Dropped DRM: Why I cancelled my order and so should you.

vovakyan

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
To the OP. I still think there might be fast game swaping between games. They never said they wouldn't sell digital copies anymore. So you shouldn't be required to use a disc if you buy digitally. The only feature we really lost from what I can tell is the 10 family game share.

You will not be able to buy a game and then go digital like before, which gives you way more options, and you were still going to be able to sell it.

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I had to write that in 5 minutes over the Microsoft store chat. If you can do a better job please go ahead and help. And I explained later on why I would be selling my shares.

Your response was that Microsoft made a knee jerk reaction, whereas anyone with business sense sees it at Microsoft responding to the consumer. Anyone checking out Forbes, NBC, ABC, Verge, Gizmodo, IGN etc etc all saw outrage with thousands of thousands of posts all showing displeasure, mainly over the 24 hour check in requirement. I've only seen maybe a dozen or so angry at the reversal of the DRM policy and almost all of them have appeared on microsoftnews.com and here at wpcentral. The people have spoken and the majority won.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
That is true. For myself I am going to buy digital copies as much as I can. So I think I'll be alright. I wish they would of been wiser with their decision. I believe their was a better comprise they could have come up with to please both sides of the argument.

rhodri22

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't really understand the OP. You're selling stock because MS made a decision based, I'm sure, on feedback from their focus groups and marketing departments. The decision to drop DRM won't impact the way the console works, any of the new game play options or cost. In essence, they've simply made the console more appealing to a wider audience, and frankly as a stockholder you should be happy about that as it would result in greater sales, therefore greater profits and a potentially better dividend.

Also this decision has no impact on any future decision, as it was influenced by the same people who have influenced recent MS products. If MS made kneejerk reactions to responses from the public I'm fairly sure that Windows Phone would have died ages ago, Windows 8 would not be introducing 8.1 but an updated Windows 7 or XP, and the Xbox would have never entered a second generation. To put simply, Microsoft will back anything to the hilt that they know is a better solution but practical. By forcing these DRM measures at this time might be the future, it's not practical while a large proportion of the target market aren't able to use it, either because they have poor internet or no internet at all.

Microsoft cannot afford for the Xbox One to flop especially when it's a core part of their three screens and a cloud vision of the future. Why risk that future?

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad they made the change even though I was personally fine with drm and looking forward to some of the digital features. There was really no reason for MS to continue to push digital though and a very good reason (sales) to give in to the vocal majority (yes majority). In the end, drm or not has very little to do with why I want the One. Games, 300k servers for LIve/cloud, snap, hdmi pass through, Kinect 2, those are the real features....and those haven't changed

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
That is true. For myself I am going to buy digital copies as much as I can. So I think I'll be alright. I wish they would of been wiser with their decision. I believe their was a better comprise they could have come up with to please both sides of the argument.
not in the short time that there is till launch. Maybe after launch.
They even said so, so all is not lost for
the future.
I think they may be able to come up with benefits for digitally bought games and leave disks as is. I really do think this could end up worse for GameStop as people will now have even more reason to go digital. If ms brings in selling, gifting, sharing to digital.

Savin Nay Wangtal

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I speak on behalf of a gamer, and not an MS ******:

I'm not getting XBone.

I never cared much for the DRM. I'm a PC gamer, and my primary games are all online--I know that any day, my favorite game can disappear. I'm used to not being able to give my old games to people--and that's fine for me. Hell, I was totally on the bandwagon with always giving the Dev a cut--AS LONG AS THEY DO IT FAIRLY AND WITH TRANSPARENCY.

See, with services like Good Old Games, I'm willing to pay up for games, and the service shows me goodwill by making it DRM-free. Steam had a spotty launch, but the community was much smaller back then, so the problem never devolved into verification errors weeks after a game launch. Not to mention they also added offline mode--again, a sign of goodwill.
And what did MS tells us? "Oh, if you can't afford an always on connection, get a 360--you're not for us!" That's right, they just shat in my face.
Or the console launch event? "Here are all the services we have for non-gamers. You gamers.....we'll show you a mo-cap dog!"
Or for those of us (me, for example) outside of the US? "Oh, our services really doesn't quite extend to you. Yeah....those online TVs? Nope, not available in your territory. Want the console anyway? Nah, we don't sell one in your region. Oh, you're from Europe? Here's one for 620 bucks!"

It doesn't matter how they backtracked, it doesn't matter if they "listened to the weak and feeble-minded", we gamers are not going to condone the XBone because we are no longer their valued customer. MS insulted us repeatedly, treated us like fools, and they are catering all their services to Apple fans. In all honesty, no gamers would be able to forgive MS for quite a good while.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Good bye to DRM, got my pc for that console is the pure classic gaming i enjoy with my family, I enjoy getting preowned deals i cant afford new games all the time. Zero restrictions on my games are welcome. If you are that bothered with DRM buy a gaming pc and connect it to your tv steam has an mode where you can use just a controller. What ms were trying to do has been done I don't need them doing it, console gaming is apart from that world for a reason!

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If there's a patch can I opt out of the patch I don't mind drm. change is good
lol, I thought about doing the same thing. However, there's a 99.9999% chance it will be a system-wide patch, and you will be signed out of Xbox Live until you download it. Unfortunately, that's no good, because you would need to be connected anyway :p

Skunkwurx

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I am so pissed off at tech journalists for ruining what was in my eyes one of the best things about xbox.... I even convinced non-techy ps4 heads to convert... Why, because EVERYONE I know has had the net for the past 5-8 years, I'm sorry but this is 2013 where the only people without internet are over 70... (if you can't afford the internet you damn well can't afford the XBO) With the internet (which is only going to get more widespread) the drm system KILLED the disc.... No scratched on second hand games, playing in a mates with out the disc, giving digital loans and so on...

One thing everyone missed is remember how MS said games will be able to offload processing to the cloud? the only way a dev will do that is if he knows everyone has the net so everyone can play.... GONE... XBO was so close to being able to have full on cloud games but no.... Retards using the internet to complain about needing the internet.... WHAT??????????? I'd nearly guarantee that 99% of complainers have the net (tho by the way they say it drops out and is glitch i'd say they get 5 min a week) and were never going to buy one.... XBO has stepped back a generation.... no other way to put it...

Where did you send an email to Microsoft... Can never find an email address I looking for or even area of complaint.... infact I could never find the complaint section.....

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am so pissed off at tech journalists for ruining what was in my eyes one of the best things about xbox.... I even convinced non-techy ps4 heads to convert... Why, because EVERYONE I know has had the net for the past 5-8 years, I'm sorry but this is 2013 where the only people without internet are over 70... (if you can't afford the internet you damn well can't afford the XBO) With the internet (which is only going to get more widespread) the drm system KILLED the disc.... No scratched on second hand games, playing in a mates with out the disc, giving digital loans and so on...

One thing everyone missed is remember how MS said games will be able to offload processing to the cloud? the only way a dev will do that is if he knows everyone has the net so everyone can play.... GONE... XBO was so close to being able to have full on cloud games but no.... Retards using the internet to complain about needing the internet.... WHAT??????????? I'd nearly guarantee that 99% of complainers have the net (tho by the way they say it drops out and is glitch i'd say they get 5 min a week) and were never going to buy one.... XBO has stepped back a generation.... no other way to put it...

Where did you send an email to Microsoft... Can never find an email address I looking for or even area of complaint.... infact I could never find the complaint section.....
Get your facts straight before you starting calling others retards.
Microsoft's cloud computing 'vision' for Xbox One remains unchanged | Joystiq

vovakyan

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

You are right. I forgot to mention that, but that was also one of my considerations. Now it is completely underpowered compared to the PS4.

I logged into the Microsoft Store to cancel my order using the chat feature. While I was doing that, the rep told me that I could take a few minutes to write up something he would forward. Also, on the official XBOX website there is a feedback button. He told me to post it there also.

VidJuhEffex

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Those are the real features... to you. To me, Family Sharing was a "real" feature. As for the 300k servers, developers will be less inclined to use them for "mind-blowing" stuff since they want the biggest market and won't want to excluded the "offline" players out there. For the same reason they included the Kinect, they required you to be online... DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS! Now the cloud is going to sit there and host game saves and multiplayer servers... yay! /s.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
You are right. I forgot to mention that, but that was also one of my considerations. Now it is completely underpowered compared to the PS4.

you don't seem to be aware that the change in drm has nothing to do with cloud computing.
That was and still is ms's plans, absolutely nothing has changed in that regard.
Regardless if you believe in cloud extra processing or not.
And when i say nothings changed, i mean absolutely nothing. Not even, them having to push it into future, less developers using it, nothing, it's still the same.
People keep, mixing up what change in drm actually means.
Maybe down to ms mixed messaging to begin with?

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
How can it be the same if you are not obligated to be online and the developers has no reason to develop for that scenario. It's a pipe dream now. Check your sources.
How about you provide a reliable source to the contrary of the one I provided?

Since you seem to agree with the person I was replying to ... then I'll assume you agree with his/her statement that 99% of the people are online. In that case there will be minimal if any impact on cloud gaming.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
How can it be the same if you are not obligated to be online and the developers has no reason to develop for that scenario. It's a pipe dream now. Check your sources.

Why do they have no reason to develop for that scenario? It is their game. If they want it to have cloud computing to enhance the overall experience they can. The developer will just have to require you to have internet connection for the game. To say they have no reason to develop for cloud computing is absurd! The ideal scenario would be for them to design the games to work with and without cloud computing. To keep everyone happy. It is not a pipe dream.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss