Why is Bluray built-in?

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
The more I think about and read about the Xbox One, I feel like the Bluray drive should have been optional. MS is going all out on digital, so why require people to have Bluray? For gaming purposes, it appears discs are going to be no different than download cards and they don't replace the need for internet connectivity. I don't buy physical media movies anymore. The drive is taking up valuable space and serving no purpose to me. People complain about Kinect -- at least it will be functional. The HDDVD add-on for 360 was a good solution for people that wanted a high def movie option. Wish they would have done something like this with One. MS might have hit the $399 mark without Bluray, allowing for some loss knowing all business on the console would be digital and therefore more profitable. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a future hardware revision without any optical drive.

They had to.

Microsoft already knew they screwed up in the seventh generation by not having a high capacity disc drive.

Ps3 did and it showed at the end of the generation.

Ms isn't going to make the same mistake in the eight gen.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the bluray option is unnecessary and just jacks the price up. I thought this was going to be the no disk generation.

How can you think that it jacks up the price? The drives are cheap for consumers. Purchases by a business like Microsoft (especially in such massive quantities) aren't going to be the reason for the cost. They have one on Newegg for $50. Microsoft probably gets them for $10 or less. They aren't the driving force in the console's costs whatsoever. They've got plenty of parts (like the CPU, GPU, and HDD--oh, and that Kinect) that have a MUCH greater effect on the price.

Drives are cheap, when compared to CPUs, GPUs, HDDs, and motherboards. Shoot, the controller probably costs more than the disc drive. If they took it out, you'd MAYBE see the console go to $475.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
HDD's aren't that expensive either but there still is a 500 Gb non - removable. Not like the entire HDD is for your use. The OS its running on will also take up space. I would rather have another HDD than a blu ray drive.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Get a PC if you want hardware options, plain and simple. Other than HDD sizes, which consoles have actually come out with actual hardware configurations...EVER? You're asking for a console to be a PC, and that's just not its role.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Another obstacle to a digital-only console is the idiots who freaked out about (very reasonable) DRM, those loud fan boys would never be okay with it. This console was going to be the device and bring us to a next generation digital only device and bridge the gap, but ***** fan boys ruined it.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Another obstacle to a digital-only console is the idiots who freaked out about (very reasonable) DRM, those loud fan boys would never be okay with it. This console was going to be the device and bring us to a next generation digital only device and bridge the gap, but ***** fan boys ruined it.

Personally, I think MS ruined it by not communicating this entire scenario very well. Its akin to Netflix's attempt in separating its streaming and physical disc service, but not communicating this or presenting it in a palpable way that consumers could swallow. .

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

Why is digital only (actually Blu Ray IS digital) ruined? The system is digital only.

If you meant download only, that isn't a good thing.

It should be left to the customer if they prefer to download or have something tangible.

You download you don't get the case and manual, pay the same, can't resell if you don't like it, and if the system breaks and when they stop supporting it, it's a wrap.

While I do understand the convenience of download and go, especially on a title that sells out quickly, the cons outweigh the pros.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You download you don't get the case and manual, pay the same, can't resell if you don't like it, and if the system breaks and when they stop supporting it, it's a wrap.

While I do understand the convenience of download and go, especially on a title that sells out quickly, the cons outweigh the pros.

Do the cons outweigh the pro's though?

With my young kids, my cases and manuals are generally broken and drawn on. The disks are covered in fingerprints and scratches. Within about 10 minutes of my kids finding a disk, there is no resale anyway! With xboxs scratching disks, the moment you scratch a disk, you have to buy a new, where digital download just allows you to buy it again.

Personally physical games/disks/movies are archaic, and i can't wait to be done with them.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

With my young kids, my cases and manuals are generally broken and drawn on. The disks are covered in fingerprints and scratches. Within about 10 minutes of my kids finding a disk, there is no resale anyway! With xboxs scratching disks, the moment you scratch a disk, you have to buy a new, where digital download just allows you to buy it again.

Personally physical games/disks/movies are archaic, and i can't wait to be done with them.

And that is your valid experience. Where as Joe down the street, who doesn't have children to worry about, may be a head case in taking care of his disk and don't have those worries.

While I like how its done now (still have physical disc, along with an on demand service), I wouldn't have been opposed to MS or any company moving toward a majority digital setup. I have quite a few Arcade and full retail downloads on my Xbox now. I also had a good number of VC downloads on the Wii and some on the Wii U. It is convenient.....if you have the internet setup and space to do it.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

Well common sense would say "hey I know my young kids would destroy my discs, so let me keep them away from them!" like I did with my son.

So yes, the cons outweigh the pros.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It's good that BluRay is included... Here is my take, I currently have my DVR, 360 & BD player all cabled to my TV. With the One, there will only be one HDMI cable going to my TV and the BD player can be used on another TV in another room... It will simplify my entertainment center and my TV won't have to change inputs for the foreseeable future (after hooking up the One).

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
MS has come out and said that they were actually considering a discless console over the Summer. Now that I've had an X1 for a while, I would be on board with that but only if they could work out a distribution model that wasn't reliant solely on downloading games -- e.g., if I could bring a 64gb stick to a store and buy it. This system is so slick with switching between games and apps that it seems disjointed to use discs. The disc drive has also been the weak link of launch from a quality perspective. Maybe rev2 goes discless.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't get a discless Xbox One though, I wouldnt be surprised if they made a version with no disc tray though for those who want to be all digital, but already cos I dont have a bluray player atm means that I want it on my Xbox One :p

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft are serious about a diskless future, then need to go aggressive on game prices. Get similar to Steam, and give us usb disk compatibility for extra space.

Im dying to go diskless, especially if they could do rental, but the prices are silly currently.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I thought I read that Microsoft said they will allow usb hard drives to be connected to the Xbox one in the future so space can be added.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
HDD's aren't that expensive either but there still is a 500 Gb non - removable. Not like the entire HDD is for your use. The OS its running on will also take up space. I would rather have another HDD than a blu ray drive.

Everyone does know, you can upgrade the drive in the Xbox one now ? IT does void your warrany tho. I watched a video with someone upgrading it to 1tb..

You need to pull the drive, connect 2 drives to your PC (the Xbox one drive and your drive your going to replace it on), run a few Linux based scripts and put the new drive in the xbox one, it will copy all your data over to the new drive...

There is a few videos up on youtube on how to do it..

I wont touch it because of my warranty on it but, after the warranty is up, I might attempt it...

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Most consumer don't respect that the price difference between the PS4 and Xbox One is due to the Kinect. They assume it should just be a part of the console that doesn't really increase the cost. Stripping out the blue ray drive would lead consumers to think that it was just inferior to the PS4 (and in some ways it would be). Even for people who don't use discs, it would seemed like the ripped out some functionality that was available in the PS4.

Also I would imagine with all of the new TV hardware coming out, something will be out that will surpass Blue Ray in 10 years. In that case you would have a drive for that type of media.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Most of the Kinects functions with Xbox one is voice recognition. I don't see why they can't get rid of the camera and just have a microphone built into the console, the controller or just use the supplied microphone. I am not sure how much of the Kinect plays in the actual processing of the voice recognition or not-it may not even be possible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos