XBox One - Offline gaming

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Isn't Microsoft essentially saying to all those 30+ million XBox 360 owners who do not have XBL Gold accounts to take a hike? Or do they think the media-center capabilities will open this box up to a far more users than 30 million that they just cast aside?

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Isn't Microsoft essentially saying to all those 30+ million XBox 360 owners who do not have XBL Gold accounts to take a hike? Or do they think the media-center capabilities will open this box up to a far more users than 30 million that they just cast aside?
No, they're saying to the use even smaller margin of users who don't have internet connection to buy it as a set top box to compliment the 360. Silver users with internet can still play games. This is the day and age of internet, if you don't run with it you'll get left behind. Cheap internet plan around my area is only $30, I have the highest data plan in my area and still with phone service its only $70. For that $30 and a computer (which most people have) you get unlimited capabilities both on and off the Xbox.

Condairy Windham

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeh, people are making a big deal out of this for nothing. I mean what house hold doesn't have internet now days? If anyone knows anything about the pc gaming world they would completely understand. I mean the PC gamers is where it was or still is. I mean I got away from console gaming because of how easy it was to access games online. And of course the better quality gaming experiencing. MS/Xbox are just finally saying we need to join the empire of gaming. No one in their right mind will tell you since 1998 that console gaming is/was better than pc gaming. I mean when pc gaming introduce multiplayer it was as if it was the greatest creation ever!! Then Steam came along and made gaming a "WOW" factor. They mapped the way gaming should be and also showed how easy to get games on the fly and much much more. So FINALLYYYYYYYYYYY Xbox has decided that this is the way to go.... did I say finally??? ;)

If you have any time invested in the pc gaming world then none of this small stuff that people are making big deal out of would be mentioned. I think its great! I can finally get back on the console :)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeh, people are making a big deal out of this for nothing. I mean what house hold doesn't have internet now days?

A good number of those in the United States military are unable to connect to the Xbox LIVE servers frequently. In the Navy, you can be at-sea for 6 months straight, at times. Not being able to play your games at those times would suck.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
A good number of those in the United States military are unable to connect to the Xbox LIVE servers frequently. In the Navy, you can be at-sea for 6 months straight, at times. Not being able to play your games at those times would suck.

Odd how my buddy who works on freighters and tanker ships and is out at sea for 6 months at a time gets internet everyday, yet the most advanced military ships of the US Navy gets zero bars on their satellite internet. Seems fishy to me.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If creators of smartphones telling people without data plans to "take a hike"?

Or maybe they created a product that only works with a specific target market. And it isn't about telling anyone to "take a hike." It just wasn't built for them.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Odd how my buddy who works on freighters and tanker ships and is out at sea for 6 months at a time gets internet everyday, yet the most advanced military ships of the US Navy gets zero bars on their satellite internet. Seems fishy to me.
I was in the navy for 5 years and at sea for a lot of that time. Yes, internet access did go out sometimes, but more often than not it was up. People used the internet ALL THE TIME when out to sea. I was on a 9 month deployment out to sea - floating around in the middle of who knows where (hint: traversed half the globe) - and was able to write emails every day... well... not literally every day, but that's because work kind of got in the way :p

I was on a US Aircraft Carrier (I actually was there to help test it out and commission it, as it was brand spanking new at the time) and a large amphibious assault ship. Both had internet access all the time. Sometimes it wasn't fast, but it was there. A few kb for a DRM check wouldn't be so bad. It'll be a lot easier for people on ships than those out in, say, Iraq or Afghanistan. I'm not saying these DRM checks won't be a pain, nor do I like them, but it certainly can be possible for some. And I also had to mention something about Navy sailors not getting internet - not even remotely true. Well, unless you're counting submarines.

Condairy Windham

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeh I find it hard to think that the navy would not hv WI fi/internet connection for a long period of time. Especially them being the technology branch of the services. Then again I ha ent served so that's difficult for me to answer.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I though Microsoft had already said they were looking for a solution for the army/navy/etc who spent large amounts of time with little or no internet access.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I though Microsoft had already said they were looking for a solution for the army/navy/etc who spent large amounts of time with little or no internet access.
I read that somewhere as well. But I've stopped saying that since I can't find the source again to back it up, and nobody would believe that without proof.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeh, people are making a big deal out of this for nothing. I mean what house hold doesn't have internet now days?

Ugh, I guess you do not read what a lot of people say. First of all, only 2/3's of this world has access to a internet connection, it's even less than that for a high speed internet connection. If you live in the middle of no where, you have an option for internet from satalite but, it's worthless for mulit-player due to the latency.

I have a really fast connection BUT, bad weather takes out internet in my area. At least 3 times for 2-5 days this year I have lost it so far and the fact of the matter is, we are about 1/2 way through the year. Power goes out too but, I have a home generator for that. After about 24 hours of no power, internet goes. So, I have power during those times but, according to what MS is doing here, I will not be able to use the X1 after 24 hours after I lose internet. Yea, I know if internet goes out, I can call and yell at Comcast and I will get a credit but, it still is the fact that I cant use the system that I paid for during an ISP related problem.

I am a pretty hardcore gamer, I have a Nice gaming PC, and every console right now besides the WiiU (including portables, Vita and 3DS). I do game a lot, well as much as I can.

For the most part, I like where Microsoft is going with this "digital world" but, they trying to move a device that has always been based off Phsyical Media. I would feel better a lot better if there was a backup plan if internet goes down where I could still play the single player games IF I have the physcial disc.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So, I have power during those times but, according to what MS is doing here, I will not be able to use the X1 after 24 hours after I lose internet.

What about your smartphone?

Microsoft have already said you'll be able to authorise via mobile. Smartglass is available via Android/iOS/Windows Phone, so it should be simple to open the app, and let the xbox route its callback through that.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Microsoft have already said you'll be able to authorise via mobile. Smartglass is available via Android/iOS/Windows Phone, so it should be simple to open the app, and let the xbox route its callback through that.

Can you provide a link where that was said from an offical Microsoft rep ? I have been following the videos and news very close and I have seen people talking that would be a nice feature but, No one from Microsoft has said that.

Unless you can show something proving it, it's just another rumor..

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Unless you can show something proving it, it's just another rumor..

They never mentioned Smartglass specifically, but im certain it was mentioned in the original keynote. I'll dig out a link later.

Why wouldn't they have it authorise through a smartphone?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Not everyone is ready for the XBOX ONE.

If you're not in a position where you're not ready for it, dont buy it yet.

This next generation of consoles is expected to be around 10 years long. Somewhere in the time frame you'll likely be ready.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but the areas that do not have internet connection are the areas where people are living in mud huts and in the trees and they actually hunt and gather for their food. I don't think MS is targeting that demographic.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm not saying it's never present, just that it's not ALWAYS present. I've had multiple discussions with my friend while he's been at-seas, but that doesn't mean it's a 100% reliable connection.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

It's not been stated that SmartGlass will handle it. That's more a statement that TETHERING can be used to handle the matter. I've suggested using SmartGlass/WiFi direct as a middleman for those without tethering, or a USB-based connection with a smartphone to the Xbox One to send and receive license permissions, in those instances.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
This is the long i found...

• For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps. (For reference, the average global internet connection speed as measured recently by Akamai was 2.9 Mbps). In areas where an Ethernet connection is not available, you can connect using mobile broadband.

Interestingly, people have been begging to use mobile broadband for years with the xbox, so its good Micrsoft have been listening. Hopefully with wifi direct, tethering will be really simple.

Xbox Wire

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05