Microsoft backtracks on DRM and used games

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
They did say its gone, its in the article on their main page:

"These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray. "

I even read that and for some reason it just didn't register. Thanks.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Xbox One backtracking on DRM, and used games

Yep, exactly. Basically all the cool new follow you / share features have gone and it is just like the old one - just like everyone wanted

In hindsight what if what "everyone wanted" had prevented steam from becoming what it is today? At least we got that one pushed through. :(

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
So, what about the ability to seamlessly and instantly jump from one game to another? Is that dead now too?

I wish they would gives us the choice to 'opt in' to the sharing stuff. Those that opt-in get the 24 hour check, but they can share. All my friends were going to do it...

Really disappointed that the digital sharing features are dead. Especially with the rumor that Steam is going to support it....

blzr409

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I was fairly critical of the way Microsoft was presenting things, but I actually didn't have much of an issue with the policies themselves. I think they just did a terrible job of presenting good ideas, and now it has resulted in them abandoning those good ideas. I saw it as mainly a communication issue, but I think the hysteria may have gotten to the point where they couldn't have talked their way back out of it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
CRAP!

Dang whiners.

Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us.

"These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One," Mattrick noted. "The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold."

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Except, the more I think about it, how do they controll when you are using the game disc-less and you turn around and sell the disc... unfortunately, it's all or nothing... although, hopefully digital download games will still be "roaming".

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
So, what about the ability to seamlessly and instantly jump from one game to another? Is that dead now too?

I wish they would gives us the choice to 'opt in' to the sharing stuff. Those that opt-in get the 24 hour check, but they can share. All my friends were going to do it...

Really disappointed that the digital sharing features are dead. Especially with the rumor that Steam is going to support it....

well I guess it would only work for digitally downloaded games (since they don't have a disc to check, and you cant share them or sell or give them away), but if you install a game from a disc, you cant switch it instantly if you have to get up, change the disc, and wait for the unit to read it. if their words say "xbox one, disc in try, just like today in 360" that only means. people who liked the features, will be disappointed by this. because now you have to get up every time you want to play a game you bought in disc.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So we've lost all the good stuff. Why not just slap a Sony logo next to the Xbox one. Remove the Kinect and drop the price to $399.

I've had 9 people put reorders in purely on the family share feature that they werent aware of because it was buried by all the negative crap about 24hour check ins and drm that tech bloggers and commenters went on about. Now those same tech bloggers will be going on that they've backed down and shown weakness and bowed to public demand but oh no ms still cant get things right as they remove one of its most impressive features that you didn't really know about because we were too busy moaning about stuff we've already had in place for years on pcs and mobiles.

Sucks big time. I'm out of this new generation. Can all kiss my ***
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Well this sucks...

And I mean Microsoft has already put a lot or money, time, and R&D developing all these cool next gen stuff that they just took out.
I feel like what they'll do is just shelf it for 6 months after the release, get in all the preorders and happy *cough*ignorannt*cough* consumers that wanted all the old changes to buy xboxone..and then slowly introduce the the next gen stuff like sharing and internet and DRM, either in a mix of old and new gen, or opt in.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, if Microsoft was better at 'telling' the story and PRing their vision they might have avoided the huge backlash and not have had to reverse their vision...

But, they failed at that and now we lose some really cool things.

But, as a friend (who works for GS corporate mentioned) - MS has 'flipped' the switch off... they could turn it back on at some point... which would be huge.

Graven Pshya

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Damn. I really wanted the ability to freakin' take my games with me and play on any Xbox One anywhere. Gah. Well, Microsoft did what was necessary and appealed to the masses I suppose. They're a business. Either way, I now believe that Xbox One will win this holiday season.

stevearsenault

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It was probably the smart decision, though I was looking forward to the family share option. The DRM wasn't that big of an issue for me, but I am glad they're at least maintaining the digital versions of the games even if we can't share them now.

EDIT: I seriously hope this doesn't lead to a lengthy delay in the console's release, though.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
So if MS is able to just remove all those things...then it can be chalked up to software features right? Something they can add on later down the road by a flip of the switch essentially? Maybe they might be going with a slow and steady model rather than all out?

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So if MS is able to just remove all those things...then it can be chalked up to software features right? Something they can add on later down the road by a flip of the switch essentially? Maybe they might be going with a slow and steady model rather than all out?

Yeah thats what im thinking too..i think they realized that consumerss arent ready for the 'real' next gen...but i think Microsoft vision is going to happen...just in a slower more adaptable way. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I wish they gave people the option to choose if they wanted the 24 hr check in or not. For example if I am hooked up to the internet. Check my download to see that I have it so I can play without discs. But if I don't have internet and I used a disc to install make me use the disc. I wonder how difficult that would of been. This change they made almost kills the fast game switching. But luckily for me I am going to try to buy most of my games digitally so I don't lose that feature. I am also disappointed they got rid of the 10 family game share. Oh well I guess. I am glad Microsoft listened to some feedback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99