06-23-2013 03:24 PM
176 ... 45678
tools
    because Japanese gamers (and other gamers from Asian countries) have shown that they don't support Microsoft consoles...
    06-20-2013 09:06 AM
    well all my favorite features are gone (hot swapping of games and sharing), thanks a lot internet tough guys....ugh
    06-20-2013 09:06 AM
    It isn't the first time when MS is way too much ahead of it's time with it's innovations. Think about almost anything mainstream in tech the last 10 years and the chances are MS did it before most others, but the time and technology available at that time just wasn't ripe for it back then. I see X1 as yet another example of this, but this time they actually decided to "tone it down" instead of releasing it as too much ahead of it's time and potentially falling short with it.
    06-20-2013 09:08 AM
    If that were the case why not launch in Asia first - South Korea has the best digital infrastructure on the planet - Everyone has a download speed of at least 100mb/s. Japan isn't too far behind that and yet they are left hanging?
    If I had to guess it's because, historically, Xbox sales in Asia have been abysmal. Making the necessary agreements for retailers to sell an online only console would have been money wasted.
    06-20-2013 09:08 AM
    Major Nelson has been listening to feedback since this announcement. He understands some still would like the features just removed. So hopefully they'll visit that and it sounds like they will talk about it.
    The only issue I see is this. People who opt for the DRM and stuff, if they could play a game without putting their disc in, they could lend it to someone who plays offline. So I don't know how they could deal with and solve that problem. Unless they had it where you only can have those features if you do digital download only. It'd be nice if there was a way you could still buy a disc and have the features but again, how could they do it?
    06-20-2013 09:30 AM
    Major Nelson has been listening to feedback since this announcement. He understands some still would like the features just removed. So hopefully they'll visit that and it sounds like they will talk about it.
    The only issue I see is this. People who opt for the DRM and stuff, if they could play a game without putting their disc in, they could lend it to someone who plays offline. So I don't know how they could deal with and solve that problem. Unless they had it where you only can have those features if you do digital download only. It'd be nice if there was a way you could still buy a disc and have the features but again, how could they do it?
    Indeed, due to this I dont think there will ever be a way to do this if they keep the offline-option. Thus, the "DRM goodies" can (and should!) only really be delivered with digital games.
    06-20-2013 09:33 AM

The only way to do it would be to completely split it - Go digital - get drm 24 hour check in, always connected, family share digital resales, everything how they intended it - Go physical - lose drm, lose always connected, lose family share as it now.
    You make your choice when you buy your game.
    vertigoOne likes this.
    06-20-2013 09:36 AM
    Way to go pansies! Now I have to continue to lug my discs around when I leave town. Was so excited about sending ALL my games into the cloud so if I choose to take my X1 with me, I wouldn't have to cary discs.

Oooh, change, please, don't make me change! I can't stand having to be connected to the internet once a day!

A few stupid idiots ruined the future of gaming, god I hate having discs taking up physical space, heaven forbid they take away the ability to show all my friends just how many games I have by getting rid of discs!

Its time to get with the future of gaming. You want to keep your discs, go back to Sega Dreamcast ya stupes!
    06-20-2013 09:40 AM
    You listed "crushing the used game market" as a benefit?
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
    yes, from a MS and publishers/developers stand point.
    My post was about how gamestop etc may actually be worse off now.

They may be a bit better of in the short term, but i think MS will push even harder to make digital so compelling that people will not want disks regardless of trading them in.
    Publishers will see more of the money they think their due via digital.
    06-20-2013 09:49 AM
    Was just reading this Heartbroken MS employee - Pastebin.com Looks like the family share wasn't going to be as awesome as I originally thought, though still pretty cool. I'm kinda thinking that this is going to end up being a better approach. Slowly show gamers, and the journalists why these changes are good... We will get there
    06-20-2013 09:52 AM
    Way to go pansies! Now I have to continue to lug my discs around when I leave town. Was so excited about sending ALL my games into the cloud so if I choose to take my X1 with me, I wouldn't have to cary discs.

Oooh, change, please, don't make me change! I can't stand having to be connected to the internet once a day!

A few stupid idiots ruined the future of gaming, god I hate having discs taking up physical space, heaven forbid they take away the ability to show all my friends just how many games I have by getting rid of discs!

Its time to get with the future of gaming. You want to keep your discs, go back to Sega Dreamcast ya stupes!
    You still have the option to purchase your games digitally. That will address your complaints.
    06-20-2013 09:59 AM
    Also another reason they couldn't separate disk with digital regarding sharing etc. Is that if you buy digitally you can still play offline. So similar issues that you have with disk. So its a major change and not something that can easily be resolved prior to launch. Hence dropping of the cool features for now (hopefully)
    06-20-2013 10:04 AM
    Guys you have to realize one thing. After the Windows 8 debacle Microsoft just had, they are not about to go the same route with the Xbox One. Though Win 8 is a great lovely innovation, the ignorant masses couldn't adapt to it and causing backlash against Microsoft. That's why I believe Microsoft is giving into the demands of the public so the One can be successful.
    06-20-2013 10:06 AM
    Also another reason they couldn't separate disk with digital regarding sharing etc. Is that if you buy digitally you can still play offline. So similar issues that you have with disk. So its a major change and not something that can easily be resolved prior to launch. Hence dropping of the cool features for now (hopefully)
    That's not really a problem, cos it's easy to implement an option for "DRM free" or "online use"-kind of options. If you buy the the game digitally, you will be connected to the internet. There is no scenario where you could buy and install a digital game without being online, so before/during/upon downloading a digital game you could be allowed to choose whether you want to be able to share etc or be able to play the game offline. If you choose offline, you can do just that, if you choose to share, you can't play offline.

Although, I'm not sure if there is any risk whatsoever to allowing playing digital games offline baseline, cos there is no disc to give around to all of yours friends that could be exploited in the first place.. but the thing still is that the split between digital and disc based games is not a problem cos there is no scenario of installing a digital game without internet.
    06-20-2013 10:08 AM
    If you want to see what people are saying about Xbox ONE outside this forum, look no farther than the comments on this yahoo article

Microsoft reverses position on Xbox One Internet, game sharing

I really hope Xbox One don't end up the same route as Win 8
    Last edited by ny_yankees; 06-21-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    06-20-2013 10:14 AM
    If you want to see what people are saying about Xbox ONE outside this forum, look no farther than the comments on this yahoo article

I really hope Xbox One end up the same route as Win 8
    Looking at adoption rate and taking a few other things into consideration, Windows 8 is doing just fine and after the usual OEM PC life cycle (about 2 years), you will see Windows 8 be adopted a lot faster too. But yes, I hope that Xbox One will be succesful too :P
    06-20-2013 10:20 AM
    The only negative I saw was the 24 hour check-in. It would **** me off not to be able to take my X1 somewhere and not be able to use it due to no check-in. All the other stuff...kind of wish it would happen. There still has to be a way to appease everyone. We shall see, I guess.
    06-20-2013 10:23 AM

Unless I'm incorrect you can still digitally download the games and still play them...maybe I'm wrong?
    06-20-2013 10:25 AM

I really hope Xbox One end up the same route as Win 8
    Theres no need to look - all those comments - and comments on every other site are all saying the same - its still the same bunch of people that complained about drm that were never going to buy an xbox one anyway - now they all want the Kinect gone and a price drop. Its still the same BS that caused the drm reversal in the first place.

Ms could come out tomorrow and say were giving the consoles away for $1 - those same trolls would still find fault with something and find a reason to comment saying they are getting a PS4 - F*ck em all.
    vertigoOne likes this.
    06-20-2013 10:25 AM
    You still have the option to purchase your games digitally. That will address your complaints.
    I don't believe that would be 'all' the games available. Why would the creator or producer of the game go through the process of creating it in both formats? I understand that its digital (most likely) first, and then they stamp it onto a disc, but why? Wouldn't they get more profit if they skip the disc and only offer it digitally?

For example, Borderlands 2 I think isn't available for digital for the xbox, just the PC. So again, I gotta lug the dang disc around if I choose to want to play it away from home. IF the X1 is going to provide all thier disc based games as a digital download, then yes, I will be happy. But I don't see that happening now that the bitchers got thier way.
    06-20-2013 10:28 AM
    I don't believe that would be 'all' the games available. Why would the creator or producer of the game go through the process of creating it in both formats? I understand that its digital (most likely) first, and then they stamp it onto a disc, but why? Wouldn't they get more profit if they skip the disc and only offer it digitally?

For example, Borderlands 2 I think isn't available for digital for the xbox, just the PC. So again, I gotta lug the dang disc around if I choose to want to play it away from home. IF the X1 is going to provide all thier disc based games as a digital download, then yes, I will be happy. But I don't see that happening now that the bitchers got thier way.
    Most new games at least on PC are available n both formats, so I'm pretty sure there's market and point to doing both. Personally I prefer digital download when possible, but I know many who prefer to have physical copies for various reasons.
    06-20-2013 10:31 AM
    Theres no need to look - all those comments - and comments on every other site are all saying the same - its still the same bunch of people that complained about drm that were never going to buy an xbox one anyway - now they all want the Kinect gone and a price drop. Its still the same BS that caused the drm reversal in the first place.

Ms could come out tomorrow and say were giving the consoles away for $1 - those same trolls would still find fault with something and find a reason to comment saying they are getting a PS4 - F*ck em all.
    Yep. It's a shame really. I will pay the premium price to get a premium system. It does not bother me at all. I have read wayyyy too many posts about E3, X1 and the DRM...the bias is certainly not in favor of MS. It still is kind of funny when Gamestop has already stopped taken in-store pre-orders for X1, so I guess not too many people were that upset. It's also a shame because what should have been heralded as advancing gaming and technology got squashed by hack internet "journalists". Sites that are notoriously pro-Sony and anti MS. Ohwell, at the end of the day I will be playing my X1 on Thanksgiving!
    06-20-2013 10:34 AM
    Require anyone wanting to play from your shared library to be connected to Live in order to play a shared game. There are ways it could work, but the problem with this is that there is no longer any incentive for the publishers to allow sharing to happen at all.

Why? Piracy and used games are now open season for pirates, used game shops and rental services to leech off or the developers/publishers invested time and money on the Xbox One now. Cliffy B hit the nail on the head...if you thought the DLC situation was bad in this current generation, just wait. I see publishers going completely free-to-play and/or ad supported in reaction to this, and you will have to buy content for every game just to play it in any form other than as a demo.
    06-20-2013 10:47 AM
    The only negative I saw was the 24 hour check-in. It would **** me off not to be able to take my X1 somewhere and not be able to use it due to no check-in. All the other stuff...kind of wish it would happen. There still has to be a way to appease everyone. We shall see, I guess.
    Sorry, but that's stupid. You won't buy a console because of a week of vacation you take? That's like not buying a phone because it won't have service when you're in the deep woods. Come on, man. Get real.
    The only thing MS has backtracked on is the DRM requirements and the features that directly corresponded to that check-in. Day and date digital downloads were already promised with every game, and I see no reason why that should go away.
    06-20-2013 10:58 AM
    Why do some of you guys keep saying it's the end of Cloud? It's almost like you didn't read the statement...similar to those who didn't understand the DRM issues?

In regards to that Don Mattrick picture/letter, why does everyone assume they trade their games to GS? I bought Last of Us for 60, but will probably be selling it back on Craig's List for 30-40 if I don't plan on keeping it.

I do understand his frustration. After all, other industries have ways to increase revenue after the initial product is released.

Films and television shows have DVD sales, syndication royalties, and broadcast rights.

Record labels have concerts, royalties, licensing and radio.

In comparison, video games basically have jack squat.

I'm no fan of DRM but there is a problem when a game can sell almost four million copies and the publisher still has to lay off half the staff. I'm not saying that Microsoft had the perfect solution but something's gotta give.
    No offense, but maybe they shouldn't be making such big budgeted games in the first place if their sales forecast is that high? And I agree with that dude in the comments. If you conservatively make 20 dollars off per new game sold...and Hitman sold 3.6 million, that's a lot of money.
    06-20-2013 11:25 AM
176 ... 45678