Microsoft confirms XBOX ONE game pricing

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, anyway about it, I knew that was going to be the pricing. They have tried new games a year or 2 ago for $64.99 and people got really upset. They know. There is a max price a modern game will be able to sell for and that is $59.99 unless it's a special edition of some type.

If prices started to go towards $70-80 for games, all I could forsee is a major video game crash, anyone remember back in the early 80's where video gaming just stopped for a while ?

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Now they just need to offer a Digital only version, with no resale/lending on it, for $40 or less, which once purchased doesn't need the 24 hour callback stuff. Bobs your uncle, i go completely DD for my xbox games.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft confirms[?] XBOX ONE game pricing?
ehmm they, kotaku, apparently talked to a "company spokesperson" and he "confirmed" it to kotaku... who was that person? we dont know. why didn't they say the name? we don't know. why they could openly said it to kotaku and not anyone else, but other companies like sony didn't say anything about it? we don't know.
I would thought games would stay at $60 for Xbox like a lot of people, which is not a bad thing if other consoles rise game prices, but there is not anything like a proof showing that this conversation was even real or some drug effect going on. so no, Microsoft isn't confirming anything, there is no oficial post or anything talking about the price of the games of 1st party games. maybe I just expected a xbox.com in the link... not a kotaku one ;)

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
^....you're kidding right? So now we're going after journalists for not citing names? You do realize that's how a lot of news gets out? So that person doesn't get in trouble? Kotaku managed to get the scoop, simple as that.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
^....you're kidding right? So now we're going after journalists for not citing names? You do realize that's how a lot of news gets out? So that person doesn't get in trouble? Kotaku managed to get the scoop, simple as that.

The title of the thread should not be "Microsoft Confirms" it should be "Game Pricing Leaked"

Only when MS officially announces it should the title be "Microsoft Confirms"

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft confirms[?] XBOX ONE game pricing?
ehmm they, kotaku, apparently talked to a "company spokesperson" and he "confirmed" it to kotaku... who was that person? we dont know. why didn't they say the name? we don't know. why they could openly said it to kotaku and not anyone else, but other companies like sony didn't say anything about it? we don't know.
I would thought games would stay at $60 for Xbox like a lot of people, which is not a bad thing if other consoles rise game prices, but there is not anything like a proof showing that this conversation was even real or some drug effect going on. so no, Microsoft isn't confirming anything, there is no oficial post or anything talking about the price of the games of 1st party games. maybe I just expected a xbox.com in the link... not a kotaku one ;)
Wait, what? First, Sony suggested back last February that PS4 games would be the same (you brought it up).Microsoft's pricing for games was also confirmed separately to Polygon (Microsoft selling Xbox One first-party games for $59.99 | Polygon). Or "told directly to Polygon by a Microsoft rep".. however you want to put it. Additionally, a few days ago, Amazon lowered their preorder pricing on all Xbox One and PS4 games from $99 to $59.99. A lot of the stuff we now know as fact about the Xbox One was verified by Microsoft reps to various websites and interviews, before it was put up at xbox.com and mentioned at E3. Both Polygon and Kotaku are trustworthy sites, and note that they stated it was verified directly to them - not that it was a rumor circulating around.

Microsoft has been going around doing scattered interviews to everyone (they really need to get their PR team together!). We just happened to hear from both a website that got the intrerview, and another one who confirmed it in an email directly with Microsoft.

Seriously, as an example, whenever WPCentral confirms a story in some article directly with a Microsoft rep, or goes to them for comment and gets a response, does that mean it's just baseless and WPCentral is spreading rumors and lies?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't say that this is good news or bad news. If gaming prices went up, that'd be terrible. Since they're staying the same, that's sort-of a plus, I guess (though I don't recall reading that there was a fear of an increase). However, unless we see Sony saying that THEIR prices are going up, then it's non-news, because it means that everything is the same, and neither company has a pricing advantage. In fact, it ends up being that a non-rumor was not confirmed, and everything's the same, making this not even real news.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
(though I don't recall reading that there was a fear of an increase).
When Xbox 360 and PS3 came out, they brought along with them a $10 game increase (due to rising costs of development and how advanced the systems were, whatever they said). I think this is why people were a bit nervous.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it did, but I think that given the day and age we are in now, it would have been reported long ago that it would happen, either via a leak or a slip by a third-party person.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
People seem to forget some of those N64 games were mighty expensive. Normally, they were 50, but games like Donkey Kong Country was 90, Turok was 80, and Zelda: OoT was 70. Adjust it for inflation, and you got some pricey games. Of course the reason for such pricey games had to do with the cartridges having 4-64 mb of ram (gasp!)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget Hey You, Pikachu! I think that came in at $80 itself, though it was dropped to MUCH less very quickly. Man, that game was the WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORST.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Wait, what? First, Sony suggested back last February that PS4 games would be the same (you brought it up).Microsoft's pricing for games was also confirmed separately to Polygon (Microsoft selling Xbox One first-party games for $59.99 | Polygon). Or "told directly to Polygon by a Microsoft rep".. however you want to put it. Additionally, a few days ago, Amazon lowered their preorder pricing on all Xbox One and PS4 games from $99 to $59.99. A lot of the stuff we now know as fact about the Xbox One was verified by Microsoft reps to various websites and interviews, before it was put up at xbox.com and mentioned at E3. Both Polygon and Kotaku are trustworthy sites, and note that they stated it was verified directly to them - not that it was a rumor circulating around.

Microsoft has been going around doing scattered interviews to everyone (they really need to get their PR team together!). We just happened to hear from both a website that got the intrerview, and another one who confirmed it in an email directly with Microsoft.

Seriously, as an example, whenever WPCentral confirms a story in some article directly with a Microsoft rep, or goes to them for comment and gets a response, does that mean it's just baseless and WPCentral is spreading rumors and lies?

just shut up.... the point Microsoft didn't confirm officially anything, it was just Kotaku saying someone told them it would be the case. you cant say "Microsoft confirms" something when they are not doing any official statement, and they are just supposedly telling kotaku something. what about this F thread at least has a title "Microsoft confirms to kotaku" but not it doesn't.

and answering your other post, since I wont go and answer it in the other thread. because I don't care and its old thread, the tweet about ban and losing games story was confirmed a mistake by the support before that person posted that link and "face palm". I know its hard for you to understand but if someone is going to post a link and complain about something at least I would expect that person to research if the story is confirmed true or it was a mistake, because support can be dumb like that, and I don't get how a support person can talk freely and nice about something serious like xbox one ban, if there are million other "easier" questions that haven't been answered more than "we cant share more" "we cant give more details" thing. I found the tweet where he says the ban thing was about 360.
so I researched and found it was all a mistake, and I didn't jump and thought Microsoft were doomed and facepalm crap.
but whatever, you say Major nelson already confirmed it, and bringing old crap again, and again, thank god there is ignore list.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
While the name of this thread might be a bit misleading, when you are an individual who works for MS, and are being interviewed by journalists...then you are representing the company. If you're some small fry, then it's best you don't speak about such issues. Clearly this guy is in some power position to go ahead and say what he said. Kotaku did label him a "spokesperson", so he is most likely someone in the PR department that knows a thing or two about what is going on behind the scenes.

Kinda lame if we have to sit around for someone like Major Nelson to confirm it. Last I checked, there's more than just one guy working MS' PR.

Emi, I'd also recommend you stop insulting people left and right. Attacking people is going to get you no where and you just come off as an instigator.

stevearsenault

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
the point Microsoft didn't confirm officially anything, it was just Kotaku saying someone told them it would be the case. you cant say "Microsoft confirms" something when they are not doing any official statement, and they are just supposedly telling kotaku something. what about this F thread at least has a title "Microsoft confirms to kotaku" but not it doesn't.
That's fair, although I meant to include a link to Polygon who separately talked to a Microsoft spokesperson (perhaps the same one). I agree that I could have worded the thread title a better, but I went with it since the person(s) were clearly representative of the company, and not just inside sources or something.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I remember those expensive N64 games... and many came with either the rumble pack or the RAM expansion too - even if you didn't need it anymore.

I'm happy that there appears to be at least a CAP on the price of games, but that doesn't mean games can't/won't be cheaper than that... just anymore expensive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99