Microsoft backtracks on DRM and used games

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Just maybe somewhere down the line they can re-implement some of this stuff at least for digital games.. I've been trying to think how to make it an option for disc based games too (like upon first installation a poll if you want the "DRM version" or "DRM free), but I can't come up with any solution that wouldn't be possible to exploit on consoles not connected to the internet. And I guess about half of the rage was that 24h-check-in, which was that made the cool stuff possible.

Any specific reason why digital games still couldnt be cheaper, have the family share option, etc? I know at this time they likely won't be, but here's to hoping..

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Nah, I don't think they will do this again. Kinect is way too baked-in in the system I think. I'm already surprised they think they have enough time to change the whole DRM-stuff with the few months until november. It's just practically impossible to change things like the Kinect integration at this point.

Exactly, No matter how much people DONT want the Kinect, the system will be coming with it. Period. Why ? Microsoft has said, the problem with the lack of great kinect games on the xbox 360 was because it was an optional device. Now that everyone will have one, the devs can do better things with it, and now that it's almost 100% accurate (not like v1 was), it might be actually enjoyable this round.

Also the fact, that Microsoft said about changing DRM, when you get the X1 you will need to take a update to change over, this means, they are already making the X1, so it's fully in production. Doing any hardware change at this point would cost too much money and guess who will pay for it ?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Another thing I was thinking about -

All the doom, gloom and fear that people were saying regarding this that when the XBOX One is no more (in 10+ years mind you) when MS 'shut off' the servers then no one would have their games. People feared that and was one of the more vocal negatives about the DRM stuff that MS was implementing.

Even though folks like Major Nelson already said that 1) - We haven't even begun this generation, we're not focusing on the 'end' of it already. 2) They aren't going to do that to gamers.

So, by 'patching it in' now, they've shown us that they could always 'turn off' the restrictions if they wanted to. Thus quelling the future fears and concerns.

But, of course people didn't think they'd do it 10 years from now (let alone 5 months before the system debuts). But, it shows that they are able to do that

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I also think Microsoft's attempt to go "always on" exposed how inadequate online connectivity is throughout the world. Several parts of rural America doesn't have access to reliable, broadband internet. ISPs like Comcast, AT&T, etc are dragging their feet when it comes to improving their services. In an age of HD downloads and streaming, Comcast is still charging $40 for 3Mbps. A basic 4G smartphone is faster than basic landline internet. GameFly can't support consoles unless the console is always on. And nothing was more telling than the fact that Microsoft had to limit which countries the Xbox One would launch in. Stores around the world can't handle an online only console because they can't guarantee that their customers will have reliable internet or offer trade-ins. Nope, the world is not ready for an always connected video game console.

Microsoft will have to spend the next 8-10 years prepping the world for a digital console. Then maybe the next Xbox can go online only.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I also think Microsoft's attempt to go "always on" exposed how inadequate online connectivity is throughout the world. Several parts of rural America doesn't have access to reliable, broadband internet. ISPs like Comcast, AT&T, etc are dragging their feet when it comes to improving their services. In an age of HD downloads and streaming, Comcast is still charging $40 for 3Mbps. A basic 4G smartphone is faster than basic landline internet. GameFly can't support consoles unless the console is always on. And nothing was more telling than the fact that Microsoft had to limit which countries the Xbox One would launch in. Stores around the world can't handle an online only console because they can't guarantee that their customers will have reliable internet or offer trade-ins. Nope, the world is not ready for an always connected video game console.

Microsoft will have to spend the next 8-10 years prepping the world for a digital console. Then maybe the next Xbox can go online only.

If that were the case why not launch in Asia first - South Korea has the best digital infrastructure on the planet - Everyone has a download speed of at least 100mb/s. Japan isn't too far behind that and yet they are left hanging?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It isn't the first time when MS is way too much ahead of it's time with it's innovations. Think about almost anything mainstream in tech the last 10 years and the chances are MS did it before most others, but the time and technology available at that time just wasn't ripe for it back then. I see X1 as yet another example of this, but this time they actually decided to "tone it down" instead of releasing it as too much ahead of it's time and potentially falling short with it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If that were the case why not launch in Asia first - South Korea has the best digital infrastructure on the planet - Everyone has a download speed of at least 100mb/s. Japan isn't too far behind that and yet they are left hanging?

If I had to guess it's because, historically, Xbox sales in Asia have been abysmal. Making the necessary agreements for retailers to sell an online only console would have been money wasted.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Major Nelson has been listening to feedback since this announcement. He understands some still would like the features just removed. So hopefully they'll visit that and it sounds like they will talk about it.
The only issue I see is this. People who opt for the DRM and stuff, if they could play a game without putting their disc in, they could lend it to someone who plays offline. So I don't know how they could deal with and solve that problem. Unless they had it where you only can have those features if you do digital download only. It'd be nice if there was a way you could still buy a disc and have the features but again, how could they do it?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Major Nelson has been listening to feedback since this announcement. He understands some still would like the features just removed. So hopefully they'll visit that and it sounds like they will talk about it.
The only issue I see is this. People who opt for the DRM and stuff, if they could play a game without putting their disc in, they could lend it to someone who plays offline. So I don't know how they could deal with and solve that problem. Unless they had it where you only can have those features if you do digital download only. It'd be nice if there was a way you could still buy a disc and have the features but again, how could they do it?

Indeed, due to this I dont think there will ever be a way to do this if they keep the offline-option. Thus, the "DRM goodies" can (and should!) only really be delivered with digital games.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

The only way to do it would be to completely split it - Go digital - get drm 24 hour check in, always connected, family share digital resales, everything how they intended it - Go physical - lose drm, lose always connected, lose family share as it now.
You make your choice when you buy your game.

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Way to go pansies! Now I have to continue to lug my discs around when I leave town. Was so excited about sending ALL my games into the cloud so if I choose to take my X1 with me, I wouldn't have to cary discs.

Oooh, change, please, don't make me change! I can't stand having to be connected to the internet once a day!

A few stupid idiots ruined the future of gaming, god I hate having discs taking up physical space, heaven forbid they take away the ability to show all my friends just how many games I have by getting rid of discs!

Its time to get with the future of gaming. You want to keep your discs, go back to Sega Dreamcast ya stupes!

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
You listed "crushing the used game market" as a benefit?
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

yes, from a MS and publishers/developers stand point.
My post was about how gamestop etc may actually be worse off now.

They may be a bit better of in the short term, but i think MS will push even harder to make digital so compelling that people will not want disks regardless of trading them in.
Publishers will see more of the money they think their due via digital.

Xithryl

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Was just reading this Heartbroken MS employee - Pastebin.com Looks like the family share wasn't going to be as awesome as I originally thought, though still pretty cool. I'm kinda thinking that this is going to end up being a better approach. Slowly show gamers, and the journalists why these changes are good... We will get there

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Way to go pansies! Now I have to continue to lug my discs around when I leave town. Was so excited about sending ALL my games into the cloud so if I choose to take my X1 with me, I wouldn't have to cary discs.

Oooh, change, please, don't make me change! I can't stand having to be connected to the internet once a day!

A few stupid idiots ruined the future of gaming, god I hate having discs taking up physical space, heaven forbid they take away the ability to show all my friends just how many games I have by getting rid of discs!

Its time to get with the future of gaming. You want to keep your discs, go back to Sega Dreamcast ya stupes!

You still have the option to purchase your games digitally. That will address your complaints.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Also another reason they couldn't separate disk with digital regarding sharing etc. Is that if you buy digitally you can still play offline. So similar issues that you have with disk. So its a major change and not something that can easily be resolved prior to launch. Hence dropping of the cool features for now (hopefully)

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Guys you have to realize one thing. After the Windows 8 debacle Microsoft just had, they are not about to go the same route with the Xbox One. Though Win 8 is a great lovely innovation, the ignorant masses couldn't adapt to it and causing backlash against Microsoft. That's why I believe Microsoft is giving into the demands of the public so the One can be successful.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Also another reason they couldn't separate disk with digital regarding sharing etc. Is that if you buy digitally you can still play offline. So similar issues that you have with disk. So its a major change and not something that can easily be resolved prior to launch. Hence dropping of the cool features for now (hopefully)

That's not really a problem, cos it's easy to implement an option for "DRM free" or "online use"-kind of options. If you buy the the game digitally, you will be connected to the internet. There is no scenario where you could buy and install a digital game without being online, so before/during/upon downloading a digital game you could be allowed to choose whether you want to be able to share etc or be able to play the game offline. If you choose offline, you can do just that, if you choose to share, you can't play offline.

Although, I'm not sure if there is any risk whatsoever to allowing playing digital games offline baseline, cos there is no disc to give around to all of yours friends that could be exploited in the first place.. but the thing still is that the split between digital and disc based games is not a problem cos there is no scenario of installing a digital game without internet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos