EA Crafting A Used Games Policy For Xbox One - Digits - WSJ

The company plans to release its games policy within the next couple of weeks, Gibeau said in a separate interview, and it will take into account things like its own now-abandoned attempt to restrict disc game resales called Online Pass, which did not do well with consumers. The policy we do come out with will have that in mind, he said, and it will likely be the same policy across all its console games. A nuanced and sophisticated approach is important instead of a blunt instrument.
    06-17-2013 01:38 PM
    So in a nutshell third parties decide on their own policy for both systems. Sony is not an exception when it comes to DRM.
    06-17-2013 02:11 PM
    "The policy we do come out with will have that in mind,” he said, and it will likely be the same policy across all its console games.
    That's what I figured. I don't see how the Joe Public doesn't realise this. Game pblishers want this and will more than likely enforce it on every console at some point in the future. Maybe it will be what kills the game console industry, but it's the future. It's probably what sparked MS to think outside the box and make the One more than just a gaming console.
    06-17-2013 02:17 PM
    I can only imagine how confusing this is all going to get on PS4.

Wonder if EA will go to a full digital distribution model on the PS4 and have their physical media simply be a transfer medium ala Xbox One?
    06-17-2013 02:49 PM
    If I was a publisher, I'd just make my physical discs more expensive on the PS4 to make up for the losses I expect from trades and used game sales.

Maybe $59.99 for new digital games, and $69.99 for physical discs.
    06-17-2013 03:04 PM
    That's one possible method, though I think the better one would be LOWERING the price for digital purchases. Make it $50 for digital, $60 for physical, simply to get the P.R. boost and not **** off too many people. If someone did it your way, it'd restrict people's gaming spending. If they did it my suggested way, I think it would mean a bit of goodwill, and some would buy MORE to support that kind of behavior. Using myself as an example, if they did it via lowering the price for digital sales, I'd be willing to roll that $10 saved back into their pockets via DLC, something I never buy.
    06-17-2013 04:50 PM