Dropped DRM: Why I cancelled my order and so should you.

VidJuhEffex

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
This is the comparison: When Jet Force Gemini came out for the N64 their team was asked whether or not they wanted to require the optional "expansion pack" (remember that thing?) They decided AGAINST it, because they knew every gamer DIDN'T have the expansion pack so it was a safe bet they would have a larger audience.

Despite record-breaking sales, the Kinect, had a hard time gaining dedicated development because, again, we know 100% of xbox gamers have Xboxes, but only x amount have Kinects. This is why they included it in the box.

It's going to be the same for the cloud: "We could use the cloud but x% of Xboxes are offline, lets sell to the bigger audience"

The 24 check in was basically a guarantee to developers, "Yes they are online, yes use the cloud". Without out that, its Kinect and PSMove development all over again. Expect 1st party devs to use it and third party support to all but dry up beyond game saves and hosting MP matches.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft had no choice. The media ****storm was too great. There was no discussion about the awesome new tech of XBox One, only DRM/DRM/DRM, non-stop. Combnied with bad pre-order #s and the Navy boycott. Microsoft needed to reset the discussion. They will reintroduce the digital sharing options over time and in a way that doesn't offend hard-core gamers and Navy men.

vovakyan

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
How about you provide a reliable source to the contrary of the one I provided?

Since you seem to agree with the person I was replying to ... then I'll assume you agree with his/her statement that 99% of the people are online. In that case there will be minimal if any impact on cloud gaming.

If 99% of people are going to be online then didn't Microsoft overreact and we lost some great features going back to my original post.

vovakyan

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft had no choice. The media ****storm was too great. There was no discussion about the awesome new tech of XBox One, only DRM/DRM/DRM, non-stop. Combnied with bad pre-order #s and the Navy boycott. Microsoft needed to reset the discussion. They will reintroduce the digital sharing options over time and in a way that doesn't offend hard-core gamers and Navy men.

They will have no reason to anymore.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Reset the discussion? All they did was fan the flames and make stuff worse with their PR disaster. They never even tried to BETTER the discussion, let alone make it swing to the positive.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's going to be the same for the cloud: "We could use the cloud but x% of Xboxes are offline, lets sell to the bigger audience"

The 24 check in was basically a guarantee to developers, "Yes they are online, yes use the cloud". Without out that, its Kinect and PSMove development all over again. Expect 1st party devs to use it and third party support to all but dry up beyond game saves and hosting MP matches.

Yet Microsoft never discussed this. They basically hoped that people would ignore inconvenience and EXPECT improvements, instead of explaining what the benefits would be and why there had to be tradeoffs, Microsoft just decided to say "we're providing these inconveniences, but stuff might be better." They never really explained themselves, and they never tried to quiet the dissenters. Honestly, it's as if they WANTED the backlash as an excuse to kill the DRM or something.

Also, don't underestimate the fact that the Kinect was a laggy, inconsistent mess in many cases. A lot of popular titles simply were incapable of working with the first Kinect, simply because of technological limitations.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If 99% of people are going to be online then didn't Microsoft overreact and we lost some great features going back to my original post.
You're changing the subject. I was replying to someone else's misstatement regarding cloud, you stepped into it. You still haven't provided a link to any reputable source suggesting cloud is hurt by this move. I have no patience for crybabies who call people ignorant or retards (our military included) because they had legitimate grievances/concerns with a poorly communicated and explained DRM system and the suggestion they buy a 360 if they don't like it. Apparently you choose to commiserate with and defend such crybabies, even when they're wrong and hypocritical.

vovakyan

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
You're changing the subject. I was replying to someone else's misstatement regarding cloud, you stepped into it. You still haven't provided a link to any reputable source suggesting cloud is hurt by this move. I have no patience for crybabies who call people ignorant or retards (our military included) because they had legitimate grievances/concerns with a poorly communicated and explained DRM system and the suggestion they buy a 360 if they don't like it. Apparently you choose to commiserate with and defend such crybabies, even when they're wrong and hypocritical.

I don't think you are following what I am saying. Anyways, I preordered the console because of some great new features. They changed those features without any regard to the people that preordered it. That is why those people should cancel, to make a statement, and maybe even get some of those features back. People need to make a statement with their pocketbooks. You can always change your mind and buy one again. Especially if you like paying more for less.

Last edited:

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
PR disaster? what you wanted from Microsoft, drawings explaining why they wanted a 24 hour check? are you that silly you cant understand their English or the English some good few news sites like WPcentral that tried to give not crappy info others like The verge, kotaku did?

why news sites like the verge, engadget, kotaku, instead of making crappy articles, didnt they make a better job explaining in apparently better English how the DRM would benefit? now some features are gone, engadget seems to do it but why not before? why people in The Verge like tom Warren talked crap, gave false rumors and today he was talking more crap like "oh Xbox lost good features blabla" like if he didn't give bad information in the verge.
news sites LOVED to give bad news about MS, like when they said "ALL games were running in NVidia blabla" and it was just one game and it was developer decision. but then in small words "update" at the end of the article where not many would read that crap and they would read the title, see the pictures and scream "M$ fail, all the games were running in pcs! not even windows 8 so they don't even have confidence in windows 8"
so yeah, only because YOU apparently need drawings and special words like if you were in kindergarten, it doesn't mean they never explained anything, and gave reasons for the DRM to be in place. maybe im still smarter, and I will be always smarter than you, because I understood the theory of what Microsoft was offering me and it sounded good.
How about MS directly address why they need the 24hr check instead of leaving it up to everyone to answer/guess for themselves? They couldn't even offer a coherent sentence, let alone a drawing. As for your condescending attitude ... it is abundantly clear who has the higher intelligence just from reading Keith's and your posts in this thread. Here's a hint -- it isn't you ��.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
PR disaster? what you wanted from Microsoft, drawings explaining why they wanted a 24 hour check? are you that silly you cant understand their English or the English some good few news sites like WPcentral that tried to give not crappy info others like The verge, kotaku did?

why news sites like the verge, engadget, kotaku, instead of making crappy articles, didnt they make a better job explaining in apparently better English how the DRM would benefit? now some features are gone, engadget seems to do it but why not before? why people in The Verge like tom Warren talked crap, gave false rumors and today he was talking more crap like "oh Xbox lost good features blabla" like if he didn't give bad information in the verge.
news sites LOVED to give bad news about MS, like when they said "ALL games were running in NVidia blabla" and it was just one game and it was developer decision. but then in small words "update" at the end of the article where not many would read that crap and they would read the title, see the pictures and scream "M$ fail, all the games were running in pcs! not even windows 8 so they don't even have confidence in windows 8"
so yeah, only because YOU apparently need drawings and special words like if you were in kindergarten, it doesn't mean they never explained anything, and gave reasons for the DRM to be in place. maybe im still smarter, and I will be always smarter than you, because I understood the theory of what Microsoft was offering me and it sounded good.

Hmm, what would I want?

1. NOT telling people that the solution is "play the 360." It's true, but it's not a well-thought-out statement. It is delivered as almost a "we dare you not to buy our console."
2. ANY meaningful clarification on the sharing feature. Honestly, the "library that follows you anywhere," idea isn't something that needs the DRM to exist, nor is it even that big of a deal when the disc can do the install once and be on the console forever (though they've since added the persistent disc check).
3. Have some statements that aren't "we'll explain later." It sounds like the concept is either half-hearted or intended to fail.

As for what other sites did, it's not their job to be the Microsoft PR department. On top of that, they can't report on what they don't know (such as the way that the sharing would work).

It's pretty great how you can't have any kind of rational discussion though, between the vitriolic demeanor, constant insults, and total lack of grammar above a third-grade level. Honestly, all saying that I "need drawings and special words like if you were in kindergarten" does is completely dismantle your argument, both because what you're doing is ignoring the fact that EVERYONE was asking for clarification that never came, and it makes your points seem more about attacking me than providing a logical, well-made argument.

So, not only did you deliver falsehoods by stating that Microsoft was being blatant in their explanations, but you also elected to deliver those falsehoods in a manner that made you sound like you are incapable of rational discussions. I'll go ahead and ignore your blind defense of lies and half-truths though, because it's not worth the verbal abuse to read your unfounded lies and insults.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Emi,
This is a problem with public school system, they only read picture books now a days. No need for critical thinking.

There's critical thinking (which applies to determining the reason behind the inclusion of the Kinect), and then there's expecting us to guess things right on our own (which applies to interpreting why the Kinect has to be present for the console to POST, along with trying to figure out how the family sharing would function).

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
They changed those features without any regard to the people that preordered it. That is why those people should cancel, to make a statement, and maybe even get some of those features back. People need to make a statement with there pocketbooks.

Thing is, this all happened already, which is why the change occurred. Microsoft changed the game management policies without thinking about how the group could be inconvenienced (such as military members and those in rural areas). People spoke with their wallets (sorry, we don't all have pocketbooks, hah), and that's part of why there were big preorder differences being reported.

Microsoft realized that not only were those who wouldn't be able to rely on their Internet going to pass on the console, but there were many who would pass simply on principal of inconvenience to those who were being forcibly removed from the Xbox One experience with that online requirement. Those two groups likely outweigh those such as yourself, who will avoid the console because it doesn't offer MORE than the PlayStation, in terms of game management, but rather policies on-par with what Sony has in-place.

Those such as yourself are free to speak with your pocketbooks (something I ALWAYS encourage those who are not satisfied to do--I did it for about 5.5 years with EA), but I think the issue here is that the group who will do so on your side of the aisle is smaller than the pro-disc opposition.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you are following what I am saying. Anyways, I preordered the console because of some great new features. They changed those features without any regard to the people that preordered it. That is why those people should cancel, to make a statement, and maybe even get some of those features back. People need to make a statement with there pocketbooks. You can always change your mind and buy one again. Especially if you like paying more for less.
I am following what you are saying in your original post and it's your $500 so do whatever you want with it. Since then, however, you've gone from complaining about the ignorance of the misinformed to perpetuating the ignorance of the misinformed. Then you make a cheekie little remark about the public education system, when it appears whatever brilliant alternative education you came up through didn't adequately teach you proper use of their/there/they're. WPCentral isn't gamefaqs or ign, people come here for something a little more than sophomoric level banter.

vovakyan

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
How about MS directly address why they need the 24hr check instead of leaving it up to everyone to answer/guess for themselves? They couldn't even offer a coherent sentence, let alone a drawing. As for your condescending attitude ... it is abundantly clear who has the higher intelligence just from reading Keith's and your posts in this thread. Here's a hint -- it isn't you ��.

Actually, MS clarified it multiple times. People didn't want to hear it. They were concerned with overly dramatic headlines. How many times have they said start screen, and people are still complaining about a start button. They can't advertise intelligence. They made a major announcement before E3,and people still didn't want to hear it.

They should have brought out the system as originally advertised, and then they could have made an offline mode. Taking away the great features was not the solution. That is my point.

Keith admitted that 99% of people have internet and for those people the DRM was better, and now MSFT is catering to the 1%. I had purchased it for those very advantages and I rightfully so canceled it.

There are a lot of rural places that people would love to have cable, but it is not offered. One day it will come around until then they can use the antenna. Doesn't mean we should go to major cities and take their cable away.

If Microsoft wants to succeed in the future innovative ideas will payoff, and backward ideas will put them further behind their real competition.

vovakyan

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
WPCentral isn't gamefaqs or ign, people come here for something a little more than sophomoric level banter.

That is why I am here. I was looking forward to all of the innovation MSFT was starting to offer, but it is slipping away. I had started to migrate away from Google (search, email, android), and my wife is starting to like using my RT over her Ipad. I had high hopes for MSFT, but I feel like the needs of people like me are getting pushed aside by whiners, who really do not support MSFT anyways. If they want to appease them good for them, people like me will find a new ecosystem.

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Why are you comparing the Xbox One to anything Apple has done. Last I checked MacBooks, iPads, and iPods don't have to be connected to the internet every 24 hours for it to work. Neither should the Xbox One if you are solely playing single player games.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Keith admitted that 99% of people have internet and for those people the DRM was better, and now MSFT is catering to the 1%. I had purchased it for those very advantages and I rightfully so canceled it.
Doesn't matter what's better, people hate change. You rightfully cancelled, doesn't mean everyone else should. Just because Microsoft took a futuristic approach doesn't mean it would have succeeded in the market. Sometimes, you need to get your foot in the door before you welcome yourself into the home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786