Microsoft backtracks on DRM and used games

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Xbox One backtracking on DRM, and used games

That had better not screw up all the cool new sharing abilities we would have had. :(

PhoenixSoul

May 27, 2013
Visit site

Just to add to the thread

Started off as a rumor:

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/
The PA Report - “Inside sources” state that Microsoft may pull a 180 on DRM requirements
Microsoft to backtrack on Xbox One games DRM and "always online" | whathifi.com

Then Xbox Wire updated their site:

Xbox Wire

Update on June 19, 2013: As a result of feedback from the Xbox community, we have changed certain policies for Xbox One reflected in this blog. Some of this information is no longer accurate — please check here for the latest.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

THE RULES HAVE CHANGED

Your Feedback Matters

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

I will be most disappointed. Most of the hysteria is based around misinformation, or information Microsoft should have detailed more specifically.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Only thing holding me back was the 24 hour check in. If I can play offline all I want, then it's time to preorder this.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Is this going to win pre-orders? I think it is likely just as risky of a move as sticking to their guns. Time will tell, but I don't see the internet throngs praising Microsoft for anything that they would do.

EDIT: Looks like family sharing is out. Stupid internet.

curseoftheninja

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

...does that mean that the games won't follow you, and there is no family share?

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

...does that mean that the games won't follow you, and there is no family share?

Yep, exactly. Basically all the cool new follow you / share features have gone and it is just like the old one - just like everyone wanted 😞
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express - excuse the typos!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, Microsoft hasn't said if the family share system was gone or not. Microsoft could still allow family share but maybe only for downloaded titles and maybe five friends instead of ten.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
nice! now we cant share our games with people around the world. and of course we have to carry our discs whenever we go. now I wonder if you can still use one gold account to "share" it with silver members in the same console.
I like how the new Microsoft listens to 1. people who wouldnt even buy Xbox one. 2. stupid Xbox users who didnt even have clear how it would work.
now we should be happy we can have a crappier DRM like EA and other big publishers try to give :)

but of course, its cool to have real family around the world and then not being able to buy the games and share it with them. thats my favorite new feature :)
thank god for this over dramatic and stupid humanity, and thanks Microsoft for listen to them!

PS, of course they didnt directly say share feature would be gone. but for the way they worded it, I think it only means share feature would be gone.

Last edited:

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
i dont really think they needed to pull a 180 on this. They just needed to make this an option or a mix of both. you can play offline just as a 360 would without the internet, but if you had internet and were connected you could do all of the cool next gen stuff like the family share and playing without the disc in tray. and they could do the sell/trade your digital copy once and keep disc trading the same. They did the best of both worlds with windows 8 (desktop/tablets) why not with xbox (online/offline)?

Xithryl

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, Microsoft hasn't said if the family share system was gone or not. Microsoft could still allow family share but maybe only for downloaded titles and maybe five friends instead of ten.

They did say its gone, its in the article on their main page:

"These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray. "

PhoenixSoul

May 27, 2013
Visit site

You'll probably have to buy all your games digitally if you want your library to follow you....which is what I plan to do. Family sharing is dead lol ... which sucks T_T

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786