01-16-2014 01:48 PM
61 123
tools
    I think I seriously underestimated Project Spark the first time I saw it. It just keeps looking better and better.

'Project Spark': build a game, or don't, with Microsoft's incredible new sandbox | The Verge

And maybe I'm blind but I swear there was already a Project Spark thread.
    Mystictrust likes this.
    06-20-2013 04:40 PM
    This will be the WoW of XB1. I'm already drooling over it.
    HeyCori likes this.
    06-20-2013 05:23 PM
    This will be the WoW of XB1. I'm already drooling over it.
    Did you play WoW? I don't see any elements of that (and I've played it) in this myself. Just wondering what about Project Spark makes you think of that game.
    06-20-2013 07:13 PM
    I think he meant in terms of popularity. I think it has the potential of being the Xbox's Minecraft. A game where people are still buying and talking about it years later.
    06-20-2013 07:20 PM
    06-20-2013 08:53 PM
    I think he meant in terms of popularity. I think it has the potential of being the Xbox's Minecraft. A game where people are still buying and talking about it years later.
    There are many of those games that exist. I mean, Halo: Combat Evolved got a 10-year anniversary re-release, for starters. Console games don't really have the potential for a long-term community like that because they change so much every few years. Sequels are what tend to carry franchises on consoles, much as WoW has changed a LOT from its inception due to patches and expansions.
    06-20-2013 09:23 PM
    The best thing about this game is.. not only is it a X1 game, it's a Windows game with full touch & controller capabilties, im not sure about RT devices but at least you can use smartglass to play this game through your X1, using touch is obviously faster and more precise than using the controller :)
    Last edited by Storl; 06-21-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    06-21-2013 07:58 AM
    The best thing about this game is.. not only is it a X1 game, it's a Windows game with full touch & controller capabilties, im not sure about RT devices but at least you can use smartglass to play this game through your X1, using touch is obviously faster and more precise than using the controller :)
    Did not know that. That's actually pretty awesome.
    06-21-2013 10:12 AM
    I thought I read somewhere that this game will be completely free.

It is probably more likely freemium with paid content prefab packs.
    06-21-2013 12:26 PM

Might be getting confused with another thing they said. I know for a fact they stated "all games created with Project Spark will be free". Maybe this is what you're thinking of?
    06-21-2013 12:33 PM
    Might be getting confused with another thing they said. I know for a fact they stated "all games created with Project Spark will be free". Maybe this is what you're thinking of?
    Nope. Project Spark is free.

I do agree that it will probably support micro-transactions for additional content.
    It would be really cool if people could create content packs to be used in Project Spark.
    06-21-2013 12:38 PM

You heard right, it will be completely free - it's even mentioned as free at news.xbox.com, and a simple internet search will confirm it on practically every other website. Free for Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Windows 8 PCs. They're always careful to say "Windows 8 PCs" so I imagine this game will be available in the Windows Store as a metro app.

I'm sure you're spot on with it being freemium. They've referred to it as being "free to play" a few times, which is a keyword for the pay structure they may very well have for it. In the Part 1 interview of the youtube video posted in this thread, it is mentioned that they will have DLC bringing many different styles and environments to the game. I imagine those will be paid. That still shouldn't stop anyone from "gluing together" their existing artwork pieces to make spaceships and such, as was mentioned in the interview.
    06-21-2013 02:34 PM
    They're always careful to say "Windows 8 PCs" so I imagine this game will be available in the Windows Store as a metro app.
    IDK, I'd imagine that, if anything, it's a statement that it WON'T be a Metro app. If it was, they'd mention RT in that as well, no?
    06-21-2013 03:46 PM
    IDK, I'd imagine that, if anything, it's a statement that it WON'T be a Metro app. If it was, they'd mention RT in that as well, no?
    Not necessarily. An app can be a Metro/Modern app, but have higher system requirements.
    06-21-2013 03:51 PM
    Not necessarily. An app can be a Metro/Modern app, but have higher system requirements.
    Except we're not talking about system requirements from a hardware perspective here. This is a matter of having the Windows Store act as a common ground for Windows 8 and Windows RT to sort-of share their app experiences, rather than fragmenting them, like we see with Windows Phone 7 and 8. I don't know that any Windows Store application will work on only ONE of 8 or RT. It's just my opinion, but I'd expect Project Spark to either launch as an x86 application separately from the Windows Store, or I think it will be RT-compatible. I'd guess that the person who gave the statement was so used to saying "Windows 8," that he MEANT 8 and RT.
    06-21-2013 10:24 PM
    Except we're not talking about system requirements from a hardware perspective here. This is a matter of having the Windows Store act as a common ground for Windows 8 and Windows RT to sort-of share their app experiences, rather than fragmenting them, like we see with Windows Phone 7 and 8. I don't know that any Windows Store application will work on only ONE of 8 or RT. It's just my opinion, but I'd expect Project Spark to either launch as an x86 application separately from the Windows Store, or I think it will be RT-compatible. I'd guess that the person who gave the statement was so used to saying "Windows 8," that he MEANT 8 and RT.
    I can see it being a separate x86 app for playing on the move and I can see it running through smartglass as a controller extension for RT devices. I honestly don't think RT has the horsepower to run it natively as an app.
    06-22-2013 08:01 AM
    I can see it being a separate x86 app for playing on the move and I can see it running through smartglass as a controller extension for RT devices. I honestly don't think RT has the horsepower to run it natively as an app.
    Microsoft created the game. It would not make any sense for them to leave out their two Surfaces because of low system qualities. Both RT and Pro should be supported.
    06-22-2013 08:14 AM
    At least, if you have a Xbox One/360 and Windows RT device, you can use SmartGlass to get a similar editing/playing experience on it (live streaming & input like remote desktop, running smoothly) check our the demo video of that: Project Spark E3
    06-22-2013 09:30 AM
    Microsoft created the game. It would not make any sense for them to leave out their two Surfaces because of low system qualities. Both RT and Pro should be supported.
    Making it x86-only wouldn't leave out both Surfaces, as the Pro is an x86 machine.
    06-22-2013 10:56 AM
    Hard to say. I mean, the RT devices tend to have chips that are on-par with smartphone ones. If the game can't run on an S4-powered Windows Phone device, it probably can't run on a Tegra 3-powered Windows RT device, either. It might be capable of running on next-generation ARM chips (Tegra 4, Snapdragon 600/800), but I don't know if Microsoft would still bring it to those devices because it might lead to user complaints over assumed compatibility with all RT devices if it was published in the Windows Store.
    06-22-2013 10:58 AM
    So I had an idea. I watched the E3 press conference again, the part with the Project Spark demo, and looked at the guy presenting who was interacting with a tablet. It sure looked like it was a Surface (and way too thin to be a Surface Pro). It had the Windows logo and smooth, gray steel back of a Surface as well.

So yes, the guy was most likely using SmartGlass, as the other guy on stage was guiding the game with Kinect voice commands... hmm, I may have just invalidated the argument I came in here to say. That doesn't prove anything, other than that the Surface is capable of SmartGlass integration of the game (and, I would imagine, actually being able to see the world you're drawing on).

Could it be, actually, that "Windows 8 PCs" literally means Windows 8 PCs and not tablets? I mean, tablets aren't PCs... yes, I suppose they can be classified generally as personal computers, but they are sub-classed as "tablets" and that's how they are referred to. It would be different if they said Windows 8 devices, wouldn't it? Perhaps the full game can only run on a computer or Xbox, but the view can at least be extended for manipulation by any tablet via SmartGlass.
    06-22-2013 02:37 PM
    Computing might be done on the Xbox, while the Surface/Smartglass might've been getting the just the streamed "video" that it interacts with Wifi direct? So remote desktop-like, perhaps?
    06-22-2013 03:33 PM
    I am very interested in this game. On their FAQ for the forum page they say it originated from the Kudos game lab that was a indie game I believe. I remember buying it. It was a lot of fun. The world was small and slightly limited. But the visual simplistic programing of characters and other things was awesome and a unique idea. This game is a much improved version of that and it looks really awesome. It appears they have made the worlds way larger than the kudos game lab. From what I have seen from videos of game play. But the worlds still look smaller than a world compared to minecraft. One of my main concerns is the size of the worlds/map. Also maybe the number of different options of characters and buildings we can design. As well as how much detail and customization we can do. I love to build all sorts of great awesome themed stuff on minecraft. My brother and I have been working on a Egyptian themed world for a while. Anyway. The visual programming is the best part about project spark in my opinion. I look forward to playing it.
    06-22-2013 04:02 PM
    But the worlds still look smaller than a world compared to minecraft. One of my main concerns is the size of the worlds/map. Also maybe the number of different options of characters and buildings we can design. As well as how much detail and customization we can do. I love to build all sorts of great awesome themed stuff on minecraft. My brother and I have been working on a Egyptian themed world for a while.
    Just some thoughts...

The team has stated that you can link multiple maps together, so campaigns would certainly be possible. Now, I imagine that when you reach one of the points where you go to another map, there would be some sort of loading screen... but imagine if you could set up a trigger so that you "continue" to another extension of the world when you reach the edge of the map? Couldn't you then string together a bunch and make a huge game world? Yes, there would be loading screens as the new map loads up (just my guess), but you'd still have a huge world!

I think the detail and customization will be much greater than we've even seen. Players can create custom AI behaviors, as an example, and you can "glue" game elements together to make something brand new. I'm going to keep coming back to this, but I LOVED hearing in one of the videos how you could glue elements together to make a spaceship. Of course, no, we don't know if it will have the level of customization that Minecraft has - it could have more or less - and I doubt we'll be able to fully answer that until the game releases, but it could be possible.

I do worry about characters and buildings though... I'm sure you can piece elements together to make your own buildings, but I think that still can only go so far. I imagine we'll be seeing A LOT of DLC packs that add elements such as characters and buildings.

I'm excited about the buildings though. Not sure if you can actually "go inside" the player's house (as an example), but you could probably link the door to another map where you create the house interior - and that's pretty damn awesome.
    06-22-2013 04:28 PM
    Sweet! I didn't know about the link of maps. That will definitely be cool. I would hope they would allow us to link maps on the edge of a map. The glue feature is cool! That will definitely help with customization. Thanks for the update and replying with me information I wasn't aware of. We will have to wait and see how well this game works. But I am definitely more excited about it now!
    06-22-2013 04:35 PM
61 123