Dropped DRM: Why I cancelled my order and so should you.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Double check with your DSL provider and you will find that you have that low price for only a limited time (12 months). And if that is the case, then admit you will be paying $40/month for DSL.
2. Yes you are right. I never said it was 15 hours. But let me spell it out for you.
12:00 AM: In line to pick up game.
12:30 AM: Paid for game out the door.
12:45 AM: Got home from the store.
1:00 AM: Installed playing a game.
2:00 AM: Your bedtime.
So that one hour of extra play you might get is good enough reason for you?

Instead of maybe going to bed waking up early and sharing your game with a friend and having fun. Wow I really do love your option better.

1. What? We've had this DSL connection for, IDK, 5 years? It's $20 or $30 per month, I can't recall.
2. I think you overestimate the time there. I live within 15 minutes of 4 GameStops (2 were EB Games stores, but were converted after that buyout). 2 of them are across the street from another, and a third is one block away from those two. I can get in and out of that third one (which is NEVER busy) in 5 minutes, no problem. It would be more like getting home at about 12:20 AM. We also have no idea if a) the install takes 15 minutes, or b) if you can play during the install (though I doubt it, people think it possible with a digital installation). Oh, and what's the alternative? Start the DL at midnight, it finishes at 3 PM, and I get to play it when I get home from class, around 7:30 PM. I'd MUCH prefer to pick up the disc, get home no later than 12:30 AM, get it installed by 12:45 AM, play for 75-90 minutes, then be able to wake up at 9 or 10 AM, play for 2-3 MORE hours, then head off to class.

See, you're doing what EVERYONE seems to do--you make the assumption that I'm saying to get rid of your way for my way. I'm saying let them co-exist, because it's not even hard to conceive of a way that they could (I've given examples on multiple occasions as it is). I like my option better because I get to play for 3-4 hours before class, and it doesn't hinder your intentions whatsoever.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My PC is basically rendered useless if the internet cuts off, pretty much instantly with no 24h grace times, cos everything I do on my PC is online. I'm one of those that do not play offline/single player games, at least not on PC.

Well, that is because you CHOOSE to not use the offline functions. In the Xbox One's original scenario, the offline functions would be forcibly taken away after 24 hours. Your disinterest in a campaign doesn't mean that no one likes it.

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
It's not about having internet, it's about getting internet to the XBone. Like I explained earlier, my old roommate keeps his systems in his basement. No jack for his internet there. Modem and router are elsewhere. WiFi does not reach his set up. Active military personnel. People who go on trips. No matter how you slice and dice it, supporting the old model shuts these people out completely. The new model gives everyone the same capabilities as the 360/PS4, the old model gives some people no capabilities. Which do you think is better?

Honestly, it doesn't sound like anyone's excited to share games with a family plan anyways. Seems like everyone is really excited to freeload off of other people's libraries. Seems kind of selfish.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not about having internet, it's about getting internet to the XBone. Like I explained earlier, my old roommate keeps his systems in his basement. No jack for his internet there. Modem and router are elsewhere. WiFi does not reach his set up. Active military personnel. People who go on trips. No matter how you slice and dice it, supporting the old model shuts these people out completely. The new model gives everyone the same capabilities as the 360/PS4, the old model gives some people no capabilities. Which do you think is better?

Honestly, it doesn't sound like anyone's excited to share games with a family plan anyways. Seems like everyone is really excited to freeload off of other people's libraries. Seems kind of selfish.

I guess I am an exception because I automatically thought "hey, I buy a lot of games and I have some friends that do not, but I like to game with them...this is perfect for me and my friends."

In a way it is selfish I guess, I would rather play my games with friends than by myself or with randoms.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
DRM - always online and cloud gaming IS the future and both MS and Sony know this, but tis not ready yet. A lot of people still don't have very good internet connections. Maybe in 2 or 3 years MS will re-patch the XBOX for cloud gaming and always online etc, but right now, its not ready, and more importantly, the buying public aren't ready for it.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That's how your technologically-incompetent aunt ends up buying a laptop, taking it back, buying another, being unable to take it back, buying a third laptop, and putting the second on eBay.

Why would you buy something that you don't like in the first place, or not confident because it may not support your needs. People could ask for help, but that's different from telling people to not buy this or that because of your opinion

Last edited by a moderator:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Ask your friend to look into a wifi extender (also called a wifi repeater). Aside from the device itself there's no additional cost and he should be able to cover any dead spots in his home.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: NEW DRM: Why I cancelled my order and so should you.

Does anyone actually like DRM?
I don't like DRM, but there are so many pirates that it is a necessary evil. That said, I was fine with the DRM MS was planning to use because I wanted to buy the discs, but still play the games discless.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
People REALLY need to use a dictionary before they type things. Do you get what "entitled," means?
Yes. Do you?

It's not Microsoft's job to serve people with a lack of reading comprehension and fear of change a console they want. Microsoft doesn't owe those people anything, but they felt entitled to that and hence worked to destroy the XB1's reputation, even to the stage where FUD was being spread on US national television – to applause. A 24 hour check does not constitute online play.

least latency I could get connected to a server in the US is 250ms, at about 3 in the morning.
And this is a concern for a daily check why?

rocking23nf

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I will refute your post with several points that apply to me.

I play in 2 places, home, and my cabin, I have no internet or cell phone access at my cabin, its in a weird valley, so I cannot play under the old rules at my cabin anymore.

second, with a cloud based drm, I cannot rent games from the library anymore, my library has around 20 copies of pretty much every xbox game. I have rented probably 50 games in the last year, I would bet 30 of those games were turds or less then 10 hours playtime. Without renting, I have to rely on reviews that tend to be skewed towards certain publishers. Or I take the change and spend 60$ on a game to hope it doesn't suck, and although people think a cloud based system will drop prices like steam does, Microsoft will never do it, at best they will sell for 10-15% off, which is still a rip off.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I agree with you on the first part. I wouldn't be negatively affected by the 24-hour check-in, but I was against having that as the only option because I knew others would be inconvenienced (to the point of being unable to purchase the console) because of it. My issues with it were 100% selfless, as they were because I wanted the console to be flexible enough for anyone to use it. I never have issues with Internet outages myself, but I thought it was a terrible idea to have no other form of license checking.

Oh, and I'm not in that boat of "only wanting to get free games," either. I was actually thinking more of an instance where those in my group would take turns buying games, then share them with the others. For example, I might buy Forza 5 and share it with others, then my cousin might buy Madden, my brother-in-law might buy Call of Duty, and my dad might buy my little brothers LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, and we'd all share those games amongst ourselves.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Do you?

It's not Microsoft's job to serve people with a lack of reading comprehension and fear of change a console they want. Microsoft doesn't owe those people anything, but they felt entitled to that and hence worked to destroy the XB1's reputation, even to the stage where FUD was being spread on US national television – to applause. A 24 hour check does not constitute online play.

So, again, telling Microsoft that because they do not offer a product that I wish to purchase, that makes me entitled? I did not say that I DESERVED anything. I did not demand a change. I said that the current system did not appeal to me. They changed their minds of their own free will. That is how economics works--a business provides a good, then adjusts its offerings depending on what consumers do and do not purchase.

Consumer feedback is not entitlement. It's offering an opinion and attempting to suggest improvements to the manufacturer.

Digital Savior

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I felt crushed when Microsoft removed the family share and the whole digital future. Was going to get a bunch of games at midnight but now I will just purchase them digitally. I'm hoping the restore the functionality later on for digital titles.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I cancelled my pre-order when they downgraded it to a PS4.

Even as it is, the X1 still does a whole lot more than the PS4. X1s offgaming capabilities weren't really affected at all by this. I plan to buy most games digitally just to get the "old glory" back and enjoy what I find to be far more advanced than the PS4 :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo