Why do I have a feeling PS4 will receive a huge backlash soon...

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I posted this at TV, but I wanted to get your opinions as well.

And it will be an even bigger backlash than what XB1 had initially.

I mean, XB1 already had their share of backlash at E3, so game enthusiast already expect the worse from XB1 from here on, and future negativity will provide no further shock as we're already used to the whole XB1 debate. In other words, it can't get any worse from E3, and will only get better as Microsoft will try to work things out with its shortcomings, and clear any kind of misunderstanding. Along the way, I could see future users actually coming to appreciate XB1.

I've always been PS fan for years, but the whole PSN hacking last year has left me going for the XB1 (when I save money, or at least wait until it drops in price - I'm not in a hurry to buy it). What if PSN gets hacked again with PS4? Especially now that PSN is $5 a month, anyone is at risk of their information being hacked.

Especially now that PS4 will have more initial sales than XB1, I think if something like that happens, many people will be very, very pissed.

Not only that, but this whole DRM thing has left PS4 in a tight position. I think people will feel betrayed if publishers do in fact implement them in any sort of way. At least with XB1, the users already know what to expect, lol.

I think another plan by Microsoft, is to push XBox 360 sales one last time before XB1 take over. 360 is still much alive and is still very profitable for Microsoft, thus they don't want XB1 to cannibalize the sales just yet, and this is why the XB1 is $499.

I know I'm basing my argument on baseless theories, but I'm just giving out my two cents.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I posted this at TV, but I wanted to get your opinions as well.

And it will be an even bigger backlash than what XB1 had initially.

I mean, XB1 already had their share of backlash at E3, so game enthusiast already expect the worse from XB1 from here on, and future negativity will provide no further shock as we're already used to the whole XB1 debate. In other words, it can't get any worse from E3, and will only get better as Microsoft will try to work things out with its shortcomings, and clear any kind of misunderstanding. Along the way, I could see future users actually coming to appreciate XB1.

I've always been PS fan for years, but the whole PSN hacking last year has left me going for the XB1 (when I save money, or at least wait until it drops in price - I'm not in a hurry to buy it). What if PSN gets hacked again with PS4? Especially now that PSN is $5 a month, anyone is at risk of their information being hacked.

Especially now that PS4 will have more initial sales than XB1, I think if something like that happens, many people will be very, very pissed.

I think that one of the reasons they're charging $5 a month is so that they could make their network more secure.

They saw how XBOX LIVE was rock solid. They couldn't compete using a free model. They had to cut corners, and it bit them.

I think this time they'll make a stronger effort towards security. If it gets hacked, but Sony really did do all they could do to stop it, then I don't think the backlash will be that bad.

Not only that, but this whole DRM thing has left PS4 in a tight position. I think people will feel betrayed if publishers do in fact implement them in any sort of way. At least with XB1, the users already know what to expect, lol.

Some people will be surprised and disappointed. Some may get upset with Sony. But I think that Sony will do the whole, "It wasn't us, it was the publishers!"

And we already know that gamers are more than willing to hate publishers. I mean, EA being voted the most evil company should tell you something about gamers. (and it's not that EA is really the most evil company)

Though this type of strategy could backfire on Sony. But I think that Sony feels that getting a large enough market share will force publishers to do business with them, even if Sony helps customers think of publishers as evil.

I think another plan by Microsoft, is to push XBox 360 sales one last time before XB1 take over. 360 is still much alive and is still very profitable for Microsoft, thus they don't want XB1 to cannibalize the sales just yet, and this is why the XB1 is $499.

I know I'm basing my argument on baseless theories, but I'm just giving out my two cents.

I agree with the 360 stuff. There's still going to be some cool stuff going on. I wouldn't be surprised if MS somehow made the 360 into some super Indie friendly platform in the future. Keep the console around for another 5 or 6 years, but geared towards smaller Indies that don't have big publishing dollars. So the power of the 360 would be more than enough to handle anything they throw at it.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I feel that the current situation is primed for console gaming in general to be energized. People are passionate about these new consoles, and if these consoles can stay in the news, be it good or bad, they will remain on peoples minds.

I think that Sony will get a little backlash, but I do feel that they are taking a more flexible approach in regards to the concerns of the masses, and a seemingly necessary approach to keep the masses interested in consoles. This doesn't change my opinion that Microsoft understands the industry well enough to know what it will take for console gaming to survive beyond this new generation though, but it will take time and more explanation for people to get used to their vision for the future. Ultimately, everything is most likely happening as intended.

There have been comments from both Microsoft and Sony that the battle is only beginning. The real question is if Sony and Microsoft pre-meditated a tug-of-war just to get a reaction.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I think in the coming months Microsoft's going to gain more positive news.

They seemed to be taking (to an apparent extreme) the notion of, "I've got good news and bad news, let me tell you the bad news first."

Bad news - 24 hour check-in - different lending/used game policy - 499.99 pricetag, including the kinect

Good news - moving to a digital front, family share plan, online persistent worlds, all inclusive box, hdmi in, potential of kinect included in every purchase, one gold account/xbox one to enjoy gold benefits, cloud computing, and more...

They've set this up to get the bad news out of the way and then to build back with lots of little good news.

I think (if this is what they are doing) this is smart. Better to get the bad news out of the way 6 months from release than to drop it on us 1-2 months from launch.

I see Sony doing somewhat of the opposite, I've got good news and bad news, here's the good news...

Good news - 399.99 pricetag, same used game policy, no console based drm stuff
Bad news - PSN costs money now, its up to publishers to implement DRM stuff, Gaikai won't be ready at launch, and possibly some more...

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
1. The "good news" from Microsoft is mostly already known, except for the full functionality of the sharing services. It's not holding the good news in their back pocket until the right time. The bad just outweighs the good for many people.
2. The "bad news" for the PlayStation is pretty relevant to the Xbox as well. Xbox LIVE costs money. There won't even BE a GaiKai-like service on the Xbox (that we have heard of), so even a future release of that from Sony would be a notch in their belt. Publishers can implement DRM, but they can also not, meaning there is potential for good stuff on that front on the PlayStation, where there isn't really any upside to such an allowance on the Xbox.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
What I find funny is now I'm seeing more positive articles on the X1. Gamers sites are getting back to the games and just about everyone are blown away by Spark and Titanfall. The fact remains that Xbox One bought the games. PS4 brought nothing but hey we are the same.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
1. The "good news" from Microsoft is mostly already known, except for the full functionality of the sharing services. It's not holding the good news in their back pocket until the right time. The bad just outweighs the good for many people.
2. The "bad news" for the PlayStation is pretty relevant to the Xbox as well. Xbox LIVE costs money. There won't even BE a GaiKai-like service on the Xbox (that we have heard of), so even a future release of that from Sony would be a notch in their belt. Publishers can implement DRM, but they can also not, meaning there is potential for good stuff on that front on the PlayStation, where there isn't really any upside to such an allowance on the Xbox.

I could see the backlash against the Gaikai stuff being, "Hey, we've got quasi-backwards compatibility on the PS4! Alright, play your PS3 games today! After you repurchase your library - or pay us a subscription allowing you to play those PS3 games..." If its like that, PS4 doesn't have backwards compatibility (really)... since it can't play PS3 discs... I can't imagine Sony would say - here play our entire (or even a selection) PS3 lineup for free!

Nintendo has been doing that all the time - why would Sony not do it?

Mocah

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

But, the always-online benefits ("good news") IS in their back pocket, of sorts. I personally cannot tell you how ever-changing worlds and connected gameplay is experienced. No one really can. So, just possibly, the good news comes later when people experience the benefits first-hand? It's easy to talk up the losses that gamers can imagine, much easier than talking up new concepts and potential benefits that consumers haven't experienced.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Yep, great news, no digital sharing, Gamestop get's to dictate used game values for yet another generation, and DRM remains completely up to the publishers who we all know have the consumer's best interests in mind.

I believe the future of console gaming has officially died today.

The question now is do I want to keep my Xbox One preorder?

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Yep, great news, no digital sharing, Gamestop get's to dictate used game values for yet another generation, and DRM remains completely up to the publishers who we all know have the consumer's best interests in mind.

I believe the future of console gaming has officially died today.

The question now is do I want to keep my Xbox One preorder?

Well, the PS4 is a gaming console.
The XB1 is a gaming console + a whole Entertainment/Social System.

Xithryl

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
In all honesty I'm torn up about this news, personally I don't like it, wish it would have just gotten rid of the 24 hour check if the disc was in the console. But now it just feels like we took a step back in technology.....

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

It's bad news if you wanted to be able to log into your account from any XBOX ONE and have access to your entire library.

It's bad news if you wanted a family share plan where you could give up to 10 family members access to your entire game library, regardless of their physical location.

It's bad news if you wanted the ability to play a different game without actually having to get up and change the disc.

It's bad news if you wanted to be able to buy a digital copy of a game and sell it when you're done, while at the same time giving developers a cut in the sale.

It's bad news if you were hoping for new game prices to drop like they do on Steam, since devs could expect revenue from used game sales also.

But if you don't like any of those advantages, I guess it's "good news." Though people could have received all that from a PS4.

Now as consumers we are left with LESS choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre