Dropped DRM: Why I cancelled my order and so should you.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Bit of a merry go round for me - I pre-ordered mine the day after E3 - then cancelled the pre-order the day after the DRM U-turn. But this morning after a bit of thought I have pre-ordered again.

I'm not missing out on this generation of consoles purely for a couple of features that will be missing at launch. PS4 isn't an option, I wouldn't ever buy one or use it even if someone bought one for me.

There are far too many still cool features that I would use on a daily basis on the Xbox one and I will be buying everything digitally as I'm not supporting the used game market and never have done.

Hot swapping between services and games, snapping Skype, TV, internet. Kinect voice and gesture controls and lets not forget the awesome games that are coming. These are just some of the reasons I'm coming back into the fold.

The way MS handled things was really poor and I don't think there has ever been a time I have been more infuriated with a bit of tech that I don't actually own. Taking a step back that just sounds ridiculous and that's the other reason I have re-ordered. Made a snap decision which was in retrospect quite childish, have since picked my toys up and got back in the playpen.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Lol
Just out of curiosity though, anything specific against Sony?

Have built up a hatred of there products and wont ever use them again - 3x PSone broke the week after warranty ran out as did my PS2 same story with a Sony Vaio laptop and a Sony TV, Sony headphones I had broke easily, Sony ericsson mobile I had years back was awful too.

Not used anything Sony for about 8 years now and am a happy consumer of electronics not made by Sony.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Lol
Just out of curiosity though, anything specific against Sony?

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer as well:

I don't have anything necessarily against their products. However, the games offered exclusively on their platform aren't of the quality and type that I get on Xbox. There's no Halo or Gears from Sony (don't see Killzone as at their level). Gran Turismo can't touch Forza anymore. They cater more to the platformer/action crowd with games like Uncharted as their lead franchises, and those just aren't what I like. It's all about the fact that the games aren't as compelling. I REALLY wanted Kingdom Hearts 3, but with that coming to the One, they lost that notch in their belt as well. Add in the PSN fiascos over the past few years and the addition of making it a paid gaming experience, and they just don't offer anything worth giving up a 10-year-old Xbox LIVE subscription for.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
No game is worth a purchase of a console IMO. Just a bad case of priorities you got then. And yeah, not going to buy either console, but given my love for a diverse range of games, I'll probably be getting the PS4 when they release a slim version down the road.

Really? No game is worth a console purchase? Is this what you are saying?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, PS owns the JRPG genre as well, in a big way.

Not to the extent that it used to, though. That's another genre I'm not big on, but Microsoft's managed to get Square Enix to bring Final Fantasy over, and now Kingdom Hearts is coming as well. But again, I'm not a big RPG person myself (Kingdom Hearts and Skyrim being the main ones I've played on console), so that's just another genre that Sony owns that doesn't appeal to me.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Really? No game is worth a console purchase? Is this what you are saying?
He's saying that no SINGLE game is worth a purchase. For example, people have said that they dislike the MLB 2K franchise that they will buy a PS3 solely to get MLB: The Show to play. He is saying that no single game is worth the $400 investment in a console, if that's all you really care to play.

Now, it's a different story when you're talking about the start of a product, of course. Halo: Combat Evolved was the reason I got the original Xbox, and that game basically carried the console in its infancy. However, having a great flagship at launch is a little different than deciding mid-generation that you're willing to drop what will amount to about $500 for a baseball game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes