Project Spark looks amazing

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think he meant in terms of popularity. I think it has the potential of being the Xbox's Minecraft. A game where people are still buying and talking about it years later.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think he meant in terms of popularity. I think it has the potential of being the Xbox's Minecraft. A game where people are still buying and talking about it years later.

There are many of those games that exist. I mean, Halo: Combat Evolved got a 10-year anniversary re-release, for starters. Console games don't really have the potential for a long-term community like that because they change so much every few years. Sequels are what tend to carry franchises on consoles, much as WoW has changed a LOT from its inception due to patches and expansions.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The best thing about this game is.. not only is it a X1 game, it's a Windows game with full touch & controller capabilties, im not sure about RT devices but at least you can use smartglass to play this game through your X1, using touch is obviously faster and more precise than using the controller :)

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The best thing about this game is.. not only is it a X1 game, it's a Windows game with full touch & controller capabilties, im not sure about RT devices but at least you can use smartglass to play this game through your X1, using touch is obviously faster and more precise than using the controller :)

Did not know that. That's actually pretty awesome.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that this game will be completely free.

It is probably more likely freemium with paid content prefab packs.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Might be getting confused with another thing they said. I know for a fact they stated "all games created with Project Spark will be free". Maybe this is what you're thinking of?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Might be getting confused with another thing they said. I know for a fact they stated "all games created with Project Spark will be free". Maybe this is what you're thinking of?

Nope. Project Spark is free.

I do agree that it will probably support micro-transactions for additional content.
It would be really cool if people could create content packs to be used in Project Spark.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

You heard right, it will be completely free - it's even mentioned as free at news.xbox.com, and a simple internet search will confirm it on practically every other website. Free for Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Windows 8 PCs. They're always careful to say "Windows 8 PCs" so I imagine this game will be available in the Windows Store as a metro app.

I'm sure you're spot on with it being freemium. They've referred to it as being "free to play" a few times, which is a keyword for the pay structure they may very well have for it. In the Part 1 interview of the youtube video posted in this thread, it is mentioned that they will have DLC bringing many different styles and environments to the game. I imagine those will be paid. That still shouldn't stop anyone from "gluing together" their existing artwork pieces to make spaceships and such, as was mentioned in the interview.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily. An app can be a Metro/Modern app, but have higher system requirements.

Except we're not talking about system requirements from a hardware perspective here. This is a matter of having the Windows Store act as a common ground for Windows 8 and Windows RT to sort-of share their app experiences, rather than fragmenting them, like we see with Windows Phone 7 and 8. I don't know that any Windows Store application will work on only ONE of 8 or RT. It's just my opinion, but I'd expect Project Spark to either launch as an x86 application separately from the Windows Store, or I think it will be RT-compatible. I'd guess that the person who gave the statement was so used to saying "Windows 8," that he MEANT 8 and RT.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Except we're not talking about system requirements from a hardware perspective here. This is a matter of having the Windows Store act as a common ground for Windows 8 and Windows RT to sort-of share their app experiences, rather than fragmenting them, like we see with Windows Phone 7 and 8. I don't know that any Windows Store application will work on only ONE of 8 or RT. It's just my opinion, but I'd expect Project Spark to either launch as an x86 application separately from the Windows Store, or I think it will be RT-compatible. I'd guess that the person who gave the statement was so used to saying "Windows 8," that he MEANT 8 and RT.

I can see it being a separate x86 app for playing on the move and I can see it running through smartglass as a controller extension for RT devices. I honestly don't think RT has the horsepower to run it natively as an app.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I can see it being a separate x86 app for playing on the move and I can see it running through smartglass as a controller extension for RT devices. I honestly don't think RT has the horsepower to run it natively as an app.

Microsoft created the game. It would not make any sense for them to leave out their two Surfaces because of low system qualities. Both RT and Pro should be supported.

shog7n

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
At least, if you have a Xbox One/360 and Windows RT device, you can use SmartGlass to get a similar editing/playing experience on it (live streaming & input like remote desktop, running smoothly) check our the demo video of that: Project Spark E3

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Hard to say. I mean, the RT devices tend to have chips that are on-par with smartphone ones. If the game can't run on an S4-powered Windows Phone device, it probably can't run on a Tegra 3-powered Windows RT device, either. It might be capable of running on next-generation ARM chips (Tegra 4, Snapdragon 600/800), but I don't know if Microsoft would still bring it to those devices because it might lead to user complaints over assumed compatibility with all RT devices if it was published in the Windows Store.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss