The problem with the Xbox Ones strategy.

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Here is the problem with Microsofts strategy. The TV features are great, but nothing stops Apple or Android from releasing the same exact features in an updated Apple TV or Google TV. Heck it might even include a game controller for app store games. If both price it for a couple hundred lower than the Xbox one then the people who want the TV functionality will just buy those systems instead.

The only real advantage is the Kinect sensor which most people aren't enamored with. Google and apples voice recognition is every bit as good as microsofts, probably better. Both also have existing customers locked into their ecosystems, which far outnumber Microsofts.

If an updated Apple TV is $300 and Google TV $200 then I don't see how a $500 Xbox One can compete. Xbox would be targeting a very narrow demographic right now that would find a purchase worthy.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Those are 2 different types of gaming. If someone likes console gaming, they won't go with something that plays mobile games. Also, I think Microsoft knows no one is going to buy a One just for the TV features because of the price tag.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The Xbox One does all of the above, that's why it rocks.

- Games
- TV
- Netflix/Xbox Video
- Music
- Internet
- HBO GO
- SmartGlass
- Kinect (motion and voice control)
- Social Media
- YouTube

And the list goes on...

Name any other device that can do all of the above? Why buy multiple devices, when you can buy one (the One)?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

- Games
- TV
- Netflix/Xbox Video
- Music
- Internet
- HBO GO
- SmartGlass
- Social Media
- YouTube

And the list goes on...

Name any other device that can do all of the above? Why buy multiple devices, when you can buy one (the One)?

A good PC. Kinect will be out for it. You can do your list plus more!

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

- Games
- TV
- Netflix/Xbox Video
- Music
- Internet
- HBO GO
- SmartGlass
- Social Media
- YouTube

And the list goes on...

There are options for most of those. And they dont require you to purchase a subscription to do things you already pay for like Netflix.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
If I were Microsoft... I'd make an 'Xbox TV' with lighter hardware/cheaper but retain Kinect with all of the Xbox One's multi-tasking, apps, TV-integration, etc.

I'd also integrate Flash into Internet Explorer on Xbox One, so that people can access catch-up television at their local cable-network websites.

Another major addition, I'd make sure that the 'Xbox TV' can handle a certain level of gaming, maybe enough -- I don't know -- to handle most indie titles? Perhaps market Xbox TV to indie-developers, and position it as a more suitable platform for them (i.e. away from the big publishers, and open to a much broader audience?).

Price for this unit? $199.99 to $249.99.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
A good PC. Kinect will be out for it. You can do your list plus more!

Which good PC to you suggest to just 'plug it in and go?' No PC is going to be 'as easy' to setup and go as the XBOX One will be.

I'm not saying the PC can't do what the Xbox One can/will do. But, the PC isn't as easy to use as a console will/would be...

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
There are options for most of those. And they dont require you to purchase a subscription to do things you already pay for like Netflix.

Not that I don't have anything to support it - but do we know that XBOX Live Gold is going to cover the exact same thing on the One as on the 360? They could move Netflix and Hulu and such down to the Silver tier...

And the 'barrier' never bothered me - I have already been paying for XBOX Live - to game - for almost 10 years and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon - so that point has never applied to me - and I'd hazard a guess that it really doesn't apply to anyone else on Live or the 360 either... The people that I know who have a 360 - have a live account, and if they don't none of them complain that they can't get Netflix, mainly because they don't have their 360 connected to the internet.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

"Most of those" is not all of those, and they require multiple devices that will probably add up to more than the cost of an Xbox One.

If you guys don't think the X1 is worth the price, don't buy it. Everyone else will. If MS sees a lack of interest, they make changes. Otherwise, its your loss.

I'm amazed at the number of people who act like they should be running Microsoft as if they have all the correct answers, and MS is just stupid.

I think the X1 is awesome from what we've seen so far. It certainly justifies the cost, which is still cheaper than what PS3 was at launch.

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Here is the problem with Microsofts strategy. The TV features are great, but nothing stops Apple or Android from releasing the same exact features in an updated Apple TV or Google TV. Heck it might even include a game controller for app store games. If both price it for a couple hundred lower than the Xbox one then the people who want the TV functionality will just buy those systems instead.

The only real advantage is the Kinect sensor which most people aren't enamored with. Google and apples voice recognition is every bit as good as microsofts, probably better. Both also have existing customers locked into their ecosystems, which far outnumber Microsofts.

If an updated Apple TV is $300 and Google TV $200 then I don't see how a $500 Xbox One can compete. Xbox would be targeting a very narrow demographic right now that would find a purchase worthy.

I respectfully disagree. First, Apple's approach (if all the Apple-centric tech blogs are right) is not to add services to its Apple TV box but to produce an actual Apple TV. Of course there are lots of people who will purchase anything Apple produces, but I have a hard time believing most people will favor that approach over Microsoft's which allows you to use your existing TV(s) and other home entertainment equipment. Google's attempt at this market was along the same lines as Apple's and required you to purchase a TV with Google's software built in. The cost of embracing the Apple or Google approach will be far higher than the initial Xbox One price, vastly more than the $200-$300 prices you claim.

Second, it is kind of a broad statement to say "most people aren't enamored" with Kinect. I haven't seen those statistics myself. It was the fastest selling consumer electronics device the year it was released and people always seem to be having a blast with it in the retails store display areas I've seen. True, far more Xbox 360's operate without Kinect exist than those with the sensor, but that is the very reason all Xbox One units will come with the new sensor, which is far more capable. Google and Apple may have good voice recognition, but they don't have it on any home entertainment device and it would require additional hardware for them to include it but I am sure the can easily do so in those expensive new TV's they will require you to purchase. Ecosystem lock-in may or may not be an issue, but Microsoft certainly has more customers using its home entertainment devices than Google and Apple combined (I am counting Xbox's sales vs Apple TV and Google TV.) Microsoft also has Skype and other services it can use to add value to the Xbox One, including (I hope) the ability for developers to provide third party Xbox One apps.

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

- Games
- TV
- Netflix/Xbox Video
- Music
- Internet
- HBO GO
- SmartGlass
- Social Media
- YouTube

And the list goes on...

Doesn't running the TV require an existing cable box as well? Also Xbox One doesn't have DVR capability. So you really need two boxes not just an Xbox One.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Wait what? I'm not too familiar with Apple or Google TV, but are you saying that if they add app store gaming and price it cheaper, that it compares to a gaming console with access to higher quality games and greater multiplayer features?

I think the problem people have with Xbox one is the policies they have in place and how it can be perceived as limiting.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

- Games
- TV
- Netflix/Xbox Video
- Music
- Internet
- HBO GO
- SmartGlass
- Social Media
- YouTube

And the list goes on...

PS4 it needed an outstanding mention.

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

- Games
- TV
- Netflix/Xbox Video
- Music
- Internet
- HBO GO
- SmartGlass
- Social Media
- YouTube

And the list goes on...

It will do all of that if you live in North America. No confirmation what it will do in other countries.
At present its PS4 for me, until MS release more info on what XB1 will do in the UK (rumours that Sky will be the TV provider)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It will do all of that if you live in North America. No confirmation what it will do in other countries.
At present its PS4 for me, until MS release more info on what XB1 will do in the UK (rumours that Sky will be the TV provider)

Sky wont be doing any more than they are now - that was all a rumour - all they have said moving forward is they will continue to provide an extended range of services through now.tv

UPDATE: Sky/Xbox One rumours quashed - Gadgets & Tech - Life & Style - The Independent

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
After setup, you'll only be dealing with one box.

Exactly, and I'm guessing over the next few years MS will be working with cable companies to replace the DVR box, period. Who knows, maybe in a few years cable companies will just provide Xbox Ones instead of their current proprietary cable boxes.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

The One is a passthrough - at this point it isn't replacing your current cable/satellite box. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be able to be hooked up to a Sky set top box at all...

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The One is a passthrough - at this point it isn't replacing your current cable/satellite box. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be able to be hooked up to a Sky set top box at all...

Ya, from my understanding, if the box supports the controller pass through HDMI cable type, that it would essentially act just like using your remote to control the box.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb