01-16-2014 02:48 PM
61 123
tools
    So I had an idea. I watched the E3 press conference again, the part with the Project Spark demo, and looked at the guy presenting who was interacting with a tablet. It sure looked like it was a Surface (and way too thin to be a Surface Pro). It had the Windows logo and smooth, gray steel back of a Surface as well.

So yes, the guy was most likely using SmartGlass, as the other guy on stage was guiding the game with Kinect voice commands... hmm, I may have just invalidated the argument I came in here to say. That doesn't prove anything, other than that the Surface is capable of SmartGlass integration of the game (and, I would imagine, actually being able to see the world you're drawing on).

Could it be, actually, that "Windows 8 PCs" literally means Windows 8 PCs and not tablets? I mean, tablets aren't PCs... yes, I suppose they can be classified generally as personal computers, but they are sub-classed as "tablets" and that's how they are referred to. It would be different if they said Windows 8 devices, wouldn't it? Perhaps the full game can only run on a computer or Xbox, but the view can at least be extended for manipulation by any tablet via SmartGlass.
    Microsoft defines PC as Desktop, All-in-One, Slate, Hybrid, Laptop etc, even Surface RT is technically a PC (Personal Computer) nothing wrong with that.
    And yes the guy was using SmartGlass, he even says so and if you look at the graphics of Project Spark it may even run on Tegra3 and pretty sure it could run perfectly fine on a Snapdragon 800.

But if Microsoft says "Windows 8" they are excluding RT with that, and keep in mind on the E3 event the game was not shown on a Surface RT without smartglass, so at least right now there is no RT/WP version.

Also official Spark FAQ..
    • What platforms will Project Spark be on?
    Project Spark will be released on Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Win8 (both PC and tablets such as the Surface Pro).
    Last edited by Storl; 06-23-2013 at 08:50 AM.
    06-23-2013 08:08 AM
    To be honest, if Microsoft could just get playing Project Spark games on Windows Phone going, I'd be a very happy camper.
    07-07-2013 07:54 PM
    And they're giving this away for free? I don't think I will have time for any other launch titles.

JPDVM2014 likes this.
    08-20-2013 04:51 PM
    08-20-2013 09:00 PM
    I wanna see some make a knack-like game and call it "knack-off".

>.>
    08-20-2013 09:20 PM
    This is something extra they can advertise in the fall to sell XBox One's and Windows 8 PCs.
    08-20-2013 10:08 PM
    Project Spark surely looks amazing! ive been following their twitch.tv channel and last stream was amazing!

if you havent seen it:

project_spark - Live Developer Demo - Tower Defense Creation

this was streamed today 21/8/2013! it was a nice, they showed alot of cool things. but Project Spark is surely getting better and better.
    http://www.twitch.tv/project_spark/c/2791993
    Last edited by _Emi_; 08-22-2013 at 03:18 AM.
    08-20-2013 11:51 PM
    Project Spark surely looks amazing!
    No doubt!

Project Spark Unveils Personalized Voice and Motion Capture Studio
    08-22-2013 08:57 AM
    Project Spark lets you build the game, add character with Kinect (eyes-on)

And here's the Infinite World live stream!

08-22-2013 12:46 PM
    10-15-2013 10:38 PM
    That's great and all, but until they get all of the excess stuff out from behind the paywall, I can't really applaud the effort. In fact, this is one of the things that I WOULD accept behind it. Putting Netflix and Hulu and XFinity and that behind the subscription is what I dislike, simply because that is a serious detriment to those who want a console primarily as a media center--they have no incentive to choose a $500 console and Xbox LIVE subscription for their needs when a $400 PS4 can do the same stuff (minus the Kinect features, which are superfluous for most) for less.

In fact, I can't help but consider their intent here. It makes me wonder if they are saying "you get a big, free game with our console!" which allows them to hide the media stuff behind the LIVE subscription without as much complaining. They probably see the media option as a likelier source of subscribers than Spark, so they do this to lure people in. I can't blame them, and it's a good idea, but I'd rather them use Xbox LIVE as a premium service than one that is borderline-essential to own the console. It's almost like the Day One DLC companies like to launch nowadays...
    10-16-2013 02:38 AM
    I'd rather them use Xbox LIVE as a premium service than one that is borderline-essential to own the console. It's almost like the Day One DLC companies like to launch nowadays...
    I actually agree with this. The only media you can really get from "Xbox Live Free" is browsing the marketplace to buy/rent movies (and obviously, downloading games). I think Xbox would be more poised to be the ONE device that does everything for you if the paywall was knocked down for apps such as Netflix, Redbox Instant, Hulu Plus, Amazon, etc... at the very least. People who play online gaming (on a regular or semi-regular basis) shouldn't have a problem with the paywall anyway (since you know they'll be paying for Gold) but what about everyone else? The people who don't care to game online, or just buy the occasional one month card here and there to play with friends? They get locked out.

In the beginning, I was fine with them doing this - people constantly complained in early days about Xbox Live Gold not having enough value - so they added tons of stuff, and Netflix was exclusive to Xbox for quite some time. Times have changed though now, and it would be a GREAT move for Microsoft if they reconsidered their stance and placed some or all of the major entertainment apps outside of the paywall - they've added plenty of content to justify features for Gold (cloud processing, game dvr, dedicated servers, etc), this shouldn't be a problem.

It's almost like the Day One DLC companies like to launch nowadays...
    Meh, I disagree. Game has to be sent off to manufacturing about a month before release, IIRC, so the devs have nothing to do at that point but either patch in stuff to fix known bugs for launch or work on new things they didn't have time to add (or always wanted to add). The publisher paid for their time spent on the game to that point, but any extra features beyond completion have to be funded another way - bug fixing aside, of course. Publishers generally put strict deadlines down for the delivering of games anyway, and development studios have to work hard to finish by that time (and no, I don't think it was easy at all for these companies to officially delay upcoming game titles such as Watch Dogs and Driveclub)
    10-19-2013 03:34 PM
    For anyone wondering about 8.1 or RT, Tom Warren just tweeted out a screenshot of the Windows Store application (yes, it is actually a metro application) and it is 8 or 8.1 only. The recommended system requirements are above even half the surface pros since its recommended that you use 8gb of ram, with the minimum being 4.
    11-30-2013 10:16 AM
    For anyone wondering about 8.1 or RT, Tom Warren just tweeted out a screenshot of the Windows Store application (yes, it is actually a metro application) and it is 8 or 8.1 only. The recommended system requirements are above even half the surface pros since its recommended that you use 8gb of ram, with the minimum being 4.
    https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status...579904/photo/1

Computer upgrade time, I guess :-/
    11-30-2013 11:11 AM
    Smartglass might be able to do SOMETHING even on RT devices.. but I didnt really expect to run this at least on my first gen Surface RT
    11-30-2013 11:46 AM
    Smartglass might be able to do SOMETHING even on RT devices.. but I didnt really expect to run this at least on my first gen Surface RT
    I'm not sure, but based on the system requirements, I would assume RT would be very limited. Maybe just playing a level through streaming via smartglass? Idk, but it would be cool if we could do whatever smartglass trick on Windows Phone too. Now THAT would be something.
    11-30-2013 12:02 PM
    That tweet's not very descriptive. For starters, why are they rating the requirements by mobile GPUs? That's dumb for those with desktops. Also, all they say is "i5" or "i7," but they don't mention the generation. Intel started releasing the "Core ix" CPUs back in 2009, so when they don't specify the generation (or even if they mean mobile- or desktop-class), it's very confusing. Oh, and if they can't get it running on ANY RT devices, it furthers my point that RT is a colossal waste of time and money--for both Microsoft and consumers.
    11-30-2013 09:26 PM
    That tweet's not very descriptive. For starters, why are they rating the requirements by mobile GPUs? That's dumb for those with desktops. Also, all they say is "i5" or "i7," but they don't mention the generation. Intel started releasing the "Core ix" CPUs back in 2009, so when they don't specify the generation (or even if they mean mobile- or desktop-class), it's very confusing. Oh, and if they can't get it running on ANY RT devices, it furthers my point that RT is a colossal waste of time and money--for both Microsoft and consumers.
    1) I think they're making the assumption that since this is a touch-based game, there's a very good chance you're not using it on a desktop, so no need to include desktop-class GPUs.

2) I agree on the CPU, but its still in beta and they probably still have some last minute details to iron out.

3) I also agree on why is this not available on RT. I mean, I thought the 360 was getting this game so why can't the Surface 2 play it?
    11-30-2013 10:44 PM
    I was talking to a developer about bringing a WP8 game to Windows 8, and he said that for it to happen, you HAVE to have a non-touch solution for the controls. That likely means that Project Sparks plays like an MMO on a non-touch PC, and I'd even argue that a non-touch PC is a better option than having a small tablet for the game. WASD walking and all of that and Roller Coaster Tycoon-like menu navigation (not really sure how it goes, in reality) sound like they'd work just fine.

The issue is, they're not really aiming this at the touch-based stuff, per se. They're aiming it at laptops and hybrids in general, which run on the same hardware (on the x86 front). Not having a guideline for desktop gaming sucks because many won't want to get it on a desktop when the requirements don't specify non-mobile needs. For example, I have a Radeon 5850 in my desktop. This calls for an 8850M. That normally is a 3-generation gap in performance, from 5000 series to 8000 series, but if you actually look at the specifications between the two, my desktop video card basically wins out in everything but memory quantity. Just looking at the recommendation though, it sounds like my card is 2 or 3 years behind what's needed. The same could go for the CPU, where it generically asks for an "i5" CPU.

I simply don't believe this needs even a Sandy Bridge i5, though. We're talking about a fairly-casual game that's asking (vaguely) for hardware needed to run a game like Battlefield, depending on the Core CPU's generation. On top of that, just saying "Core i7" in the mobile space makes little sense, because they run through several variants of that, with "M" and "U" versions being a couple of examples. Maybe it's just the not-yet-ready nature of the game, but they'd better REALLY tighten up the specifications before release, because it's 10 times more confusing than it should be.
    12-01-2013 01:57 AM
    On your first point though, would those rules still apply in this scenario? Your developer will be bringing a game from WP8 to W8, but Project Spark was shown off at E3 and is technically an Xbox game, which have a different set of standards. I would imagine that Xbox --> W8 would be different than WP8 --> W8 so that might have something to do with it.
    12-02-2013 08:42 AM
    I doubt there would be anything different. They wouldn't want to **** people off by releasing a MAJOR Windows 8 game with such a massive chunk of fragmentation. Requiring touch input would be a terrible strategy, because I imagine mouse-and-keyboard controls would work really well for building in this game. Yeah, it's coming from Xbox, but they'd get a ton of bad attention if they started fragmenting Windows 8 users based on displays.
    12-02-2013 02:30 PM
    12-03-2013 12:07 PM
    Has anyone got their beta key yet?
    12-03-2013 04:13 PM
    Nope. Still waiting!
    12-03-2013 08:48 PM
    Just got the email! :D
    01-03-2014 08:16 PM
61 123