone has the added functionality. Till now they had to think about which functions they realise, so people without a Kinect (quite a few) can enjoy the game the same way (or do a kinect only game and reach less people). So, if they now implement voice functions and other kinds of interacitivity it kinda gets integrated, because it'll be a big hassle without it (thats what a guy on page 1 described as his idea of integration).
So I for my part support the decision so we can all hope for a better integration and better games as with kinect 1. Im a little cautious though, because the biggest problem with Kinect 1 (jumping hands) was the first thing I saw at the demonstration of Kinect 2 (or One, whatever). When they started to use it there hands were instantly flickering all over again. I can see that as a big downside for the 'touchcontrol' kind of interactivity.
And while you are discussing about Skype, let me throw that in, too. I don't really like what Ms did there. MSN and Skype in my oppinion arent that integrated as they told us it would be. Both, the windows phone and the windows 8 app, have the problem that the messages appear twice on each device, on my desktop 3 times.. So you either kill the integrated messages and have to open an app to chat, you disable Notifications in the Skype App (and still get numbers on tiles and on the desktop also no call notification) or you kill the skype app completely. But thas a whole different sorry, sorry for bringing that up

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I ask the question because i watched the e3 maybe 5 times this week and not one did I see them use or even show how this new Kinect would work on the new Xbox one release,,,did any gamer at e3 use the new Kinect on either the bf4 demo..nope how about on the killer instinct game....nope how about in the new cod demo.....nope you barely got to see the new Kinect do anything definitely not in the new games so why do I need one now I'll buy it later when is see more games that can use the kinect and I don't mean as a mic either that's an expensive mic I got turtle beaches for that

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi Paul, I think Kinect will be used in those games you mentioned I just think they didn't want to show it at E3 as everyone suddenly seems to think its all Kinect and the games are ruined.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Read an article with good point at e3 when you know (Ms) that your gonna charge 100$more because your gonna bundle it in price of Xbox why no wow factor! At e3 Xbox did nothing to let me know why the extra 100$ they demoed a fps but that was just a generic game this whole Kinect is going to be a round two of "lets wait and see" I wanted to see were my extra 100$ was going wouldn't you. now if I missed something at e3 maybe there was a game they demoed im sorry let me know which one it was so I can look it up and see how it worked with the new kinect

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Project Spark
Ryse
Fantasia
Crimson Dragon (I'm assuming Kinect control since it was originally designed for the first Kinect...)
Dead Rising 3
Forza 5

Those are all games I saw that took advantage of it

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
They made the right decision including it with every console, however, it would have been nice for them to include a game with the system... To help balance out the price difference.

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
No. No. And No.

Microsoft is telling every developer that the user has one by bundling the next generation Kinect into every Xbox One. That means the number of Kinect games will go up because every developer knows that you have one. It's a good scenario and contrary to popular belief won't turn Call of Duty into a Dance Central game anytime soon. There are a lot of useful things the new Kinect can give developers that can add to the immersive game experience.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
No. No. And No.

Microsoft is telling every developer that the user has one by bundling the next generation Kinect into every Xbox One. That means the number of Kinect games will go up because every developer knows that you have one. It's a good scenario and contrary to popular belief won't turn Call of Duty into a Dance Central game anytime soon. There are a lot of useful things the new Kinect can give developers that can add to the immersive game experience.
I'll give it a shot it looks sweet I gave wp8 a shot im still here

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb