Dropped DRM: Why I cancelled my order and so should you.

Yakkob

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone. This topic was so important that I decided to create an account and my first thread. I know many of you are disappointed with the new DRM, and so was I. That is why I cancelled my preorder. I think we were all caught in the squeaking wheel getting greased dilemma, and now we need to take action of our own. I hope everyone that liked the original DRM, and was compelled to preorder the XBOX ONE decided to cancel it, like I did. This is the letter I sent Microsoft. If anyone wants to see, I can provide my cancellation email. I am not a PS troll, I was a MSFT fan as the following letter shows. Help support the movement and get everyone you know to cancel. We should not be bullied by the ignorant.

Dear Microsoft,
As a supporter of your new ecosystem, I am deeply saddened and shocked at the changes you made to your DRM policy for the XBOX ONE.

I am an owner of a Windows 8 Desktop, Surface RT, and the Lumia 928. As an Aerospace Engineer working for the DOD, I saw the potential in all of your new products. I was also glad that you were not folding to all of the pressure of people that want to live in the past. It is a sad day that you have decided to give in. All of the whiners and complainers that will still complain have won, and all of your true supporters were ignored. I made the decision to preorder an XBOX ONE because I saw all of the negative and false news coming out from people that did not and would not give it a chance; that was the very reason I supported you with my pocketbook. Just as with the purchase of the Surface RT. Now that this seems like the way Microsoft will be going, maybe I should sell my stock in the company. Why would you be competing with a company like Sony on its way down and out? Isn't the path innovation and the future, not the past? Look at what Apple has accomplished by creating its own path.

This is the reason I have cancelled my preorder. I will not buy an XBOX ONE. I will most likely not buy another windows product and I will sell my shares in Microsoft. Why would anyone want to walk up to their console and change the disk when they want to change the game? Why would people not want to share their games digitally? I hope you are glad racing Sony to the bottom.

Did you ever wonder that maybe it was people that just needed something to complain about and there was actually nothing wrong with your DRM. Yes, maybe you are selling more now because of all the hyped up publicity, but be aware that it won't last when the true believer realized what they lost. Look at all the forums of people shocked by the changes you made, which are more than the original group of whiners. I hope that your decision is augmented or reverted so I that one day I might enjoy an XBOX ONE. Thanks for your time.

V/R,
Vovakyan

EDIT:
I want everyone to understand that I loved the original concept including the following abilities: Multi-media, the new windows eco system, sharing games, buying disks and just using them to install, and all of the original DRM policies. Microsoft took a step back, and I will stop my support.

Yakkob

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
So let me get this straight, you're going to sell your shares and not buy another ms product because you're too lazy to get off your buttocks ti swap a dvd in the drive?? Jesus Christ, get a grip.
I, as one of the majority am glad that ms have u-turned. Herees my reasoning. .. I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks. I wan to lend my eldest son my games whilst in away (he lives away from home - uni.. ). When we go away, we turn all electrical things off. Everything!. So now he cant borrow my games as i would gave to leave the xbox on to check in every 24 hours. What a stupid idea. All if the 'lazy' excuses for the drm.. Is exactly that.. LAZY. ... Oh no, I've got to lug my xbox one around to my mates to play games, and i have got to get up to change a dvd in the drive... Bollocks.. Really.. You should listen to yourselves.

stiflingcobra

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
The more i think about it the more they should have just had a compromise. If you can't go inline then request the disk. But if you buy a game digitally you should still be able to share them.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
telling Microsoft that because they do not offer a product that I wish to purchase…
"Consumer feedback" is not what was happening on the web. There were some perfectly reasonable stances to take against Microsoft's original system, but that's not what the bulk of the conversation was comprised of. It was fear-mongering and spreading lies in an effort to destroy a product. This is an Internet trend that really hit a pinnacle for me in this case – people filled with self-importance who take their misinformed opinions to an extreme to rip apart a person or group of people, then maintain such positions even when it comes to light that they were wrong. Be opinionated all you want – I am. But admitting and correcting your mistakes is the important part, and instead we have the masses and "Internet famous" people they follow displaying nothing but arrogance and entitlement.

I think I'm done with this conversation though, it seems you're trying to spin my comments to feed into your rants.

The more i think about it the more they should have just had a compromise. If you can't go inline then request the disk. But if you buy a game digitally you should still be able to share them.
Ideal situation would have been a hybrid approach, but that wouldn't have given them the ability to say that "always online" is gone. There's been a whole lot of FUD and I'm not sure such a change would have been bold enough to combat that blitz. I think they wanted to be able to offer up a "clean slate" of sorts – we're giving you what Sony gives you, be happy.

Yakkob

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
This is the first time i have even wrote about the xbox one. I have had a 360 for years as have my sons and their mates. I am not alone in this reasoning and obviously i must be in a majority for ms to do such a huge u-turn. Pre-orders is what ms looked at, and what the majority were saying. There is no smoke without fire. The drm could have been a compromise. I have bought in to the total ms ecosystem but am totally let down by 'their' future. I actually think its too late now anyway, as if they can 'turn off' this feature just like that, I'm pretty sure they will be turning it back on in little stages at a later date, and for that reason (in the words of Peter Jones. - I'm OUT) .. You can take the reply as you see fit, but i answered your quibbles, and to be fair they are pretty pathetic arguments, as is everyone's who is bemoaning the u-turn.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This is the first time i have even wrote about the xbox one. I have had a 360 for years as have my sons and their mates. I am not alone in this reasoning and obviously i must be in a majority for ms to do such a huge u-turn. Pre-orders is what ms looked at, and what the majority were saying. There is no smoke without fire. The drm could have been a compromise. I have bought in to the total ms ecosystem but am totally let down by 'their' future. I actually think its too late now anyway, as if they can 'turn off' this feature just like that, I'm pretty sure they will be turning it back on in little stages at a later date, and for that reason (in the words of Peter Jones. - I'm OUT) .. You can take the reply as you see fit, but i answered your quibbles, and to be fair they are pretty pathetic arguments, as is everyone's who is bemoaning the u-turn.

Bye then.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It's not all lost in this regard either. They said they are planning to implement some of the good stuff back at least for digital games in the future. It might take some time though, but I'm looking forward to see what kind of improvements are made in the long run.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would just like to reiterate that i am out as far as the xboxone is concerned. Still plenty of life in the old 360 ;)
Oh ... and.. See ya Martin.. Where you off? ;)

Really? the way you were going on it sounded like you were dumping everything MS. In the words of Peter Jones "Im out" - Sounds pretty final to me. I'm not off anywhere, I'm omnipresent, I'm everywhere.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
There were some perfectly reasonable stances to take against Microsoft's original system, but that's not what the bulk of the conversation was comprised of. It was fear-mongering and spreading lies in an effort to destroy a product. This is an Internet trend that really hit a pinnacle for me in this case – people filled with self-importance who take their misinformed opinions to an extreme to rip apart a person or group of people, then maintain such positions even when it comes to light that they were wrong. Be opinionated all you want – I am. But admitting and correcting your mistakes is the important part, and instead we have the masses and "Internet famous" people they follow displaying nothing but arrogance and entitlement.

So some people were rude in their Internet posts, so that makes anyone who did not support the all-DRM system "entitled?" Demeanor doesn't speak to entitlement anyway, expectations do. Saying those who spoke out against the DRM policy are entitled for wanting to play offline is no different than talking badly about a car with bad gas mileage because you want better gas mileage. Does not liking the gas mileage on a car make you entitled? No, it doesn't. Simply having a dissenting opinion, regardless of how loudly or angrily you express that opinion, does not speak to a level of entitlement.

Really, can you say what makes those people entitled? I've said why I think that this DOESN'T, but all you want to say is that I'm wrong, without backing it up with any explanation. I'm not even calling you wrong, just claiming that I disagree. If you have something to back the claim that people are entitled for not liking the DRM system, please present it, and I'll admit if your proof gives evidence to your claim.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Really? the way you were going on it sounded like you were dumping everything MS. In the words of Peter Jones "Im out" - Sounds pretty final to me. I'm not off anywhere, I'm omnipresent, I'm everywhere.

I swear, if I see you in my kitchen when I go in there to do the dishes in a moment, I'm calling to cops.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Today is a perfect example of why I'm glad MS is simplifying the launch DRM:
- I have an XBL family account for my kids and me
- I got my son a Windows phone today
- He can't download apps to the phone because family members can't have credit cards on their XBL account
- I have spent the past hour trying to figure this out, then when I think I finally have the solution the Live commerce site won't load on my tablet or computer
- I'm now on hold with customer support
- Much more of this and I'm going to be forced to return the Windows phone and get him an iPhone, teens only have so much patience for this stuff...

Last time I got a new MS device was the Surface, it took me 2 hours of trying until I found out I couldn't configure my e-mail account because Surface didn't support POP3.

I can only imagine what Nov 27th would have been like with the originally planned DRM and I bet a lot of XBO's would have gotten boxed back up and returned.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Regarding not being able to DL stuff on WP8 with a family Gold plan, I believe you can go into the XBL site and set him as an adult, that will give him access to buy apps... Had to do that with my wife, LOL

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that they WERE prepared, and that's why they were able to revert to the old system so quickly. I really think that they had the old system created as a backup to this new one, just in case people didn't like the new DRM policies.

I mean. There was so much hate and backlash going on prior to the X1 reveal. So they should have known they needed to present this DRM stuff clearly. They failed so bad, and still struggled to explain it properly after the X1 reveal. E3 gave us nothing but "If you don't have online, buy a 360". It just amazes me that their PR failed so badly.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Regarding not being able to DL stuff on WP8 with a family Gold plan, I believe you can go into the XBL site and set him as an adult, that will give him access to buy apps... Had to do that with my wife, LOL
Thanks for the advice. I ended up having to clear the cache on my web browser, log in to the commerce site, enter a credit card for my son's account (cannot do this through Xbox Live), then wait 5 minutes. Now he can download apps.

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
See, the problem is that I just don't want a PS4. If they had the games I want, then I would be interested. But yo, they don't. That game Deep Down, hasn't actually got announced, and its not even actually gonna be Dragon's Dogma 2. Its just sort of in the same universe. What did get announced was Dead Rising 3.

With me, its games-games-games. I simply can't get excited for games that don't exist to me yet. I-Just-Don't-Care for these current PS4 games. Mlah.
E3 2013: Energy Drinks Are Ammo in Sunset Overdrive - Giant Bomb :smile:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
See, the problem is that I just don't want a PS4. If they had the games I want, then I would be interested. But yo, they don't. That game Deep Down, hasn't actually got announced, and its not even actually gonna be Dragon's Dogma 2. Its just sort of in the same universe. What did get announced was Dead Rising 3.

With me, its games-games-games. I simply can't get excited for games that don't exist to me yet. I-Just-Don't-Care for these current PS4 games. Mlah.
E3 2013: Energy Drinks Are Ammo in Sunset Overdrive - Giant Bomb :smile:

Same deal here. I'm iffy on getting the One right now, though I'd kind-of like to. However, I primarily like FPS titles, and that's not where the PlayStation shines. That, and I plan to keep my 360 regardless, and I'm not going to pay for XBL and PSN+ together, it's just not worth it. The ONLY game that I would have had a high level of interest in on PS4 would have been Kingdom Hearts 3, but with that making its way to the Xbox, that killed Sony's one selling point. I'd like to get MLB: The Show, but it's not worth a purchase of a console on its own.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
No game is worth a purchase of a console IMO. Just a bad case of priorities you got then. And yeah, not going to buy either console, but given my love for a diverse range of games, I'll probably be getting the PS4 when they release a slim version down the road.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2